Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the only place in town that really sold a wide variety of gear has closed (at least their retail side of business) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Anybody here got a Kriega backpack?

I've been looking at hiking stores etc. for a decent backpack I can carry a hydration bladder and change of clothes or maybe some camera gear in, but I wasn't really seeing anything that looked the goods until I spied an ad in a magazine for Kriega backpacks, which are purpose designed for motorcyclists, apparently.

I'm looking at this one, which has 25L capacity and is hydration compatible (4L). The reviews on their site certainly seem to suggest this will be a good buy, I just wondered if anyone here had any first hand experience.

It doesn't look like it's designed to take the weight off of your shoulders which any good back pack should do. You want the weight to be on your hips and use your shoulders to just keep the pack upright.

Take a look at something like this for comparison:

http://www.rei.com/product/762506

I own this REI pack. Use it for bicycling and day hiking and it's wonderful. You lose a little space due to the mesh back panel but it's amazing at keeping your back from sweating profusely. If you notice the adjustments on top of the shoulder straps - these are what allow you to get the pack on, adjust the waist/hip belt so it's snug, and then tighten up the top of the straps to remove the weight from your shoulders. Tighten up the bottoms to snug it up and you're good to go.

For any sort of long distance riding I would really recommend a pack that has the same ability.

Numinous fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 2, 2010

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Numinous posted:

It doesn't look like it's designed to take the weight off of your shoulders which any good back pack should do. You want the weight to be on your hips and use your shoulders to just keep the pack upright.

Take a look at something like this for comparison:

http://www.rei.com/product/762506

I own this REI pack. Use it for bicycling and day hiking and it's wonderful. You lose a little space due to the mesh back panel but it's amazing at keeping your back from sweating profusely. If you notice the adjustments on top of the shoulder straps - these are what allow you to get the pack on, adjust the waist/hip belt so it's snug, and then tighten up the top of the straps to remove the weight from your shoulders. Tighten up the bottoms to snug it up and you're good to go.

For any sort of long distance riding I would really recommend a pack that has the same ability.

I was actually specifically wanting to avoid anything with a big waist belt on it, though I realise what you're getting at about not having the weight on your shoulders (I own a couple of bags with waist straps so myself, such as my Lowepro camera bag). I was looking at hiking packs etc. in the first place, until I saw the Kriega in a magazine ad. Apparently getting the weight off your shoulders is exactly what the Kriega packs do, but with their unconventional harness design instead of the style you've suggested:

http://www.kriega.com/pages_australia/r25/R25-icon2page.html

Some comments from reviews (both found on forums myself, and taken from reviews on the Kriega site):

"Fantastically comfortable."

"The R25 is of superb quality and extremely comfortable on the bike - importantly on a sports bike too, where it proves to be stable at all speeds and when cornering."

"Very comfortable and you don't notice that you're wearing it really."

"I did 4300 miles last year in eight days with the rucksack on my back the whole time and it never got uncomfortable."

"..the chest straps distribute the bag’s weight better, easing back pain."

"..due to the design of the bag and harness, the load is effectively transferred from the shoulders to the waist. This means that you can hardly tell you've got it on."

"The weight disappears when it's on your back - Kriega call it load stability and it transfers the load away from your shoulders and on to your chest."

Only the last 3 quotes are from reviews on the Kriega site. It certainly sounds like comfort shouldn't be a problem. I certainly hope this is the case anyway, as I pulled the trigger two days ago and hopefully the bag will turn up tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you all know what it's like. :)

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 2, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Only the last 3 quotes are from reviews on the Kriega site. It certainly sounds like comfort shouldn't be a problem. I certainly hope this is the case anyway, as I pulled the trigger two days ago and hopefully the bag will turn up tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you all know what it's like. :)

I forgot to respond after checking them out last weekend. I tried out both the R35 and R25 and I was VERY impressed -- A buddy of mine was getting sized for gear at Aerostich and I went along pretty much just to check these packs out, since apparently there's only two resellers of them in the US and 'stich is one of them. I was mainly interested in the R35... WOW what a pack. I wore it around the store looking like a complete dork for ~20 minutes and I could barely even tell it was on there. The top adjustment straps didn't seem to do much, but when you cinched down the bottom straps most of the weight disappeared off your shoulders and was transferred to the heavily padded hip strap, with the rest (which isn't much) going on your chest. I liked the zipper closure on the R35 better than the R25, but the 25's system would offer more ventilation. Bigass reflective section on the back of the pack, smart compression system, seemed very well built. The 10yr warranty doesn't hurt anything either.

The one thing that did surprise me was the size. For some reason I had the impression the R35 would be a huge cumbersome pack... it was not. In fact it seemed to be about the perfect size. I'd say the R25 is almost a bit small, but it would work just fine for day to day riding or commuting. I wanted something with some fairly serious cargo capacity as I'm planning on a number of weekend trips this year, along with a week long blast through the southwest. I also end up hauling a fair amount of poo poo around on errands for work, and it's way more fun to do that on a bike than take a car... :)

Other than the cost I think they're fanfuckingtastic backpacks. I didn't end up getting one over the weekend but after thinking on it and checking out my other options I ended up ordering it yesterday.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

needknees posted:

Thoughts on Kriega backpacks

Excellent, thanks for updating! :) Hmmm, I did think the R35 looked huge, I'm wondering now if maybe I should have ordered it anyway! Though I have no plans for weekend trips or anything yet, so am unlikely to need the space of the 35 very often at all. The 25 should be substantially larger than the lovely backpack I've used the couple of times I've needed to carry things up 'til now. Can't wait to get it!

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I like the Boblbee Megalopolis. It looks like a jetpack/vacuum cleaner/parachute, can carry a surprising amount of stuff with the cargo straps (a dozen krispy kreme donuts, a boombox, textbooks), provides okay protection for laptop or whatever you'd have inside, and doubles as a CE certified level 2 back protector.

There's mine with my shoes strapped to the outside with a cargo net and a casserole dish inside (was going to a picnic)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/sets/72157594491932403/
And there's some random dude's flickr with better angles.

Plus, I can dream about strapping my snowboard to my back and riding to the slopes. Imagine the look on people's faces.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Wouldn't the drag from a snowboard make your rear end go airbone

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Let me believe that it works :(
How CA would it be to ride a bike straight to the mountain while everyone else rolls up in SUVs? :black101:

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

redscare posted:

Thats half the fun

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

redscare posted:

If you have it the other way across your back like wings speeds over 45 are interesting...sometimes I really should just take the truck.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I like the Boblbee Megalopolis. It looks like a jetpack/vacuum cleaner/parachute, can carry a surprising amount of stuff with the cargo straps (a dozen krispy kreme donuts, a boombox, textbooks), provides okay protection for laptop or whatever you'd have inside, and doubles as a CE certified level 2 back protector.

I've got 2 Boblbees and they're pretty great. I carried one for years instead of a briefcase and I have one I wear on my bike. With the waist strap you can take most of the weight off of your shoulders. I spent two 10 hour days on my motorcycle last spring and the Boblbee was as comfortable as it could possibly be, considering I was bent over on my SV650S. Cargo room is a bit limited due to the hard shell, but the upside is that things don't shift around much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NewEnough has Joe Rocket textile jackets, Honda CBR design, for $39.99

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/honda_cbr_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

They only have blue, though.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

NewEnough has Joe Rocket textile jackets, Honda CBR design, for $39.99

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/honda_cbr_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

They only have blue, though.

I like how they show how easy it is to remove the Honda patches.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Does anyone know if there's something comparable to NewEnough but for :canada:?

It's bad enough ordering from the states with the higher shipping costs, but I've ordered large/expensive stuff before and been screwed big time on import duties.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

bung posted:

I like how they show how easy it is to remove the Honda patches.

Nice deal, I'd be all over this if I hadn't just bought a Ballistic 7 3/4 jacket.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
This may be a silly question, but do helmet liners shrink in the cold? I took my brand new Shoei Hornet out snowmobiling that I'd worn once and by the time I was done it was loose. When I bought it it fit perfectly. The temps ranged from about 5 degrees to 30 degrees so could that have caused the looseness? Can I expect it to go back to normal once it warms up or do I get to buy myself another new helmet?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Taelrin posted:

This may be a silly question, but do helmet liners shrink in the cold? I took my brand new Shoei Hornet out snowmobiling that I'd worn once and by the time I was done it was loose. When I bought it it fit perfectly. The temps ranged from about 5 degrees to 30 degrees so could that have caused the looseness? Can I expect it to go back to normal once it warms up or do I get to buy myself another new helmet?

You're going to see the most break-in of the liner in the first few hours of wearing a helmet. It might just be the liner breaking in. I can't see the cold shrinking the liner enough to make a huge difference. You say the helmet fit perfectly when it was brand new... chances are it was too big on you. Ideally a helmet will be almost too tight when it's new then break in to something that's still snug yet comfortable. Depending on the size of the shell you may be able to get new cheek pads / liners a size smaller. It'd definitely be cheaper than buying a totally new lid.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's finally here :D

Dainese Newsan Pelle. I can't talk about it without using hyperbole. The construction of the jacket is flawless and the materials are incredible. I am more pleased than you can possibly imagine.

kylej fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 4, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Pretty Italian geeeeaaar :argh:
Congrats mate, that jacket looks fantastic.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ohwandernearer posted:

So I need to get proper boots.

I like these Joe Rocket ones because they look normal.

http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/orbit_motorcycle_boots.html

I am hoping for something fairly inconspicuous

These just came in the mail today finally. I got the version with the strap that goes over the laces to stop them from getting tangled up in the shifter. If you've ever come to a stop and had your laces get caught on your peg when you try and put your foot down, you'll appreciate this feature.

The boots are real sturdy, very stiff sidewalls, feel nicely constructed and like they'll hold up to time. They are REALLY stiff so they'll need some time to break in before they'll be comfy to walk in, but they wear pretty inconspicuously. I bought them to have a pair of boots my feet can trust that wont make me look like a power ranger when going short distances or somewhere I have to be somewhat presentable. They'll do nicely for that. Recommended.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.gaskrank.tv/tv/motorrad-fun/36-kg-schwerer-alu-daishin-cro-10963.htm

Best helmet ever?

Break in would be a bitch...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Breaking your neck on a tiny fall would also be a bitch.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

kylej posted:

Dainese Newsan Pelle. I can't talk about it without using hyperbole. The construction of the jacket is flawless and the materials are incredible. I am more pleased than you can possibly imagine.

Nice, huh? I love my jacket, I almost can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can put the quilted liner in it because when I tried it on in store originally it had the liner in, and OH MY GOD SO NICE!

The only thing I don't love about the jacket is that it's an vintage style leather, so it's designed to fade and look old and wants to do so quickly, so I'm conditioning it regularly to stave this off as long as possible. Ideally I'd have just liked standard black leather like the pants, but options are limited in jackets without the speed hump, so oh well. :)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AncientTV posted:

Pretty Italian geeeeaaar :argh:
Congrats mate, that jacket looks fantastic.

Thank you. My gear has now eclipsed the value of my motorcycle which is a little strange.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

The only thing I don't love about the jacket is that it's an vintage style leather, so it's designed to fade and look old and wants to do so quickly, so I'm conditioning it regularly to stave this off as long as possible. Ideally I'd have just liked standard black leather like the pants, but options are limited in jackets without the speed hump, so oh well. :)

Really? I thought this jacket had the fancy D-Skin leather. I need to pick up the Dainese cleaning kit and do my jacket and gloves before the season starts.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

kylej posted:

It's finally here :D

<snip>
Hah, funny coincidence. We just got a bunch of new Dainese junk in at work earlier today (pretty rare). I was really impressed by the Delmar Pelle (we didn't get any Newsans), it feels awesome and I love the stylish reflective tape it has on it. Every piece of gear I own is A*, but drat, I might have to pick up a Dainese come springtime. I don't understand why they just have the shoulder armor velcroed in though, it feels so much cheaper than the pockets alpinestars uses.

snip

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 9, 2011

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

kylej posted:

Really? I thought this jacket had the fancy D-Skin leather. I need to pick up the Dainese cleaning kit and do my jacket and gloves before the season starts.

Oh, I'm talking about my jacket, not yours. I got the Stripes:

I didn't realise when I bought it that it would fade quite a bit by design - had I known that before I bought it I probably would have investigated other options (and may not have found any other Dainese model imported to Australia which didn't have a hump), but it will only affect the appearance of the leather, not its performance, comfort or integrity, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Eventually I'll get sick of regularly conditioning it to delay the process and just let it go.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Oh, I'm talking about my jacket, not yours. I got the Stripes:

I didn't realise when I bought it that it would fade quite a bit by design - had I known that before I bought it I probably would have investigated other options (and may not have found any other Dainese model imported to Australia which didn't have a hump), but it will only affect the appearance of the leather, not its performance, comfort or integrity, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Eventually I'll get sick of regularly conditioning it to delay the process and just let it go.

Why do all the Dainese models have an awkward expression on their faces, like there's something not too comfortable going on?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aargh posted:

Why do all the Dainese models have an awkward expression on their faces, like there's something not too comfortable going on?

It's hilarious. To be sort of fair, all leather gear fits like crap the first few days. But you'd think professional models should not show this in the actual marketing.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I've been wearing a Nolan N102 helmet for the last 30,000-something miles, and that whole time I had long (mid-back) hair. I just got all the hair cut off and now have a pretty short almost-buzz cut, can I expect this to change the fit of the helmet enough that it's no longer useable?

If the comfort padding has been mushed too much by my hair to fit well without the long hair, can I just get a new liner/padding for the helmet, without compromising it's safety?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I've been wearing a Nolan N102 helmet for the last 30,000-something miles, and that whole time I had long (mid-back) hair. I just got all the hair cut off and now have a pretty short almost-buzz cut, can I expect this to change the fit of the helmet enough that it's no longer useable?

If the comfort padding has been mushed too much by my hair to fit well without the long hair, can I just get a new liner/padding for the helmet, without compromising it's safety?

Probably not, and liner availability varies depending on the maker/model of the helmet.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Click here for the full 604x531 image.

In this picture, on my 6'5'', 190 lb. stature:
Scorpion EXO-700 helmet
Scorpion All-In Naked Jacket, XL
Knox Back Protector, full ridges
A*Stars Ridge waterproof boots
Tourmaster Caliber pants
Tourmaster Scarab winter gloves
Some random GAP scarf

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Anyone still have that link to a page where all sorts of various fabrics, mostly motorcycle-oriented fabrics, were tested and rated for abrasion resistance?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Anyone still have that link to a page where all sorts of various fabrics, mostly motorcycle-oriented fabrics, were tested and rated for abrasion resistance?

I would like to see this as well.

I have to say, after visiting Aerostich last weekend and seeing their "crash rack" I was very surprised, and slightly concerned. Realistically though these suits were the worst of the worst; 'stich will repair any suit they can and if they cannot they'll offer a new one at a discount. These suits are ones that could not be repaired that the owners didn't request be returned... and some of them were pretty drat nasty looking.

The material they use is definitely thicker than what's in my Firstgear Teton jacket and it's a bit freaky to think how it will hold up in the case of a crash. The TGP escape pants I got with the jacket seem to be pretty close to the thickness of the aerostich stuff. Interesting they would use different thicknesses of material on the the pants and jacket. I'm sure they will both be fine but it was a bit eye opening seeing all the ripped through material and a few torn seams on the aerostich stuff.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
To be fair, even the best racing leathers can get ripped to shreds in a bad crash. Aerostich and other textile gear offers us the best blend of safety, convenience, comfort and price. If ALL we cared about was abrasion resistance and safety, sure we'd all be wearing fitted leathers, but it's just not practical (or comfortable)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tsaven Nava posted:

Wiki has it, but they don't cite the source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_personal_protective_equipment#Textile_clothing

I know the page you're talking about though, but I can't find it either.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
http://www.gbfr.org/saveyourhide.pdf

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

Click here for the full 604x531 image.

In this picture, on my 6'5'', 190 lb. stature:
Scorpion EXO-700 helmet
Scorpion All-In Naked Jacket, XL
Knox Back Protector, full ridges
A*Stars Ridge waterproof boots
Tourmaster Caliber pants
Tourmaster Scarab winter gloves
Some random GAP scarf

Just as a heads up, my first winter riding I tried wearing a scarf like that, and it untangled itself and flew off me on the highway. So I'd suggest either tucking it in or or making drat sure that knot is not going to undo.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Just as a heads up, my first winter riding I tried wearing a scarf like that, and it untangled itself and flew off me on the highway. So I'd suggest either tucking it in or or making drat sure that knot is not going to undo.

Haha, I know. I had another scarf that did the same thing three weeks ago on the highway. So I certainly make drat sure that it's tied down tight.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 6, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I almost lost a scarf that way too. Learned to tie a knot in it real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

redscare posted:

I almost lost a scarf that way too. Learned to tie a knot in it real fast.

Alternative even dorkier (yet more practical) solution -- balaclava!