Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Apple's RAW camera support is pretty much on par with Adobe and I'm sure it will continue to be. They have to be on the ball with that stuff considering Aperture is in direction competition with LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Sorry if I missed this, but this there a general, dorkroom recommended online/offline place to do large prints? like 11x14 to a few feet.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

DaNzA posted:

Sorry if I missed this, but this there a general, dorkroom recommended online/offline place to do large prints? like 11x14 to a few feet.
MPix.com is the bee's knees. If you don't need something that nice, Costco (at least the one near me) does prints up to 20x30 for $8.95 or something like that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DaNzA posted:

shortrunposters.com does 18x24's for $2 a pop. There's a flat $10 shipping fee on orders, so makes sense to do multiple prints at a time. I recommend the $2 extra for gloss finish, the regular is pretty flat. They also put a logo on the back, which you can opt out of for another $2, but it hardly seems worth the extra hassle. Pleasantly surprised at the quality.

edit: here's my order laid out on the floor

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 30, 2010

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What's the difference between changing my AE/AF Lock button on my D80 to have it focus when pressed to just switching my camera from AF to manual focus after I set my focus?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ziir posted:

What's the difference between changing my AE/AF Lock button on my D80 to have it focus when pressed to just switching my camera from AF to manual focus after I set my focus?

one unnecessary button push.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Thanks bros, will try and print out a few from each one.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Is there a way to post a set in flickr where I only want people to see that set and nothing else? Besides setting the privacy settings to Only Friends/family?

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I have a question.

I just recently started shooting in RAW, but every picture seems to have a lot of blue noise in it, especially in black areas and on that longest sides of the image when I view it in light room. When I export it as a JPEG it dissapears. Is this something that happens with RAW? Is it LR? Am I doing something wrong? Am I an idiot?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Four Banger posted:

I just recently started shooting in RAW, but every picture seems to have a lot of blue noise in it, especially in black areas and on that longest sides of the image when I view it in light room. When I export it as a JPEG it dissapears. Is this something that happens with RAW? Is it LR? Am I doing something wrong? Am I an idiot?

Taking a guess here, most jpeg compressors have some form of noise reduction (in that the way they store color data ends up acting like noise reduction). Which can be a bad thing.
I'm probably wrong.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Four Banger posted:

Is it visible in the 100% ("1:1") view? I don't think noise reduction gets applied to the "Fit" or "Fill" views.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is it visible in the 100% ("1:1") view? I don't think noise reduction gets applied to the "Fit" or "Fill" views.

Raw - visible in Fit and 1:1
JPEG - Never visible.

I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference right now anyways as everything gets exported to JPEG before getting uploaded.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Four Banger posted:

Raw - visible in Fit and 1:1
JPEG - Never visible.

I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference right now anyways as everything gets exported to JPEG before getting uploaded.
When you're in Develop press J. I think you have the shadow/highlight clip warning on.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

MrBlandAverage posted:

When you're in Develop press J. I think you have the shadow/highlight clip warning on.

If this is the case I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

In Lightroom in the Gridview is there anyway to make the images load straight up I'm sick of waiting five seconds for each image to go from pixelated to fine. I tried rendering standard sized previews at 1680 but that doesn't change anything.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 1, 2010

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I remember seeing an image with a girl on a bridge shot with various lenses to demonstrate the effects of background compression with wide v. tele lenses. Does anyone have this image? I'm having trouble tracking it down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Is there a way to post a set in flickr where I only want people to see that set and nothing else? Besides setting the privacy settings to Only Friends/family?

Don't think so, unless you started a new Flickr account.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

How many other people use back-button AF? I recently decided to permanently switch over, because I like the control more and it fits the way I shoot. I only know of one other photographer that actually does this though, so I'm curious about who else does.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

JaundiceDave posted:

I remember seeing an image with a girl on a bridge shot with various lenses to demonstrate the effects of background compression with wide v. tele lenses. Does anyone have this image? I'm having trouble tracking it down.

i dont know the one you're talking about but i found this one a while back that also covered the same thing http://www.kevinwilley.com/l3_topic04.htm

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

nonanone posted:

How many other people use back-button AF? I recently decided to permanently switch over, because I like the control more and it fits the way I shoot. I only know of one other photographer that actually does this though, so I'm curious about who else does.

Me. Once I switched for some particular shots I realized it was much more versatile, and just as easy, as the single button AF/Meter/Shutter use.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

nonanone posted:

I have it set like that most of the time. I have the custom function for that on the custom menu on my 40D so I can quickly switch back and forth. Really handy when you hand the camera to someone else. I've found even if you tell them to press that button to focus they will quickly forget.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

nonanone posted:

Me, and I convinced my friend to switch, too. He even uses the same model as I do.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
To you guys who do the back button focus, do you have a grip and use those, or do you find the placement on camera fine? I tried doing the separate back button focus and found it very awkward to use when the camera was up to my face. Maybe I have small hands?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Shmoogy posted:

To you guys who do the back button focus, do you have a grip and use those, or do you find the placement on camera fine? I tried doing the separate back button focus and found it very awkward to use when the camera was up to my face. Maybe I have small hands?

Do you use your left eye or right eye with the viewfinder?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I use my right eye into the viewfinder. I'm right handed and use microscopes and other things with my right eye as well.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Stregone posted:

I have the custom function for that on the custom menu on my 40D so I can quickly switch back and forth. Really handy when you hand the camera to someone else. I've found even if you tell them to press that button to focus they will quickly forget.
Haha, I didn't even think about this. My friends have a hard enough time using my camera ("Wait, it's not a zoom lens don't twist it like that...[SCRREERR]"), they'd just throw it away in disgust if I told them to focus with one button and shoot with another.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

:colbert: I don't let anyone who doesn't know what they're doing hold my camera, so that's not a problem.

I haven't had any problems with comfort, and I have really small hands...I use my left eye in the viewfinder though, despite being right handed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nonanone posted:

Meh. I switch pretty often between single and continuous AF, but my lock button's for exposure only (I use auto ISO mostly, and usually set f-stop and shutter manually). I'm left-eye dominant so I already have my face in front of half the controls anyway.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nonanone posted:

:colbert: I don't let anyone who doesn't know what they're doing hold my camera, so that's not a problem.

People usually freak out in a "get that thing away from me!" fashion if I try to hand them my camera because it weighs a ton with battery grip, f/2.8 lenses with hoods and flash. It might as well be the BFG from Doom with all that craziness.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nonanone posted:

I use my left eye in the viewfinder though, despite being right handed.

Me too. I just got curious and looked it up: Wikipedia article on ocular dominance.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Me too. I just got curious and looked it up: Wikipedia article on ocular dominance.

Haha thanks for that link, it's pretty interesting.

quote:

The Miles test. The observer extends both arms, brings both hands together to create a small opening, then with both eyes open views a distant object through the opening. The observer then alternates closing the eyes or slowly draws opening back to the head to determine which eye is viewing the object (i.e. the dominant eye)[

Gah I said it wrong, apparantly I am left eye dominant but I've been using my right eye for everything that requires a single eye for years. It feels so awkward to look through the viewfinder with my left eye though.

e: Wait so which do you guys use AE lock/AF, or AE/AF, no AE lock? Or rather which is preferred. I'm going to try to swap to using this method for a week or two and see if I can get used to it.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 2, 2010

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
As someone who shoot guns I want to chime in and say that being right handed and left eye dominant is fairly common. There is even a thread in TFR about it. This is a pretty good link to help you find your dominance.

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

e: Wait so which do you guys use AE lock/AF, or AE/AF, no AE lock?
My lock does AE, but no AF.

Shmoogy posted:

Or rather which is preferred.
There's a reason you can change it. The correct way's the one that works for you. I'd worry about what's in front of the lens instead.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Atticus_1354 posted:

As someone who shoot guns I want to chime in and say that being right handed and left eye dominant is fairly common. There is even a thread in TFR about it. This is a pretty good link to help you find your dominance.

http://www.archeryweb.com/archery/eyedom.htm

That's two parts of my life this affects, and I didn't think about it affecting either part that much until I saw the thread or mention in a thread about it. At least I've got an excuse now for the sneeze spray on the back of my camera when I have a cold. :v:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

nonanone posted:

I asked before but didn't get a response so I'll ask again. What's the difference between setting my back button to AF when held versus just leaving it normal and switching the camera from AF to MF after I set my focus? I assume all cameras have this switch in the front where it's easily accessible. I tried setting the back button to AF but it's just really annoying to keep it held down constantly.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It's really annoying to flick the switch back and forth between MF and AF on the lens and wastes time and you can lose your composition or depth of field if you're working narrowly. And you don't have to hold it down, you can simply tap it when you want it to focus, then recompose as you want.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JaundiceDave posted:

I've never seen that, though this is a demonstration on how focal length affects facial features.

http://stepheneastwood.com/tutorials/lensdistortion/strippage.htm

Reminds me of "Hope this helps" posts in Lowtax threads.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ziir posted:

I asked before but didn't get a response so I'll ask again. What's the difference between setting my back button to AF when held versus just leaving it normal and switching the camera from AF to MF after I set my focus? I assume all cameras have this switch in the front where it's easily accessible. I tried setting the back button to AF but it's just really annoying to keep it held down constantly.

I answered the first time. You've added an unnecessary step to the process, and that's rarely a good thing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

torgeaux posted:

I answered the first time. You've added an unnecessary step to the process, and that's rarely a good thing.

I just changed mine because of this discussion to be the AF button. Makes perfect sense and I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

poopinmymouth posted:

I just changed mine because of this discussion to be the AF button. Makes perfect sense and I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but once you get used to the slight difference, it seems more intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but once you get used to the slight difference, it seems more intuitive.

I don't think intuitive is the proper word for it, I don't think I've really ever heard of people using a dedicated autofocus button instead of priming the shutter button, and I'm sure most people would probably back me on that. Although, I am very new to dSLRs, so maybe it's something that I just haven't really read about.

I wont have a chance to go out and shoot due to exams coming up, but I was playing around with it (and using my left eye with the viewfinder!) and I think I might end up preferring it once it becomes a little more second nature to do so.