Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Are Liz and Sally your representative lesbians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Vladimir Putin posted:

Are Liz and Sally your representative lesbians?

hahaha

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
I thought it was Eve and Bernice?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mat_Drinks posted:

Driving a neon beater in the past I was once convinced I sucked up water because of heavy rain only to realize the puddle I hit had just healthily doused the engine bay. Once everything dried off it was back to running like a champ. Well, as much of a champ as a Neon can be.

Yeah, it's fine now. The shop thinks it was either so little water that the engine sorted itself out or that maybe it just made the MAF read weird and run so rich that it stalled and misfired. Regardless, no new CEL, no hiccups, and everything seems fine. Spark plugs were fine as well.

I am definitely getting a stock airbox off NASIOC or something though. That was a close call, and I'm sick of this CAI poo poo, especially if I ever get around to lowering the wrx an inch or so for autocross.

At least it didn't cost me much and it gives me a little more faith in my shop to bring in a car expecting a lot of work and big bill and then having them say it doesn't need anything.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 25, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
there was a big evo meet yesterday that I went to. Pulling into the parking lot to set up our vendor area I got a lot of nasty looks and even heard someone yell "get the gently caress out of here." It was pretty funny.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jamal posted:

there was a big evo meet yesterday that I went to. Pulling into the parking lot to set up our vendor area I got a lot of nasty looks and even heard someone yell "get the gently caress out of here." It was pretty funny.

lol, wow... what, do they feel threatened?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so apparently the Falken Ziex-912 tires that I was supposed to be getting are on back order for several weeks and I don't think I'm comfortable driving around on a donut for another 3 weeks.

The alternative's that my friend was able to find are Yokohama V4S' or Goodrich G-Force Super Sport AS.

Anyone have any experience with either of these two? Both are at a significant discount if I order through him which is the only reason I'm not just rushing out to get Bridgestone RE960's.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

MMD3 posted:

so apparently the Falken Ziex-912 tires that I was supposed to be getting are on back order for several weeks and I don't think I'm comfortable driving around on a donut for another 3 weeks.

The alternative's that my friend was able to find are Yokohama V4S' or Goodrich G-Force Super Sport AS.

Anyone have any experience with either of these two? Both are at a significant discount if I order through him which is the only reason I'm not just rushing out to get Bridgestone RE960's.

I put those BF Goodrich tires on my wife's car. They are pretty drat good tires in the snow. In December we had 3 feet plus of snow (in a couple weeks) and then ice in January. They didn't perform anywhere near as well as my snow tires, but they do a good job in deep snow, ice, and slush. I never felt in danger or out of control with those tires. We put them on in the fall and they felt great in the dry and wet. While the car is an '08 Passat Wagon, they performed extremely well and were pretty quiet. I suspect they have relatively soft sidewalls as the car rode much smoother.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I'm only making about 8-10PSI on my 05 LGT which until recently was making about 16 psi. I guess I'm thinking boost leak but where? Obviously the intercooler, but what else.
Could the BPV do this?
It seems to spool like normal except it just stops building up at about .7 bar. No codes at all. However, I do have a minor piston ring failure. I don't think I have a vacuum leak.

edit: fixed. Reset the tune, works perfect.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 27, 2010

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
:( :( :(

insult to injury, not only do I need all new tires 14 months after getting new ones, it looks like my ditch-trippin' resulted in a bent strut knuckle as well... no wonder my alignment was so far off. I probably should have taken it in sooner but to be honest it seemed to be driving alright this whole time.

Can anyone tell me if I can pick up a Subaru strut knuckle and/or strut for my 9-2x aero? I'm wondering if I can buy used for the knuckle and just get a new strut... I'm looking at $425 for parts and labor for the knuckle and strut for OEM and that's on top of just paying ~450 for new tires. This is turning out to be a painful month.

I'm wondering if this didn't have something to do with their unconventional tow-method of looping my actual wheels to pull my car out sideways... loving sigh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
(my) first oil change
I let the dealership change my oil the first time (free, yay), and now it's my turn – I will be using ramps to get in under my car, is that advisable?

Also, I was trying to figure out what tools I need and is the following list complete?

1) Oil filter wrench
2) 17mm wrench/socket for oil plug
3) Oil catcher
4) 12mm socket for splash guard bolts
5) oil, etc.

2 last questions –
Rotella 5W-30? And...should I invest in a torque wrench for screwing back the oil plug
Thanks.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Which is why I had no problem getting out of the Evo crowd. The Mitsubishi fanboys were very cool and down to earth when it was just DSMs, but once the Evo came out everyone grew an ego and became instant assholes. I've met more Subaru guys on the road just waving and talking at stoplights in the past 3 months that I've owned my STi than I have since buying an Evo 8 in 2003. So far the Suby fanboys have been great. I'm very happy with the switch.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

MMD3 posted:

:( :( :(

insult to injury, not only do I need all new tires 14 months after getting new ones, it looks like my ditch-trippin' resulted in a bent strut knuckle as well... no wonder my alignment was so far off. I probably should have taken it in sooner but to be honest it seemed to be driving alright this whole time.

Can anyone tell me if I can pick up a Subaru strut knuckle and/or strut for my 9-2x aero? I'm wondering if I can buy used for the knuckle and just get a new strut... I'm looking at $425 for parts and labor for the knuckle and strut for OEM and that's on top of just paying ~450 for new tires. This is turning out to be a painful month.

I'm wondering if this didn't have something to do with their unconventional tow-method of looping my actual wheels to pull my car out sideways... loving sigh.

As far as I know that stuff interchanges. Jamal, Kimbo?

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?

Just Another XY posted:

Rotella 5W-30? And...should I invest in a torque wrench for screwing back the oil plug
Thanks.

I've only ever tightened oil plugs a little more then hand tight, you probably don't need a torque wrench :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ab0z posted:

As far as I know that stuff interchanges. Jamal, Kimbo?

yeah, someone on the saab92x board told me they're interchangeable with 04-07 impreza's... thankfully my friend just found me an entire rear left assembly off of a saab 92x for $165... much better than paying for all of the pieces new.

teh bux
Nov 5, 2008
Hi AI, just joined the AWD fanboy club
2000 STM 2.5RS

66k miles, stock :parrot:

Used to have an s13 (yeah, i know) all tokyo dorifutod out. Don't worry, the Subaru will remain mostly stock. Anyone know where to score cheap Yakima/Thule roof racks or do I just keep an eye out on craigslist?

ub818
Feb 19, 2003
Yuv goat tae huv a go!

Just Another XY posted:

(my) first oil change
I let the dealership change my oil the first time (free, yay), and now it's my turn – I will be using ramps to get in under my car, is that advisable?

Also, I was trying to figure out what tools I need and is the following list complete?

1) Oil filter wrench
2) 17mm wrench/socket for oil plug
3) Oil catcher
4) 12mm socket for splash guard bolts
5) oil, etc.

2 last questions –
Thanks.
I use ramps when I don't have to do tire rotation. So, I'm not advising it, I'm just saying that I do it.
I would suggest getting the crush washer for the oil plug. Some people reuse the same one over and over, but if you can get some just replace it. They are cheap anyways.

You don't *need* a torque wrench but if you are ham fisted, then go to harbor freight and get one. Some people just don't know how much or little effort it takes to tighten it.

Getting the splash guard off is easy, but if you are under the splash guard and you are under the car, you'll curse because its awkward. You'll see what I mean if you take it off like everyone does their first time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Hey, if anyone's looking to get an older subaru, we'll have a 98 outback with a 5-speed for sale soon with a freshly rebuilt engine. I don't expect we'll want more than $5k or so for it. Located in torrance, ca.

zephyrthebreeze
Dec 30, 2006
sine qua non
I know this is just anoter 'WRX or STi :can:,' but I'd like a little input.

I've been searching around, wanting to join the Subaru club for a while. Initially was wanting an STi, but didn't have the funds available when I first started shopping to put a decent down payment on an STi. Now that I have some money banked away, every dealership around is telling me "give us a down payment first, and then we might have you one in 6 months." Whereas I could have a WRX (hatch or sedan, there's both on a lot about an hour away) within a few days whenever I can get a chance to ride down there.

I guess the big question is how big of a difference in a weekend driver the STi goodies make up? I never plan on tracking it or taking it to a strip, I'm just wanting a fun weekend car. I'd plan on a few aftermarket mods anyway, fuel pump, injectors, catback, ALK, sway bars, maybe a FMIC, installed and tuned all at once by a local Subaru specialty shop (Boxer4Racing) anyway. Do the STi transmission, diffs, etc make that much of a difference for a car that might get driven 6-8 days a month?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

zephyrthebreeze posted:

I know this is just anoter 'WRX or STi :can:,' but I'd like a little input.

I've been searching around, wanting to join the Subaru club for a while. Initially was wanting an STi, but didn't have the funds available when I first started shopping to put a decent down payment on an STi. Now that I have some money banked away, every dealership around is telling me "give us a down payment first, and then we might have you one in 6 months." Whereas I could have a WRX (hatch or sedan, there's both on a lot about an hour away) within a few days whenever I can get a chance to ride down there.

I guess the big question is how big of a difference in a weekend driver the STi goodies make up? I never plan on tracking it or taking it to a strip, I'm just wanting a fun weekend car. I'd plan on a few aftermarket mods anyway, fuel pump, injectors, catback, ALK, sway bars, maybe a FMIC, installed and tuned all at once by a local Subaru specialty shop (Boxer4Racing) anyway. Do the STi transmission, diffs, etc make that much of a difference for a car that might get driven 6-8 days a month?

I've owned a WRX and own an 08 STI now... It's honestly a joy every time I drive it. I haven't even really modified it beyond wheels, tires, and an air filter and it's still an absolute hoot.

That said, the mods that you're talking about sound a little serious and if you're looking at a new one they'll probably void warranties (FMIC, injectors, fuel pump) and doing anything remotely risky on an STI can be much more expensive than a WRX. But then, that's obvious.

I don't know... there are people that will rant all day about how good of a deal the WRX is, how it's just as good as the STI, and yadda yadda, but getting everything you get with the STI out of the box is pretty awesome. I think it was worth it for me, but I also got a deal on mine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you can afford it, just the STI transmission/diffs are a hell of a lot better than those found on a WRX. Launch control without breaking poo poo? Yes, please.

edit: So yesterday I swapped out my stock 03 WRX sway bars for Whietlines as well as doing some other maintenance like replacing a torn up plastic underbody part, cleaning air filter, replacing a bunch of plastic pins that had broken, etc.

The difference is night and day. I'd read over and over that new sway bars, apart from tires, is your best bang for buck handling upgrade on a WRX but I did not expect it to instantly be soo much flatter. Now it's time to be careful for a while so I don't get tailhappy into a wall/house/children/car.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 1, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Did you just do the 22mm bars or something bigger?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
22mm up front and the 22mm adjustable in the rear, which I have set to "medium." I also put on reinforced end links on the rear.

The rest of the suspension is stock, and it's my daily driver, so I'm not trying to go crazy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have 22mm bars and would probably have gone with 24mm if they were available for my car.

For on-road/track performance these cars need a lot of swaybar due to the crappy camber curve, and a lot of rear swaybar due to the fact that it's a front heavy awd car.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've decided I really, really want another Subaru. I had a '97 Legacy GT Limited, cherry red baby. It ran really well...for the most part. I had it for less than two and a half years. The check engine light kept coming on, though, for mis-firing cylinders. At first it was #2, and I just had all the spark plugs and wires replaced after it had the same error code three times after being reset. Ran fine, then it came on again for misfiring, this time cylinder 1. Had it reset, then came on again for #2 again! But other than that it was reliable and had no other problems.

But before I could look into the underlying problem of the engine, I was rear-ended by an F-350 and it was totaled. :gonk:

Anyway, I need to drop my current POS like a bad habit ('99 Passat...to this day I don't know why I ever bought it...)

I've been searching craigslist and local used dealers websites like a fiend, and coming up fairly empty. A lot of people here hang on to their Subarus till they or the car dies (if you've never been to VT, you should take a look around if you have a chance to get up here. SOOO MANY Subarus.)

The ones I do find are either not the years I want (I want a late 90's...mostly cause that's what I can afford,) or they're automatic, or I can tell they were owned by some punk kid who probably did half-assed lovely mods and beat it to hell while "totally rallying" on some backwoods road.

Then I found this guy and got to thinking,
"Well...that might be a good car if the transmision damage isn't too bad and doesn't cost too much to fix."

The KBB value is about $3000 for the regular GT, and $3500 for the Limited (I can't tell from the picture if it's the Limited or not...I hope it is.) So I figure if it IS the Limited, and it would cost about $1000 to fix, then it would be about the right price.

But them I remembered I'm not that car savvy, so I figured if anyone knew if I should look further into obtaning this automobile, it would be you dykes.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Not for $2500. Blown trans, 175,000 miles, probably about $1k for a used Subaru 5 speed, I figure it's not worth more than $1500 at most.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well I sent the guy an email asking if the transmission is completely shot, as in, the car won't go anywhere, or if it still runs just not very well and will "merely" poo poo the bed soon.

Whether that makes much of a difference, I don't know. I also asked if he got an estimate.

I've even expanded my search to parts of western NY and NH. Time to give up and just get a regular Legacy, I guess. :saddowns:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
If you can swing it, I'd try a bit further south. My concerns is that up here something that old could potentially be a rust bucket with pretty panels on the outside.

DC is a 9 or 10 hour drive from here depending on how crazy you are, and I'm sure there would be people around here willing to check out a car that you could potentially get a better deal on for a cheap flight down.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

If you can swing it, I'd try a bit further south. My concerns is that up here something that old could potentially be a rust bucket with pretty panels on the outside.

DC is a 9 or 10 hour drive from here depending on how crazy you are, and I'm sure there would be people around here willing to check out a car that you could potentially get a better deal on for a cheap flight down.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that.I can get a one way to DC for...less than $200, it seems...and that's a weekend, no less.

I emailed the craigslist guy a lowball offer of $1500. I went to HS with a guy who's father owns a used Subaru dealership/shop, and I've bought two cars there myself, and my brother has bought two, so we get a bit of a deal on labor, so if he accepts the $1500 I'll just do that. (And yes, I've looked in his inventory, and there's nothing I'm interested in.)

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Do Outbacks with a lift on them look silly or not?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Iron Squid posted:

Like an extra lift?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Iron Squid posted:

Do Outbacks with a lift on them look awesome or not?

As long as it positively affects the handling/performance for what you want to use it for, yes.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Iron Squid posted:

Do you mean like this?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The old GL wagons look awesome with a lift so I can only assume a newer wagon would also look awesome.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so, all new tires, new rear driver's side strut assembly (thanks to a bent strut knuckle?) and alignment... car's driving great, but the steering wheel is still tilted when driving straight. I always assumed this would be fixed with the alignment since it used to pull left. Now it doesn't pull left but the steering wheel is still turned a few degrees left when I'm driving straight.

How would I go about fixing this if it's not an alignment issue?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure it is an alignment issue, but I've had a lot of trouble finding shops that will fix it right.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

CharlesM posted:

I'm pretty sure it is an alignment issue, but I've had a lot of trouble finding shops that will fix it right.

Wouldn't the solution be to thread the outer tie rod IN farther on the left side and OUT by an equal amount on the right side?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My steering wheel has never been centered from mile one.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlesM posted:

so it's not something I should have expected would be fixed with an alignment job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My stupid steering wheel was dead center and then I got an alignment and its off to the left enough to bother me now. I'd complain but they nailed the numbers on the alignment and the car feels great.