Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC Quina can equip female-only items but also something else indicating it's not really female, maybe equipping male-only items too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I've always referred to him as a he for some reason, his mannerisms seem more male than female, but yeah, i'm sure the game refers to Quina as a s/he or 'it'

I was just being fececious about the constant use of 'it' and 'the blue mage character' in the poster's remark in place of just using Quina.

Also I like the fact that the card game is completely rewardless in terms of game altering items, makes it more like actual card games

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

wdarkk posted:

IIRC Quina can equip female-only items but also something else indicating it's not really female, maybe equipping male-only items too?
Quina will not equip just any female-only item.

Stealing from bosses is basically a massive waste of time when you can find the same item a few hours down the road.

Thievery also adds one point per failed steal.

edit: Sadly, every battle with bosses lasts over thirty minutes because stealing from them won't work so well. You should be spending your stealing time on the weak enemies who can quickly transition between battles. Thievery is improved like 12 times faster if it succeeds.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 30, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Stealing from bosses is basically a massive waste of time when you can find the same item a few hours down the road.

Thievery also adds one point per failed steal.

If thievery improves with use regardless, there's absolutely no reason not to steal from them. Also, if stealing from them is a waste of time (2 minutes worth of defending) then acquiring the item further down the road when you could have equipped it now and built up AP is an even bigger waste.

Simply put, there's no point in not stealing from bosses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Gonna be playing Front Mission 3 pretty soon; anything I should know? The only other FM games I've played were the DS remake of the first one a tiny bit of 4. The biggest thing I got out of the DS remake was that machine guns were by far the best weapons.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So what should I know about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2? I played through the tutorial, and it seems interesting, but every SMT game seems to have its own stat that you should prioritize, and their own quirks that you should know.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 30, 2010

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nate RFB posted:

Gonna be playing Front Mission 3 pretty soon; anything I should know? The only other FM games I've played were the DS remake of the first one a tiny bit of 4. The biggest thing I got out of the DS remake was that machine guns were by far the best weapons.
It is cheesy to stack a bunch of level one skills.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The first multiple choice dialog box (which happens in the first 10 minutes) will literally change the entire story. Don't spoil yourself with FAQs because the branching progression of the plot is the best feature about the game aside from the gameplay itself.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I just got Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition but I keep getting swarmed and massacred in the second area, what am I doing wrong?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just got Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition but I keep getting swarmed and massacred in the second area, what am I doing wrong?

The trick to beating pretty much every ganados (that's the average villagers) is to pop them in the knee followed by a head shot to make them tumble backwards. When you get swarmed, shoot them in the head (automatic stun) run up to them and Leon will do a flying kick or something which does massive damage and knocks the other ganados back. Eventually parasites will start popping out of peoples heads but this is a scripted moment that happens when you kill them (you could shoot them 30 times in the leg and it will still happen), not a result of headshots. Finally, always move. If you stand still you will die in this game. There are very few areas that are truly dead ended.

For the second area, go inside the two-story house on the left (you'll trigger Dr. Salvador but don't worry) and run up the stairs, outside to the roof, and around the far railing (there's also a shotgun in here). You'll know you're in the right spot because you're on a narrow plank and only one ganado can reach you at a time. You're practically invincible here because 1 shot causes the ganados to fall off the railing. You shouldn't even run out of ammo before the timer is up.

I forgot mention that back-peddling is absolutely useless. You'll always get hit by an attack if you do nothing but back-peddle. If you get swarmed, the best defense is to simply quick-turn and run the gently caress away to a new vantage point. That's the entirety of the game's combat system: run-shoot-stomp-run.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 30, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr Snofeld posted:

Don't enter the house that has the shotgun, and the guy with the chainsaw will never show up. Then just run around killing dudes as you can and eventually after you've killed enough the fight will end.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

al-azad posted:

The first multiple choice dialog box (which happens in the first 10 minutes) will literally change the entire story. Don't spoil yourself with FAQs because the branching progression of the plot is the best feature about the game aside from the gameplay itself.

This is important. And after you finish the game make sure you replay the game and do the other choice. The stories are following the same idea but are radically different in execution so it's almost like 2 games in one.

Also I found it always useful to have one of your mechs use missiles, feel free to skip on sniper rifles and definitely the grenade launchers though. Those 3 are your main choices for long range and missiles are always more accurate and more damaging than your other two options.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Nate RFB posted:

Don't enter the house that has the shotgun, and the guy with the chainsaw will never show up. Then just run around killing dudes as you can and eventually after you've killed enough the fight will end.

There's a little hut down a path near a locked exit you can't go through yet. I believe if you double back from the entrance to your immediately right you'll get there. It's the perfect spot to camp and take out the ganados from a distance as they charge down the hill. A few kicks here and there if one gets close and maybe a grenade or two and you should be done.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
There's a small shack somewhere that has no windows, and only one entrance. You can actually stand just to the wide of the entrance on the inside and knife the ganados until they're all dead.

RE4 is the first time they made the knife useful.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
You don't actually have to fire a shot for this part and can spend the entire time running away until the clock runs out.

Also if you like a challenge you can go up the path next to the shotgun house, and a chainsaw guy will spawn. If you can take him out you get a very valuable Ruby. Then you can go inside the shotgun house and trigger the cutscene to spawn another one.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Nate RFB posted:

Some people can get more damage out of the same weapon type, even at the same skill level. The boost is slight, but can be useful. Experiment.

Teach everyone Pilot Eject. Enemy vehicles are a major source of money/parts and that's the main way of getting them.

If you're hunting for Medals, keep your weapon skill low-high skill counts against your ranking.

If you can work it, everyone should have a shield. It can mean a heck of a lot to have all damage forced onto one part rather than several.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Capsaicin posted:

RE4 is the first time they made the knife useful.
"Shoot an enemy in the knees, slash at him with the knife as he's getting up" was one of my favorite strategies to use in Pro. Also fun is when you're getting chased by a lot of guys and you camp out on top of a ladder, knife-ready.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
So it's run to the house, barricade window, grab shotgun, knock down ladder, shoot guys away from other window and jump out of it, right? That or just run around the village until time runs out.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Dr Snofeld posted:

So it's run to the house, barricade window, grab shotgun, knock down ladder, shoot guys away from other window and jump out of it, right? That or just run around the village until time runs out.

The ruby you get from the shotgun guy is not worth it. You'll be drowning in money by the end of the game if you collect all the treasures marked on the maps. I wouldn't want to fight a chainsaw guy at this point unless you're in new game+ with all your upgraded guns. If you wait to grab the shotgun until after the bell, there won't be a chainsaw guy and you'll still get the shotgun.

The little hut is definitely the most defensible spot in the area.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

The best mech parts and most powerful weapon are found late in the game by searching the in-game internet. The basic gist is you eventually find a phone number on a Bulletin Board, and you use that number on a separate site that lets you make phone calls. The weapon isn't game breaking or anything, but it is really powerful with a long range, but takes a lot of AP to use.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Don't even bother barricading anything, just go to the roof and stand on the wooden plank around the side. They can only advance one at a time and a single knife swipe/bullet will knock them off the edge. The windowless hut is another good camping spot or you can just run around in circles until the invisible timer runs out (wuss) which is something like 5 minutes.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

mystery at hog island posted:

I wouldn't want to fight a chainsaw guy at this point unless you're in new game+ with all your upgraded guns.

That's half the fun of the first encounter. Pissing yourself while running away wondering how you're gonna kill him.

Facing overpowered enemies is the only tense/scary part left to the RE series, you might as well enjoy what little of it exists.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
I'd like some tips for Tropico 3 please.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So what should I know about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2? I played through the tutorial, and it seems interesting, but every SMT game seems to have its own stat that you should prioritize, and their own quirks that you should know.

More general tips than anything, since I haven't played more than a few chapters, but:

Have you played Devil Summoner 1? As far as stats go, it's more or less the same: you want to prioritize with your magic stat, because it means your demons kick more rear end. It's also much more important in this game because I think it also increases you maximum MAG, which is what demons use to cast spells.

Generally I wouldn't use magic unless an enemy is really hard or they are weak against it, because it eats up MAG like mad.

Use R2 (Hide) a lot. It's very useful to keep your demons from taking damage, especially when you see an area attack spell coming your way.

Some sidequests (in your case list) can be repeated more than once for bonus rewards.

As far as I can tell, negotiating with demons is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes they like one thing you say, sometimes the other. Sometimes they'll just leave you simple because. Sometimes they'll come back. Sometimes some other demon will interrupt you and spoil your day. It's a pain in the rear end.

When you get the opportunity to collect a specific item (it's a big plot point), make sure you get as many of them as you can. It helps your stats, and you can use these items in battle for a bonus.

Also people have mentioned that the game has a ridiculous encounter rate compared to the first, but I can't help but feel that they're wrong. In this one, not only are there safe zones all over the place, but you run drat fast compared to the first game, which is probably why people think the encounter rate is higher.

McKracken posted:

Facing overpowered enemies is the only tense/scary part left to the RE series, you might as well enjoy what little of it exists.

Resident Evil was never, ever scary. Maybe as a child, yes. But the game has always been corny as hell with poor graphics and the only thing that made the game tense was the design choice to give you a peashooter and three bullets for every ten zombies.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2010

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Morpheus posted:

Resident Evil was never, ever scary. Maybe as a child, yes. But the game has always been corny as hell with poor graphics and the only thing that made the game tense was the design choice to give you a peashooter and three bullets for every ten zombies.

The first few games have significantly more tense moments in them than either RE4/5. Where's the fun/challenge in avoiding a certain enemy until you are so overpowered that one shot from any of your weapons will annihilate him. Once RE4 came around and you started tripping over grenades and ammunition it became nearly devoid of any tension, except for the sparse moments when you face difficult enemies.

Why bother playing the game if you're just going to avoid the difficult parts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Given your initial equipment, that first chainsaw enemy is more of a massive annoyance than anything scary. Though it's probably worth doing it at least once so you can see Leon get decapitated.

I know that personally I started RE4 on the Gamecube maybe 3-4 times and kept getting stuck on that one first village area, and it wasn't until years later on the Wii that I actually got past it and went on to love the game all the way to beating it on Pro. The village battle to me is a roadblock for some people, and there's no real detriment to avoiding its hardest parts your first time through. Certainly going to be plenty of "oh poo poo" moments coming up after that that have no easy way out.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Nate RFB posted:

Given your initial equipment, that first chainsaw enemy is more of a massive annoyance than anything scary. Though it's probably worth doing it at least once so you can see Leon get decapitated.

Once you get a hang on the control style the chainsaw guy is pretty simple. Just keep hitting his kneecaps and melee. Run if needed. It isn't that hard, and there are 1 or 2 defensible locations to book it too if you mess up and take too much damage.

RE4 is by far the least challenging game of the series, or it was until 5 came along. I'm looking forward to the next title where each enemy will be wearing a hat with dynamite duct-taped to the top and ammo will just fall out of the sky when you're running low.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only played the PS2 version so I don't know where you are finding all this ammo. I used the knife on almost half the enemies because ammo was so short all the time and upgrading empty magazines would still not be enough.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Scalding Coffee posted:

I only played the PS2 version so I don't know where you are finding all this ammo. I used the knife on almost half the enemies because ammo was so short all the time and upgrading empty magazines would still not be enough.

From what I've gathered from personal experiences and different threads I've read on here, the game gives you as much ammo as you use. If you don't use a lot of ammo, enemies are prone to drop ammo less often.

With the exception of the magnum which has very rare ammo, I always had a ton of extra rounds. Especially 9mm and shotgun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Crates and enemies drop ammo based on your needs. The more you waste ammo the more ammo you'll get in return. At least, this was the case when I played. I noticed the more I conserved my bullets the stingier the game was with giving them.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Nate RFB posted:

I know that personally I started RE4 on the Gamecube maybe 3-4 times and kept getting stuck on that one first village area, and it wasn't until years later on the Wii that I actually got past it and went on to love the game all the way to beating it on Pro. The village battle to me is a roadblock for some people, and there's no real detriment to avoiding its hardest parts your first time through. Certainly going to be plenty of "oh poo poo" moments coming up after that that have no easy way out.

RE started this in 2, with the initial run to the Police Station. CV did almost the same thing. RE3 added the ambush in but didn't give you control over it so it became nothing more than a cutscene. It sets an oppresive tone, but too bad they don't often go too far with it

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Run, then put your back up against something and start shooting. Just make sure you've got somewhere else to run to when they get close. Chickens will lay eggs you can pick up for health if you leave them alone for a while. There's a watery basement kind of area you go through in the first level that has fish in it. Shoot the fish and pick 'em up if you don't have any more healing herbs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Waffle! posted:

Run, then put your back up against something and start shooting. Just make sure you've got somewhere else to run to when they get close. Chickens will lay eggs you can pick up for health if you leave them alone for a while. There's a watery basement kind of area you go through in the first level that has fish in it. Shoot the fish and pick 'em up if you don't have any more healing herbs.
In general, I'd say it is a good idea to shoot fish wherever you see them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, there's a lake with a bunch of fish in it. Just keep shooting them until they stop spawning, you'll get a ton of money and healing stuff.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, there's a lake with a bunch of fish in it. Just keep shooting them until they stop spawning, you'll get a ton of money and healing stuff.

Also before you venture out onto this lake, just get in a nice position on the dock and just shoot the water a bit.

Definitely save before hand.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If it's living, shoot/knife it. Birds, fish, and spiders all carry copious amounts of money, herbs, and ammo.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The wiki says the best weapons are the Red9 (which I now have), Striker shotgun and semi-auto rifle. Is this true of the Wii version too? Is the TMP less poo poo in the Wii version than the PS2 version?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Dr Snofeld posted:

The wiki says the best weapons are the Red9 (which I now have), Striker shotgun and semi-auto rifle. Is this true of the Wii version too? Is the TMP less poo poo in the Wii version than the PS2 version?

All the guns have their pro's/con's...except for the Handcannon and Chicago Typewriter which are both totally perfect and amazing, but that's not relevant.

You should outright ignore the TMP and Mine Launcher. Statistically the Striker is the best shotgun (it's capacity is insane) but I played through the game multiple times with a fully upgraded Riot Gun and had no problems. All the guns when fully upgraded are totally capable. The Red9 is powerful but reloads painfully slow compared to some of the other handguns.

Honestly it will come down to what attributes you value more highly...and obviously how cool the guns look. RE4 is criminally easy on its normal difficulty level, your tactics in confronting and dealing with enemies are a lot more important than the guns you have (exception being the base handgun/shotgun which do admittedly suck.)

As long as you keep upgrading, any handgun/rifle(semi)/shotgun will be adequate for 99% of the game provided you know how and when to use them.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. ^^^Goddamnit :argh:

I beat the game (On Professional mode GC) with the TMP, Blacktail, and Riot Gun. The TMP with stock is a good weapon for getting head/knee shots and using with melee.

Otherwise, the Striker and Red9 do the most damage. I used the Riot Gun instead of the Striker because it's better at long range, but the Striker has a lot more raw power.

My advice is to pick up whatever guns you like using. They're all pretty useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bbcisdabomb posted:

My advice is to pick up whatever guns you like using. They're all pretty useful.

I agree - the game is so incredibly easy that the difference between the best and worst gun is negligible. Well, except the mine thrower, which is useless no matter how you look at it.