Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember playing i82 and not remembering a single thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It was pretty horrible compared to I76. It didn't feel at all the same.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy

Sporadic posted:

Also new publisher coming in March!

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,95338,7498776,GOG_zlowil_Activision.html

It has to be either Lucasarts or EA.

Ohh ohhh please let it be Lucas Arts. Grim Fandango and Full Throttle? Yes Please!

surrender903
Dec 22, 2006
U2 Fan
Pillbug
Is there a possibility that Blood Omen 1 could be released? I was reading about who owns it and it seems it is Sierra?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

Same here.

I know I played it, but damned if I can remember a thing about what happened in it.
I76 was great though, and I'd rush to grab it of GOG.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Stampede! How about a poem?

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Yeah, it was not that great. Groove lost a leg and got fat and Reagan tried to take over the world with a giant robot or something.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So, they're thinking of having higher price points for more recent games (under pressure from certain publishers). Any thoughts? 'Cuz that's just terrible.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I would totally buy Soldier of Fortune II if it got a GOG.com release.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So, they're thinking of having higher price points for more recent games (under pressure from certain publishers). Any thoughts? 'Cuz that's just terrible.
Yeah, I'd prefer them to stick to $6 and $10 as well. I've been supporting them and those pricepoints from the very beginning and it's perfect really. I know they might want more recent games include (I could see why some publishers wouldn't want a game like say BioShock on there for $10), but there are many classics they should focus on first that'd be able to fit in the $6 to $10 range yet.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Gotta link for that? Also, if they were to add another price tier I wouldn't mind. $15 would be the likely slot. If it was $6, $10, and $15 their service would still be cheaper than all the others who generally dip down to $15 as their absolute bottom.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

Gotta link for that? Also, if they were to add another price tier I wouldn't mind. $15 would be the likely slot. If it was $6, $10, and $15 their service would still be cheaper than all the others who generally dip down to $15 as their absolute bottom.

Here.

Marcin Iwinski posted:

At the same time if we are talking with our partners to add a 3-years-old hit to the portfolio, $9.99 might be a bit too low, so yes – do expect some new price points up on GOG.com, and definitely way more great games and additional materials.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I guess it depends on how recent. I'd rather they stick to older games, but if I can get titles that normally show up on services like Steam DRM-free, I'm fine with a $15 price point.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

rt4 posted:

Hey, Stampede! How about a poem?
It's a high-pitched sound
Hot rubber pressing eternally against a blackened pavement
A wheel is forever
A car is infinity times four

I76 ruled because of that feature alone, if for no other reason. :3:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Overwined posted:

They mentioned it in just every interview they did for the Activision thing.

quote:

What we are not ruling out is to look at more diversified price points, as currently with $5.99 and $9.99 (these are the only two price points on GOG.com as of today) we do not feel we are doing all the titles justice. What we would like to introduce at some point are lower price points for the really old titles, as even an impulse price of $5.99 might be perceived as a bit too high for a 10+ year-old game. At the same time, $9.99 might be a bit too low for a 3-year-old major blockbuster… a word of explanation here: $9.99 is perfectly fine for us, but sometimes it is not for the publisher. Still, our full focus is on good old games.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213744/how-the-good-old-games-service-started/

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I think it really comes down to whether a game is actually OLD or not. If you're charging me $15 for something that came out two years ago, then fine, because it's probably also available on steam or amazon for a similar price. If you're charging me $15 for something that came on floppies, then that's not so fine anymore. Personally, I'm mainly going to use the service for old stuff that runs on DOS/Win95 and that my CDs don't work for anymore.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Agreed. I can get behind a $15 for 3-year-old games. Stuff I just missed out on that might never make it to a bargain bin some time in the future. In fact, I can't recall the last time I've seen the $5-20 bargain bin at a game store. Or a PC game store in general :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

$15 for a 3 yr old age that doesn't have DRM isn't a bad deal if it still includes the extra stuff. But again, I just got Mass Effect on Steam for $5, so it's hard to jump on it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
It probably varies from region to region, but IIRC that was during the sale...standard price for Mass Effect is $20 on Steam. Not to mention that GOG also had some decent discounts at the time and I'd imagine that whatever they sell using the new price point won't be immune to additional special offers.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 29, 2010

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:neckbeard:
http://www.gamezebo.com/features/interviews/gogs-marcin-iwinski-activision-deal-why-drm-still-sucks

quote:

Besides Gabriel Knight and Arcanum, can you give us a heads-up on other titles we'll see down the road?

It would not be exciting at all if I would list all the titles here. Let me just say, that we have some really good stuff coming. Something for the RPG fans, quite a lot for the adventure lovers, some strategy games and ... oops ... I am really saying too much. We are starting with the first two titles today, but check us out each week in February, as Feb will be Activision month at GOG.com, and we will be releasing new Activision games every few days.

If they fired out Battlezone and Bridge Commander by the end of the month I'd be one happy camper. :)

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

slidebite posted:

:neckbeard:
http://www.gamezebo.com/features/interviews/gogs-marcin-iwinski-activision-deal-why-drm-still-sucks

If they fired out Battlezone and Bridge Commander by the end of the month I'd be one happy camper. :)
Oooooooh Battlezone. When I played BZ, I thought it was a glimpse into the future of gaming. Every single game that followed would copy it... this was what games were supposed to be like.

drat I loved that game.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've still never seen a FPS/strategy hybrid actually work, but Battlezone always did. It was even good online.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

surrender903 posted:

Is there a possibility that Blood Omen 1 could be released? I was reading about who owns it and it seems it is Sierra?

Square-Enix owns the rights to the whole Legacy of Kain series through their purchase of Eidos.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Blodskur posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer them to stick to $6 and $10 as well. I've been supporting them and those pricepoints from the very beginning and it's perfect really. I know they might want more recent games include (I could see why some publishers wouldn't want a game like say BioShock on there for $10), but there are many classics they should focus on first that'd be able to fit in the $6 to $10 range yet.

I see what you're saying here but just want to add BioShock isn't exactly the best example for this. It seems to go on sale for $5 on Steam like twice a month, and once they had it for $2 I think. Not to mention you can get it free for preordering BioShock 2.

Hell I'm rather surprised its default price is still $20.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

MMAgCh posted:

It's a high-pitched sound
Hot rubber pressing eternally against a blackened pavement
A wheel is forever
A car is infinity times four

I76 ruled because of that feature alone, if for no other reason. :3:

Never get out of the car :(

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just got to day 6 of Gabriel Knight and so far the game is awesome. However I think I just ran into a bug. I'm at the part where you have to get the fat cop away from the front desk so that you can get into Mosely's office. I managed to get the donut truck back in front of the police station, but as soon as the guy leaves his position and walks out the door, the game goes into fast forward and he comes back inside immediately, which doesn't leave me any time to go snooping around.

Should I just not complain and get CPUKiller or whatever other program to slow down my computer's processing speed, or is this the kind of thing that the GOG folks could fix themselves?

e: I'm gonna try to run this on my lovely work computer, hopefully I can get through this part without too much trouble.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 30, 2010

Crow T Bard
Nov 6, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

I just got to day 6 of Gabriel Knight and so far the game is awesome. However I think I just ran into a bug. I'm at the part where you have to get the fat cop away from the front desk so that you can get into Mosely's office. I managed to get the donut truck back in front of the police station, but as soon as the guy leaves his position and walks out the door, the game goes into fast forward and he comes back inside immediately, which doesn't leave me any time to go snooping around.

Should I just not complain and get CPUKiller or whatever other program to slow down my computer's processing speed, or is this the kind of thing that the GOG folks could fix themselves?

e: I'm gonna try to run this on my lovely work computer, hopefully I can get through this part without too much trouble.

Nope, thankfully it's not a bug. After you try to destract the cop with the donut stand, leave the station and come back. The cop will start dozing off. Time it right and you will be able to get in Mosely's office.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Square-Enix owns the rights to the whole Legacy of Kain series through their purchase of Eidos.

What in the...you mean Square-Enix is sitting on Anachronox if they have Eidos!? :aaa:

I would kill to have that game on GoG.

vvv That too. My little gamer heart breaks just a little more every time that comes up. :smith:

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 30, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

What in the...you mean Square-Enix is sitting on Anachronox if they have Eidos!? :aaa:

I would kill for them to make a proper sequel :colbert:

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The thing about some of these really old games being priced at $10-15, there is probably a non-trivial amount of work needed just to make them install and run properly on current operating systems and hardware. (Assuming they go to that effort.)

I still own the discs & floppies to games I bought in the '90s like I76, Mechwarrior2, Carmageddon, Tie Fighter etc. but they don't do me any good because they aren't going to work on my Win7 x64 system with no floppy drive.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Number_6 posted:

The thing about some of these really old games being priced at $10-15, there is probably a non-trivial amount of work needed just to make them install and run properly on current operating systems and hardware. (Assuming they go to that effort.)

I still own the discs & floppies to games I bought in the '90s like I76, Mechwarrior2, Carmageddon, Tie Fighter etc. but they don't do me any good because they aren't going to work on my Win7 x64 system with no floppy drive.

You could try a VM. They're shockingly fast these days.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...
I just tried to find the owner of the rights to the Master of Orion franchise (of Microprose fame) and a long and adventurous journey through Wikipedia indicates that the rights belong to Atari now.

Does anyone know how high the probabilities are that we will ever see the Master of Orion-series on GOG?

If they released it I would (re-)buy them so fast GOG wouldn't know what hit them...

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Crow T Bard posted:

Nope, thankfully it's not a bug. After you try to destract the cop with the donut stand, leave the station and come back. The cop will start dozing off. Time it right and you will be able to get in Mosely's office.

I just watched parts of a video LP of the game on youtube and came to the same conclusion. Thanks!

Also I'm going through the Gabriel Knight retrospective on here and I got all giddy when I read that Worf did voice work on this GK1. I totally knew it was him too :derp:

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Ahhhh I want to give GOG my money but their paypal form doesn't seem to be working right now and I've never been able to get my credit card to work on their site. Sadness.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

I would kill for them to make a proper sequel :colbert:

It'd be nice if they could actually finish the first one.

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002

Overwined posted:

They're not just looking at adding a higher tier; everyone seems to be skipping the part where they mention adding a lower price point for older games instead of sticking to just $6. A little good news mixed in with the bad. Plus, $15 for a 3yr old game isn't too shabby depending on the title.

It's not a very good game. The on foot bits are pretty trash (better than Driver 2, I guess...) and they simplified the car damage model down to the lowest level possible. Remember how you used to be able to position your car in I76 to absorb the damage on one side if the other was too hosed up, or you could armor up your trunk for a safe get away? Yea, not so much in I82. It made the game insanely frustrating ~75% through the game and I wound up just quitting because I wasn't really having that much fun at that point anyway.

The CG from Blur was really well done, though. Way better camera work than you'd think to find in a game from that era. Mark Mothersbaugh's soundtrack was pretty tits, too.

Ansob. posted:

It'd be nice if they could actually finish the first one.
It would have been nice if any publishers would have funded development for the second half of the game, but pretty much everyone told Tom to go blow. He even tried to get it made for the Xbox with the intention of porting over the first game as well and they were like, "nah, it's just a money pit ION STORM LOL". drat shame...I mean, the combat in the game sucked and you were stuck doing it a lot, but holy hell was absolutely everything else in that game a nuthair away from perfection. Some of my favorite rpg characters and plot twists ever.

roushimsx fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 30, 2010

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Charles Martel posted:

vvv That too. My little gamer heart breaks just a little more every time that comes up. :smith:

They also own the rights to all the Thief games, too. And Tomb Raider/Hitman.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I love this site more and more. GOG posted a really nice editorial about the Gabriel Knight series and the first installment in particular. People who are on the edge about getting GK1 should read it for sure: http://www.gog.com/en/editorial/month_of_activision_gabriel_knight_retrospective/

I would like to see more in-depth articles about the games and developers featured on GOG.com. Stuff like this makes you believe they care about what they're doing.

Back in the Game
Sep 16, 2009

by angerbotSD
I-76 was an awesome game. Here's hoping they release the Arsenal version which had graphical updates and Nitro bundled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I'd like to see The Neverhood on Gog. Any chance that'll ever be a reality?