Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

maniacripper posted:

It's to distinguish each hour in ratings. The first hour would be "raw is war" or whatever it is then the second hour would be "war zone".

I think it was half ego (so they could claim to have two highly rated shows every week instead of just one) and half economics (because the second hour probably drew higher ratings, so they could charge more for the ad time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Also the 2nd hr of the show is when the more explicit stuff went down for the most part.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Whatever happened to the Randy Orton Man Love Center?

Wrestlehut, do you falter in your worship of the Son of Man? Do you no longer appreciate the beauty of bag-making GBS threads-oval office-doves? Where do your spiritual allegiances lie?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Orton is so 2006. We worship Batista now.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Orton is so 2006. We worship Batista now.

Gross.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

anakha posted:

Decent to good inside the ring. Awkward with promos, to put it mildly. Seemed to have a genetic predisposition to internal bleeding. Had a Botchamania moment with his kayfabe sister. Seemed more comfortable as a heel than as a face.

This isn't entirely on-topic, but Ken Shamrock had some awesome loving entrance music.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

GOP posted:

Whatever happened to the Randy Orton Man Love Center?

Wrestlehut, do you falter in your worship of the Son of Man? Do you no longer appreciate the beauty of bag-making GBS threads-oval office-doves? Where do your spiritual allegiances lie?

I dream of John Morrison kissing Randy Orton every day and sometimes if I'm lucky I get to massage myself to it :shlick:

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Veg posted:

I dream of John Morrison kissing Randy Orton every day and sometimes if I'm lucky I get to massage myself to it :shlick:

You are a woman and therefor that is gay.

It is widely known that Randy Orton is the only man, another straight man can blow, and then become straighter, and more manly because of it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

GOP posted:

You are a woman and therefor that is gay.

It is widely known that Randy Orton is the only man, another straight man can blow, and then become straighter, and more manly because of it.

I'm mostly a man

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Real question: is New Jack the most badass wrestler?

Name some other wrestling badasses.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Veg posted:

I'm mostly a man

edit: GBS gimmick posting in wrestlehut.

So do you prefer pie or strudel?

GOP fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 3, 2010

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The A-Team Van posted:

He's more like the most dumbass wrestler given the Sprite/7up incident a couple years ago. Most of his claims are just hype, who know if he's done ANYTHING he says he has before his wrestling career.

Wrestling badasses: Ken Shamrock, Danny Hodge, Don Frye, Billy Robinson, guys who could actually gently caress people up. Don Frye once won a fight after Shamrock broke BOTH OF HIS ANKLES! There is no man more badass. He ruined Inoki's retirement match by breaking his arm (an accident) and made Inoki have to go home. So anyone who can ruin that egotistical toad's retirement is tops in my book.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

He's more like the most dumbass wrestler given the Sprite/7up incident a couple years ago. Most of his claims are just hype, who know if he's done ANYTHING he says he has before his wrestling career.

Wrestling badasses: Ken Shamrock, Danny Hodge, Don Frye, Billy Robinson, guys who could actually gently caress people up. Don Frye once won a fight after Shamrock broke BOTH OF HIS ANKLES! There is no man more badass. He ruined Inoki's retirement match by breaking his arm (an accident) and made Inoki have to go home. So anyone who can ruin that egotistical toad's retirement is tops in my book.

I never knew Don Frye did wrestling but I remember watching an MMA match with him where he and Shamrock put each other in simultaneous ankle locks and were trying to make each other tap.

Or that time he and that japanese guy figured blocking was for pussies and played facial ro-sham-bo

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Dylar Addict posted:

I never knew Don Frye did wrestling but I remember watching an MMA match with him where he and Shamrock put each other in simultaneous ankle locks and were trying to make each other tap.

Or that time he and that japanese guy figured blocking was for pussies and played facial ro-sham-bo

vs yoshihiro takayama. I'm not that big a fan of takayama's matches, but I love seeing him getting beaten up in MMA

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

WCW Saturday Night is hard to count since it changed forms so many times and changed names. But even now there are shows that have been on the air longer than Raw in Law and Order and the Simpsons, and wrestling shows the world over that were on longer, AJPW on NTV, Wrestling at the Chase, etc.
Yeah. So again, Vince McMahon is a loving liar and I'm tired of him stroking his cock all over cable with his bullshit announcements. USA shouldn't let him lie like that.

If they don't say "weekly", which they often don't, and just say, "Longest running episodic television show ever." And they have. A lot. Then they'd be beaten by over 10,000 episodes by All My Children.

TL posted:

What was the reasoning for listing Raw and War Zone as separate shows?
As Maniacripper said, they could get two of the top ten slots on the cable ratings charts, but they were also able to rate the two shows differently with the TV ratings board. More blood and sexual content aired after ten.

The A-Team Van posted:

Tonga (Meng), Kurt Angle, Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah. So again, Vince McMahon is a loving liar and I'm tired of him stroking his cock all over cable with his bullshit announcements. USA shouldn't let him lie like that.

If they don't say "weekly", which they often don't, and just say, "Longest running episodic television show ever." And they have. A lot. Then they'd be beaten by over 10,000 episodes by All My Children.

Not quite a lie perhaps, but how impressed are we supposed to be that World Wrestling Entertainment holds more shows in Europe than the National Basketball, Hockey and Football Leagues?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

apsouthern posted:

WWE IN THE WARZONE

In 2009, WWE had
more live events in Iraq
than the NBA, the Olympics,
and Michael Jackson combined.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

DannoMack posted:

How is Mizanin pronounced?

"Douche."

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

apsouthern posted:

Not quite a lie perhaps, but how impressed are we supposed to be that World Wrestling Entertainment holds more shows in Europe than the National Basketball, Hockey and Football Leagues?

It's apples to oranges, like most of the Did You Know spots. I like when they brag about beating NFL in the ratings during pre-season games. Their claimed viewers have also been suspect, since they claim a total of unique viewers meaning that their entire audience only watches a single show per week, nobody watching Raw and Smackdown for example.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

MassRayPer posted:

It was the same music they used for Fake Rosie.

O'Donald?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dylar Addict posted:

[quote]Or that time he and that japanese guy figured blocking was for pussies and played facial ro-sham-bo

This was amazing on account of Don Frye really not looking much worse for the wear.

Don Frye in Godzilla Final War: The real reason to watch that movie.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This was amazing on account of Don Frye really not looking much worse for the wear.

Don Frye in Godzilla Final War: The real reason to watch that movie.

Does he punch the poo poo out of a monster? If not no buys.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The A-Team Van posted:

Perry Saturn. Army Airborne Ranger, tattoo enthusiast, lover of mops, was shot 3 times in the neck stopping an attempted rape and is still walking the face of the earth. I know that people always say that Meng/Haku is a "legitimate badass" which got him a push in WWF/WCW despite having precious little wrestling talent, but what exactly justifies that reputation?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

SiKboy posted:

Perry Saturn. . .was shot 3 times in the neck stopping an attempted rape

I never gave a poo poo about Perry Saturn but if this is true I am now a Perry Saturn fan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Does he punch the poo poo out of a monster? If not no buys.

He voluntarily gives up a katana just so he can have the pleasure of knocking the poo poo out of the main character from Versus. Among other feats of awesome.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

SiKboy posted:

Perry Saturn. Army Airborne Ranger, tattoo enthusiast, lover of mops, was shot 3 times in the neck stopping an attempted rape and is still walking the face of the earth. I know that people always say that Meng/Haku is a "legitimate badass" which got him a push in WWF/WCW despite having precious little wrestling talent, but what exactly justifies that reputation?

A retelling of an observer story.
"Remember Haku back in the early WWF days. He later became Meng in WCW. A somewhat big, thick, and muscular Samoan (not as big as Umaga). Looked and acted pretty mild mannered, and funny. He had a run vs Andre at one time.

Anyhoo this is going back about 17 years when he was with the then named WWF. He was in this Bar somewhere in Hawaii. He was loaded Drunk, and these 3 guys were lippin off at him. They werent that much smaller than him, but jumped him, and he literally started beating the snot out of all three.

They had two buddies jump in and it truly didnt matter a drat cause no one could slow Haku down. It gets better. The establishment calls the Police. In the meantime he BIT-OFF one of his attackers nose! Two cop cars get there (4 cops) and immediately pull Baton and Jump him. The Patrons of the Bar said it looked like a B-Rated Movie how Haku was Throwing Cops around the Bar.

There was a Cop onsight that was a Golden-Gloved Boxer at one time quoted as saying that he was never hit so hard, and never seen someone ignore his punches to such a degree. They hit Haku with a Taser, and you guessed it - nothin.

Haku was a local and a celebrity so they did not want to shoot him. They called two more cars. When it was all finally over there were 4 Cop Cars, 8 Cops, they hit him with the Tazer a total of three times, someone missing a nose, and they group/gang had to carry him and Push him into the Wagon.

What added to the Myth was when he arrives at the Station he's fine. He's laughing kidding and joking around. He never even had to go to the Hospital. Word travelled in the locker-room fast!

When everybody was being laid-off in droves by the WCW at their end - Haku/Meng was able to last 2 more years than his peers making no draw, and no possibility of one. Terry Taylor said it was because "the suits" were afraid of him (Haku) too much to fire him."
Mostly legend, but it adds a lot to his aura. There are stories all over the place about him.

Edit: From Wikipedia
"Fifita made a name for himself outside the ring as the toughest wrestler of his era and is known for allegedly biting off noses, and knocking people out with one punch, slap, or headbutt. Though he had an easygoing, friendly personality outside of wrestling, he had very little tolerance for people who tested him. Even renowned hardman Bad News Brown said in interviews that Fifita was without a doubt the most vigorous. Bill Goldberg has also called him the toughest man he's been in the ring with. His one time manager, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan said in a shoot interview that Haku was "the toughest man I've ever met in my life." In 1987, Haku had a backstage fight with Jesse Barr (who wrestled at the WWF as Jimmy Jack Funk) which allegedly resulted in Fifita gouging one of Barr's eyeballs out, causing Barr to later wear a glass eye. After this fight, Fifita had a reputation that steered wrestlers away from backstage confrontations.

In the book Arn Anderson: 4 Ever, Arn Anderson cites an event where Fifita pushed a cowboy through two sets of doors with one hand - and a conversation with The Barbarian about who was tougher. The Barbarian just shook his head when Anderson asked who would win in a fight between him and Fifita and stated "Meng's the man."

He also had an altercation with Brutus Beefcake after Beefcake complained to WWF management that Tonga slapped him too hard during a match. After WWF management informed Tonga, he immediately went to the locker room and grabbed Beefcake out of the shower, and began choking him, lifting him two feet off the floor. Other wrestlers were hesitant to break it up, so finally Hulk Hogan (who Tonga respected) was called in and was able to calm Tonga down."

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 3, 2010

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The A-Team Van posted:

Harley Race and Wahoo McDaniel are two who immediately spring to mind. Harley was fighting grown men in carnivals at 15 and had the entire NWA terrified of him as champion. NO ONE hosed with Harley Race.

The family who owns the place where my mom gets her hair done were all friends of Wahoo's, and they have a lot of stories about him destroying people in bars and just generally being an rear end-kicking machine. He actually used to chop people in real fights, and it worked.

Paul Orndorff deserves a mention too, as does Bruiser Brody.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What about Taker and Finlay.

If only for keeping a locker room full of bastards and carnies on the straight and narrow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CombineThresher posted:

Harley Race and Wahoo McDaniel are two who immediately spring to mind. Harley was fighting grown men in carnivals at 15 and had the entire NWA terrified of him as champion. NO ONE hosed with Harley Race.

There's a promo that Harley gave at one point in the 70s where he's just sitting there holding his belt and extremely calmly, quietly laying out that he is the man and he will destroy anyone who comes after his belt. It was an incredibly effective promo, especially considering the bluff and bluster we're so used to seeing from old school wrestling promos.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

There's a promo that Harley gave at one point in the 70s where he's just sitting there holding his belt and extremely calmly, quietly laying out that he is the man and he will destroy anyone who comes after his belt. It was an incredibly effective promo, especially considering the bluff and bluster we're so used to seeing from old school wrestling promos.

Either we've seen the same promo, or Harley gave this promo on multiple occasions. Neither would surprise me.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Karmine posted:

I never gave a poo poo about Perry Saturn but if this is true I am now a Perry Saturn fan.

It is true. They were .22 caliber and he didn't even notice he was shot until later, he just felt a burning sensation and thought one of the men had hit him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CVagts posted:

Either we've seen the same promo, or Harley gave this promo on multiple occasions. Neither would surprise me.

Here's the link I posted in the Youtube thread awhile back:

Jerusalem posted:

I was watching Legends of Wrestling's Bad-asses Discussion and saw a Harley Race promo I'd never seen before.

Harley Race Promo

3:45 - 5:45, it's an incredibly effective promo, the dude means business!

I still think it's awesome.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Here's the link I posted in the Youtube thread awhile back:

I still think it's awesome.

Yep, that's the one. Harley rules. I also love Foley's story about him when they worked in WCW.

"It's a shame that happened outside the ring, Mick."
"It was a HEADBUTT...inside...the ring."
"Oh, come on now Harley, I saw it, it was outside the ring."
"I SAID...it was a HEADBUTT...inside...the ring."
"Mick, we're going to take care of this."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tonga is the biggest case of "finisher ruins wrestler for me" I can recall off the top of my head. It's funny that he's such a huge bad-rear end in real life and his finisher was so goofy.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

LividLiquid posted:

Tonga is the biggest case of "finisher ruins wrestler for me" I can recall off the top of my head. It's funny that he's such a huge bad-rear end in real life and his finisher was so goofy.

I thought it was either a Super Kick or a Claw-type maneuver.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Hockles posted:

I thought it was either a Super Kick or a Claw-type maneuver.

He's probably referring to the Tongan Death Grip which did look sort of silly sometimes, although it makes up for it by actually being pretty loving painful if done with malicious intent.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Free Market Gravy posted:

He's probably referring to the Tongan Death Grip which did look sort of silly sometimes, although it makes up for it by actually being pretty loving painful if done with malicious intent.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking of.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The first time I remember seeing Haku was when he was Meng, the silent bodyguard of COLONEL ROBERT PARKER in WCW. For months he didn't do anything, he just looked menacing and frightening. And then in the aftermath of a Clash of the Champions match between the Rhodes family and Parker's stable, Dusty smashed Meng with a wooden chair that shattered on impact and Meng just stood there. And little eight-year-old me said ":ohdear: RUN DUSTY RUN"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Am I an idiot or did WWE never run a plumber gimmick? It seems obvious that it would come up in the 80s/90s with all the vocation gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
TL Hopper