Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

That's a slightly fiddly solution for casual note-taking, but really good information. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

h_double posted:

That's a slightly fiddly solution for casual note-taking, but really good information. Thanks!

I hear you. I'm looking for an integrated project-tracking/note-taking app myself that I can run inside of Ableton.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Can someone tell me how to make a clip automatically start?

Basically, I have a 1 bar kick drum loop which I'm using as the sidechain trigger on a bunch of FX chains. Currently I'm having to manually start to loop, but I sometimes forget which can be a bit annoying when you're in the middle of a mix and don't get the desired effect.

I want the loop to trigger the minute I hit play, or trigger any other clip. I assume this is possible?

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
So you're trying to have it automatically trigger while you're doing mixes? ... or are you trying to have it start while you're mixing a (relatively) fixed track? If the second senario is true, just record the scene and the button press will record along with any other automation you're using. In the first case, I have no idea how to get something to trigger based off some quantified input criteria.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

That's a crazy thing to want it to do. I suppose you should just start your set by launching that clip, it'll work exactly the same

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Meaty Potato posted:

So you're trying to have it automatically trigger while you're doing mixes? ... or are you trying to have it start while you're mixing a (relatively) fixed track? If the second senario is true, just record the scene and the button press will record along with any other automation you're using. In the first case, I have no idea how to get something to trigger based off some quantified input criteria.

I want it to trigger automatically when I start playing, regardless of the clip. e.g. I want to press the play button on my APC40, and I want this clip to start playing automatically.

I guess I could just trigger that clip first, but i thought there might be a more graceful solution. Live seems so versatile, so I thought I might be able to automate this somehow.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

You can have a clip mapped to a midi key. Live's versatile, but there's no way it'd allow for you to do this crazy, obscure thing.

Ableton really isn't that versatile. Its a blank slate that gives you the ability to do so much, but you can't do too many mind bending things with it. Play some clips, route some audo, maybe have some clip events go off, but nothing that crazy. Max4Live does give you limitless possibilities, but Live itself it's not particularity versatile.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
If you're not doing anything in Arrangement view, maybe you could have a looped clip in an Arrangement track that plays constantly while you do other stuff in Clip view?

Or maybe just copy the loop to every scene in Clip view?

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

ManoliIsFat posted:

You can have a clip mapped to a midi key. Live's versatile, but there's no way it'd allow for you to do this crazy, obscure thing.

Ableton really isn't that versatile. Its a blank slate that gives you the ability to do so much, but you can't do too many mind bending things with it. Play some clips, route some audo, maybe have some clip events go off, but nothing that crazy. Max4Live does give you limitless possibilities, but Live itself it's not particularity versatile.

It would be incredibly easy to do in Max4Live. If only they had a runtime, I'd whip something up.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ha! I didn't think it was that crazy!

But ok....i guess i'll just trigger it manually then :(

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
I don't see why this is so difficult in your situation. Just record it the first time and it'll record the input of starting that track and that is that.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.
Do you think that the iPad could become a $500 Lemur?

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.

k0konutz posted:

Do you think that the iPad could become a $500 Lemur?

I really don't see why not. It's the only reason I'm remotely interested in one. TouchOSC on the iPhone is great, just let down by the screen size. If they do a large version, which they'd be silly not to, it will rock.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Lemur does a lot of stuff that TouchOSC doesn't. That can surely be improved but it has a ways to go still. Lemur has got a bunch of objects that TouchOSC doesn't, the physics implementation and also the scripting language which is what really lets you do the cool poo poo.

The lack of a wired connection through which IO can be done sucks too... Wireless works 95% of the time but the other 5% is a problem.

It's a minor thing but the Lemur can track a basically unlimited number of points and the iPad presumably will only do 5 as on the iPhone (but we'll see I guess).

If not the iPad then the iPad 2 or some other tablet device that's coming out, but people have been saying that the Lemur will be killed next month for 3 years now. Sooner or later, maybe sooner at this point, something more cost effective and just as good will come around but wake me up when I can actually buy it.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

Well, exactly. I mean, if you can afford the 2k and you're heavily heavily into your programming etc. then yeah Lemur is worth it. But for the common man who wants to experiment with that sort of stuff, then TouchOSC is great. It's also good from an educational point of view, i've had a couple of ipods rigged up with students on the other end of a classroom controlling a group project. Much fun.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

WIFI might not be a good solution, but bluetooth is more than adequate to the task.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Anyone have recommendations for a glitch type VST? Beat repeater just isn't hacking it and Lucifer isn't available anymore.

Psychedelic posted:

Glitch is fun

Windows Only :(

Afro Thunder fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 1, 2010

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Afro Thunder posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a glitch type VST? Beat repeater just isn't hacking it and Lucifer isn't available anymore.

Glitch is fun

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Not free, but Sugar Bytes Effectrix is the best I've found.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hullo friends-
I'm looking to actually add some gear to my Live setup. At the moment I have a simple Ox8, Launchpad, for some reason a nanoPad and a new MacBook Pro. I'm looking to track vocals and maybe some guitar at some point, so this raises a few questions.

Do I get a simple Presonus box for the input, or should I get a dedicated firewire/usb mixer? Something that would allow multiple outs so I can experiment w/ DJ mixes? I could also eventually start to invest in actual outboard gear, like buying a 909 to aggrivate my girlfriend to no end.

And if anybody could recommend some cheap-ish monitors, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I was in the same boat as you recently, and picked up the Presonus Firestudio mobile and a pair of KRK Rokit 6's. No regrets.

Meaty Potato
Jun 3, 2006

Come Down on Me
Depending on the area you're in, check out craigslist for used gear. I got a great pair of Alesis active monitors for $150 with absolutely nothing wrong w/ them when they went for something like $200 each new. How much would you pay for some cheap monitors? 'Cheap' is very relative

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Meaty Potato posted:

Depending on the area you're in, check out craigslist for used gear. I got a great pair of Alesis active monitors for $150 with absolutely nothing wrong w/ them when they went for something like $200 each new. How much would you pay for some cheap monitors? 'Cheap' is very relative

150-200 is around what I was looking to spend. Boston area- so I'm in good shape for used stuff. Many thanks.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
I recently got "Ableton Live 8 Power!: The Comprehensive Guide" by recommendation of someone in this thread. Been going through it the past few days and I recommend it to anyone else starting Ableton or looking to understand workflows better.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 9, 2020

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

mit_senf posted:

Quick newbie question. How can I run multiple MIDI tracks through the same plugin? For example, say I had two piano tracks, one for the left hand and the other for the right, and I wanted them to run through the same instance of the sampler, but I'd still be able to add effects individually to each.

Put Sampler in the Left Hand track, then set Right Hand's "MIDI Out" to Left Hand. You may have to set Left Hand's "Monitor" to "In". :)

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Plastic Snake posted:

Not free, but Sugar Bytes Effectrix is the best I've found.

Best thing ever. Midi'ed up effectrix is the bizomb.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Computer Jones posted:

Put Sampler in the Left Hand track, then set Right Hand's "MIDI Out" to Left Hand. You may have to set Left Hand's "Monitor" to "In". :)

That doesn't quite work. If you want two MIDI tracks to play through the same plugin, you actually need three tracks: an instrument track ("piano") with Monitor set to "In", and two MIDI tracks "left hand" and "right hand", each of which has MIDI output pointing to "piano".

However if you want the left hand and right hand parts treated with separate audio effects, you either need a sampler that lets you set up zones mapped to multiple outputs (e.g. "all notes below middle C go to output 1, all notes above middle C go to output 2"), or else run a separate instance of the sampler on each track. Ableton's Simpler/Sampler instruments do not support multiple outputs so in that case you would have to run two separate Sampler tracks.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Ok this is really basic but it's pissing me off. I'm trying to learn ableton as my first real DAW but I'm an idiot. I have a bass sound mapped to my midi controller, and I'm using a slider to change an effect on the bass sound. I want to record a two bar loop of this. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, once I record the loop, the effect stays at whatever position my slider is in, and not all the poo poo I did with it while recording. What am I missing?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Ok this is really basic but it's pissing me off. I'm trying to learn ableton as my first real DAW but I'm an idiot. I have a bass sound mapped to my midi controller, and I'm using a slider to change an effect on the bass sound. I want to record a two bar loop of this. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, once I record the loop, the effect stays at whatever position my slider is in, and not all the poo poo I did with it while recording. What am I missing?

This is one of the big limitations of Live, that you can't record automation into clip view.

You CAN record automation into Arrangement view, and if you want the same automation looped over and over you can record two (or however many bars) and then ctrl-drag that over and over to copy the automation envelopes -- but only in Arrangement view.

You can also go into clip view and edit the automation offsets on a clip by drawing/editing the envelope by hand, but there's no way record a fader movement directly into the clip (except for pitch bend and modulation wheel).

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

Afro Thunder posted:

There's a good thread at the Ableton Forum with a list of downloadable racks, if you don't mind using them to glitch up your clips.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

h_double posted:

This is one of the big limitations of Live, that you can't record automation into clip view.

You CAN record automation into Arrangement view, and if you want the same automation looped over and over you can record two (or however many bars) and then ctrl-drag that over and over to copy the automation envelopes -- but only in Arrangement view.

You can also go into clip view and edit the automation offsets on a clip by drawing/editing the envelope by hand, but there's no way record a fader movement directly into the clip (except for pitch bend and modulation wheel).

Alright thanks for the clarification. I hadn't even considered that what I was trying to do wasn't possible.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 9, 2020

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Alright thanks for the clarification. I hadn't even considered that what I was trying to do wasn't possible.

For the record, you CAN record midi controller automation into clips in session view. How to get those to control your parameter though, might be the kicker.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

For the record, you CAN record midi controller automation into clips in session view. How to get those to control your parameter though, might be the kicker.

Please explain how; I would love to be proved wrong on this but I don't think it's so.

As far as I'm aware, recording into a clip only captures note data (+velocity + aftertouch), pitch bend and modulation -- it does not record other control movements, either by way of a mapped control surface paramter, or by directly manipulating an onscreen control with the mouse.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

1) Grab yourself a MIDI controller and assign a slider to MIDI CC14.
2) Create a MIDI track and arm it.
3) Create a 1 bar clip in session view and launch it.
4) Turn on MIDI overdub
5) Double click the clip, in the lower left click the "E" to view envelopes.
6) Select "MIDI" from the first drop down, and "Controller 14" from the second.
7) Adjust the slider assigned to CC14 and voila.

Some of those steps aren't necessary to actually record the movements, this example is just to show you firsthand that it works.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Huh, that's good to know. I think that never occurred to me on account of the way my control surface is mapped (each slider sends the same CC #, only on different MIDI channels), but that's easy enough to reconfigure.

However, as you said, I don't see a way to then use that data to control a plugin parameter -- if I go in and use MIDI learn to assign that same slider to a synth's filter cutoff knob, the recorded envelope doesn't affect the synth.

If nothing else this will probably make my life easier when automating external hardware synths. Thanks!

h_double fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 3, 2010

Lewk
May 22, 2001

you're all tuning in to the 365 live tips, right?

...right?!?!?

http://www.heatercore.net/livetips/index.html

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

h_double posted:

Huh, that's good to know. I think that never occurred to me on account of the way my control surface is mapped (each slider sends the same CC #, only on different MIDI channels), but that's easy enough to reconfigure.

However, as you said, I don't see a way to then use that data to control a plugin parameter -- if I go in and use MIDI learn to assign that same slider to a synth's filter cutoff knob, the recorded envelope doesn't affect the synth.

If nothing else this will probably make my life easier when automating external hardware synths. Thanks!

An experiment to try might be to automate the parameters on a midi track that outputs to a virtual midi output (or a real midi out if you have a spare one) and then to connect that midi output to a virtual midi input in live and set that input as a mappable controller input. It's a small pain in that you'd have an extra MIDI channel, but worth the price if you really want to automate the parameters.

Why live doesn't let you do this natively is beyond me, although I'm looking forward to working around it with max for live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RivensBitch posted:

An experiment to try might be to automate the parameters on a midi track that outputs to a virtual midi output (or a real midi out if you have a spare one) and then to connect that midi output to a virtual midi input in live and set that input as a mappable controller input. It's a small pain in that you'd have an extra MIDI channel, but worth the price if you really want to automate the parameters.

Why live doesn't let you do this natively is beyond me, although I'm looking forward to working around it with max for live.

Ableton's explanation is that there would be confusion/conflict if you tried to automate a parameter at both the clip-level and arrangement-level. And the way it works now with the offsets does let you do some cool things (example: create a one-bar clip and draw in automation for an upward filter sweep. Then go into arrangement view, make that clip into an 8-bar loop, and draw an 8-bar downward filter sweep of the same parameter).

It seems like the best solution would be if there were a switch where you could either set each clip's automation to "relative" (like how it currently works) or "absolute" (which would override Arrangement-level automation).