Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It sounds like the goal is to weave them into the opposing side, yeah, though you'd probably end up pulling it mostly when the two pieces meet on the opposite side of the circle. This makes sense, right?

Honestly the worst thing that would happen if you did this and it looked wrong would be to pull it back out.

Also I shouldn't think that would be wrong to post since there's no instructions, but it sure helps to see what we're trying to accomplish. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Good point about pulling it out and trying again. :) I'll play around with your suggestion and see what happens. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to starting up the hat again using the proper cast-on with this lovely yarn I bought from Blue Moon during a November sale a while back:

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I'm looking for a really soft yarn that doesn't felt. Any recs?
E: In worsted weight please!

Off the top of my head, Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran is a really nice soft superwash. Also Blue Sky Alpaca Worsted Hand Dyes (it's BSA though, so not so easy on the wallet!) It's got a really interesting texture to the ply; like the fibers were woven instead of twisted.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This thread inspired me to try knitting! I started a few months ago and have been messing around with lots of different types of stitches to get comfortable with the basic motions of knit and purl and have finally almost finished my first trial project. I'm working on a Slouch Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-slouch-hat) and I'm confused about the final instructions. Here's what it looks like so far with my cheapo yarn:

The pattern called for a provisional cast on, but said I could use a regular cast on if I chose and would be OK with having a seam. (That's why both edges appear to be bound off) For now, that's fine. Because of that, I don't have any live stitches to pull the hat together. That's fine too, because I'll just weave together the sides with a needle. What I don't understand is how to pull the top/circle together with these instructions:

"Run the yarn thru the stitch bumps at the very rim of the top of the hat and synch together."

Am I just supposed to run the yarn through those bumps and then pull it together as tightly as I can? I would think that'd make something of a clump at the base. The sample photo in the pattern looks more like it's flat.

What you do is thread up a needle and run that yarn tail around the edge and pull tightly and it will gather up and close the gap at the top. Then you sew your side seam. Because it's garter stitch and therefore reversible, you don't even have to sew it inside out!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That's actually what I was trying to get across but for whatever reason I thought the description of the instructions referred to 2 tails of yarn when I obviously see one in the picture. Derp. :downs:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

That's actually what I was trying to get across but for whatever reason I thought the description of the instructions referred to 2 tails of yarn when I obviously see one in the picture. Derp. :downs:

In all fairness, you did get it across to me but I thought a picture would help :shobon:

I conquered my fear of double pointed needles and made the Stitch N Bitch nation basic cable hat! I modified it slightly so the cables twist alternate ways, instead of all being CF. Once I got past the unusual feeling of being poked in the hands, I found it really easy... but unfortunately I didn't have the right sized needles and now I have a hat too small to give to an unsuspecting friend and may have to find a child to fob it off on. But I'm so happy I conquered DPNs, maybe I can have another crack at socks or try some mittens or something now!

I also finished my dad's jumper and I HATE it. The bulky yarn in a dark colour combined with a drop shoulder has made gorilla sleeves :( At least it's proof I can make a jumper from start to finish without any help though, yay.

I'll post some pictures later (this computer doesn't let me download pics from my camera, but my other computer doesn't have internet access because it's crappy so if I want to get a photo onto the internet I have to do a lot of juggling.)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Heres a quick picture of the Marram hat I knit for my boyfriend for Christmas. He loves it! It's a bit long, which is why the brim is turned up.

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Shnooks posted:

Heres a quick picture of the Marram hat I knit for my boyfriend for Christmas. He loves it! It's a bit long, which is why the brim is turned up.

Wow, I love that colorway. What is it please?

Not as if I need more yarn that becomes impossibles to distinguish from the tips of my Harmonies. I believe ALL the yarn I use to make anything other than dishcloths matches my Harmony tips exactly. I like to look at it as a personal challenge when knitting in dim lighting.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
^^^
Lol, that's why I haven't bought Harmony sticks.
Thanks for the recs. If I find a gorgeous yarn in a lighter weight, can I double it up to make it heavier?
I love how Blue Sky Alpacas Brushed Suri looks, but I don't know about knitting something so thin.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

^^^
Thanks for the recs. If I find a gorgeous yarn in a lighter weight, can I double it up to make it heavier?
I love how Blue Sky Alpacas Brushed Suri looks, but I don't know about knitting something so thin.

That's what I did with the cellphone cozies AAAND the truffle. The truffle is double stranded Wool-Ease Thick n' Quick (yeah I wanted it bulky as hell) in Taupe and the cellphone cozies are JoAnn Sensations Self-Striping Sock Yarn in... uh well I can look it up it's on Ravelry gosh.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fionnoulla posted:

Wow, I love that colorway. What is it please?

Not as if I need more yarn that becomes impossibles to distinguish from the tips of my Harmonies. I believe ALL the yarn I use to make anything other than dishcloths matches my Harmony tips exactly. I like to look at it as a personal challenge when knitting in dim lighting.

It's actually three different colors! This is the pattern for the hat on ravelry, which suggests using 2 but I used 3 instead.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marram-hat

I don't know the colors exactly - it was 3 skeins of berroco vintage that I didn't use up all the way even.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
:( It would cost me approx. 220 dollar to get enough yardage for the blanket I want to make.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

:( It would cost me approx. 220 dollar to get enough yardage for the blanket I want to make.

I drop 200 easy on making a twin-sized quilt, and I don't even do anything special with my quilts. Just block block block block batting bottom edge tie off with yarn, I use the cheap stuff for the blocks, scraps for edging, and usually on-sale flannel for the bottom, and it's still expensive as all hell.

Pretty much I see it as an investment because if you take good care of a blanket, it can totally be an heirloom and let's face it, with the next generation what it is, how many knitters are there really going to be making loving awesome blankets?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Ok, while we get a LOT of people coming into my job and buying $200 worth of yarn for blankets and beautiful things, most of the people just buy Encore worsted for $5.99.

What's the yarn you were interested in? I know acrylic blows but sometimes some alternatives don't suck so bad :(

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Blue Sky Alpacas Brushed Suri
10 skeins of lollipop and 10 of Pink Lemonade.

I'm making a blanket of 12 inch squares seamed together for a baby girl. :)
The original pattern calls for worsted, but I love how the Suri looks

I may end up splurging once I know for sure I'm having a girl.

E: Wait, the Suri is DK/8ply, that's pretty close to worsted, right? So I wouldn't have to double it?

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 1, 2010

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Shnooks posted:

Ok, while we get a LOT of people coming into my job and buying $200 worth of yarn for blankets and beautiful things, most of the people just buy Encore worsted for $5.99.

What's the yarn you were interested in? I know acrylic blows but sometimes some alternatives don't suck so bad :(

poo poo I just dropped $120 a few weeks ago on yarn I didn't even buy for a particular project, I just liked so much stuff. Some of it was for particulars, but not much.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I finished my very first project last night (a feather and fan scarf). YAY! So today I started a new one, and I have a problem.

There is a knot in the middle of my skein! I guess it's rather common (which surprises me) but I'm still pissed off about it. I guess I have to learn how to 'join' yarn whether I want to or not.

My question is, I'm making a bib for a newborn baby. It's supposed to be washable. Does this need a special type of join, or will any type do? I foresee it unraveling in the wash if I don't do it correctly. Is there an 'easy' join I should look up? I've never done this before.

Edit: If it matters, it's a Sugar and Cream variegated yarn. (variegated just means stripey, right?)

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 1, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

I finished my very first project last night (a feather and fan scarf). YAY! So today I started a new one, and I have a problem.

There is a knot in the middle of my skein! I guess it's rather common (which surprises me) but I'm still pissed off about it. I guess I have to learn how to 'join' yarn whether I want to or not.

My question is, I'm making a bib for a newborn baby. It's supposed to be washable. Does this need a special type of join, or will any type do? I foresee it unraveling in the wash if I don't do it correctly. Is there an 'easy' join I should look up? I've never done this before.

Edit: If it matters, it's a Sugar and Cream variegated yarn. (variegated just means stripey, right?)

Cotton is notoriously slippery - I would use this: http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm and I might even try to get some coordinating thread or something and sew those suckers together with a few tiny stitches.

I'm VERY PROUD of myself right now, knitters. I mentioned above that I challenged myself to knit two pairs of socks each month this year - and I thought I was going to blow it the first month, because I let my roommate pick the first pattern and she really picked a doozy, and then I couldn't knit at all for a few days because of a nasty toothache. Anyway, it took 24 days or something to do the first pair and I JUST finished the second at 11 pm on the last day of the month. Phew!

Now I just have to do it eleven more times, without killing myself or anything.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

^^^

Two strands of a yarn held together will have a gauge of about 70% the gauge of a single strange. :) So two strands of an aran (18 st gauge) held together will have a rough gauge between 12-13 st.

Anyone else hear about the yarn coming out of NZ with possum as a fiber? We got some in at work and it's quite soft and warm, but on the other hand it's a kill fiber. True, possums in NZ are pests that are destroying the habitat there, and the fibers are a by-product of the government's attempt to cull the population, but I'm not sure I love the idea of knitting with hair that was plucked from a dead animal. :gonk:

Drei fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'd try it. :v: But I love weird yarn. I still regret not picking up some yak yarn while I had a chance.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
I didn't know whether I ought to make a separate thread for this or just post it here so I'm doing both.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Here be my mate Salty Pete. He lost his eye to a whale (actually I could only find one button that size)

And because I love you all, here's how you can make your very own cephalopod friend.

Very Big Squid pattern

At over 3 feet, this is the largest free pattern for a knitted squid on the internet today!
Be sure to tell me if there's any problems with it, and do post finished squids. Pete wants some friends!

E: I'm teaching myself to knit (started a couple months ago) so criticism is extremely helpful!

**updated for metric needle sizes**

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2010

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Blackish Sheep posted:

Salty Pete!

This is amazing. You've only been knitting for a couple months?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Blackish Sheep posted:

I didn't know whether I ought to make a separate thread for this or just post it here so I'm doing both.

Here be my mate Salty Pete. He lost his eye to a whale (actually I could only find one button that size)

And because I love you all, here's how you can make your very own cephalopod friend.

Very Big Squid pattern

At over 3 feet, this is the largest free pattern for a knitted squid on the internet today!
Be sure to tell me if there's any problems with it, and do post finished squids. Pete wants some friends!

E: I'm teaching myself to knit (started a couple months ago) so criticism is extremely helpful!

:aaa:

You really, really should be selling that pattern on etsy. That toy is AMAZING.

And now I know what I'm going to do with all of this leftover wool! Thanks!

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

You think I ought to sell the pattern? I didn't think it was THAT good. Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah I've taught myself to knit with online videos and such since about November. I got bored with hats and stuff and moved on to stuffed critters.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Drei posted:

Anyone else hear about the yarn coming out of NZ with possum as a fiber? We got some in at work and it's quite soft and warm, but on the other hand it's a kill fiber. True, possums in NZ are pests that are destroying the habitat there, and the fibers are a by-product of the government's attempt to cull the population, but I'm not sure I love the idea of knitting with hair that was plucked from a dead animal. :gonk:

I personally don't have a problem with this, in fact I see it as a positive thing. The production of synthetic materials like acrylic yarn or PVC or fake fur is actually pretty bad for the environment in terms of energy consumption and waste products. But then again I'm "evil" because I'd happily wear fur if it came from a source I deemed good enough (e.g seal fur from protected coastline in Iceland rather than fur from rabbits kept in the dark stuffed in crates in China).

I think that spate of not eating animals for 9 years has given me a horrible twist on the whole thing. I'm the only person I know who would gladly wear fur or eat any animal... minus endangered ones.

In other news, drat you whichever goon traded me that Berroco Optik yarn. I couldn't resist buying some more so I had enough to turn into a tank top.

And Blackish Sheep, loving the squid pattern! He's adorable, and I love big toys. One thing though, could you put the metric needle sizes on there? Please please please if I print it out I don't want to scrawl all over it with what the metric is. I have a huge ball of blue so I think I'll have a go at making him in that!

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

I feel like such a schmuck for not considering non-Amerigoons when writing that pattern.

I'll get right on that!

:doh:

(Please don't hate me, metric users!)

E: Fixed!

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2010

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

madlilnerd posted:

In other news, drat you whichever goon traded me that Berroco Optik yarn. I couldn't resist buying some more so I had enough to turn into a tank top.

Heehee! That was moi!

(Please post a pic when it's done so I can live vicariously through you!)

Also, I WILL be knitting a squid! Luckily I live near a Michael's, home of cheap acrylic yarn

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
There's a Kraken pattern in this amigurumi book I got the other day, but that squid is extremely boss. I guess I don't have to make a decision until I finish a few other things, though.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm looking into getting a good set of needles, so I don't have to run to the store with each new project. I hear knitpicks is a good website to look at, are there others? I'd like to get the best I can afford, since crap tools are crap.

Seems like the difference between wood and metal and ?? is mostly personal preference. Is there any true benefit between one type and another?

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I LOVE that squid Blackish Sheep!
Meow Cadet, I believe some prefer wood over metal because it's less slippery. That's why I prefer it anyhow.
I have Clover straights and an Addi circular and love them both.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Blackish Sheep posted:

100% awesome

I've really wanted to get into toy knitting, but nothing jumped out at me as a must do until I saw that. Seconding that you should offer this for sale, it would do well. And I'm terribly jealous at how you were able to design that after only a few months at this!

Just one small suggestion to add to the pattern, the yardage (277) for each skein. It was fairly easy for me to search up that info, but I could see quite a few people who couldn't if you were to post it around. And I just realized I probably don't have enough acrylic in my stash and you're going to make me buy more before I finish this hat!

Meow Cadet posted:

Needle questions

Have you worked with both types to get a feel for how metal is vs. wood, or even plastic? Know anyone / have an LYS where you could borrow some needles for a bit to do a few swatches maybe?

I have the Denise interchangeable, which are plastic and a nice cross between slip and grip. They weren't too expensive for a starter set, either. My only complaint is the joins aren't very smooth and sometimes I have to fight the yarn to get it moving.

zamiel fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 2, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm looking into getting a good set of needles, so I don't have to run to the store with each new project. I hear knitpicks is a good website to look at, are there others? I'd like to get the best I can afford, since crap tools are crap.

Seems like the difference between wood and metal and ?? is mostly personal preference. Is there any true benefit between one type and another?

Metal needles are more slippery, wood tends to grip the yarn. Depending on what yarn you're using, either can be a benefit or a detriment. Silk yarn + super slippery metal needles = sometimes the needles just drop right out of the project. It's all very personal. I guess I would say it depends on what types of things you knit most often.

Keep in mind you can't use the knitpicks set with any needles smaller than size 4, also. I think there is a set that you can get smaller needles with but I can't remember which.

I have the knitpicks interchangable set in metal and I LOVE it - the joins are very smooth, the cables are nice and bendy. I used it for every non sock projcet I knit in 09, actually.

If you order the knitpicks set I believe - I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you could order a separate set of wood tips and have both, if you wanted.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Blackish Sheep posted:

I feel like such a schmuck for not considering non-Amerigoons when writing that pattern.

I'll get right on that!

:doh:

(Please don't hate me, metric users!)

E: Fixed!

No worries. I don't have a problem with imperial measurements because all my tape measures have inches on the back, but none of my needles have dual labelling except my 9mm Brittanys. Don't feel like a schmuck, writing a pattern is a lot of work so you've done really well just to get it done in the first place.

By the way... Kfb means knit into front and back of stitch, yeah? So inc?

Off I go... squids ahoy!

EDIT: Half a head done, and it looks like the picture. SQUID RAAACE! I work data entry and now my hands hurt. Curse you squid!

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 2, 2010

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Blackish Sheep posted:

Oh god! Oh god! Yes! This is so friggin awesome! So going to make one of these!
:neckbeard:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I too love that squid and will start on it after I finish the current pair of socks.

Which will probably be in a few months :v:

Instead of charging for the pattern I suggest that you submit to Knitty :D

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Haven't done one of these in a while: FO picture parade!

Turn a Square hat, designed by the awesome Jared Flood. Yarn is Cascade 220 and Silk Garden.

Fetching in Cashmerino Aran. Kinda wish I had used Rialto because the yarn is fairly pilly.

Mock Cable Button Scarf, less than one hank of Luxury Baby Alpaca Sport. This pattern was awesome for making a last minute gift for my grandma (done in a day) and is nice since you can use a smallish ball of really nice yarn to make something pretty special.

Lyerka Scarf, a pattern that comes free with Lorna's Laces Pearl yarn (which comes in a clam shell shaped container with a plastic pearl. Really simple, semi mindless lace pattern.

Drop Stitch Scarf with Lady Godiva. I loved this pattern and yarn so much! I was a little sad to give it away, but it was for a friend's birthday.

Hurry Up Spring Armwarmers with Silk Garden. I made these before in Kureyon and was going to remake them with the same stuff but went for Silk Garden instead. Wish I'd remembered I'm allergic to mohair beforehand. :( Luckily my friend wanted to try them on and they fit her perfectly.

Cthulhu fair isle hat! Done in 220. I actually remade it because I wasn't thrilled with the final size and needed to figure out a better way to block.

Foliage done with 2 hanks of Mirasol Sulka. I sorta wished I'd done a different yarn or at least a different color since the lace is somewhat lost on my dark hair, but I'm still happy with how it turned out. Also it forced me to learn Magic Loop since I didn't want to buy DPNs just for the one project.

Branching out, done with only about 2/3 a ball of Luxury Cashmere/Silk. This was for my mom and was a total labour of love. I'm a little embarrassed it took so long to finish since it's supposed to be an easy lace project, but seriously, on 3.5 mm needles each 10 row pattern repeat took 20 minutes and only gave me 1.25". Also the yarn was a bit finicky for frogging. Still, I'm very happy with the finished product.

Geez, it looks like over the past 4 months I've limited myself to hats, scarves and gloves. But I'm finally breaking out of the cycle and my first sock is nearly done. Also my store has asked me to knit up a sample pair of the Prarie Boots from Coco Knits and I'm totally psyched to cast on for them. And once I get the nerve up to invest the time and money I'm going to tackle the Central Park Hoodie.

On a different note, there's a very sweet guy in one of my classes who seems really interested in my knitting, and I'm fairly sure he wants to knit. I am definitely in favour of this, so the question is, how should I get him started? I was thinking of picking up Son of SnB for him but looking at it, it seems more written for women who want to knit for men than for men themselves. I know there's a book out there called something like "The Crochet Dude" which looks like a by men, for men sort of deal: anyone have similar recs for knitting?

Drei fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 3, 2010

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Drei posted:

On a different note, there's a very sweet guy in one of my classes who seems really interested in my knitting, and I'm fairly sure he wants to knit. I am definitely in favour of this, so the question is, how should I get him started? I was thinking of picking up Son of SnB for him but looking at it, it seems more written for women who want to knit for men than for men themselves. I know there's a book out there called something like "The Crochet Dude" which looks like a by men, for men sort of deal: anyone have similar recs for knitting?

Funny you should bring that up, my mom just spent the afternoon with some of her quilting friends. One of them is a dude-knitter who only comes to the quilting poo poo cause he's accompanying his wife. Anyway, they got talking about knitting and my mother said something about my husband wanting to learn (but NOT from me, because I don't know why...maybe he's afraid I'll laugh at him?). Anyway, the dude recommended the book Knitting With Balls by Michael Del Vecchio.

I looked at his patterns on Ravelry and the ones from that book are pretty cool...like things my husband might actually want and would use rather than the usual knitting for men patterns of boring-rear end raglan sweater, ugly colorblock scarf, and most-boring hat in the world (don't get me wrong, my husband loving LOVES his most boring hat in the world, but when it's time to replace it, he can take $3.99 to Walmart and buy one cause I'm not knitting another 2x2 ribbed hat in black wool). Anyway, you might want to see if you can find a copy of Knitting with Balls.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Drei posted:

Drop Stitch Scarf with Lady Godiva. I loved this pattern and yarn so much! I was a little sad to give it away, but it was for a friend's birthday.

I really love the pooling on this scarf. :) I've actually considered knitting this scarf but I personally don't like the aesthetic of the yarns that I saw knit with it on ravelry. I like flowing colours, instead of the haphazard visual of some multicolour yarns. I was just flipping through the knitpicks mailout the other day and saw a book called Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn (by Carol Sulcoski).

book description posted:

Learn the differences between various kinds of hand-painted yarn and how to avoid undesirable effects, like pooling, while knitting.
:wtc: I love pooling

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
What is pooling? (fresh meat here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Ha, I just googled to get some good links and I found another word I haven't heard of. Flashing. This apparently refers to a lightning-strike pattern. I would love to make something with that!

Anyway, here is an example of pooling in an unflattering way. It's when the colours stack onto eachother, row by row. I guess I can see in that article why knitters generally don't like it, but I think I'm at odds with most peoples' tastes still, because I generally find variegated yarn projects to be too "colour-jumbled" for my eyes.

There's a Flickr pool for yarn pooling done right! :)