Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So if I were to buy an 8 Gig iPod what would I be missing besides faster performance and more memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Calaveron posted:

So if I were to buy an 8 Gig iPod what would I be missing besides faster performance and more memory?

Microphone input.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Microphone input.

You can use a microphone on the 2g hardware.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hmm, you're right, but I notice on the iPod web site that the 3G 8Gb doesn't ship with the microphone earbuds. So, beats me.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
So, for some reason lately everytime I disconnect my Ipod from my computer, regardless of if I changed the content on it, it tries to update the new songs on the Ipod, often taking an absurdly long time.

It tried doing this today when I didn't add any songs to it, and 10 minutes later I got tired of it and shut it off. Now I can't turn it back on, it just stays at the apple screen. I've tried resetting it. I've tried going to recovery mode. I've tried letting it sit for a bit, and doing it again. Nothing.

Other than going to Apple, and having them wipe the slate clean, do I have any options? I'd rather not dig through my collection to add the 5000 songs on here again.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
err...after leaving it on for like an hour with a blank apple screen, it decided it would stop being stupid.

I have a real love / hate relationship with this thing.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hmm, you're right, but I notice on the iPod web site that the 3G 8Gb doesn't ship with the microphone earbuds. So, beats me.

The 3G 8gb is the 2G, just with OS 3.0 installed.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Mine does that too. Also sometimes it's difficult to figure out what the heck it's doing sync wise, probably because the computer I have iTunes on is old and slightly below its awkwardly high minimum specs. Anyway I just leave it alone and wander off and do something else till it's done.

Really is a pain if you're trying to do something quickly before you leave though.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I just found an amazing app (it's possible everybody knows about it but me) called AirVideo. It let's you stream practically any video file from your computer over the internet or wifi to your ipod with live conversion. Over wifi my videos buffer in about 15 seconds! I'm not sure what the difference between the free and pro versions are (I have the pro version, $2.99).

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
you might want to check the OP of the iPhone app thread, as its a pretty well known streaming staple.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Does the iPod touch support Avi? I'm trying to add some videos I have in my computer, but to begin with iTunes won't allow me to add it to the library. I drag and drop the video from the Explorer, or I import the file to the library, and it'll let me, but nothing shows up on iTunes.
What gives?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Does the iPod touch support Avi? I'm trying to add some videos I have in my computer, but to begin with iTunes won't allow me to add it to the library. I drag and drop the video from the Explorer, or I import the file to the library, and it'll let me, but nothing shows up on iTunes.
What gives?

AVI is not supported by iTunes, it's a pretty poo poo format anyways. It doesn't take that much time to convert to MP4 anyways. I can convert a 30-minute long video to MP4 using Handbrake on a 3 GHz C2D in 5 minutes.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

you might want to check the OP of the iPhone app thread, as its a pretty well known streaming staple.

You just had to go and ruin all of my fun. :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Godzilla07 posted:

AVI is not supported by iTunes, it's a pretty poo poo format anyways. It doesn't take that much time to convert to MP4 anyways. I can convert a 30-minute long video to MP4 using Handbrake on a 3 GHz C2D in 5 minutes.

Explain further
By which I mean what format can iPod play and is there a way of turning my avis into that format?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 31, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Calaveron posted:

Explain further
By which I mean what format can iPod play and is there a way of turning my avis into that format?

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

and a free program called Handbrake is pretty good for conversions.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

and a free program called Handbrake is pretty good for conversions.

I'm more curious as to why you think avi is a poo poo format.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
Need a little bit of help with my iTouch. The thing is a first gen, still worked fine until a couple of days ago. Plugged it in to a friend's car audio system (the cord for which was the long rectangular slit on the bottom instead of the headphone input) and the iPod became unusually hot. I pulled out the plug after it apparently overheated my 'pod and caused it to reset. I waited a couple of minutes or so for it to cool down before foolishly trying again, and the same thing happened, except this time the "Recovery Mode" screen was showing (the USB plug pic and the text "Connect to iTunes").

So I get home, fire up iTunes, plug it in, and hit "Restore" like it tells me to. It extracts the data from the new iPod software I just downloaded, then the Apple logo and a progress bar show up on my iPod and iTunes says "Waiting for iPod". Except after the progress bar fills, nothing happens. I've let it sit for literally hours and there is no change - just a filled progress bar and iTunes saying "Waiting for iPod".

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Somehow force a system restore? When I plug it in now Windows tells me it doesn't recognize the device, and it won't show up in iTunes anymore :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I would not be surprised if in the next few generations of Touch we see a GPS and ability for data plans to access the internet anywhere, and then the only thing missing is the ability to call people. You can already buy devices that give this ability for your touch, PDA's, and laptops, but it's expensive right now.

Hey, don't mean to rub it in but do you all remember how I said I wanted an ipod touch with the data plan? this is pretty much exactly what happened last week and you all said I was crazy. :smug:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I was running my 1G touch jailbroken for a few days then all of the sudden my Wi-Fi stopped working. I did a restore and Wi-Fi still doesn't work at all, even if I'm next to my router. My BlackBerry, iMac and desktop in the living room work just fine with Wi-Fi. Is it safe to say that my Wi-Fi is dead? I've reset the network settings and such already.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I said come in! posted:

Hey, don't mean to rub it in but do you all remember how I said I wanted an ipod touch with the data plan? this is pretty much exactly what happened last week and you all said I was crazy. :smug:

Let me know when said device can fit in my pocket :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Let me know when said device can fit in my pocket :colbert:

Haha, fair enough. I would like that too.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Major problem here - my Touch has stopped syncing playlists properly. I've restored from backup twice, and just now from scratch, and it's still leaving some playlists absent or empty even though it clearly copied over the music. Any ideas? It must be the iTunes or iPod updates that have messed things up, I figure.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Nihiliste posted:

Major problem here - my Touch has stopped syncing playlists properly. I've restored from backup twice, and just now from scratch, and it's still leaving some playlists absent or empty even though it clearly copied over the music. Any ideas? It must be the iTunes or iPod updates that have messed things up, I figure.

Have you tried reinstalling an older version of iTunes to test your theory?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Super Dude posted:

Have you tried reinstalling an older version of iTunes to test your theory?

Not yet; might be worth a go at this rate. I assume that wouldn't have problems with the Touch 3.1.3 code?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hello folks, haven't read anything in this thread but the OP, so apologies if this is the top post on every page. I'm in the market for an iPod touch 32GB, as my trusty nano just isn't cutting it anymore with its 16GB storage. The Wikipedia page on the iPod touch says the second gen version has better battery life for audio playback than the third gen version. Is this accurate? Overall, which generation of iPod touch is recommended?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hello folks, haven't read anything in this thread but the OP, so apologies if this is the top post on every page.

God I miss when this was bannable.

quote:

I'm in the market for an iPod touch 32GB, as my trusty nano just isn't cutting it anymore with its 16GB storage. The Wikipedia page on the iPod touch says the second gen version has better battery life for audio playback than the third gen version. Is this accurate? Overall, which generation of iPod touch is recommended?

The newest has a faster processor, mic input, and can be bought with a warranty. Buy the newest.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

God I miss when this was bannable.
Relax.

TheScott2K posted:

The newest has a faster processor, mic input, and can be bought with a warranty. Buy the newest.

Ok thanks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you're mostly using it for music, battery life should not be an issue. It's when you're playing movies, and using the wifi that eats into it. I use mine for music in 8 hour chunks some days and it doesn't even seem to dent the battery meter.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

If you're mostly using it for music, battery life should not be an issue. It's when you're playing movies, and using the wifi that eats into it. I use mine for music in 8 hour chunks some days and it doesn't even seem to dent the battery meter.
Music'll be the main reason I'm using it. The odd time I'll watch video podcasts of the ones I subscribe to but I doubt I'll use the other features much at all. Ideally I'd love just a nano with 32GB storage but I doubt they'll push those out until the capacity of the touch models starts hitting 80GB and more.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
So I got a new iPod touch yesterday and it was pretty awesome until it crapped out on me. I was stupid and decided to pull the iPod off the USB cable instead of disconnecting it through the computer first and when I went to restore it I kept getting these 1611 errors. I have tried everything in the book and googled the hell out of the issue but nothing has worked so far. Is there something that I may have missed that might work? The last option I have is to try a different computer but other than that I've done everything (firmware, reinstall itunes, DFU mode, restart computer, change usp ports, log in as a new computer user).

Also, what the hell happens if I can't get it to work? It's brand new but I bought it off CL to save about 70 bucks, but as a result, I don't have a recipe for it. Can I really be screwed out of 150 bucks because of this dumb error? Thanks for any help guys.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'm guessing you've seen this already, but: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

And not that it helps, but I've disconnected my Touch hundreds of times without "ejecting" it, with no ill effects.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any recommended place to get a cheap iPod USB cable? Mine is starting to break... pretty much a year of wear and tear of pulling it out by the cord and not the base I think.

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009
Monoprice (although it locks in so you can't pull it out by the cord, sorry).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

OneZeroSix posted:

So I got a new iPod touch yesterday and it was pretty awesome until it crapped out on me. I was stupid and decided to pull the iPod off the USB cable instead of disconnecting it through the computer first and when I went to restore it I kept getting these 1611 errors. I have tried everything in the book and googled the hell out of the issue but nothing has worked so far. Is there something that I may have missed that might work? The last option I have is to try a different computer but other than that I've done everything (firmware, reinstall itunes, DFU mode, restart computer, change usp ports, log in as a new computer user).
When I get weird stuff like this happening to my iPod, I just format the thing via Windows Explorer (presumably Disk Utility if you're on a Mac). The only time this hasn't sorted the problem was when I was running various x64 builds of Windows 7 during the beta period.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Dear WattsvilleBlues:

You did a bad thing. Not only did you not read the thread, but then you admitted to not reading the thread and asked your question anyway. Looking back at your history, it appears that you have been probated twice before, titled by a mod, and had a gassed thread - all over rules you should have known. However, as I am in a good mood today, I am going to give you a warning instead of just probating you.

Please don't do stupid poo poo.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

Dear WattsvilleBlues:

You did a bad thing. Not only did you not read the thread, but then you admitted to not reading the thread and asked your question anyway. Looking back at your history, it appears that you have been probated twice before, titled by a mod, and had a gassed thread - all over rules you should have known. However, as I am in a good mood today, I am going to give you a warning instead of just probating you.

Please don't do stupid poo poo.

Cheers. Legitimate question though - I don't have search on the forums and reading through an 80-page thread isn't really practical. Is the nomenclature just to ask the question anyway but not mention not reading the thread?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers. Legitimate question though - I don't have search on the forums and reading through an 80-page thread isn't really practical. Is the nomenclature just to ask the question anyway but not mention not reading the thread?

Google first. If the question is tricky enough that a decent Googling effort doesn't do the trick then I'd just ask. Practice by googling "nomenclature."

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Godzilla07 posted:

I was running my 1G touch jailbroken for a few days then all of the sudden my Wi-Fi stopped working.

Are you able to at least scan for networks? Try installing SBsettings and flipping wifi on and off, if you can scan but cannot connect it's likely a configuration issue with your network.

Godzilla07 posted:

AVI is not supported by iTunes, it's a pretty poo poo format anyways. It doesn't take that much time to convert to MP4 anyways.

AVI is a container format, it's as good as the codec is. It's not any better or worse than MP4, no matter how much Apple uses it (I know you want it to be superior).

TheScott2K posted:

Google first. If the question is tricky enough that a decent Googling effort doesn't do the trick then I'd just ask. Practice by googling "nomenclature."

Haha gently caress.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm guessing you've seen this already, but: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

And not that it helps, but I've disconnected my Touch hundreds of times without "ejecting" it, with no ill effects.

Yeah I did every thing on that list and finally got around to trying to restore it on another computer and it worked, so I was happy about that. I'm getting another error (0x8n00000 or something) but at least I know my iPod isn't completely hosed. I used to detach my nano from the computer all the time but I think I might have done it to my touch during some type of software update or something, because it acted up right after.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Format

That's a pretty decent idea, think I might try that in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
What is the hands down easiest way to take a DVD video and get it onto an iPod Touch? Not looking for a tutorial, rather the best software to get this done. I don't really care about cost or bells and whistles. Basically I have to give this software to one of our clients and I don't want him calling me every time he tries to use the software.

- Insert DVD
- Press 1 or 2 buttons
- Wait a long time
- Drag video file into Itunes

This would be the ideal situation.

• Locked thread