Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Elephant phallus hide? Better grip when wet?

The jokes just write themselves people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Interrupting Moss posted:

As a testament to the man's madness, I did not immediately dismiss this as a joke.

omg this guy is bat poo poo insane.

Wu-Tang Crayon
May 6, 2009
Also he was apparently wearing a woman's shirt, judging by the buttons.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

It's pretty funny how he points to the contact page to see a hi-rez pic as to show that it, in fact, is not a flipped negative! Hah.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
Everyone should read the entire "Everything New Sucks" just since it's the single greatest Dorkroom troll we'll ever experience but the digital camera section was too good not to highlight:

K-Rock posted:

With digital, no one can get their cameras to go. Half the time the pictures don't take when you press the button. Maybe there's no card in the camera, maybe you have it set wrong, or maybe the battery is dead. Good luck, sucker!

If you can get the camera to work, good luck trying to figure out how to set it. There are hundreds of garbage features in its menu system, so you never can get to the two or three features that actually do something useful.

:bahgawd: Gerddamn digital cameras not takin the pictures when I tell em to and forgetting the memory card. Gerddamn menus too complicated THE NINETEEN EIGHTIES i tell ya

Leyendecker fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 23, 2010

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

FasterThanLight posted:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

His proof that the lefty elephant penis F100 is real is the fact that he wears his watch upside down, apparently.
There was a godawful writeup of him in a magazine a bit ago where he confirmed that it isn't real.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/Images/pdf/better-photography-in-2010-01.pdf

quote:

“You Cannot Be Serious”

According to a disclaimer on his website, Ken has mentioned that while writing articles, he often makes mistakes deliberately. A lot of his statements are practical jokes, and anyone reading his site must have a sense of humour to spot these ‘mistakes’. “I do these deliberate gaffes because they are fun!” says Ken.

The website has a photograph of Ken holding what seems to be a “left-handed” Nikon F100 camera. He decided to tell people that it is a custom-made left-handed camera that Nikon were kind enough to gift him. “In reality, of course, it is a regular camera whose picture I flipped around, because it looked better on the webpage’s layout!” With the constant scrutiny that surrounds his articles, his readers send him over a thousand emails even if he gets one product specification wrong. “But when I play these elaborate practical jokes, everybody believes me!” he laughs.

Interrupting Moss posted:

I'm absolutely convinced he's the photography world's equivalent of Fox News: saying whatever it takes to get the most viewers excited one way or the other so they'll keep coming back.

In other words: a troll to behold.

spog posted:

I think he deliberately has opinions that he knows will wind people up.

In other words, he's not an idiot, he is a clever troll. Let's face it, he gets quoted a lot more than people with sensible/mainstream opinions.
You give him too much credit. He isn't that clever, he's just ultra spergy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3S0_7xKOIc

psylent posted:

When I was growing up, my dad used to tell me something. He was an electrician for a little over a decade- well, he still is, but active and learning and in business, etc. Very handy to have around; he was fixing a friend's guitar cable the other day and was laughing at how bad the solder job was that the tech shop had done on the cable a few weeks prior. He then proceeded to own, fixed the cable, making it look effortless.

Anyway, in his years of studying and learning, he came to understand that the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. That maxim, in my adult years, helps me to keep perspective.

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 23, 2010

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I love seeing people get upset about k-rock. His recommended camera is a p&s which says a lot about his target audience. He makes a living from referrals from the camera stores he links to on every page, and gets to play with dope gear all the time. Which leads to more articles, more links, more sweet gear. Its a vicious cycle :ohdear:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

psylent posted:

This was great, I'm a bit embarrassed to say it describes me pretty well

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Edit: Welp, nevermind.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

quote:

even had a veterinarian friend in Africa who specializes in elephant care send me some phallus hide from the Loxodonta Africana (known for its flexibility and grip when wet)

I wonder how one obtains this kind of specific dermatological knowledge?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Anyone know where I can find a hi-res version of this photo?

It's a promotional shot from Canon, but I just love the colours and light. I want a new desktop picture, dammit!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

psylent posted:

Is that /p/ as in the 4chan board?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Leyendecker posted:

Everyone should read the entire "Everything New Sucks" just since it's the single greatest Dorkroom troll we'll ever experience but the digital camera section was too good not to highlight:

:bahgawd: Gerddamn digital cameras not takin the pictures when I tell em to and forgetting the memory card. Gerddamn menus too complicated THE NINETEEN EIGHTIES i tell ya

No its a stupid loving article and a weak troll attempt since every one of his arguments against digital could also be applied to film cameras

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX
Just for Bottom Liner!

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Which one of you did this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

Which one of you did this

hahaha

What was the name of the book for the first monthly reading assignment? Think the thread is back in archives now.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
It was "Criticizing Photographs" by Terry Barrett. Which I still have yet to finish. :(

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
with all the crit talk in PAD i was just thinking about the book, im a couple of chapters in, but i gave up when everyone became disinterested. its not the easiest of reads for someone not used to reading art writing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Private Label posted:

It was "Criticizing Photographs" by Terry Barrett. Which I still have yet to finish. :(

Cheers, thanks. Found an older copy of it at the library, will be reading through it.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
This is insane and awesome!

It's a whole collection of old photos taken while put back into the scene, if that makes sense. Check it out.

I think my favorite is this one:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mannequin posted:

This is insane and awesome!

It's a whole collection of old photos taken while put back into the scene, if that makes sense. Check it out.

I think my favorite is this one:

That's pretty amazing. Wouldn't you have to know exactly where the original photographer was standing, in order to get the perspective just right?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Rephotography is kind of an interesting photo history thing. This website has a pretty cool map/overlay thing with the images.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

For some reason I have been seeing a lot of the hold a postcard/picture in front of the actual scene thing recently.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Since I've been absorbed in Kevin Frank's work the last few days I'll put this here as something neat.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
National Geographic / Light painting Stonehenge

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Awesome, that was really cool, thanks for sharing. I have that issue.

. . .

On an unrelated note, looks like the official White House photographers are now using tilt/shift lenses as part of their arsenal. (Also, they all shoot with Canon 5D Mk II's):

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mannequin posted:

On an unrelated note, looks like the official White House photographers are now using tilt/shift lenses as part of their arsenal. (Also, they all shoot with Canon 5D Mk II's):

So, give it about 3 months and we'll start to see really crappily tone mapped HDRs from them...

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Someone go donate them a few Lensbabies, please.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
i dont know about you guys, but to me, the tilt shift makes it harder to look at. not a real fan in this application.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

FasterThanLight posted:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/about.htm#lefty

His proof that the lefty elephant penis F100 is real is the fact that he wears his watch upside down, apparently.

So I never actually knew what this guy looked like... but wanted to see for myself. Yup... that's a flash on a super tele.

In other news, he wears his watch upside down. The watch face looks shopped though: http://www.kenrockwell.com/Images/KenLens3k.jpg

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Must be a Republican photographer, being a fan of small government and all.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bahama.Llama posted:

So I never actually knew what this guy looked like... but wanted to see for myself. Yup... that's a flash on a super tele.

In other news, he wears his watch upside down. The watch face looks shopped though: http://www.kenrockwell.com/Images/KenLens3k.jpg
Everything about that image confirms that Ken Rockwell is the OG of photography trolls.

"Special left hand body" because I'm special
Tiny on camera flash with fuckoff huge lens (that will block said flash)
Carefully photoshopped Nikon logo and watch face bullshit
reversed button on shirt unedited just to leave enough controversy for the sperglords

Amazing, really. Stand in awe of the man, we should all be so great.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HPL posted:

Must be a Republican photographer, being a fan of small government and all.

heh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really have a problem with that particular photo. It helps focus the eye on Obama in an otherwise cluttered room. Not that it would be a Where's Waldo photo otherwise, but I don't really mind the TS in this case.

Though the angle it was shot at does make the TS look a little off. Maybe if they put the photographers dead centre, it would look a little better.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

and the award for best shutter name goes to

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't get it

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Has anyone used The Turning Gate lightroom gallery templates?

Tempted to buy them, they look drat good as far as lightroom generated websites go.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone know where I can buy some cheap, single color, christmas lights in NYC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Found a link to this guy over in the Cycle Asylum:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536451

Dude rides a motorcycle and brings along his 5D MkII/16-35 F2.8L setup in his tank bag. When he sees a good shot, he grabs the camera by the top and just fires away with his index finger while riding one handed. He has some outrageously beautiful shots.

Says most of the time he shoots shutter priority between 1/80 and rarely over 1/200, mostly 1/125. If he's shooting into the sun he'll even go so far as to use manual mode.