Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

The idea was that his hair was patchy because of all the scarring from when he was burned as a kid. They had also done a lovely make-up job. This was dropped because the fans poo poo on it to the point that even Vince realized it was bad, so they went in another direction. They said that Kane was insane and thought he was scarred when he really wasn't. Then he set JR on fire.

You didn't ask, but the half-mask was pretty much just a way to make it easier for Kane to talk. They had gotten rid of the voicebox gimmick by then, saying he had one implanted in his throat when he was teaming with X-Pac.

I kind of figured there was a practical reason behind the half-mask. I just figured it was because the original was uncomfortable as poo poo to wear.

And yea, he looked really ridiculous when they unmasked him. He was supposed to be horribly scarred and burnt (although how they were planning to perpetuate this with his mask off I don't know) but he looked like Curly from the 3 Stooges put on an afro wig then became a victim of an exploding cigar gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's about time for a "Complete Misadventures of Kane" thread. By now there's got to be at least twenty examples of hilariously bad moments and angles in his career.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

WeaselWeaz posted:

You didn't ask, but the half-mask was pretty much just a way to make it easier for Kane to talk. They had gotten rid of the voicebox gimmick by then, saying he had one implanted in his throat when he was teaming with X-Pac.
hahah oh wow, did they really do a "voice box implant" angle? The furthest explanation I can recall them giving was when X-Pac just tossed the voice box aside during an interview and went "YOU DON'T NEED THIS drat THING ANYMORE MAN!" and then Kane just started talking normally.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

LightsGameraAction posted:

...he looked like Curly from the 3 Stooges put on an afro wig then became a victim of an exploding cigar gag.

It's truly a work of art:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Here's a question. Does anyone in this forum even like unmasked Kane compared to masked Kane? I mostly see people preferring old Kane so I'm just curious. I liked masked Kane so drat much.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Here's a question. Does anyone in this forum even like unmasked Kane compared to masked Kane? I mostly see people preferring old Kane so I'm just curious. I liked masked Kane so drat much.

I really haven't liked him since he unmasked. Now he's just another big bald mean guy. He's not disfigured, he's not even all that ugly by pro-wrestler standards. He's just got a dumb snarly-face and fake contacts.

I mean yea, they did some dumb stuff with masked Kane from time to time, but it at least set him apart from everyone else. He's boring now and the whole "him not really being scarred" thing(even though I knew he was Isaac Yankem and not really Undertaker's brother the whole time) just kind of tarnished the whole "twisted monster Kane" thing.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

LightsGameraAction posted:

Another Kane-related question: When and what was the motivation for Kane being a goofy face? I think it was around the invasion timeline, after he had starting wearing the "half-mask" he wore until he lost his mask. I know a video was posted here recently from when he had a match with Hogan and the Rock where he was imitating them in a promo beforehand and rock looked weirded out.

That promo was before he even had the half-mask, and iirc before he had ever done any goofy face stuff. Before then, he was just this giant monster who rarely said more than a couple sentences at a time, so it really came out of nowhere.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
I'll always associate masked Kane with tearing down the HIAC door, burning stuff up and having the sense of 'poo poo gonna get hosed up' whenever his music hit.

The way he's booked now makes him seem more Val Venis jobber than Monster Heel/Face.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Kane just needs to get injured alot. Because while his ring work isn't really that memorable his return from absences have been epic.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

oldpainless posted:

I'm still a huge Kane mark :colbert:

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm still a pretty big Kane mark too, in spite of the way he's been booked for the past...well, basically for his whole career.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

oldpainless posted:

Unmasked Kane is all I've ever known, so I'm biased, but I love Kane.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

evale posted:

The way he's booked now makes him seem more Val Venis jobber than Monster Heel/Face.

But there's nothing really wrong with being Val Venis. By all accounts I've read, Kane had a great run in his prime that he's proud of, but he's happy with his spot now and much prefers the freedom of not having main-event commitments.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

evale posted:

I'll always associate masked Kane with tearing down the HIAC door, burning stuff up and having the sense of 'poo poo gonna get hosed up' whenever his music hit.

What other role should he have? He can't get over as a heel anymore, he's broken down and even in his prime wasn't that good of a wrestler, his promos are OK but his character doesn't realy allow for great promos anyway.

Why should a 43 year old who isn't a big time star be more than what he is?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's funny. A lot of wrestlers don't care if they're big main-event stars or not. They just enjoy the work and want to feed their families. So many fans, though, assume that anybody who isn't in the main-event is loving miserable.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

It's funny. A lot of wrestlers don't care if they're big main-event stars or not. They just enjoy the work and want to feed their families. So many fans, though, assume that anybody who isn't in the main-event is loving miserable.

Wrestling behind the scenes by all accounts is like high school, so there's bound to be a little of column A and a little of column B.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Kane is awesome because he can be walking around with taped up ribs losing to Chuck Palumbo one week, then within a month be the terrifying monster that's going to destroy John Cena, and nobody questions either role.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oldpainless posted:

Lots of people love unmasked Kane. I loved "old school monster wrecking poo poo he doesn't understand what is going on but he hits things he is a confused dog masked Kane" but unmasked Kane is great too, and he has some of the best facial expressions in all of wrestling.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The well had really run dry with that mask anyway. It looks cool and goes with the gimmick, but when every fued becomes about unmasking him, it gets old really fast. I think the way they botched the unmasking was hilarious though - he's got tons of burn victim makeup and frizzy hair, and you just know nobody [especially Glenn] is going to go through that makeup poo poo before EVERY tv and house show.. why didn't they think that through and just have him unmask as normal, rather than phase out the makeup [re: stop doing it two weeks later and never discuss it]. That could have been explained any number of ways -- My preference would have been for Paul Bearer to admit to brainwashing him into THINKING he was scarred.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

What other role should he have? He can't get over as a heel anymore, he's broken down and even in his prime wasn't that good of a wrestler, his promos are OK but his character doesn't realy allow for great promos anyway.

Why should a 43 year old who isn't a big time star be more than what he is?

I was commenting on Kane with and without the mask. I remember masked Kane being much more impressive than unmasked Kane.

Sure, age and ability have a lot to do with it, and I was just answering the question.

Masked Kane>Unmasked Kane in my book.

ed:

Supreme Allah posted:

The well had really run dry with that mask anyway. It looks cool and goes with the gimmick, but when every fued becomes about unmasking him, it gets old really fast. I think the way they botched the unmasking was hilarious though - he's got tons of burn victim makeup and frizzy hair, and you just know nobody [especially Glenn] is going to go through that makeup poo poo before EVERY tv and house show.. why didn't they think that through and just have him unmask as normal, rather than phase out the makeup [re: stop doing it two weeks later and never discuss it]. That could have been explained any number of ways -- My preference would have been for Paul Bearer to admit to brainwashing him into THINKING he was scarred.

The picture a couple of posts up doesn't have anything apart from a half shaven head and black eye make up rubbed across his face. Was that meant to be burn marks? If not, it would seem the 'scars were in his head' angle was the one planned from the start.

evale fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 31, 2010

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

evale posted:

I was commenting on Kane with and without the mask. I remember masked Kane being much more impressive than unmasked Kane.

Sure, age and ability have a lot to do with it, and I was just answering the question.

ed:

The picture a couple of posts up doesn't have anything apart from a half shaven head and black eye make up rubbed across his face. Was that meant to be burn marks? If not, it would seem the 'scars were in his head' angle was the one planned from the start.

I didn't even see that picture, but watching it life, yeah that was the impression. The makeup represented his disfigurement from the fire.. not some sort of temporary effect caused by wearing a mask, if that's what you're asking.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

I didn't even see that picture, but watching it life, yeah that was the impression. The makeup represented his disfigurement from the fire.. not some sort of temporary effect caused by wearing a mask, if that's what you're asking.

I had the same impression live as well. Although the make up they have him wearing looks like the same thing he has around his eyes and not burn marks.

Was Austin leaving WWE during Lesnar's push because they wanted him to lose to Lesnar? Has he left or refused to show up other times as well?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

evale posted:

I had the same impression live as well. Although the make up they have him wearing looks like the same thing he has around his eyes and not burn marks.

Was Austin leaving WWE during Lesnar's push because they wanted him to lose to Lesnar? Has he left or refused to show up other times as well?

Austin was booked to lose to Lesnar in round one of the King of the Ring tournament that year on a random Raw, unpromoted. Austin told the bookers, "Why would I even enter the tournament? Why would you waste this big match here?" So he walked when they wouldn't change their minds.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

evale posted:

The story is that they wanted Austin to show up, and for Lesnar to come in and do a really fast squash match, all with no real build up on TV. Austin didn't like it , so he booked.
He also refused to show up at the 2005(?) Taboo Tuesday because they wanted him to lose to Coach.

Generic CAW
Aug 11, 2007

BLANDTASTIC!
I always thought the black was supposed to be paint. I mean how could he have soot on his face over 20 years later? (I know trying to make sense of it is ridiculous, but whatever)

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

...he's got tons of burn victim makeup and frizzy hair, and you just know nobody [especially Glenn] is going to go through that makeup poo poo before EVERY tv and house show..

Sting? Ultimate Warrior? Boogeyman? Muta? Doink? Hawk? Animal? Kamala? Samoa Joe? And so on and so forth.

My favorite Kane was the unspeaking monster who was somehow able to communicate very effectively just using body language. Just seeing him tilt his head to the side, you knew someone was about to die.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

evale posted:

Austin was totally in the right, even if he was a bitch about it. The match could've made millions of dollars and they wanted to throw it away in the first hour of Raw with no build whatsoever.

So instead of getting a giant PPV payoff, he'd get nothing and look stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

CSammich posted:

Sting? Ultimate Warrior? Boogeyman? Muta? Doink? Hawk? Animal? Kamala? Samoa Joe? And so on and so forth.

My favorite Kane was the unspeaking monster who was somehow able to communicate very effectively just using body language. Just seeing him tilt his head to the side, you knew someone was about to die.

This Kane was the best Kane. He would tilt his head and usually tug on his glove. I was in high school during the Monday Night Wars and everyone (in my group of friends and in the locker room during football) would quote Rock, Austin, and the NAO but everyone agreed that Kane was the one dude you just did not gently caress with.

Also, Demolition for the face-paint and Umaga.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Quasipox posted:

It's truly a work of art:

Y'know, looking at that picture he does resemble The Undertaker quite a bit. Not bad for not being related.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

oldpainless posted:

This Kane was the best Kane. He would tilt his head and usually tug on his glove. I was in high school during the Monday Night Wars and everyone (in my group of friends and in the locker room during football) would quote Rock, Austin, and the NAO but everyone agreed that Kane was the one dude you just did not gently caress with.

That's why that epic ten man match was so fantastic, you had Foley and Rock and even Rikishi throwing down against the likes of Triple H and Benoit with a bunch of other really over guys and everyone just freezes like "gently caress!" when Kane arrives.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

I wont argue this into the ground, because I don't care enough about it.. but, I will suggest that there is a difference between facepaint and damage-paint. Kane's reveal was like a movie special effect. It looks pretty lazy in that picture, but I just remember watching and thinking 'is this what he's going to look like for the rest of his career?'. It's inconcievable to maintain. Sting or Ultimate Warrior's facepaint is allowed to sweat off during a big match.. is Kane's fire-damage-from-childhood operating under the same rules?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

^^^^^^^

No, your right about the paint. I just saw some wrestlers listed with face-paint and thought I'd add to it. It wouldn't make sense for Kane's damage-paint to come off after 10 minutes of wrestling.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

KungFu Grip posted:

I believe they bumped into each other backstage and Christian asked what happened to Edge. He used to be cool. I think Edge said something like I'm still cool or that people change...I honestly don't remember if Edge had a comeback for it.

Christian came out to help John Cena when he was put on a stretcher due to Edge at Backlash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

evale posted:

ed:

Masked Kane missed out on the very cool facials of unmasked Kane. I don't like 90% of Kane's matches, but I really enjoy seeing him at all other times.

They should really make him a bodyguard. Put him with Jericho or something.

But since he's going to keep wrestling, I think he should wear the mask as a vanity mask like several Japanese wrestlers have. Wear it for his entrance, then take it off dramatically before the match. That way you mask marks get masked Kane and he can also do cool facial expressions.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

My preference would have been for Paul Bearer to admit to brainwashing him into THINKING he was scarred.

That would make sense from a storyline standpoint too - and wouldn't it be further backed up by the fact that (if I remember correctly) he supposedly burned down the family house with the parents inside? Bearer could have said the mask was to protect his identity and keep him from the authorities or something due to him being an arsonist and murderer. Don't know if they'd want to go that dark with it, but they did already say he killed his parents after all.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
They could have had Undertaker say he used demon magic or whatever to heal the burns on his face if Undertaker wasn't a goddamn dumb rear end biker cliche at this point.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The story is that they wanted Austin to show up, and for Lesnar to come in and do a really fast squash match, all with no real build up on TV. Austin didn't like it , so he booked.
He also refused to show up at the 2005(?) Taboo Tuesday because they wanted him to lose to Coach.

2002 was a strange year for Austin. I'd imagine we was still pissed about Wrestlemania 18, as well.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That would make sense from a storyline standpoint too - and wouldn't it be further backed up by the fact that (if I remember correctly) he supposedly burned down the family house with the parents inside? Bearer could have said the mask was to protect his identity and keep him from the authorities or something due to him being an arsonist and murderer. Don't know if they'd want to go that dark with it, but they did already say he killed his parents after all.

Unless they changed it later, the story was that Undertaker was the one who burned the house down and Kane was presumed to be dead in the fire as well as the parents.

I still have nightmares about the promo where Paul Bearer repeatedly declared Undertaker a murderer.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure that Kane was supposed to be brainwashed into thinking he was hideously scarred. In the interview where he set JR on fire, he told JR that he sounded just like those doctors, who said my scars were only superficial. They never outright said Paul Bearer was behind it, but it's a logical assumption to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CSammich posted:

Unless they changed it later, the story was that Undertaker was the one who burned the house down and Kane was presumed to be dead in the fire as well as the parents.

I still have nightmares about the promo where Paul Bearer repeatedly declared Undertaker a murderer.

drat, I figured I got the details wrong from only knowing bits and pieces about the storylines at that time. Still, anything would have been better than making him look like Wile E. Coyote after another failed explosion.