Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
How was it explained that Taker went from big evil deadman to biker? I had stopped watching by this point. I remember flipping over to some show and seeing Taker on a bike and I thought it was the dumbest poo poo ever at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I didn't really notice the change, it was so darn subtle.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

joshtothemaxx posted:

How was it explained that Taker went from big evil deadman to biker? I had stopped watching by this point. I remember flipping over to some show and seeing Taker on a bike and I thought it was the dumbest poo poo ever at the time.

I think you'll find that the dumbest poo poo ever was in fact Jim Ross trying to get "Booger Red" over as a nickname for the Undertaker. Apparently in the South it is a slang term for the devil. Unfortunately in the rest of the world it sounds like your snot after a nosebleed.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Goofy half-mask Kane was great. I'm not sure exactly when it was that he returned with the new mask, but I remember him coming out to help Booker T and Goldust(?) just before the Un-Americans burned the flag, and after everyone cleared house he did the Kane-a-Roonie. That poo poo was fantastic.

I also loved how many different tag teams he was thrown into around '02-'03 that were all outstanding. He was great with the Hurricane, RVD, and Booker T respectively.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

joshtothemaxx posted:

He came back on a bike after nearly a year out during Judgement Day 2000 - The Rock/HHH Iron Man Match.

It was a great return - one of the loudest pops of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgMu2lXsas

The vignettes building up to the return were old school Undertaker though, with three little girls singing spooky rhymes and arena lights randomly going out.

Initially he wore a long black trenchcoat for a few weeks but gradually he transitioned to denim shirt and black jeans. He explained that he did that so the change wouldn't be so jarring.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I don't know where this would go on the forum but it has GOT to be shared.

For those of you that don't know, Jimmy Valiant is an insane shell of a man now.

But. That doesn't mean he can't make comics.

http://jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/comics.html

There are no words.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

I don't know where this would go on the forum but it has GOT to be shared.

For those of you that don't know, Jimmy Valiant is an insane shell of a man now.

But. That doesn't mean he can't make comics.

http://jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/comics.html

There are no words.

This deserves a thread of its own.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Supreme Allah posted:

He came back on a bike after nearly a year out during Judgement Day 2000 - The Rock/HHH Iron Man Match.

It was a great return - one of the loudest pops of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgMu2lXsas

The vignettes building up to the return were old school Undertaker though, with three little girls singing spooky rhymes and arena lights randomly going out.

Initially he wore a long black trenchcoat for a few weeks but gradually he transitioned to denim shirt and black jeans. He explained that he did that so the change wouldn't be so jarring.
Yeah, and it pissed me off. I had just started watching WWF in January 2000 and was stoked to see The 'Dead Man' Undertaker and do all of his evil stuff he was doing. I had no internet back then and had no idea he was set to return at Judgement Day. The Raw after that judgement day he came back on that motorcycle and I was pretty irritated.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

I'm pretty sure that Kane was supposed to be brainwashed into thinking he was hideously scarred. In the interview where he set JR on fire, he told JR that he sounded just like those doctors, who said my scars were only superficial. They never outright said Paul Bearer was behind it, but it's a logical assumption to make.

I always took that as Kane was just insane and honestly believed he was scarred, not that Bearer brainwashed him (about THAT particular fact, anyway).

But it's Kane, the explanation is pretty much,"I'm Kane," and that's about as good as it will ever get.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
What's the over/under for edge returning in the Royal Rumble tonight?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

maniacripper posted:

That's not how over/under works.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

maniacripper posted:

Over/Under: I think there is a 80% chance Edge returns tonight.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Hockles posted:

Over/Under: I think there is a 80% chance Edge returns tonight.

93%

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

The over/under is 2. I am taking the over as I think edge will return 3 times in the Rumble.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

MassRayPer posted:

The over/under is 2. I am taking the over as I think edge will return 3 times in the Rumble.

He's getting La Familia back together? Yay! :neckbeard:

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

maniacripper posted:

100%.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I said you forgot your SCISSORS!

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

LightsGameraAction posted:

I kind of figured there was a practical reason behind the half-mask. I just figured it was because the original was uncomfortable as poo poo to wear.

And yea, he looked really ridiculous when they unmasked him. He was supposed to be horribly scarred and burnt (although how they were planning to perpetuate this with his mask off I don't know) but he looked like Curly from the 3 Stooges put on an afro wig then became a victim of an exploding cigar gag.

I remember an interview several years back where Kane talked about how much the original mask sucked, and he could barely draw breath and it (and consequently, his head) always smelled like sweat and death, and how he had to try for a long long time to talk the powers that be into letting him have the smaller mask so he could breathe during matches.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Brickhouse Betty posted:

I remember an interview several years back where Kane talked about how much the original mask sucked, and he could barely draw breath and it (and consequently, his head) always smelled like sweat and death, and how he had to try for a long long time to talk the powers that be into letting him have the smaller mask so he could breathe during matches.

If the guy was having breathing problems, why would management be so against having him wear a smaller mask?

I've always wanted to know, what is a typical week like in a WWE wrestler's life? I know they have the televised shows and house shows (are they done in the same venue/night as televised shows?). How long does WWE spend in a town before moving to the next? How many matches would a wrestle take part in during that week? Any insight into that would be greatly appreciated.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

evale posted:

If the guy was having breathing problems, why would management be so against having him wear a smaller mask?

I've always wanted to know, what is a typical week like in a WWE wrestler's life? I know they have the televised shows and house shows (are they done in the same venue/night as televised shows?). How long does WWE spend in a town before moving to the next? How many matches would a wrestle take part in during that week? Any insight into that would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, let's say you are Kofi Kingston. Tonight you were on the Rumble PPV. Tomorrow you will drive to a town where Raw is somewhere in the South East. Tuesday you'll drive to a house show likely in the same area, or maybe fly to the next stint of shows in another part of the country. You'll probably work about 4-5 shows in a given week in different towns. In some rare cases you'll do two shows in the same town on back to back days. (When business is hot sometimes two shows on the same day in the same venue.)

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

evale posted:

Because we designed this look, and this is what you will wear. Now suck it up and get out there and do your job.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

MassRayPer posted:

Ok, let's say you are Kofi Kingston. Tonight you were on the Rumble PPV. Tomorrow you will drive to a town where Raw is somewhere in the South East. Tuesday you'll drive to a house show likely in the same area, or maybe fly to the next stint of shows in another part of the country. You'll probably work about 4-5 shows in a given week in different towns. In some rare cases you'll do two shows in the same town on back to back days. (When business is hot sometimes two shows on the same day in the same venue.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure the calendar is as follows:

Friday - House show
Saturday - House show
Sunday - House show
Monday - RAW/'day off' for SD (actually a likely travel day for that group)
Tuesday - SD/ECW, day off for Raw
Wednesday - Day off
Thursday - Day off, or traveling

evale
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Thanks for this. I'm guessing the wrestler's are given an itinerary and told to basically show up on time? Does WWE organize travel for their officials and crew? (I remember seeing Test sitting around with a bunch of referees in a bus once.)

And does the production truck/crew just go from tv show to tv show? Or do they have pyro/screens during house shows as well?

Sorry about the random questions, I've always been fascinated by the logistics.

ed:

AsInHowe posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure the calendar is as follows:

Friday - House show
Saturday - House show
Sunday - House show
Monday - RAW/'day off' for SD (actually a likely travel day for that group)
Tuesday - SD/ECW, day off for Raw
Wednesday - Day off
Thursday - Day off, or traveling

Thanks for this as well.

evale fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 1, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCWand ECW all handled the flights, rental cars and accommodations for their talent. TNA still does. WWE pays new guys like 50 grand a year, then makes them spend like, half of it on flights, cars and hotels. It's pretty hosed up.

Only top-tier guys like HHH, Batista, Undertaker and the like get their flight's booked for them.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

evale posted:

And does the production truck/crew just go from tv show to tv show? Or do they have pyro/screens during house shows as well?

There was no pyro or entrance videos at the house show that I went to last March.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Who is doing the Shooting Star Styles Clash in this video around 1:45ish?

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

WCWand ECW all handled the flights, rental cars and accommodations for their talent. TNA still does. WWE pays new guys like 50 grand a year, then makes them spend like, half of it on flights, cars and hotels. It's pretty hosed up.

Only top-tier guys like HHH, Batista, Undertaker and the like get their flight's booked for them.

WCW: Bankrupt, bought by WWE
ECW: Bankrupt, bought by WWE
TNA: Bankrupt, bought by WWE Sorry, jumped the gun. Not exactly a shining star on Panda Energy's books and they most certainly do NOT arrange everything for all their talent. Remember when the MCMG basically were told to cover it all themselves so TNA could hire Test? Or when TNA told Austin Aries he had to come to Orlando on a day's notice on his dime to do a TNA event (a time if there ever was one where TNA should have picked up the tab)?

I'm not saying booking hotel rooms and flights killed WCW and ECW, but this is dangerously close to the "well, if they were NICE" kind of thinking that runs contrary to every principle of capitalism and technique for running a successful business there is. If booking their own accommodations was such a financial burden, why would the WWE still be alive when others have opened and closed? I have never once heard any ex-WWE guys, fired or quit, complain about the fact that they had to pay their own way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm pretty sure a few plane tickets didn't bankrupt WCW and ECW, but that's just me.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I'm pretty sure a few plane tickets didn't bankrupt WCW and ECW, but that's just me.

Nope, not really:

I, in the above post you clearly didn't read, posted:

I'm not saying booking hotel rooms and flights killed WCW and ECW

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought WWE paid for plane tickets for distances that weren't realistically drivable (i.e. most PPVs)

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought WWE paid for plane tickets for distances that weren't realistically drivable (i.e. most PPVs)

I don't think anyone knows for sure. That infamous list of salaries and perks is dubious at best, too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

poo poo, those tickets sure didn't help. I heard WCW paid an exorbitant amount of money because they paid for all wrestler tickets, even if they were no plans at all to use them. So they had a staff of what, like 100 wrestlers or something? The big names and they seemingly had so many random jobbers it seemed like.

If they're flying like 100 people twice a week for TV shows, that's gonna be a small fortune after awhile.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

oldpainless posted:

poo poo, those tickets sure didn't help. I heard WCW paid an exorbitant amount of money because they paid for all wrestler tickets, even if they were no plans at all to use them. So they had a staff of what, like 100 wrestlers or something? The big names and they seemingly had so many random jobbers it seemed like.

If they're flying like 100 people twice a week for TV shows, that's gonna be a small fortune after awhile.

Not to mention the Nitro Girls and they probably paid extra to have the nWo guys transported separately from everyone else too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Free Market Gravy posted:

Nope, not really:
I didn't say anything and nothing happened. If you think something happened, you're a suspicious moron!

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

I didn't say anything and nothing happened. If you think something happened, you're a suspicious moron!

Oh, LividLiquid. Maybe someday you'll realize that the WWE isn't such a bad person. Sure, he has his faults, but who doesn't? And I hope you can stop pledging your love to WCW and TNA. You seem to know better anyway, but WCW's been dead for years and TNA doesn't deserve your adoration.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TNA doesn't get my adoration. If you check out the last two iMPACT! threads, you'll watch me melt down more than a couple times.

They do, however, get far more doe-eyed hope from this old sad bastard than they've ever earned. The high of 2005 to Russo's hiring in 2007 should've been entirely used up by now.

Why I haven't given up entirely yet is a mystery wrapped in an enigma smothered in secret sauce. It was the same with WCW. I was there until the very end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is Colt Cabana any good? I've never seen ROH but Ive read DVD reviews and all he ever seems to be in is these comedy matches. I know WWE had him for awhile but let him go and he went back to the indies. So did they let him go because they already had Santino going around filling the comedy wrestler role and when they asked him what else he could do he just sat there and went "..." or what?

Could he have been a serious wrestler in WWE? Because comedy wrestling is good, but if its all you can do then you are really gonna have your hands tied trying to move up.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Is Colt Cabana any good? I've never seen ROH but Ive read DVD reviews and all he ever seems to be in is these comedy matches. I know WWE had him for awhile but let him go and he went back to the indies. So did they let him go because they already had Santino going around filling the comedy wrestler role and when they asked him what else he could do he just sat there and went "..." or what?

Could he have been a serious wrestler in WWE? Because comedy wrestling is good, but if its all you can do then you are really gonna have your hands tied trying to move up.

From what I've seen of his stuff on youtube/etc., he's not incapable of having a serious match, but he seems to work comedy matches much, much better. He moves well and has decent psychology. He looks physically threatening, at least against people roughly his size. Yet, he just loves doing the flying rear end in a top hat and being silly—and that's okay by me.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

oldpainless posted:

He has a really fun technical wrestling style, and can be a good wrestler when he gets serious. He just doesn't get serious very often.

Who knows why he flopped in the WWE, since every promotion he went to (including OVW) he was quickly one of the most over people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

oldpainless posted:

Is Colt Cabana any good?

Yes. You should actually watch him wrestle.

The rest of your post is you being stupid because you haven't seen any Colt Cabana matches. Everyone can tell you a good Cabana comedy match, but the one that proved to me that he can work all-around was his Chicago Street Fight with Homicide, from... poo poo, some ROH show in Chicago.

If your question is "is this guy good?" and you immediately follow with "I haven't seen any of his matches" the only answer you deserve is "go watch some god drat matches and make-up your own mind".