Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BeigeJacket posted:

This is the kind of thing that has put me off moderns. Every bat rep or mission for this kind of thing always has the most adolescent, offensive make-believe story or setting. "Hay guys check out this AAR of my US marines slaughtering the militia of Oooga Booga bongo darkie land". :ughh:
How is that any different from playing Romans teaching those filthy Gauls a lesson or exterminating those evil jews and slavs with your Germans? Seriously, your toy mans are not you. Distance yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

This is the kind of thing that has put me off moderns. Every bat rep or mission for this kind of thing always has the most adolescent, offensive make-believe story or setting. "Hay guys check out this AAR of my US marines slaughtering the militia of Oooga Booga bongo darkie land". :ughh:

Are you seriously upset that you're not allowed to shoot Africans?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

How is that any different from playing Romans teaching those filthy Gauls a lesson or exterminating those evil jews and slavs with your Germans? Seriously, your toy mans are not you. Distance yourself.

Seriously.

Read the fluff in the Flames of War books. Holy crap.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Does the scenario say it takes place in Africa? Are you just assuming based off of their skin color? Is there any reason it couldn't just be downtown Atlanta?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That made me think of another AA scenario:

* National Guard Weapon Confiscation in NOLA

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
In the end, I think the important think to keep in mind is that historical wargaming is closely connecting with doing research on the conflict. Even if you are playing British colonial troops shooting down waves of Zulu warriors, it's also means that you read up on the conflict: who was involved, what their aims were, why it ended like it did. Playing those British colonial troops does not mean that you condone what the British imperium did, but it most likely means that you know more about that part of history than 98% of the people around you. Educating yourself about history is a good thing, and understanding nationalistic ideas from other people's points of view makes you less likely to uphold uninformed jingoistic bullshit ideas yourself. Compare that to your average FPS game that require absolutely zero understanding of the conflict that is represented.

It's not about celebrating an historical conflict. Painting WW2 Germans doesn't make me root for them. But it sure makes me more informed about the harsh reality of WW2 and why doing all that again would be a horrible thing.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Aah, gently caress it, I've deleted my previous rambling response. Look it's the players OK. If dudes want to game the Congo or Somalia thats fine, go right ahead. But don't call it Ongobongoland cause it's juvenile and make you look like a fool. Maybe I've got bad luck but the few times moderns has picqued my interest I've seen this kind of thing.

Oh, and I would never play the germans in FOW or anything else cause I'm a beacon of moral authority and :smuggo:

EDIT:

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Does the scenario say it takes place in Africa? Are you just assuming based off of their skin color? Is there any reason it couldn't just be downtown Atlanta?

It was the use of the work Bongo that did it. Not sure about the US or Aus (if that's where you are) but in the UK 'Bongo' is a (rather old fashioned) racial slur referring to Africa and Africans.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 25, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Commissar says I can play the IRA in a 1916 game when I visit yankland :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Commissar says I can play the IRA in a 1916 game when I visit yankland :colbert:

drat straight. I'm looking for some B&Ts to paint up right now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I don't think I've ever heard the term bongo used for anything (in the US).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

It was the use of the work Bongo that did it.

So maybe it takes place in Berkeley?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

S.J. posted:

I don't think I've ever heard the term bongo used for anything (in the US).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Chenghiz posted:

Anything ... else :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

S.J. posted:

Anything ... else :v:

:nws:https://wi.somethingawful.com/22/22d1ad827e0d30a08d7926760361eea3a9ee2025.jpg#via=salr

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I would play those bongos.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I always referred to those as gazongas, not bongos :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

How about some 90mm Medieval Minitaure gaming:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

How about some 90mm Medieval Minitaure gaming:

I keep expecting to see someone trying out rules for 1/6 scale (dragon/action man/barbie 12" figures) skirmish games.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Finally started my Soviet army for Flames of War. I'm actually moving interstate soon so have to keep purchases to a minimum till I actually move, but couldn't resist getting this set:

These tanks look awesome. I'm surprised how big they are too in comparison to the 'Open Fire!' tanks. I also got another IS-2 tank in a blister, so 6 of them so far. I read some history about them that said they were typically fielded in units of 21 Is-2 tanks during WW2, so I wouldn't mind eventually having that many and running an all tank list. Especially because the 'Stalin's onslaught' book contains a list for up to 21 of them.

EDIT: Oh, I mean so I'd have the ability to field 21 of them if I wanted a historically correct battle. I do plan to buy infantry, planes, artillery and such too for variety.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 27, 2010

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Bought 4 boxes of 1/72nd scale Caesar plastic miniatures for Ambush Alley. 1 of Special Forces, 1 of Modern US Elite, 1 of African and Asian Militia and one of Urban Resistance. Going to be wicked.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

For those of you who want to do an Africa/Middle-East Ambush Alley thing, here are some good links for terrain:

http://www.matakishi.com/makingdesertbuildings.htm
http://madaboutgaming.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-make-middle-easternnorth-african.html

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Roma posted:

Finally started my Soviet army for Flames of War. I'm actually moving interstate soon so have to keep purchases to a minimum till I actually move, but couldn't resist getting this set:

These tanks look awesome. I'm surprised how big they are too in comparison to the 'Open Fire!' tanks. I also got another IS-2 tank in a blister, so 6 of them so far. I read some history about them that said they were typically fielded in units of 21 Is-2 tanks during WW2, so I wouldn't mind eventually having that many and running an all tank list. Especially because the 'Stalin's onslaught' book contains a list for up to 21 of them.

EDIT: Oh, I mean so I'd have the ability to field 21 of them if I wanted a historically correct battle. I do plan to buy infantry, planes, artillery and such too for variety.

It's so nice to see someone at the start of a beautiful love/hate relationship.

edit for content: The IS-2's are fantastic line breakers, especially if you can deal with enemy PaK40s before the tanks go in. Add an infantry component and tankodesantniki to the mix and about 900 points of your force can crush just about anything in front of them.

ShitheadDeluxe fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 27, 2010

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I open my postbox and what do I see?
96 samurai, staring at me:

The 6mm madness begins!

also enough bases to last a long time, including FoW bases:

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
My miniatures from QRF arrived the other day at last, and I am super surprised by the detail you can fit on a 15mm army man...they look great and I've already started painting them, will post some pics when I eventually manage to get some batteries for my camera :)

Also ordered some nice basing stuff and more paints for the skin and weapons. I am following convention and painting them in Desert Camo because I like it, it was that or urban but desert is easier!

Anyway, QRF minis are good quality...just thought people might like to know :)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Morham posted:

Anyway, QRF minis are good quality...just thought people might like to know :)

Indeed they are and you are meking me feel guitly for not painting up the platoon of US Marines (and LAV25) I bought from them last year!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zxm6w1.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/332w9y9.jpg

I will build a lightbox eventually!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Anyone pick up Black Powder! yet? I really want to check it out but $53!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zxm6w1.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/332w9y9.jpg

I will build a lightbox eventually!

Yay! How big are those bases- they look very thick, or is it that they are not very big?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

muggins posted:

No noone at all. Hence why there have been numerous posts in this thread about it including a write up on it on page 1.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

muggins posted:

Serotonin posted:

No noone at all. Hence why there have been numerous posts in this thread about it including a write up on it on page 1.

:v:

Seriously, though, buy it. You will not regret it.

Serotonin posted:

Yay! How big are those bases- they look very thick, or is it that they are not very big?

16mmx16mm. Mathematically, that's what they worked out to based on the numbers Black powder wants me to use for 28mm.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Sorry, I think I read the first post when it didn't have the BP info in it yet.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anyone got any reccomendations for places to get 1/285 or 1/300 scale modern buildings? I'm looking for things like office blocks, fast food restaurants, homes that wouldn't be out of place in Western Europe or the USA. I can find lots of WW2 era stuff but not as much modern. I'd prefer solid models but papercraft would work at a push... so guides to scratchbuilding this kind of thing would help.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Reading up a bit on train scales, it seems like ZZ would be right on the money (1:300) but that it is an incredibly obscure and new scale. I have no idea how good Z scale (1:220) would look next to 6mm figures. If it does work, then there's your goldmine for modern buildings. If you have a train hobby store in your area you should take some figures there and compare.

EDIT: progress report on my own 6mm samurai: doing great, about halfways done already with the first hundred guys.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Anyone got any reccomendations for places to get 1/285 or 1/300 scale modern buildings? I'm looking for things like office blocks, fast food restaurants, homes that wouldn't be out of place in Western Europe or the USA. I can find lots of WW2 era stuff but not as much modern. I'd prefer solid models but papercraft would work at a push... so guides to scratchbuilding this kind of thing would help.

Timecast.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
I really should take pictures of my FOW stuff. I think I will saturday when I break out the 40k poo poo, because I haven't done anything with them in ages. Nobody at my LGS plays it, sadface. :saddowns:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My last Strelkovy platoon is back-ordered and it's maddening!

My buddy is coming over for the Super Bowl and I wanted to at least have them all assembled before he got there so he could see just what kind of horde he's up against.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Anyone know some good painting tutorials for US Armour for FoW?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

No Pun Intended posted:

Here's one I'm kinda fond of

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got the two blisters I ordered from Quick Reaction Force today, Carthaginian infantry command and Numidian light cavalry to finish off my FoG army. The Numidians were nice and all, but the foot infantry were huge! They might even rival Xyston in the biggest 15mm miniatures I've seen. But I ended up getting a lion handler with a lion and a mohawk, so maybe I shouldn't complain. Except from the gigantism they were nicely detailed sculpts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

Not a tutorial as such, but this is my 10mm US armour division.

I basically used Vallejo Brown Violet, which was drybrushed up with Foundry Moss Shade and Foundry Moss highlight, then washed with devlan mud and then a very light drybrush of the moss highlight again.

http://serotonins.blogspot.com/search/label/Americans

Click here for the full 1200x564 image.