Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Recommendations for a fast B&W 35mm? Shooting a gig this weekend and I thought I might take my pentax along for a bit of fun.

Ilford Delta 400. Crank it to 1600 or 3200. It'll give you a little finer grain than HP5+ or Tri-X when pushed to such extremes.

Beware that your first concert with manual focus may become a gong show of front and back-focused photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Recommendations for a fast B&W 35mm? Shooting a gig this weekend and I thought I might take my pentax along for a bit of fun.

Tri-X or Delta 400 pushed to 1600/3200

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Delta 3200 at 6400. :c00l:

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

HPL posted:

Ilford Delta 400. Crank it to 1600 or 3200. It'll give you a little finer grain than HP5+ or Tri-X when pushed to such extremes.

Beware that your first concert with manual focus may become a gong show of front and back-focused photos.

Neopan 1600 is my favorite. It has such a "film noir" look to it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

killabyte posted:

Neopan 1600 is my favorite. It has such a "film noir" look to it.

How fast can you really shoot it?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

How fast can you really shoot it?

I've never really tried to go beyond 1600 with it, but I have seen results at 3200 that look OK. It just tends to get very contrasty.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Neopan 1600 @ 3200 isn't that bad, seems best at 1200-1600 in my experience.

Delta 3200 at 3200 has given me some pretty unexpectedly good results, good shadow detail, i think in tmax developer? maybe xtol...

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I don't think my camera goes past 1600 unfortunately (Pentax ME Super)

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don't think my camera goes past 1600 unfortunately (Pentax ME Super)

That has EV compensation, doesn't it? You might be able to go past 1600 that way.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Yeah but it's locked to only let you overexpose when you're set to 1600, so you can't go any higher. I'll see what I can do with what I have.

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
I'll probably cross-post this in the camera stuff megathread in sa-mart eventually, but would any of you guys be interested in buying some kodachrome 64 off of me? I've got 5 rolls, cold stored, 4 rolls expire in November of this year, one in July.

I have no idea what to list the price as or anything, but I'm sure I'd be cool with making offers / splitting it up and stuff. I figure someone here would do a better job with it than me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

aol keyword party posted:

I'll probably cross-post this in the camera stuff megathread in sa-mart eventually, but would any of you guys be interested in buying some kodachrome 64 off of me? I've got 5 rolls, cold stored, 4 rolls expire in November of this year, one in July.

I have no idea what to list the price as or anything, but I'm sure I'd be cool with making offers / splitting it up and stuff. I figure someone here would do a better job with it than me.

About $10/roll, at least on RFF.

Which reminds me, I've got 4 to shoot myself :-\

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF

would any of you guys be interested in buying some kodachrome 64 off of me? I've got 5 rolls, cold stored, 4 rolls expire in November of this year, one in July.
I would be interested in a roll or 2

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

have it your weigh posted:

I would be interested in a roll or 2

email me : me[at]jeffreyinternet[dot]net, we can work something out?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm in the wrong decade. It seems there's only one lab in Portland that will even do sheet film, and their E-6 machines are only run a few times a week. I bet I could get same-day E-6 sheet film processing on a Saturday if I lived in the 80s...

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

There's like 2 or 3 places in LA that do E-6 and even then, it's only once a week.

I'd figure there'd at least be more volume in a place like here...but no

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Shot a roll of Neopan 1600 last night, and finished off some XP2 that was in the camera.
My mate shot a roll of Ilford 3200 at 1600, and Ilford 400 at 1600. It'll be interesting to compare the 3.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

As far as I can tell, there's one guy in all of Wisconsin that does E6, and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Prices are reasonable though, about in line with the Walmart send-out service.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

There's like 2 or 3 places in LA that do E-6 and even then, it's only once a week.

I'd figure there'd at least be more volume in a place like here...but no

Wow. I can get same day E6 in San Jose, and even same day E6 120!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

As far as I can tell, there's one guy in all of Wisconsin that does E6, and only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Prices are reasonable though, about in line with the Walmart send-out service.

Can you do 4x5 through Walmart? That would own.

The only lab I could find locally is actually about a 30-40 minute drive away. On the plus side, they have some of the cheapest rates for 4x5 E-6 film I've seen, and it's one day (in by 1pm, out by 5pm). C-41 they only do twice per week though.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
I really love the 4x5 large format Kodachrome gallery over at Shorpy.com. But when I asked myself the question what I loved so much about the pictures, I found it was mostly three things:

1. The detail (no surprise with LF film really)
2. The colors
3. The weird "glow" these pictures seemed to have that made everything look really smooth and matte.

And when I looked more closely, I discovered that they did in fact have a glow effect. It can be seen very well in the "Heavy lifting: 1942" picture.

So, my question is: What caused that glow? (and how can I recreate it for digital pictures?)

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 30, 2010

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I bought a random off-brand tank for class. I'm pretty sure it's a clone of the "AP" tanks that Adorama/Freestyle sell. Does anyone know if the reels from this tank will fit into the Paterson tanks? Micromanaging multiple tanks for doing a bunch of 120 is tremendously :effort: and Paterson makes a 5 reel (3x120) tank that's tempting.

I have this (or close)

This is a Paterson reel

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 30, 2010

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

unleash the unicorn posted:

I really love the 4x5 large format Kodachrome gallery over at Shorpy.com. But when I asked myself the question what I loved so much about the pictures, I found it was mostly three things:

2. The colors
3. The weird "glow" these pictures seemed to have that made everything look really smooth and matte.

And when I looked more closely, I discovered that they did in fact have a glow effect. It can be seen very well in the "Heavy lifting: 1942" picture.

So, my question is: What caused that glow? (and how can I recreate it for digital pictures?)

It could be a lot of things, most likely it is a result of low resolution/poor scanning. To recreate I would duplicate the layer and apply a gaussian blur then fiddle with blending modes and opacity, though I don't really see the appeal.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Twenties Superstar posted:

It could be a lot of things, most likely it is a result of low resolution/poor scanning. To recreate I would duplicate the layer and apply a gaussian blur then fiddle with blending modes and opacity, though I don't really see the appeal.

It could be the lenses; on RFF a number of people prefer shooting with the old Leica screw mount lenses for a supposed "Leica glow". I've seen some side-by-side comparisons and there does seem to be a glow in shots from the old Leica lenses compared with modern ones, but like you it doesn't really appeal to me.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Has anybody used the Massive Dev Chart iphone app? Looks like it could be handy.

I have it and use it. Its pretty customizable and very useful. It was worth it to me. Especially for looking up development details I forgot to look up before I got to the dark room.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

unleash the unicorn posted:

2. The colors

I bet the camera shifted during exposure. Kodachrome sheet film was reeeeaaaally
slow, like ASA 6 or 8.

I wouldn't rule out chromatic aberration from using uncorrected lenses either.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 30, 2010

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can you do 4x5 through Walmart? That would own.
I don't believe so, but it might be worth a try. The guy I mentioned before does 4x5 E6/C41 for $2/sheet though, and I can definitely deal with that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ugh I have trouble loading film into the sprocket and when I develop them sometimes I get a complete black picture (was it because the films stuck to each other?)

It's weird that the first time I developed film I was extra nervous and cautious but the film turned out ok. The 2nd and 3rd time I had splotches of undeveloped film in the centre of the roll or the beginning.

What did I do wrong? Are films not suppose to touch each other at all? And one big issue I have with putting the film into the canister is that there seems to be never enough space to load all the film... Can some one give me some pointers? thanks!

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

caberham posted:

Ugh I have trouble loading film into the sprocket and when I develop them sometimes I get a complete black picture (was it because the films stuck to each other?)

It's weird that the first time I developed film I was extra nervous and cautious but the film turned out ok. The 2nd and 3rd time I had splotches of undeveloped film in the centre of the roll or the beginning.

What did I do wrong? Are films not suppose to touch each other at all? And one big issue I have with putting the film into the canister is that there seems to be never enough space to load all the film... Can some one give me some pointers? thanks!

What kind of reels are you using?

If you haven't, sacrifice a roll of film (or use a poorly developed uncut one)and practice loading it 15 times in the light. Don't stop after the first few. You should be able to start getting a feel for if it is in the tracks correctly or skipping it.

Edit: No, the film is not supposed to touch itself. This prevents the chemicals from reaching it, leading to blank un-developed frames.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If you can, get Hewes brand reels. The difference is worth the extra cost. It will pay for itself in film not wasted and frustration not experienced.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

killabyte posted:

I've never really tried to go beyond 1600 with it, but I have seen results at 3200 that look OK. It just tends to get very contrasty.

Yeah, I was wondering more if it was overrated on the box. Delta 3200 is like that. You can get 3200 out of it if you push develop. If you just chuck it in a non-accelerating developer it's like 800-1200 or something.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I bought a random off-brand tank for class. I'm pretty sure it's a clone of the "AP" tanks that Adorama/Freestyle sell. Does anyone know if the reels from this tank will fit into the Paterson tanks? Micromanaging multiple tanks for doing a bunch of 120 is tremendously :effort: and Paterson makes a 5 reel (3x120) tank that's tempting.

I have this (or close)

This is a Paterson reel

Anyone know if these reels are compatible?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice, I'm using a patterson super system 4 film development tank. I guess I'm using a patterson reel? Film supplies are hard to get in my area so I'm going to sacrifice the cheapest brand of film and just practice loading the film into the reel.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anyone know if these reels are compatible?
From the picture, it looks like it was indeed made to fit in normal Paterson tanks

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting
I've been shooting and developing P3200 recently and my negatives have been extremely dark. I don't mean the picture area, the whole strip of film is dark. Is that how it's supposed to look, or did I screw up the development process somehow? Or did four separate factory-loaded canisters' worth of film get exposed to light?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
AP reels fit in Paterson tanks just fine. The only downside is that they're a little looser on the tube thingy than Paterson ones do, so they may slide around a bit. I usually get around this by putting the AP reels on first, then a Paterson reel on the top.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recieved a few rolls of Ilford HP5, how will that work out if I push/pull it? I'll be developing in HC-110, if that makes a difference.

email me : me[at]jeffreyinternet[dot]net, we can work something out?

Sent you an email.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just got my test roll of Velvia 100 back from the lab, looks phenomenal, glad I've got 19 more rolls to bring with me on my trip. Unfortunately, scanning it really reveals the inadequacy of my scanner. Quite a few frames are obviously not overexposed when you look at the slide, plenty of detail in the highlights, but scan terribly.

Both taken with a Nikon Ftn, metered with a Gossen Luna-pro.

S.C. sweeps
Apr 23, 2006
Would anyone recommend the Canon Canoscan 8800F as a good 35mm slide scanner? I have about 3000 slides that need to be scanned and that is starting to look like the best one for the value.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Reichstag posted:

Just got my test roll of Velvia 100 back from the lab, looks phenomenal, glad I've got 19 more rolls to bring with me on my trip. Unfortunately, scanning it really reveals the inadequacy of my scanner. Quite a few frames are obviously not overexposed when you look at the slide, plenty of detail in the highlights, but scan terribly.

Both taken with a Nikon Ftn, metered with a Gossen Luna-pro.
According to some nerds on the internet, velvia's contrast is quite possibly the highest of all films, as in, the blacks on the slide are really black and the whites on the slide are really white. From what I gathered, most film scanners can't capture the full dynamic range of a velvia slide. This is actually why I started using my 5D to digitize more control and it seems like I can just barely get all the shadow detail and highlight detail in one pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
When I get back I may just not get anything processed for a bit, then when I've got the money take it all to a lab with a Noritsu and have them do it.