Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've always been told that you should down tune them for storage, but that kind of contradicts the people who say you shouldn't take off all your strings at once when you restring a guitar. I would think leaving it strung without playing it might warp the neck, but some people say having no tension on the neck will also mess it up. So I'm not sure anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I have the option to install my audio software on XP or Windows 7, is there any reason I should use one over the other? Is XP going to be easier for driver compatibility at this point or am I putting myself on a dead end road with future releases?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Epi Lepi posted:

I've always been told that you should down tune them for storage, but that kind of contradicts the people who say you shouldn't take off all your strings at once when you restring a guitar. I would think leaving it strung without playing it might warp the neck, but some people say having no tension on the neck will also mess it up. So I'm not sure anymore.

It doesn't contradict taking your guitar strings off to swap them at all. A guitar neck can handle no tension on it for a couple of hours or even days. It's only when you talk long term storage, months at a time, that neck warping becomes a factor. It's good to keep some tension in storage on the neck because the back bow of the neck will be dampened by the tension of the strings. Without the strings there, it's easier for the neck to warp.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Downtuning protocol varies between manufacturers. The advice ranges from "don't do it" (Rickerbacker) to "do it or the headstock will loving break off" (Ovation). The best thing to do is contact the company and see what they say. If you can't for whatever reason, my general rule is to loosen the strings somewhat but not so they're totally slack. I go a full step down or so. This has worked fine for me personally but definitely take that like you would any anecdote.

What I can say for sure is that correct packing is at least as important as string tension- you want to be absolutely sure that the neck and headstock are properly supported and that the case is held shut securely, either by really good latches or additional straps.

On storage I'm inclined to agree with Side Effects. The truss rod exerts constant force to counteract string pull. Leaving the guitar without strings for a extended period of time without also reducing truss rod tension could lead to some nasty results.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Optiquest posted:

Whats the opinion on downtuning guitars for storage/travel? I've got guitars that I won't see for 2 months that have to go across the lake.

I'm not sure what you mean by "across the lake" but I think the main thing to worry about would be subjecting a guitar to dramatic and sudden changes in temperature or humidity, like one might find in the cargo hold of a plane. If you absolutely have to check a guitar as luggage or ship it by air, I would agree with Ferrous to tune it down a step or two, and give it a day or two to acclimate before tuning to pitch.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Why is it that Cubase can hear my microphone when I open a new project, but not when I open the older one I'm trying to add vocals to? I can hear my voice coming through the headphones, but the little level bars on the transport panel aren't showing up and nothing records. I don't get this problem on new projects, just this one. What do I have turned off?

I'm using a Shure mic through a Lexicon Alpha USB interface with Cubase SX.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Are you monitoring it? It should still record though, even if you can't hear it on the monitor.

Sometimes on my older versions of Cubase (SX3), my old project's buses would be messed up for no reason.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

No. 9 posted:

Are you monitoring it? It should still record though, even if you can't hear it on the monitor.

I can hear it fine through the monitor, assuming the monitor is what I think it is-- my Lexicon has a monitor mix and I can hear it through that through Cubase, as I can with other projects. Or maybe you mean the red mute-y button or whatever, which I've flicked on and off a few times. Anyway, I can hear the mic coming through, like I say, It's just there's no bouncing level bars to indicate Cubase is willing to record it.

I'm sure it's some stupid option somewhere I can't find, like my previous mic problem was. Annoying...

quote:

Sometimes on my older versions of Cubase (SX3), my old project's buses would be messed up for no reason.

I still don't really get what buses are exactly or how they work, but this seems to happen to me. I keep opening up projects and finding things that used to work suddenly aren't working anymore, even when I haven't changed anything. Then sometimes they work again. I'm using SX3...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Some friends are starting a guitar company and want someone to wind some pickups for them. What's a reliable place online to get some DIY pickup material, like the magnets and bobbins and wire?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Stew Mac.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Stew Mac.
Man, I'm dumb. I thought it'd be really tough to track this poo poo down, but mojo music supply has all that stuff, too.

Anyways, now to get to learning the step-by-step so I can get windin'!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380201290492&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

How realistic/possible would it be to fix this item?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Epi Lepi posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380201290492&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

How realistic/possible would it be to fix this item?
It seems like there's some wood missing from the break, so not very realistic would be my guess. Those Epiphones are bolt-on, so you could just get another neck like: http://cgi.ebay.com/MIK-Korean-Epip...0#ht_1288wt_961

But the cost of the two pieces is about the same as a B Stock from Musician's Friend.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518391V

edit: actually, just find a cheap Fender neck and with a little routing you can go all John Entwistle with it - http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8455999&highlight=fender#post8455999

DrChu fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 30, 2010

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

scuz posted:

Man, I'm dumb. I thought it'd be really tough to track this poo poo down, but mojo music supply has all that stuff, too.

Anyways, now to get to learning the step-by-step so I can get windin'!

Check this out as a little how to.
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0036_custompkup.hzml

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Which instrument would you recommend for a beginner who's learning to play music?

Everyone says guitar (or even banjo, recorder and ukulele), but I'd like to hear other suggestions that might be out there. This is a bit of selfish question, as I'm looking for an instrument that I could learn to play and maybe sing along with (I'm an alto, if that makes any difference).

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 3, 2010

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

legsarerequired posted:

as I'm looking for an instrument that I could learn to play and maybe sing along with.

Clearly you should get a modular synth and the nicest vocoder money can buy :xd:

really those suggested instruments would be a good start, esp if you want to sing. Maybe you could play harmonica and take turns between singing and playing ?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

legsarerequired posted:

Which instrument would you recommend for a beginner who's learning to play music?

Everyone says guitar (or even banjo, recorder and ukulele), but I'd like to hear other suggestions that might be out there. This is a bit of selfish question, as I'm looking for an instrument that I could learn to play and maybe sing along with (I'm an alto, if that makes any difference).

Piano? I learned piano starting in middle school and learning guitar and bass were easy afterward and voice always goes with piano.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
What's the best way to program drums in this day and age? In the past I've always applied a soundfont of the drums I want to a MIDI instrument, made the drums with a notation program, then played the file and recorded in Audition to make demo tracks.

Now I'm getting ready to record an album and I need a program with which to write drum tracks, apply samples, be able to insert various triplets and tempo changes within the song (aka not Fruity Loops) and export individual drums to .wav. The old way I made drums would take loving FOREVER if I had to notate the drums onto 12 different staff and record each one in real time!

By the way, my music is complex metal/rock/whatever core, not electronic-type stuff.

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

DaveSpillings posted:

What's the best way to program drums in this day and age?
It may not be the best way, but for me, ezDrummer in Ableton Live is the bee's knees. You can have individual drums output to separate tracks while keeping all the MIDI bits in one easy to read/edit track. Triplets and tempo changes are very easy to do in Live as well.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Yep, Live is very capable in the drum arena. That said, I really don't like Live for recording (go figure right?). Logic has some good libraries and the time stretching tool can be really useful to add subtle changes in feel. The notation tool is also much improved from what it was so if that's how you've been doing things it ought to be easy. I also think Logic is a really good DAW all around and that it would better serve your needs for recording in general. That's very much based on my own preference though- any full fledged DAW with decent midi sequencing should yield satisfactory results nowadays. Depending on the sound you want it might be worth investing in some good sample libraries.

I also highly recommend hacking around with an IR (impulse response) compatible reverb for your drum tracks. You can find IR files online for all kinds of rooms (and Logic has plenty out of the box) from nice studios to cathedrals to caves. Good samples with a well-chosen and calibrated IR reverb can sound pretty drat good in my admittedly limited experience. Again, my recommendation is largely based on Logic's overall usefulness in recording and editing. Compare the drum capabilities alone against ProTools and Ableton and it's down to a matter of preference so try demo versions and whatnot and see what you like.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

A friend of mine was wondering about this, figured I would ask in here.

Right now he is setup like so (quoted from him):

"Guitar to a Dual rec which has a GT6 in the effects loop, which is set to output midi signals on foot switch, that has a midi cable going to an Amp Gizmo, which plugs back into the footswitch port of my amp, allowing simultaneous effects/amp channel switching. At the end of this fun chain is his 4x12 cab.

Now, The amp gizmo hasn't arrived yet but thats the plan. Now I've started to get curious about the GT6's midi capabilities. I'm wanting to know if I could use it to trigger pre recorded sounds on a laptop, when it fires off certain midi signals. In order to do that I would need to split the midi signal somehow, as there's only one midi out on the GT-6. Can you get Y splitters that work as one would expect?

Also have no experience in midi sampling in a live environment. Would a laptop be the easiest way to go? What gear do i need to get midi signals to trigger sounds, and output to a PA/Mixer?"

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Clearly you should get a modular synth and the nicest vocoder money can buy :xd:

really those suggested instruments would be a good start, esp if you want to sing. Maybe you could play harmonica and take turns between singing and playing ?

guitar because nobody's going to go out and buy a piano. But if you do have access to one you can practice on, play piano.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Sounds great! I suppose I just don't want to overlook something amazing.

I actually play a bit of keyboard, but I realized the other day that I don't have much fun doing it. The one thing I will miss is that I haven't picked too many guitars or mandolins that have as much as range as my keyboard, hah.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey I have a small question, does anyone remember a website that had diagrams of various bands' live gear? The diagrams were all nicely made and consistent, almost like a flowchart, showing the pedals in the chain and all the rack gear and amps for the guitarists in the band. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or anything else about it

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
http://www.guitargeek.com/

Hasn't really been updated for years. Lots of good info still there though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Col.Kiwi posted:

http://www.guitargeek.com/

Hasn't really been updated for years. Lots of good info still there though.

Perfect! Cheers

EDIT: Wow, you're not kidding about a lack of updates. Shame, it could be a really awesome resource

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 3, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The fuzz in my multi-effects box just isn't cutting it for me anymore. I'm thinking about getting myself a Fuzz Factory. It seems like a great device.

Is there any reason I shouldn't get one?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I have an old DOD FX72, and there are a few things that are really ticking me off.

First, the pedal switch sucks. Sometimes the pedal doesn't turn off when I want it do, other times it won't turn on when I want it to. It's a tactile switch that is depressed by a small post on the plastic stomp pedal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Secondly, the LED doesn't light up. DOD thought that it was a good idea to require 10 volts to light up the LED, and to hell with the 9 volt battery.

So I want to replace the switch with something a little more unbroken, and I want my LED to work as well. In my searching, I found this switch from small bear electronics: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=20 "3PDT--True-bypass, and light an LED with the third pole." (not on the page, but in the search results that lead to the item)

Question 1: Can I use this switch on my pedal?

Question 2: Using the 3rd pole, can I replace the factory LED with something a little brighter and more to my taste?

I'll post pictures of the guts inside the pedal if necessary, but I'm tired and have a toothache right now. Now I doubt this'll work, I'm just not that lucky to get it right on my first shot. So if you have any ideas about installing a stomp switch that will light up an LED, let me know.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Horse Divorce posted:

Question 1: Can I use this switch on my pedal?
Yes, you could drill out the necessary hole to wire that switch if space permitted, but since it's probably made out of plastic, I can't tell you anecdotally if that would be best. If you're uncomfortable doing it, you could always look at the current (faulty) switch and see if it's replaceable with one of these. :)

Horse Divorce posted:

Question 2: Using the 3rd pole, can I replace the factory LED with something a little brighter and more to my taste?
If you went with the 3PDT switch, absolutely. Otherwise, you'd have to find out what resistor DOD used for the LED and hope to god that you can change it to a lower value.

Horse Divorce posted:

I'll post pictures of the guts inside the pedal if necessary, but I'm tired and have a toothache right now. Now I doubt this'll work, I'm just not that lucky to get it right on my first shot. So if you have any ideas about installing a stomp switch that will light up an LED, let me know.
This would be helpful in any case.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Why is it that when I record midi into Cubase the timing of the notes goes all wacky? It's not that there's a lag on them, it's that it jumbles the timing of my playing seemingly randomly, so a -.-.-. rhythm becomes .--.-...-. etc. What's going on?

edit: when I play through my headphones there's no problem, it's just actually recording the drat midi that's broken.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 7, 2010

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Popcorn posted:

Why is it that when I record midi into Cubase the timing of the notes goes all wacky? It's not that there's a lag on them, it's that it jumbles the timing of my playing seemingly randomly, so a -.-.-. rhythm becomes .--.-...-. etc. What's going on?

edit: when I play through my headphones there's no problem, it's just actually recording the drat midi that's broken.

Until someone can come along and answer definitively, you might want to check your Quantize settings to make sure that's not twisting the incoming data into a set timing.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

mezzir posted:

Apologies for the bump but got damnit this is still bugging the poo poo out of me and I've had no luck identifying it whatsoever :smith:

I know this is from like two months ago, but i didn't see a response to it and I actually know what it is!!!

"Touched" by V.A.S.T.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S_R13jV11Q

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I don't want to make a brand new thread about this just yet, so let me check here first. I am beginning (literally, beginning today) to learn the violin, and I don't see a single violin topic on the 7 pages of the forum. Is there a thread somewhere on getting started? Can anyone recommend a good DIY approach to learning how to play? I don't even know how to read music, so I'm going to see how far I get before ragequitting.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Until someone can come along and answer definitively, you might want to check your Quantize settings to make sure that's not twisting the incoming data into a set timing.

Hey, that was it! Thanks, dude!

OK, now I have two new questions. I am fast learning, and hungry for knowledge.

1) Can anyone recommend a good, cheapish entry-level midi keyboard controller? I think ideally one with a modulation wheel (I don't know how standard they are).

2) What's the best way to record internet radio broadcasts through my PC? I want to sample streaming radio in my music.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 8, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

Hey, that was it! Thanks, dude!

OK, now I have two new questions. I am fast learning, and hungry for knowledge.

1) Can anyone recommend a good, cheapish entry-level midi keyboard controller? I think ideally one with a modulation wheel (I don't know how standard they are).

I like the Edirol PCR controllers on account of Edirol/Roland is really good about driver support. The M-Audio Axiom controllers are also pretty popular. Really most keyboard MIDI controllers (until you get into pro-level digital pianos) are pretty similar in terms of features and build quality.

Popcorn posted:

2) What's the best way to record internet radio broadcasts through my PC? I want to sample streaming radio in my music.

Streamripper works well for shoutcast/icecast/mp3-based streams. For other stuff you might want to take a look at Total Recorder or Virtual Audio Cable, though I haven't tried them myself and they're not free. (I would also love to know if anybody knows of a good, free general audio capture program).

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

For internet radio in pls or m3u format, I just toss it into foobar2000, start playing it, and then right click -> convert to save the audio stream to a file.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Popcorn posted:

Screamer Radio. Good little tool. It has dozens of preset stations for a wide variety of genres, or you can input your own URL for a station. It will record easily. It also records any commercials into separate MP3 files that you can easily delete.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't want to make a brand new thread about this just yet, so let me check here first. I am beginning (literally, beginning today) to learn the violin, and I don't see a single violin topic on the 7 pages of the forum. Is there a thread somewhere on getting started? Can anyone recommend a good DIY approach to learning how to play? I don't even know how to read music, so I'm going to see how far I get before ragequitting.

Look up suzuki method books that come with CDs if you're determined to learn yourself.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know what setup Harrison used on "You Never Give Me Your Money" on Abbey Road? That beginning guitar part is probably some of the warmest sounding guitar work I can think of. I'd really like to know what all he was using to get that sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKocb4APv-A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Okay, band name legal question:

The band that I'm in was planning on being the Hitchcock Blondes. In the process of creating the facebook and myspace pages for us, I found out that there is a band in California with the same name and that a band in Wisbech, UK had to change their name because of it. How do we determine whether or not they'll come after us about it? The guitarist (whose project this really belongs to) is dead-set on the name and refuses to change it.