Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

Ugh, loving advrider has a DR650 thread that is at this time, two thousand and sixty pages

I'm on page 50 and I know I'm going to wind up going through the whole thing, since I'm so hot for DR650's right now.

Dudes are talking about how they're ditching their BMW's and KTM's for DR650's :psypop: I knew they were capable bikes, but I never knew it was like that.

I was gay for all DRs until I started having issues with mine, and my friends have started having issues with theirs, but they've also been making the things for so long I'm sure you won't get stumped. They are way cooler than the KLR650, thats for sure.

I thought about one, but I still have lingering issues with them. I'm buying an XR650 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What sort of issues? I know the early 2nd-gen 650's had paper base gaskets that could leak, but thats all I've heard about them.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Z3n posted:

I don't particularly approve of ghost rider from a good citizen standpoint, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy what he does. He's a phenomenally skilled rider, and I love watching people exploit the real capabilities of a motorcycle. Plus, it's awesome to see a turboed busa that's not a garage or strip queen, he rides the gently caress out of that thing.

Wow, I just watched that video and man does that piss me off. Usually I avoid the 'extreme street riding' videos for exactly this reason.

He's a jackass and should have his license taken away. gently caress him for endangering other people on the road and all of us other riders by proxy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like watching ghost rider videos, but what scares me is that people think they can do that same stuff.

thats where it gets really dangerous.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Oakey posted:

Wow, I just watched that video and man does that piss me off. Usually I avoid the 'extreme street riding' videos for exactly this reason.

He's a jackass and should have his license taken away. gently caress him for endangering other people on the road and all of us other riders by proxy.

The thing about guys who ride stupid fast on the street is that they rarely crash. If you're good enough to ride stupid fast, chances are you understand where to take the risks and where not to. Most of the crashes I've dealt with over the years of riding up in the bay were inexperienced riders of all ages. Crashes by the "fast crew" were exceedingly rare, on the order of once every 4-5 years, although almost always bad.

Overall, he's not blocking traffic, like the stunters on the bay bridge. He's probably less of a danger, statistically, than most of the people on the road (at least out here in the states, where your car is a place to text/talk on the phone/do makeup/eat breakfast). If you told me you were going to put me on the road with either one person, picked at random, or ghost rider, I'd take ghost rider every time.

The worst crashes I always saw were idiots trying to keep up with the fast guys. Those are the danger on our roads. The guys who ride stupid fast are just very convenient, obvious scapegoats...they're honestly not the ones to be concerned about.

Go to killboy and look at the guys who are running wide/crashing. The vast majority of the time, it's squids, not the guys all leathered up and ready to go.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Z3n posted:

The thing about guys who ride stupid fast on the street is that they rarely crash. If you're good enough to ride stupid fast, chances are you understand where to take the risks and where not to. Most of the crashes I've dealt with over the years of riding up in the bay were inexperienced riders of all ages. Crashes by the "fast crew" were exceedingly rare, on the order of once every 4-5 years, although almost always bad.

Overall, he's not blocking traffic, like the stunters on the bay bridge. He's probably less of a danger, statistically, than most of the people on the road (at least out here in the states, where your car is a place to text/talk on the phone/do makeup/eat breakfast). If you told me you were going to put me on the road with either one person, picked at random, or ghost rider, I'd take ghost rider every time.

The worst crashes I always saw were idiots trying to keep up with the fast guys. Those are the danger on our roads. The guys who ride stupid fast are just very convenient, obvious scapegoats...they're honestly not the ones to be concerned about.

Go to killboy and look at the guys who are running wide/crashing. The vast majority of the time, it's squids, not the guys all leathered up and ready to go.

Yeah and I wonder how many accidents or near-accidents he's caused splitting that close and at that speed. Maybe it's different in CA and people are used to it but considering here it's illegal I know I would at least flinch if I were in my car on the highway and someone did that since I'm not used to it. I know for a fact that when people split recklessly here like that it tends to piss off the cars and I really need to be careful passing them afterwards (legally).

I don't care how good he is, you ride like that on the track only. I guess if you tell me CA drivers are used to that I'll buy it, but I find it a bit hard to believe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Oakey posted:

Yeah and I wonder how many accidents or near-accidents he's caused splitting that close and at that speed. Maybe it's different in CA and people are used to it but considering here it's illegal I know I would at least flinch if I were in my car on the highway and someone did that since I'm not used to it. I know for a fact that when people split recklessly here like that it tends to piss off the cars and I really need to be careful passing them afterwards (legally).

I don't care how good he is, you ride like that on the track only. I guess if you tell me CA drivers are used to that I'll buy it, but I find it a bit hard to believe.

I've been spooked by bikes passing that I didn't see coming before, but I can still keep my vehicle on the road and in my lane when that happens without any serious issues. If someone can't handle their car on a freeway when something unexpected happens, how can you expect them to properly handle an emergency situation, like a blowout or something running into the road? Hell, what about a truck jake braking right next to you?

Again: I'm not saying that this is a behavior that we should encourage. I just don't think it's as dangerous as it looks on the surface. And honestly, most of the cars that he flies by don't even move. He's out in Sweden, IIRC, so I can't comment on the skill of the drivers out there.

Is it good behavior? Nah. Should he be locked up forever as a menace to civilization? Ehh. Do I expect the book to get thrown at him if he ever gets caught? Absolutely, and he'll deserve it. But I'm not gonna turn up my nose at watching him ride either. He's doing something that few people have the skills or the balls to pull off, and I can respect that.

As I said, I'm torn because the good, legal part of me says that it's behavior that's downright anti-social, and the other side of me says that he's probably safer out there than a lot of people that are on the road, and if he gets caught, he gets caught, and if he doesn't, shrug. I've also done stuff that's in a similar vein of stupid, and I have a hard time casting stones when I know that they could be cast right back at me.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Normally I hate line-by-line replies but there are like 5 different things here.

Z3n posted:

I've been spooked by bikes passing that I didn't see coming before, but I can still keep my vehicle on the road and in my lane when that happens without any serious issues. If someone can't handle their car on a freeway when something unexpected happens, how can you expect them to properly handle an emergency situation, like a blowout or something running into the road? Hell, what about a truck jake braking right next to you?

Honestly? Those things are going to result in accidents some of the time. It doesn't take a lot to cause an accident. I know we've all seen this plenty of times riding around. Considering that everything but the truck brakes are things no one can control, I think it's different. He doesn't have to be on the road riding recklessly.

quote:

Again: I'm not saying that this is a behavior that we should encourage. I just don't think it's as dangerous as it looks on the surface. And honestly, most of the cars that he flies by don't even move. He's out in Sweden, IIRC, so I can't comment on the skill of the drivers out there.

I didn't realize it was in Sweden. If he did cause an accident doing that stuff I highly doubt we would see it on youtube, if the camera even noticed since it's solely focused on him.

quote:

Is it good behavior? Nah. Should he be locked up forever as a menace to civilization? Ehh. Do I expect the book to get thrown at him if he ever gets caught? Absolutely, and he'll deserve it. But I'm not gonna turn up my nose at watching him ride either. He's doing something that few people have the skills or the balls to pull off, and I can respect that.

I guess we will disagree there. If he did it in a way that doesn't endanger anyone I would respect it too, the beginning parts of the video were fine.

quote:

As I said, I'm torn because the good, legal part of me says that it's behavior that's downright anti-social, and the other side of me says that he's probably safer out there than a lot of people that are on the road, and if he gets caught, he gets caught, and if he doesn't, shrug. I've also done stuff that's in a similar vein of stupid, and I have a hard time casting stones when I know that they could be cast right back at me.

Fair enough, don't cast the stones then, I don't do that stupid crap so I'll take care of it for you :).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oakey, I think it's just one of those things...haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGJqYhcD2w

There we go. Truly insane riders.

Also, while ghost rider is fast, he doesn't ride like these crazy fucks.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2010

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

What sort of issues? I know the early 2nd-gen 650's had paper base gaskets that could leak, but thats all I've heard about them.

I don't want to list my examples with my DR350, since thats just another bike experience, but out of a group of riders I belong to, almost everyone who's had a DR650 has had nonstop carb issues, one after another. I'm not sure of the reasons, but they just clog really easy, get out of original spec real fast, and apparently hate having gas in them for any small length of time. I dont really get why, but they hate being stored with a full float bowl, and not even any long period of time, I mean like 2 weeks max and the one I saw had starting issues. Your experience may vary, but it seems like everyone I know who had them picked them up cheap, spent a fair bit adding their farkles, and then is just sort of not impressed after owning them for a length of time. Again, what you and others take away from them may be different. This is compared to KLR650s, XR650s, TW200s and other common trail bikes.

I hear riding them is kind of underwhelming. But drat, they are pretty cheap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Huh, thats weird. I wont discount the issues that your buddies have had with them, but I have 4 of the same DR650 carbs in my Bandit, and they're absolutely phenomenal carbs (well as phenomenal as CV carbs can be).

I'll bear that in mind though, and I do appreciate that you mentioned that people fell out of love with them and felt they were underwhelming. I'm really wondering what they're like to ride, because I've owned a DRZ-400SM, and the DR650 makes about the same power, with more torque, and more weight. I'm thinking that they should be pretty similar, but who knows? Their quarter mile times are about 0.4 seconds apart.

I'm also leaning towards the DR650 as opposed to another DRZ400 because I want something good on the highway, and something that I can take to the UP to go trail riding. I hear that the DRZ-SM's blow seals when taken offroad, because they're valved for the street.

Finally, I'd like to buy some SM rims and spokes and have them laced to a spare set of DR hubs and be able to swap between supermoto and trail trim at a whim.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

Oakey, I think it's just one of those things...haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOGJqYhcD2w

There we go. Truly insane riders.

Also, while ghost rider is fast, he doesn't ride like these crazy fucks.

Have you ever been to Greece? I rented a car in athens and drove down all around the surrounding countryside. It was among the most terrifying experience of my life. Motorcyclists there truly know no fear. I hit one while down on the Suonion penisula when he tried to pass me across a double yellow on the left while I was making a left turn (I am religious about turn signals and was terrified and making a super cautious turn on a blind curve). He stayed with his bike and rolled into the shoulder. I stood there while he screamed at me in Greek and broken English. Seeing me sufficiently terrified, he smiled, patted me on the shoulder, and said "it's ok" and buzzed away. I swear the Mediterranean sea does something to people when they get on the road. I hear that Italy is the same or worse.

Edit: I have been told they have the highest rate of traffic fatalities per capaita in Europe but have never confirmed this.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

Huh, thats weird. I wont discount the issues that your buddies have had with them, but I have 4 of the same DR650 carbs in my Bandit, and they're absolutely phenomenal carbs (well as phenomenal as CV carbs can be).

I'll bear that in mind though, and I do appreciate that you mentioned that people fell out of love with them and felt they were underwhelming. I'm really wondering what they're like to ride, because I've owned a DRZ-400SM, and the DR650 makes about the same power, with more torque, and more weight. I'm thinking that they should be pretty similar, but who knows? Their quarter mile times are about 0.4 seconds apart.

I'm also leaning towards the DR650 as opposed to another DRZ400 because I want something good on the highway, and something that I can take to the UP to go trail riding. I hear that the DRZ-SM's blow seals when taken offroad, because they're valved for the street.

Finally, I'd like to buy some SM rims and spokes and have them laced to a spare set of DR hubs and be able to swap between supermoto and trail trim at a whim.

The DR650 feels like 25% more bike than the DRZ400. Like I said, I only own a DR350, but I've been on both the DRZ400 and the DR650, and the DR650 definately feels like more of a big pig. I'm sure it will be better at highway speeds as well, but sometimes trying to make a Dual Sport do too much will make it feel like its not really well suited for any one task. Go ahead and ride a DR650, I thought it felt alot less of a pig than a KLR, but still pretty big, and I'm 6'3

Have you looked at the regular non-SM DRZ400S? I occasionally see them going for pretty cheap, and it looks like a great combo trail/road machine. To be honest i'd kind of rather have a DRZ400S than an SM, just so I could actually use it as a commuter + Trail fun bike. Gearing it taller might help out alot.

Maybe its just what the rider wants: im sure the 650 does alot better on Highways, but for my needs I prefer a smaller, lightweight, midrange displacement bike that doesn't feel like its always a handful. What you want may be different.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

Have you ever been to Greece? I rented a car in athens and drove down all around the surrounding countryside. It was among the most terrifying experience of my life. Motorcyclists there truly know no fear. I hit one while down on the Suonion penisula when he tried to pass me across a double yellow on the left while I was making a left turn (I am religious about turn signals and was terrified and making a super cautious turn on a blind curve). He stayed with his bike and rolled into the shoulder. I stood there while he screamed at me in Greek and broken English. Seeing me sufficiently terrified, he smiled, patted me on the shoulder, and said "it's ok" and buzzed away. I swear the Mediterranean sea does something to people when they get on the road. I hear that Italy is the same or worse.

Edit: I have been told they have the highest rate of traffic fatalities per capaita in Europe but have never confirmed this.

That sounds like ending up on the race grid every time you get out there, honestly. Still, I guess it just comes with the territory...At least they're laid back about it I guess?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want both an enduro and an SM. I loved the DRZ-SM around town, but it wasnt so hot on the highway. I also didnt have enduro wheels to take it offroad, which I wanted to do.

Really what its going to come down to is how I feel on the DR. If it feels big and unwieldy, I guess I'll have to keep looking. I'm not looking for the ultimate street SM, or woods raping megadirtbike, so a bike that just does good or better at both will be satisfactory in my eyes. I still have my 1200 Bandit for when its time to go fast, and I have my 250 Kawi and RV90 if I want to just scribble around on something small.

Oddly enough, you can get a secondhand set of DR hubs and lace some Excel wheels to them for cheaper than you can get secondhand DRZ-SM wheels (to put on a DRZ-S), according to eBay.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I think I need to start the KLR Anti-Defamaltion League :colbert:

KLRs own, haters

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Dear CA,

I never thought it would happen to me...

Out on my first ride on my 06 Z750 and some teenagers in a hotted up domestic family sedan wanted me to perform a wheelie with a minivan less then 10 feet in front of me.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
You've left out the party of the story where you do a wheelie.

A few weeks ago, I saw a Police motorcycle coming the other way, so I nodded at him and he nodded back. :buddy::respek::cop:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Wait you nodded instead of waving????? WHAT

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I've waved at bike cops before. They never wave back though, heh.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

-Inu- posted:

I pulled up to a red light next to a motocop and figured I'd say hello to the guy. Lifted my visor - "hey, how's it goin"

SHE turns her head, gives me this big smile and says "hi there!"

:whatup:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Dear Penthouse

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

-Inu- posted:

You're supposed to tap your helmet.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Doctor Zero posted:

You're supposed to tap their helmet.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Back when gas was really expensive that one summer I had a lot of people asking me how the MPG was on the bike. One time at a light I had a car pull up next to me, and the guy in it asked me that. He sounded rather, well, authoritative I guess. Then I did a double-take and realized...hmmm, antennas, and the dude is wearing a blue vest. Unmarked cop car. Funny stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

I waved at a couple recently, and got big smiles and waves back in return. Maybe it's the old man bike?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've only ever received a wave back from a cop once.

However, one time I was riding past 2 cops having someone pulled over on the side of the road, and as we rode by he pointed at me (on the KTM 690), gave me a thumbs up, and then gave me the "Do a wheelie!" arm movement.

I didn't, because I was confused if it was a trap or something...

I rode on the next 15 minutes or so pondering WTF, did that really just happen?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't see many bike cops around here, but I do wave to cops in cars when out riding around farm backroads. They tend to wave back. So do other people in cars, guys on bicycles, people walking, that one dude who was riding a mower, etc. People near farms are either really friendly or bored.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
The only time I wave at cops is to give the one fingered salute.

So long as they can't see me doing it....

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The weirdest cop-motorcycle experience I've had is when I was sitting at a light on my CBR and a police officer pulled up next to me on a CBR...

We had a short chat at the light, he just asked me what year mine was and such. I don't think he was a motor cop, just a police officer riding a bike somewhere (home maybe?)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

lancemantis posted:

The weirdest cop-motorcycle experience I've had is when I was sitting at a light on my CBR and a police officer pulled up next to me on a CBR...

We had a short chat at the light, he just asked me what year mine was and such. I don't think he was a motor cop, just a police officer riding a bike somewhere (home maybe?)

Haven't had any run ins with cops or even have them pay me much attention until this morning on the way into work. I picked up a hi-viz suit last night and rode it into work today. Two cops waved at me, another started talking to me at a light. I guess it's a good thing but surprised the poo poo out of me.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Sat on the new BMW S1000RR and its a lot more comfortable than the Jap liter bikes. Incredibly light feeling and looks a lot better in person. Can't see the headlights from the cockpit :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Sat on the new BMW S1000RR and its a lot more comfortable than the Jap liter bikes. Incredibly light feeling and looks a lot better in person. Can't see the headlights from the cockpit :v:

I saw it for the first time about two weeks ago and finally sat on it earlier this week. Feels pretty comfortable and I really like the way it looks. If it wasn't for this drat snow in the forecast we would be taking it to the gap to get some promo video/photos for the dealership. Not even sure if I want to ride it in fear that I will like it and start selling toys to get one.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Saw some guy almost bin his Harley on my way home from work. Sucker wanted to be hardcore and go huge off the line, gave it too much gas, and almost lost it. I don't think even he could believe he saved it.

And of course, brain bucket, t-shirt, and super-loud pipes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I saw the local dealer had an S1000RR at a show not too long ago, had it at like >$16,000, must of had all the bells and whistles or something?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

lancemantis posted:

I saw the local dealer had an S1000RR at a show not too long ago, had it at like >$16,000, must of had all the bells and whistles or something?

You can option em out to just under 17k, so yeah

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
First ride of the year.

gently caress yeah.

:circlefap:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been riding over a week during this dry spell. :coal:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

lancemantis posted:

Motorsport paint job is $700 or so, race ABS is another 1400. Goodies add up quick on that bike.

Also it is snowing...gently caress snow I wanted to go play on the S1000RR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
New Chris Vermeulen youtube video mentioned it rained at world Superbike testing.

Wet session Vermeulen C. 3rd fastest, Dry sessions about 15th.

One year it will rain every race, right? :australia: :(