Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
For some reason my taskbar is disappearing, but the Windows button still remains.

What's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

rolleyes posted:

Scratch disk meaning what exactly? I mean what will be on it? Temp files generated by photoshop or all your working images?

I meant "scratch disk" in the Photoshop sense, but also as storage for things I'm currently working on. After I finish, I'd file it away in the archives drive.

Swilo posted:

If by scratch you mean temporary stuff you wouldn't ever mind losing, don't bother partitioning. Otherwise I'd consider giving the OS more space depending what all you install. You might be able to improve performance by putting the scratch on the other drive so there aren't access limitations, but it would depend what kind of work you're doing.

Eh, I'd probably mind losing it. Granted, they would be works-in-progress, but it would still suck losing work halfway through.

Though I used to work with XP, and my ever-so-wonderful ex-boss somehow infected every single computer on our network with a whole shitload of viruses (like, over 300 per machine), so we had to format everything that wasn't on network shares, and I ended up losing a lot of things I was working on. I don't really want to have to go through that again, which is why I'm looking at partitioning and keeping the OS separate from everything else.

I just said 50GB because it was a round, even number. Would you think 75 is better?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
ATi's catalyst control panel is acting weird..I want to adjust my overscan settings, but it seemingly won't let me. You're supposed to be able to go to the menu, select Desktops & Displays, click the black arrow above your monitor at the bottom and select Configure..., but every time I do that, it takes me to the welcome screen. What did I do wrong?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

plaguedoctor posted:

Would you think 75 is better?
What's your Windows install using now? Windows, Program Files, Documents and Settings, etc. Make sure you have enough that running out of room isn't a problem and you'll be fine. If for some reason you manage to fill that 1.5 TB drive, simply buy another one because they'll be even cheaper by then!

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Swilo posted:

I believe thrawn was making a joke about people who "short stroke" their OS partition but then proceed to use the rest of the drive anyway, thus negating any benefits.

Basically. Plus with a 1.5tb drive theres no way it would be practical :(

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Cross posting from the home backup thread:

Has anyone had issues with the built in Windows 7 backup complaining about a full drive? I have a backup that runs fine, until the extra drive in the computer fills up.

I read that it's supposed to automatically delete older backups to make room for the new, but apparently it's not doing that. If I manually delete the old backups and start over, it'll work fine until the drive is full again.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Treytor posted:

Cross posting from the home backup thread:

Has anyone had issues with the built in Windows 7 backup complaining about a full drive? I have a backup that runs fine, until the extra drive in the computer fills up.

I read that it's supposed to automatically delete older backups to make room for the new, but apparently it's not doing that. If I manually delete the old backups and start over, it'll work fine until the drive is full again.

Just checking, this is on an internal or external drive, right? It can't delete over the network.

Sounds like a permissions or ownership error if it's local, it is supposed to delete the old ones automatically afaik.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
That's what I thought, it's a local internal drive.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm convinced the audio subsystem could use a bit more optimization. Every few minutes, "audiodg.exe" jumps up to ~12% cpu, hangs out there for a bit, then drops back to ~0%. This is with all effects disabled, all sounds disabled, and everything muted. Reports of it running a bit wild don't seem to be rare.

Soul_Apparatus
Aug 20, 2007

Stuck in the Flesh
Regarding the backup feature, I've had the backup process lock up on me before. I'm not sure what caused it.

My first backup completed successfully, but the second failed. I haven't tried again since.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Zigmidge posted:

You might as well be arguing over where someone positions their taskbar.

There's obviously no reason to argue about this because the singular correct answer is "Vertically on the left", of course.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

the correct answer is on the second monitor :0

my backup also freaks out when it runs out of space. I thought I fixed all the permissions but who knows. I just spanned together 4 old drives I had laying around so now I have 600g worth of backup, should last awhile. then I suppose I'll just delete everything except the initial "fresh" image and my most recent backup.

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 31, 2010

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thrawn86 posted:

Basically. Plus with a 1.5tb drive theres no way it would be practical :(

From what I've read I think it's meant to be use with smaller drives that are 1 or 2 platters.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is there any benefit to choosing manual backup settings as opposed to the ones windows chooses automatically?

evale
Dec 20, 2009
I have an unused copy of 7 that I'm trying to put on an old PC. It only has a 20GB HDD and every time I try to install 7 it gives me an error saying that I need roughly 6GB of free space. I don't have that on the drive.

How do I go about formatting the drive (no partitions) without the XP Setup disk?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ziploc posted:

Is there any benefit to choosing manual backup settings as opposed to the ones windows chooses automatically?

You can choose what you want to backup and when? I'm not sure I get what you mean by "benefit".

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

evale posted:

I have an unused copy of 7 that I'm trying to put on an old PC. It only has a 20GB HDD and every time I try to install 7 it gives me an error saying that I need roughly 6GB of free space. I don't have that on the drive.

How do I go about formatting the drive (no partitions) without the XP Setup disk?

win7 will format it for you no problem, is that what you're asking? go into custom install, and go from there.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

win7 will format it for you no problem, is that what you're asking? go into custom install, and go from there.

I tried that route and it would not let me format the partition. I remember an error about not being able to install in Partition/Disk 0 or something along those lines. It doesn't give me an option to create a new partition and I'm stuck on that screen.

My question was about formatting the drive before installing Win7 and then using the boot USB/DVD to run setup.

Not a big deal though, it was more an experiment than anything, and I'll probably have it run Ubuntu or something if it keeps giving me problems.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

evale posted:

I tried that route and it would not let me format the partition. I remember an error about not being able to install in Partition/Disk 0 or something along those lines. It doesn't give me an option to create a new partition and I'm stuck on that screen.

My question was about formatting the drive before installing Win7 and then using the boot USB/DVD to run setup.

Not a big deal though, it was more an experiment than anything, and I'll probably have it run Ubuntu or something if it keeps giving me problems.

Were you starting the installation process while running whatever OS is on there currently? That could cause the problem..try booting directly off the Win7 DVD and see what happens.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Can't you just use DBAN to wipe the drive completely first?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

or gparted, or wipe the drive in another computer if you don't feel like burning another iso.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks everyone. :-)

And for anyone who hasn't tried it, placing the task bar on the left vertically has been a joy to work with.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

evale posted:

And for anyone who hasn't tried it, placing the task bar on the left vertically has been a joy to work with.

I agree, at least on my desktop with a 23" widescreen monitor. I find it much more natural this way.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
There are a few games I run below my native res, and when I get back to my desktop, my desktop icons will be rearranged. Is there any way to stop this, or some kind of script/program to use that will return them to the previous arrangement?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Is there a way to turn off highlighting on the taskbar when you go over a window ?

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

evale posted:

The right side is the way of God. :colbert:

Swilo posted:

What's your Windows install using now? Windows, Program Files, Documents and Settings, etc. Make sure you have enough that running out of room isn't a problem and you'll be fine. If for some reason you manage to fill that 1.5 TB drive, simply buy another one because they'll be even cheaper by then!

Oh, I guess I didn't explain it well.

I was just thinking about using 2 physical drives. The first is 300GB, and using a 50-100GB partition for the OS and then the other partition for program files (mostly Adobe CS stuff) and "active" files (meaning: files I'm currently working on).

Anything else, such as work I've already completed, would go on a completely separate physical drive simply for archival storage and safekeeping.

Since I'm not dealing with gaming or anything processor intensive (I have a multi-core system that exceeds my needs as it is), I wasn't thinking about shortstroking or overclocking or anything like that; I'm just looking for a solution that would safeguard my data from another kind of situation as I had before. IE, I don't want to have to nuke all my data along with my OS just to keep my machine healthy.

As for the question:
My Win7 install is using about 36GB right now. Even less than my Vista install, somehow...

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Doody the Clown posted:

There are a few games I run below my native res, and when I get back to my desktop, my desktop icons will be rearranged. Is there any way to stop this, or some kind of script/program to use that will return them to the previous arrangement?

I know there is a program that does it because I have it. It's called Desktop Restore, i'm pretty sure. I think it's freeware. It works perfectly.
I have no idea if it's windows 7 compatible though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Doody the Clown posted:

I'd love to help, but since taskbar pinning, I have been running with zero desktop icons.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Okay, so I order Windows 7 through my school and got a key but for whatever reason I can't figure out what version I got besides Windows 7 Profressional - I'm guessing this is the business edition?

EDIT - Nevermind, it's just Windows 7 Professional.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 2, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'd love to help, but since taskbar pinning, I have been running with zero desktop icons.

I disabled desktop icons - no reason to worry about deleting them when I can just turn 'em off. And as a bonus, it doesn't affect gadgets.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just got access to MSDN through my college classes here in Canada and they have Win7 Professional on there for me to download for free. I already have Win7 Home Premium at home. Will I need to do a clean install or can I just upgrade over this?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I just got access to MSDN through my college classes here in Canada and they have Win7 Professional on there for me to download for free. I already have Win7 Home Premium at home. Will I need to do a clean install or can I just upgrade over this?

If you're staying at the same bit level (32 vs 64), you should just be able to use the key you get and do an anytime upgrade. No disc needed.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Doody the Clown posted:

Look into using your GPU driver's scaling feature to output the game at desktop resolution instead of having the monitor do it.

plaguedoctor posted:

Oh, I guess I didn't explain it well.

As for the question:
My Win7 install is using about 36GB right now.
No, it was me who didn't make sense. I understood what you were getting at with two drives, but putting your temp files and such on the huge one wouldn't be a bad move either. Space isn't really a problem these days unless you partition too small, so don't worry about being frugal.

If you're only using 36GB then 50 may be fine, but 75 would probably be safer. You can never be too sure what you might want to do in the future, and that pesky WinSxS folder will only keep growing as your computer ages.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I have sort of a random question. Currently I am running Win 7 Pro and I want to upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate. I get 7 Ultimate for free from school so I'm going to upgrade my machine to that and give my Win 7 Pro to my brother. I have two questions.

1) Can I use the key I get from school for Ultimate as an upgrade key in the Windows Anytime Upgrade?

2) If I do this or upgrade to Ultimate another way is my Win 7 pro key no longer going to work because that is what is currently on my machine?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
If I buy win 7 pro can I use it hassle free on my box, even after I install new hardware on the box and later reinstall win 7? And then when I throw that box away and buy a new one, install it on that with the same key? Or do I have to phone microsoft or some bullshit?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Vehementi posted:

If I buy win 7 pro can I use it hassle free on my box, even after I install new hardware on the box and later reinstall win 7? And then when I throw that box away and buy a new one, install it on that with the same key? Or do I have to phone microsoft or some bullshit?

Worst case scenario, you have to call. But that's pretty painless, and in all likelihood you won't need to.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I have a question about internationalization and the different versions of Windows. In this case, it would now be Win7, but what does "Enterprise Edition" mean? I have the opportunity to get the Enterprise Edition, but, as far as I'm aware, multi-language options for the OS (not IME, rather, multiple language for system files and such) are only in the Ultimate versions.

Is Enterprise the same as Ultimate, but only for mass deployment? Is there any difference?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

plaguedoctor posted:

I have a question about internationalization and the different versions of Windows. In this case, it would now be Win7, but what does "Enterprise Edition" mean? I have the opportunity to get the Enterprise Edition, but, as far as I'm aware, multi-language options for the OS (not IME, rather, multiple language for system files and such) are only in the Ultimate versions.

Is Enterprise the same as Ultimate, but only for mass deployment? Is there any difference?

Short version: Enterprise is the Volume License version, Ultimate is the consumer version. Feature-wise they are identical in Windows 7. With Vista, Enterprise had slightly less (didn't have the Media Center IIRC or the Ultimate Extras) but in 7 Enterprise, every feature is there, including the MUI.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

LooseChanj posted:

Worst case scenario, you have to call. But that's pretty painless, and in all likelihood you won't need to.
On top of it, the call last on average for me about two minutes, and I have to make it all of the time. Why some people are so averse to dialing that number is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

-Dethstryk- posted:

On top of it, the call last on average for me about two minutes, and I have to make it all of the time. Why some people are so averse to dialing that number is beyond me.

They're afraid they're going to get told 'No', which happens IME in only the rarest of occasions, and typically only after the reactivation privilege has been heartily abused.