Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

VirtualReality posted:

Before the concert I went to they had Gaga in commercials for a charity for homeless GLBT youths, encouraging people to donate or volunteer, and that she'd match any donation that day. Apparently some volunteers got VIP packages or something.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that part too, and I even donated to it! Virgin was involved in that charity, so props to them!

Edit: But then again Crows was asking about marriage equality, not GLBT issues in general.

Diamonds On MY Fish fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Judakel posted:

The Grammys have their finger on the pulse of America. You know nothing.

I know this post is a joke but I do find it genuinely hilarious that the Grammys couldn't nominate a new artist for Best New Artist if their lives depended on it.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

wowww

:allears:

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Yeah, that's the one

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think the reason I like Gaga is because it's pretty well known that a few years ago she was basically another attractive girl at a piano, and the avant garde thing is deliberately a gimmick done in order to get her noticed. And if you want to really believe, maybe a social commentary on the nature of the celebrity complex itself.

I'm hoping she's one of these artists that go through phases over the years and once she's felt that she's clearly established for the long haul we'll eventually get to see the actual person under all that glamour again.

Humanist Manifesto
Feb 18, 2009

Death To No One.
Peace Be Unto All.
I cannot believe how much Lady Gaga and Beyonce (well they both won some) got robbed by loving Taylor Swift. I just cannot believe it. When are they going to stop giving her undeserved awards?

As a mega-fan of both Gaga and B, seriously, gently caress Taylor Swift.

On a lighter note, I REALLY REALLY want a studio version of the Elton/Gaga duet.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Humanist Manifesto posted:

I cannot believe how much Lady Gaga and Beyonce (well they both won some) got robbed by loving Taylor Swift. I just cannot believe it. When are they going to stop giving her undeserved awards?

As a mega-fan of both Gaga and B, seriously, gently caress Taylor Swift.

On a lighter note, I REALLY REALLY want a studio version of the Elton/Gaga duet.

It was said above, she won because she's the safe choice. She's basically the epitome of safe and bland music for white people and it's loving stupid. I missed her performing alongside Stevie Nicks but I can definitely understand people saying Stevie probably wasn't too into it given she's a bit old to be singing songs about liking the quarterback of the football team and making out under bleachers.

I hate Taylor Swift with every fiber of my music-loving being.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

It was said above, she won because she's the safe choice. She's basically the epitome of safe and bland music for white people and it's loving stupid. I missed her performing alongside Stevie Nicks but I can definitely understand people saying Stevie probably wasn't too into it given she's a bit old to be singing songs about liking the quarterback of the football team and making out under bleachers.

I hate Taylor Swift with every fiber of my music-loving being.

That wasn't even the worst part of the performance, she was singing so horribly off key that I thought I was watching an American Idol audition.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

weekly font posted:

I know this post is a joke but I do find it genuinely hilarious that the Grammys couldn't nominate a new artist for Best New Artist if their lives depended on it.

It's definitely because instead of being used to promote up and coming bands, they're treating it like slapping a "THROW MONEY HERE" sign on a recently acquired major label band.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Skittle Wood posted:

It's definitely because instead of being used to promote up and coming bands, they're treating it like slapping a "THROW MONEY HERE" sign on a recently acquired major label band.

What in the gently caress is their criteria for Best New Artist nominees? I thought I was going crazy when I heard Silversun Pickups being nominated this year, but I looked it up and they were.

Their first album came out in 2005, and they had a pretty successful album with a couple of songs that charted in 2007 :psyduck:

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
Additionally, I think MGMT were nominated for the best new artist category for an album that came out in 2007.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
When I first got the album I didn't pay much attention to Speechless, partly cos it's the most different track on the album, but mainly cos that "wowooowooowaaaa" opening reminds me of Aerosmith's bought-in ballads from the embarassing half of their career.

But it's really grown on me and I think it's one of my favourite tracks of hers now. I particularly love the way the verse runs into the second chorus, it makes me draw a breath every time.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

HauntedRobot posted:

But it's really grown on me and I think it's one of my favourite tracks of hers now. I particularly love the way the verse runs into the second chorus, it makes me draw a breath every time.

It reminds me of Motley Crue, and I'm sure that's not unintentional. The way she pronounces the first lines, "I can't believe what you said to me, last night we were alone" - especially the 'what you said to me' part - are very reminiscent of how Vince Niel sings in their ballad, Home Sweet Home (skip to 1:30 for actual song). gently caress, the entire song is similar, especially in the slower-paced version they do live. It's hard not to spot her hair metal roots in it.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Crowbear posted:

What in the gently caress is their criteria for Best New Artist nominees? I thought I was going crazy when I heard Silversun Pickups being nominated this year, but I looked it up and they were.

Their first album came out in 2005, and they had a pretty successful album with a couple of songs that charted in 2007 :psyduck:

Watching that award I thought I was going crazy, I was certain that The Ting Tings and MGMT have been around for much longer, and "Lazy Eye" has been on the radio for quite a while.
Wouldn't Gaga qualify as a new artist then?

At that rate I'm surprised Kings of Leon wasn't nominated for best new artist. They're new to us!:downs:

akrob
Sep 5, 2009

by T. Finn
Somethingawful Cesspool located
Action:ignore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

akrob posted:

Somethingawful Cesspool located
Action:ignore
Finally! Now that he's gone, let's talk about REAL music.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I really don't get how anyone could realistically pick Taylor Swift over Lady Gaga for anything. Lady Gaga's pretty much got it all as far as pop music goes.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Norse Code posted:

gaga looking amazing

I would wreck her. Holy sweet jesus. Also, that duet was absolutely fantastic, I really hope it gets released as an MP3 or something, I want to listen to it nonstop.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Norse Code posted:

wowww

That's one of the best pictures I've ever seen of her.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

I'm gonna have to agree with everyone, the Gaga/Elton John opening act at the Grammy's was fantastic and I really hope the release an mp3 at some point. I was just watching the video, you can tell she's totally jazzed to be there. She's got a big stupid grin on her face through most of the duet. :3:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Norse Code posted:

wowww

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

I also like how they guys in the background react - the guy on the left is looking worried, the guy next to him is sad/confused, the guy behind them is WOW HOLY poo poo, the black guy is REALLY INTENSE and the guy next to hiAAGH my EYE.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

According to Gagadaily's Twitter, Lady Gaga is performing Telephone POSSIBLY with Beyonce at the Brit Awards on the 16th this month. They also said the video for Telephone will be out by the end of the month and according to Gaga,it's the best and craziest video she has made thus far.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Elton John was dressed pretty awesome last night himself.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

iTunes has the performance up in mp3 format!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

iTunes has the performance up in mp3 format!
Not on UK iTunes it isn't.

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ladygaga.asp

Not that any of us had any doubt, but I guess it's officially debunked now.

smakker
May 6, 2003

Dankbutts, better than Tinychat! :420:

Norse Code posted:

all that makeup and hair makes her look just like heidi montag. ahaha.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Elton John was dressed pretty awesome last night himself.

Nice gyroscope earring there.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

I was just browsing the tshirts listed in the shop, and the tshirts from the Alejandro and Dance In The Dark both include the words "single" in the descriptive text. Does this mean Monster and Teeth won't be singles and get videos? :(

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
http://twitpic.com/11firi

"beautiful photo taken of me the moment I found out i won my grammys. All the hundreds of songs I wrote, the thousands of shows, the fans, all the blood and tears flashing instantly. photo by haus member the famous "Dada" Williams"

I thought it was cute, anyway

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
New radio interview up on Gagadaily.

http://gagadaily.com/

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Final Fart Buttball posted:

http://twitpic.com/11firi

"beautiful photo taken of me the moment I found out i won my grammys. All the hundreds of songs I wrote, the thousands of shows, the fans, all the blood and tears flashing instantly. photo by haus member the famous "Dada" Williams"

I thought it was cute, anyway

I like the picture, but geez.. some of the comments.

quote:

You need to know that you deserve this more than ANYONE in this entire world. You deserve the world, because you have given so much inspiration to so many people that have needed it for so long. Words can't express how wonderful you are :) Thank you, so d

Same chick posted:

You are the most amazing human being on this planet, have the most drive and talent I have EVER seen in ANY person, and you are a true, true artist. You make me want to be a better person everyday of my life, and for that I am forever thankful. You are tr

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Teeth is still censored on the iTunes US uncensored version.

:ughh:

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Whoa, what the hell, I just bought Fame Monster on iTunes and the version of Alejandro on this is completely different than the one I've been listening to for 3 months.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The Remote Viewer posted:

Whoa, what the hell, I just bought Fame Monster on iTunes and the version of Alejandro on this is completely different than the one I've been listening to for 3 months.

How so?

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

How so?
The iTunes version is slower and there's a lot of synth I've never heard before.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Remote Viewer posted:

The iTunes version is slower and there's a lot of synth I've never heard before.
So you've only been listening to the demo version for the past while?

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Blodskur posted:

So you've only been listening to the demo version for the past while?

Apparently so.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

probably been posted already, but i came across these today:

from here:
http://hapsical.blogspot.com/2010/01/style-snippets-lady-gaga-barbie-mens.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I hate whoever suggested Monster is about date rape. That's all I can hear now, and it's turned a fun song about a bad boy into something much darker.

• Locked thread