Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Switched over to gear oil for the chain, since I couldn't find anywhere that sold the Teflon spray I was using before. Cheaper, and faster even! Smelled some burning oil yesterday, its probably flinging a little onto the exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

Switched over to gear oil for the chain, since I couldn't find anywhere that sold the Teflon spray I was using before. Cheaper, and faster even! Smelled some burning oil yesterday, its probably flinging a little onto the exhaust.

Don't be shy about wiping off as much excess as you can, the important part is it getting on to the O-rings.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We got snow Friday night, about 3 inches of wet heavy slush. Saturday evening it all froze. This morning I took the KDX around the neighborhood and yard. Was surprised with how much grip was available...lifted the front wheel cruising across the front field.

So now the neighbors really think I am insane and I had a blast. Didn't even go down once. Had the GoPro mounted in case I did but turns out the batteries were dead.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2010

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Recently became an expert at draining and removing the tank and airbox of my monster. :argh: I pulled the carbs last night and tore them down a bit, and still couldn't figure out what the gently caress. It was a little brown in the bowl i could get off, the heads of the screws on the other bowl stripped out. I cleaned the main jets then put it back together to try again, and it still won't fire. What the gently caress could suddenly go out like that and be causing the issues? Spark and compression are good, and I know gas is getting to the carbs because the float bowls were filling up. It's a god drat headache.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Got my Frame sanded. Next weekend I should be able to paint it. Also found out my Fuel cock is bad. Pulled it off the frame and recalled someone testing it by sucking, and seeing if you can get air flow. I get air when it's on prime and when the lever is between Reserve and On. Nothing if it's on either, just between it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

Recently became an expert at draining and removing the tank and airbox of my monster. :argh: I pulled the carbs last night and tore them down a bit, and still couldn't figure out what the gently caress. It was a little brown in the bowl i could get off, the heads of the screws on the other bowl stripped out. I cleaned the main jets then put it back together to try again, and it still won't fire. What the gently caress could suddenly go out like that and be causing the issues? Spark and compression are good, and I know gas is getting to the carbs because the float bowls were filling up. It's a god drat headache.

The pilot jets are what you should be looking at if it's not firing...

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to completely tear down the carbs, then. Do you really need to buy all new o-rings or is that kind of pointless?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

I'll have to completely tear down the carbs, then. Do you really need to buy all new o-rings or is that kind of pointless?

You shouldn't need new orings, although monsters may have moon carbs that eat o-rings.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
A carbed monster should have a mikuni cv carb that was the same that came in my supersport. Never read or discovered any problems with missing o-rings

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All the o-rings I looked at were fine. The haynes manual basically says to replace all of them, but screw that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finally got the exhaust on the Buell and buttoned it up. Who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to route an engine oil line through an exhaust mounting bracket, so that when you want to take the muffler off, you end up doing an oil change? Thank god the factory mounting bracket isn't re-used.
I've got a little exhaust leak where the head pipe meets the 90-degree bend that connects to the muffler, but a repositioning of the t-bolt clamp ought to fix that square away.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 1, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I put the stock exhaust back on the 690SMC.

More:
Weight
Heat
Low-end and midrange power

No More:
Stalling
Children covering their ears and crying
Old men angrily shaking their fists

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

Zool posted:

More:
Weight
Heat
Low-end and midrange power

No More:
Stalling
Children covering their ears and crying
Old men angrily shaking their fists

Con
Con
Pro

Pro
Con
Con

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
After washing claybaring my SV650 fairings in the shower a few nights ago :3: .... I finally decided to wax them as I sit in my chair watching Chuck.

If only my car was this easy to clean and wax.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zool posted:

What exhaust did you put on and did you get it re-mapped at the dealership?

If you didn't get it re-mapped, well that's most likely the problem. Get it re-mapped for a straight through pipe (the akra map should do even if it is not an akra exhaust).

If you re-mapped it and it was still having trouble, find a dealership with the new XC-1 diagnostic box and get them to up your CO load multiplier by .008 or .016 (no more). Might be an idea to get them to check APAD and THAD calibration too. This will let the bike run very slightly richer across the whole rev range which should stop your stalling as well as smoothing out the whole jerkiness of the idle-load transition when you crack the throttle open.

Another one to try is the old 15 minute reset cycle but this seems to only be a temporary fix as apparently the ECU re-learns all it's old habits after a time. This involves disconnecting the battery for 10sec, reconnecting, starting the motor, letting it run for 15min straight and turning the bike off, all without touching the throttle at any point in the whole process.

Thanks to KTMax of the UK KTM forums for much of this info!
http://www.ktmforum.co.uk - Actually a pretty well informed little forum.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

KTM knowledge bomb

I bought the bike last week, it came with a Leo Vince pipe installed and supposedly had the Akramap. I don't think there is anyway to verify that myself though, maybe I'll have the dealership look at when I take it in for the foggy gauge cluster.

I think I'll keep the stock pipe on because the straight through was a little too loud. I don't really need everyone within six blocks to know how far open the throttle is. :haw: I am interested in smoothing out the unloaded->loaded transition though. I couldn't possibly make it any worse!

Zool fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 2, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Workin on the F2.

I finally confirmed my rectifier/regulator is bad by figuring out how to work my dad's multimter and doing a diode test, sure enough, one of them is bad. New one comes in tommorow ( well technically today) hopefully that cures my current charging issues.

I took off the left side fairing, was kind of a pain in the rear end, I want to drain and flush the coolant though. I noticed a tiny oil leak coming out of the generator side case, it's only a few drops every day or so, so no biggie, I suspect it's the gasket possibly not sealed probably or maybe the previous owner reused it. I'll just open it up on the next oil change and swap it out, current oil looks brand new so no need yet.

I'm almost sorta regretting buying the bike, it needs a few little thing but then again i'm learning a lot about it, and learning how to use the multimeter functions is useful. But I don't know, the bike is just so drat FUN. I'm sure i'll get her good to go soon. At least I do'nt have to remove any pesky ROTORS, gently caress those things.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 3, 2010

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Wheeled it the last 200m to the garage :(

Cam chain tensioner was getting noisy since sunday night, decided to ride her down to the dealership this afternoon and it failed completely when I was only half way there. Sounded like a tin can in a 4 stroke washing machine. Now she's in the ER, ready for major surgery.

They lent me a 990 Super Duke, which I'm sure is a fine bike if you're into that sort of thing. But it just flat out sucks compared to the 690. It won't turn in right, the clutch lever is too heavy, the foot pegs aren't grippy enough, it's poo poo on bumpy roads (and we have all too many of those here) and I almost poo poo my pants when the rear wheel locked up on the downshift (I'm way too used to my slipper clutch).

I want my baby back :cry:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced it.

Then:

Now:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Put a tarp in it because it's cloudy as gently caress out. 1/4 mile visibility and rain :( THIS IS NOT SEATTLE DAMNIT.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
replaced the stupidly designed failed Honda Rectifier/Regulator on the Honda F2, was anticipating the UPS guy all day to bring the new one.

Shot of the old one:

God it was fuggered to hell, I noticed it when I bought it just covered in black tape, I didn't know what it was at the time until recently. did a diode test and one of them failed, so I was pretty sure this was the failed part. It takes the AC from the alternator and converts it to DC to the battery, also regulates the flow to the battery so it doesn't over/undercharge. Apparently the original Honda ones get really hot and are prone to fail and lack cooling.

Picture of the new one, much beefier, heavier duty feeling one, with cooling fins!

Started her back up and yay shes got 14.XX volts from measuring the battery when the engine is revved around 3-5k which is a good sign.

I took her out for a spin, picked up a replacement brake lever since the one that was on it was broken in half somehow, bike feels good as new.

I think i'm going to do a radiator flush tommorow. Oil looks new and can wait a while. I ordered a new battery too just in case, i'm not sure if I should swap it or not the current one seems fine.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Don't know what year your bike is, but I think lovely rectifiers were common on the early sportbikes. I know early FZRs had poo poo-rear end rectifiers as well, almost everyone replaced em with the later ones, often out of necessity. Apparently, nobody had thought up heatsinks in the late 80s.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
1993 Honda CBR F2, Picked it up on Friday posted pictures in the other thread. pretty awesome and fun bike, I don't regret buying it now that i've fixed it's problem of battery dying.

Got a call from the shop this morning about mt GS500 telling me that they retapped the crank and ordered a new rotor/starter clutch/gaskets etc. The bills isn't going to be pretty but I still miss it :( least it'll be good as new again when I get it back. From now on i'm not doing any rotor pulling ever again because I made things worse and more expensive than they needed to be, oh well lesson learned.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
Got it inspected. I went into the litle redneck inspection/parts store joint by my work, told them I needed an inspection, and was directed into the service bay. Gave the guy the registration, he scanned the barcode, and said "Does the horn work?" I honked the horn. He said "Is it safe to ride?"

I said "Yup.".

"OK." he said. Looking at his computer screen, he saw "007...KAWA...650...1CYL...GASO...MOTO" and said "That's only got one cylinder?"

"Yup." I said. "Not much power on the top, but it pulls like a tractor. That's what it's for."

"Cool." he said. "Now you have to wait 14 minutes."

14 minutes later the machine prined my paperwork, I paid him and left, and the computer told Raleigh I was good to go.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
690SMC update! Swapped the stock Pirelli Dragon Pros out for a set of Maxis supermoto dot rains. By my math that lowered the front end by 24mm, and the rear end by 27. So it should be slightly more stable I guess. For some reason it was all dry in Seattle tonight, so I didn't get to see how much better they do in the wet.

120/70 160/60 to 120/60 165/50 Who want's to check my math?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's pointless without measuring tires inflated. You'll get more variation than that between brands of the "same" size. The 160/60 is more of a generic "will fit rim size X" than an actual measurement.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

EvilDonald posted:

"Cool." he said. "Now you have to wait 14 minutes."

14 minutes later the machine printed my paperwork, I paid him and left, and the computer told Raleigh I was good to go.

They didn't even do that much when I had the ST inspected here in Texas. I pulled up, walked in, told the service writer I needed an inspection. I put my keys on the counter and handed him my insurance. I then walked up front to buy a new inspection sticker plate (to replace the ugly plastic one with the Honda dealer's name on it), and by the time I walked back to the service area 5 minutes later, he had my new sticker in his hand and put it on the plate for me. My keys hadn't even moved. I then mounted the plate to the ST and rode home.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

They went all electronic here in NC a couple of years ago, we don't get stickers anymore. There's a computer cart in the service bay that dials up a computer in Raleigh and tells the DMV if you pass or fail. There's a 14 minute delay built into it in an effort to stop mechanics from passing the vehicle without inspecting it, but everyone just tells you to wait on the machine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure here in VA it's both electronic AND we get a sticker. That said, since anywhere that inspects cars has to inspect motorcycles and they're legally not allowed to charge more than $12, inspections are basically a horn and light check. Unless you take it to an actual motorcycle shop where they'll find *something* wrong with it to make you pay to fix.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Took the Ninja 500 in Cycle Stop here in Rochester yesterday for a new rear tire yesterday, a Sport Demon. I've been riding on a bald Sport Demon since Nov/Dec, and I lasted this long while riding whenever I could. I got it back with the clutch cable lubed up and the chain cleaned up. There's a definite difference with clutching in, and I'm quite happy.

Click here for the full 604x531 image.

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006
I changed the two front blinkers on my strom to smaller affairs. added a centerstand, and some barkbusters. Was a fun morning in the garage. went for a 200 mile ride (60 degree clear blue sky here in texas), the first left turn the left indicator stopped working. the 2nd right turn the right indicator stopped working.

That's what i get for trying the lovely cheap jobs from the local cyclegear. LED's are next.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Installed a hand clutch in addition to the foot clutch so that I don't look like an rear end stalling on hills 20 times in a row now. Ghetto-fab'd a cable holder out of a tin can folded over itself a couple times. :whatup:

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Bought a project (modified 86 Katana :can: ) that I rode last season and have done these over the winter; some by me, some my mechanic:

valve cover gasket
valve cover bolt seals
oil and filter
all 4 plugs
engine bolts
jet kit
choke lever assembly
plug cap
set valve clearances
clean air filters
dyno to set it all together

Can't wait to get riding!

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

StonedogJones posted:

That's what i get for trying the lovely cheap jobs from the local cyclegear. LED's are next.

Don't buy cheap LED lights. Cheap incandescents are better than cheap LEDs. It's not a problem with the LEDs themselves, it's the driver boards. They quit, and the lights don't light up. Look at truck taillights for a while, you'll notice that a lot of the LED ones have some or most of the LEDs not working. Truck stuff is almost universally cheap garbage, and as such it's a good indicator.

If you can find good LED lights go for it, but don't skimp on them.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Took the Ninja 500 in Cycle Stop here in Rochester yesterday for a new rear tire yesterday, a Sport Demon. I've been riding on a bald Sport Demon since Nov/Dec, and I lasted this long while riding whenever I could. I got it back with the clutch cable lubed up and the chain cleaned up. There's a definite difference with clutching in, and I'm quite happy.

Click here for the full 604x531 image.

Where is that on campus? Its been almost two years since I was last there, but the windows look really familiar. Right near the quarter mile bridge?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Bought some Seafoam, a couple 1gal containers of gasoline, a *good* tire pressure gauge, a cheapie stick gauge to throw in the tank bag, and a 12v portable air compressor/flashlight. Gonna use all of that this evening, if it warms up enough.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

new headlight and trailtech vapor for my girlfriend's KLX400

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Armacham posted:

new headlight and trailtech vapor for my girlfriend's KLX400

Good computer, I would have gone with the Trail Tech headlight as well though.

http://trailtech.net/x2.html

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Zool posted:

Good computer, I would have gone with the Trail Tech headlight as well though.

http://trailtech.net/x2.html

those are pretty sweet, i'll send them to my gf for when sh crashes and breaks this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

sirbeefalot posted:

Where is that on campus? Its been almost two years since I was last there, but the windows look really familiar. Right near the quarter mile bridge?

Yup. I was picking up me girl from the SHC. Looks like you really etched the minuscule details of that stretch into your mind with your kazillion trudges on it, eh?