Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Oh god what did I just do.

1993 F2, just under 17k miles, guy on CL was asking 1600 I gave him 1500, took it for a test run, I love it so far, easy to engage, power down low is decent but after about 5-6k it just kinda turns up a notch. Body is clean runs super smooth. It's quite diffrent than the GS500. Seating is definitely leaned forward a bit but not uncomfortable. Tires and chain looked good. It was wet out so I didn't go too crazy. Pretty easy to ride overall it's quite a bump up in power from the GS500 though so took me a while to get used to the slight sensitivity of it all.

Could use a new brake handle, the current one is broken in half for some reason, but looks like it's about 22 bucks online.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

infraboy posted:

You did the right thing

infraboy posted:

1993 F2, just under 17k miles, guy on CL was asking 1600 I gave him 1500, took it for a test run, I love it so far, easy to engage, power down low is decent but after about 5-6k it just kinda turns up a notch. Body is clean runs super smooth. It's quite diffrent than the GS500. Seating is definitely leaned forward a bit but not uncomfortable. Tires and chain looked good. It was wet out so I didn't go too crazy. Pretty easy to ride overall it's quite a bump up in power from the GS500 though so took me a while to get used to the slight sensitivity of it all.

Could use a new brake handle, the current one is broken in half for some reason, but looks like it's about 22 bucks online.

That's a pretty sick bike right there. 4 cylinder race bikes have substantially more horsepower and engine braking as the RPMs step up until around red line. As long as you roll the throttle smoothly it'll never jerk around or do any funky stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bike's been down a few times but that happens at that age. Looks like it's in fairly good shape...were the valves checked at 15k like they should have been?

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

infraboy posted:

My buddy just sold his '93 CBR600, and he loved that thing to death. When I had my GS500 the CBR felt like a rocketship lol.

Assuming its been decently cared for you just did an awesome thing. They're great fun and quite easy to work on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hibajubwa posted:

Assuming its been decently cared for you just did an awesome thing. They're great fun and quite easy to work on.

Unless you have to do the valves. :argh: There's just a lot of annoying design decisions in the top end of the engine :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

1979 XS400 project

1996 XJ600 Seca II daily rider

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Might as well add another CBR 600 to the page, this one an F2 from 1994. 9,000 miles, purchased yesterday for $1,500.

Edit: And mine came with frame sliders, na-na-na poo poo, stick your head in doo-doo.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Edit: And mine came with frame sliders, na-na-na poo poo, stick your head in doo-doo.

Yea but you'll actually need them. :v:

The bike looks so sick though all black. Just remove the rear plate and you can do anything.

Edit: Oh wait, you already took the liberty.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

poo poo...WTF is a bike doing in my bedroom :iiam:

I need to stop browsing Craigslist at work. 2005 Honda crf50 with a ridiculous amount of money thrown at it. Aftermarket suspension, frame, swing arm, handlebars, wheels, brakes, exhaust, some engine work, etc. The motor is in pieces and needs to be put back together but looks to be in good shape.

Needs tires, throttle/cable and some other misc stuff. I plan to play with it as is for a bit then get some sumo tires for it and race with the rest of the people in the area.

A bit of an update. My room mate got home and noticed the frame sitting in my room. He mentions he has a Lifan 125cc that I can use while I rebuild the current engine which appears to be a 88cc.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That is awesome. I have a friend who's done the same, and he says it's both terrifying and amazing at the same time...

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

1979 XS400 project

1996 XJ600 Seca II daily rider

Hehe. I'm Café-ing my Seca II as we speak. Exact same model, color, year, everything as yours.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo...WTF is a bike doing in my bedroom :iiam:

What happened here?? guh GUUHHH!??! :psyboom:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

shipwrek posted:

What happened here?? guh GUUHHH!??! :psyboom:

Started as a 2005 crf50. Add different frame, swing arm, shocks, handlebars, etc and you get something that looks like that.

Put the Lifan engine in last night, need to figure out wiring. Room mate is looking for tires (slicks), will likely be using a spare set of gsxr controls in an attempt to get it running tonight.

\/\/ agreed, I don't understand why someone would throw that much money into a 50. I got the bike for what he paid for the fancy swing arm.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 3, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even when explained in detail, the only appropriate reaction is guh GUUHHH!??! :psyboom:

phiglit_missally
Jun 10, 2004

Mostly Harmless
Good to see another 'tona 2010 SE on here. Glad I don't have the only one. (forgot I already posted a pic of mine. Oops).

phiglit_missally fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 4, 2010

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New exhaust installed! The OEM Jardine clamp was crap, so I put a Mega Clamp lap-joint clamp on it, and it's all good in the hood...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I love the simplicity of those bikes. Also belt drive is awesome.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
New Bike for me...$500.
Well, actually, upon discussing it with Jendywo, it's more likely a new bike for *her*, and I'll inherit Gorky (her '82 XS400 Maxim).
1982 SR250

Needs the typical things for a bike that spent the last year in a storage shed - new battery ($40 at Batteries Plus, I'll pick it up tomorrow night), cleaning the carb, replacing the tires.
The tank is munched on the left side where it got knocked over - directly onto a curb. It's not nearly as bad in person as it looks in the photo. It's maybe 1/4" deep, tops? Still holds gas.

I figure I'll put miles on it (or the XS400) commuting and skill-building, then sell it off (perhaps next spring) for more than I paid for it.

Alternately, there's a part of me that's whispering 'cafeeeeeeeee' in my ear.

twizzler
Feb 15, 2001

Imperador do Brasil posted:

New exhaust installed! The OEM Jardine clamp was crap, so I put a Mega Clamp lap-joint clamp on it, and it's all good in the hood...

What did you use to adjust the EFI after installing the Jardine? Or are you running with the stock map?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Red Rocket Lightning

Whats up Buell + Jardine buddy? I'm usually not a fan of overly loud bikes, but the PO put the pipe on mine, and I like it so much I just can't change it back.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

twizzler posted:

What did you use to adjust the EFI after installing the Jardine? Or are you running with the stock map?

According to everything I read, it's ok to use the stock map with just a slip-on, but if I modify the intake at all, I should run the Buell Race ECM.

Stormangel posted:

Whats up Buell + Jardine buddy? I'm usually not a fan of overly loud bikes, but the PO put the pipe on mine, and I like it so much I just can't change it back.
I took it out for a test ride yesterday and it was louder than I expected, even after starting it up in the garage to check for leaks. It seems to lose a tiny bit of low-down torque, but I think I can live with that, given that it's got more torque than most other sport bikes. (also, it's Sunset Orange)

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 5, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

laymil posted:

Future plans are simply to clean it up a bit and possibly new paint on the fairings and tank.
I rode one of those not long ago, the first inline 4 I've ever ridden.
Made some great noises redlining!

My 2003 sv1000s, it was metallic Silver until a car driver knocked me off last year.
There it is, sans fairing and with GSXR forks, and some other minor bits.

I'm going to fit lighter wheels, flat bars, have the frame powder coated black, and find some nice way to ditch the standard clocks.
In my fantasy world where I can afford all that, I'll buy a big bang R1 motor and build a special out of that as well, so it has some company in the garage.

Fake edit - yea I bumped an old thread. But to the guy above who will never read this, up until a certain age of Buell, you can remap the standard ECU easily.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 7, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jabs posted:

Yamahammy stuff

UJM! UJM! UJM!

Ride that poo poo.

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007

According to everything I read, it's ok to use the stock map with just a slip-on, but if I modify the intake at all, I should run the Buell Race ECM.

I took it out for a test ride yesterday and it was louder than I expected, even after starting it up in the garage to check for leaks. It seems to lose a tiny bit of low-down torque, but I think I can live with that, given that it's got more torque than most other sport bikes. (also, it's Sunset Orange)

My friend has an XB12s w/Jardine, and he bought a Jardine QMI (baffle), and it made a great improvement. Same sound, just less volume... I'd recommend you check it out. http://tinyurl.com/yk2kzgs

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

PyxlWyz posted:

My friend has an XB12s w/Jardine, and he bought a Jardine QMI (baffle), and it made a great improvement. Same sound, just less volume... I'd recommend you check it out.

I wondered if those were worth it. I never found anyone with first hand experience with one so I was wary of shelling out $40 for an aluminum ring.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

blackstar posted:

Fake edit - yea I bumped an old thread. But to the guy above who will never read this, up until a certain age of Buell, you can remap the standard ECU easily.

And why would I never read it? I plan on remapping at some point either way, since I'm also planning on doing airbox changes at some point. The muffler was just a late birthday present to myself.

PyxlWyz posted:

My friend has an XB12s w/Jardine, and he bought a Jardine QMI (baffle), and it made a great improvement. Same sound, just less volume... I'd recommend you check it out. http://tinyurl.com/yk2kzgs

Yeah it was optional when I bought this can and I wasn't sure about spending the $38. I think the loudness is growing on me now. I guess if I get annoyed with the volume when the bike is getting ridden every day then I'll get it.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 7, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Here are some iPhone pics of my "new-to-me" 2002 Yamaha R6. Luckily a friend owns a car hauling trailer. I can't imagine trying to ride one of these in the snow/salt/ice meh...

The PO threw in a set of leathers and a matching helmet. They may be a little big on me! (Naw, it's my son who is aspiring to be a biker)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crayvex posted:

Here are some iPhone pics of my "new-to-me" 2002 Yamaha R6. Luckily a friend owns a car hauling trailer. I can't imagine trying to ride one of these in the snow/salt/ice meh...

The PO threw in a set of leathers and a matching helmet. They may be a little big on me! (Naw, it's my son who is aspiring to be a biker)

Ha ha! He's like a bobble head!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

My wife thought he looked like a Mighty Mugg!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

And why would I never read it?
NM, I was being retarded and read the last post date as being 2005(!).

I've never ridden a belt drive motorcycle. Is the feel the same as a well adjusted chain? Do they have, or need, a cush drive in the back wheel?

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

My brother in the red with the 2000 r6, me in the back with my k3 gsx-r600 and our buddies gsx-750. It was my brothers first bike and first time riding his bike he just bought.
I know it's lame to have the helmets on your seat in a picture but I'm not moving them just to take a quick phone picture.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Whiteboy posted:

My brother in the red with the 2000 r6, me in the back with my k3 gsx-r600 and our buddies gsx-750. It was my brothers first bike and first time riding his bike he just bought.
I know it's lame to have the helmets on your seat in a picture but I'm not moving them just to take a quick phone picture.

No clue why it would be considered lame. I think having pics of any memorable trip is worth capturing. Even if I am the first on any trip to completely forget I have a camera with me. :bang:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

blackstar posted:

I've never ridden a belt drive motorcycle. Is the feel the same as a well adjusted chain? Do they have, or need, a cush drive in the back wheel?

It feels a little smoother to me than a chain, plus there's less noise. I never looked to see if there's a cush drive, but I believe there is still probably one present. I like the belt because there's no "maintenance" on the belt other than regular inspections.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

blackstar posted:

The change in drive mechanism is barely noticeable once you rev up the the paint shaker of an engine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crayvex posted:

What are those tyres? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me they aren't the originals. Also, your son is awesome.

Whiteboy posted:

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but booots!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if you're out for a spin, not just kicking round town.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

As far as the tires are concerned, they may very well be the originals. Unfortunately it's in heated storage so I can't just run out to the garage and look.

And yes, my son is totally awesome!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Got my CBR1000 Dynoed today. Here's the chart:

:krad:

Edit: oops, image quality too low to see torque line.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 13, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you gotten the oil burning issue sorted out yet?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

Have you gotten the oil burning issue sorted out yet?

I haven't even drove it 50 miles since I made that post. I am waiting to drive at least 250 miles and maybe 500 miles to see if the issue comes up.

Also it turns out there's a recall when I called Honda about the issue. My clutch plate and coolant hose has to be inspected and possibly replaced, for free at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Ride and glide!

I do admit that a GS is not the best choice for 2 wheeled wintardation, its too drat heavy and a pig to turn around in the parking lot, and the ABS isn't really intended for glare ice, snow and slush. It's what I have for now though, so work it will

See, even the sign tells me I need a chain, not a shaft.