Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Is it better than the MS-20 filters? I've been looking for a new workhorse filter, the MS-20 is abit overkill sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Oiled and Ready posted:

OK So I've been digging around trying to find some good things to sample, trying to expand beyond what youd usually look for, this is built around a loop from a song in "A Goofy Movie" i chopped up. The music in it was actually surprisingly not bad.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/wcug

Did this from start to finish with lovely earbuds so the bass may (will be) off. Apologies in advance.

This is fun, reminds me of VHS Head a bit. You're not wrong about the mixing, though, and something about the reverb bugs me a little.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Is it better than the MS-20 filters? I've been looking for a new workhorse filter, the MS-20 is abit overkill sometimes.
Yeah, I think so.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Well god drat that is just lovely, buying this for sure!

Here's a sample for the fencesitters. Recorded some movement on a pad patch:

Be careful with the volume near the end, it will cut your head off!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Quick question: I'm vacillating between Ableton Live 8 Regular and Ableton Live 8 Suite edition. Is that Suite edition worth the extra three hundred bucks? I was planning on buying Live and then shelling out for some vsts or other plugins as needed, but if Suite is comprehensive enough that i wouldn't have to, that would be good.

Opinions from Live users?

Also, I'm willing to be lured away from Live if there is something markedly better out there.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

Quick question: I'm vacillating between Ableton Live 8 Regular and Ableton Live 8 Suite edition. Is that Suite edition worth the extra three hundred bucks? I was planning on buying Live and then shelling out for some vsts or other plugins as needed, but if Suite is comprehensive enough that i wouldn't have to, that would be good.

Also, I'm willing to be lured away from Live if there is something markedly better out there.
I originally purchased vanilla Live, and I eventually upgraded to suite. Sampler is awesome. It boils down to preference, though. You can just buy some of the native Live stuff on its own if you feel you need it.

Figure out what ones you think you might need and do the math to figure out if it's worth it for you.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Anal Surgery posted:

id get the suite, itll have you makin music for a long time. you will eventually want to upgrade but its great for startin out.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

oredun posted:

id get the suite, itll have you makin music for a long time. you will eventually want to upgrade but its great for startin out.

SAMPLER is worth the money alone. Add in operator and you can do anything.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Well god drat that is just lovely, buying this for sure!

Here's a sample for the fencesitters. Recorded some movement on a pad patch:

Be careful with the volume near the end, it will cut your head off!

I got Volcano a while back bought it off a friend who never used it. MONEY MONEY MONEY! It made me get their awesome delay plugin Timeless and it is so worth it.

Timeless is pretty much my favorite thing ever .

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
Hey guys, I've been producing for about a year and a half, but I don't know anyone else who's that into it so it's tough to get good feedback.

Here's two songs I've been working on lately:

Click here to download Neon lowq.mp3

Click here to download Caracol lowq.mp3

Any feedback is appreciated!

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

I know the vox are sidechained to fuckin hell, basically I got the instrumental all laid out really perfectly with vox I know I can't really use so I'm scrambling trying to find something else to put over it and imogen heap's poo poo is so fuckin busy it doesn't hold up without the sidechainin. That said if anyone knows anything that might gel with this instrumental or knows people who do vox, let me knowwwwwwwwwww.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Instead of sidechaining to hell, why not use a trancegate-kind of thing in a retro 1994 ironic way, and then continue when "It's that time of year". Instead of sidechaining everything, just sidechain everything that's not in the lead's frequency range. Also, put a break in at the "I think something's burning" because it's the best spot to do it.

also eq the gently caress out of it and throw in some autotune at selected spots if that even matters :v:

you know

because you can

For what it's worth I really like the start here and you should be able to hawk it as some whitelabel kind of thingy.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 20, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Instead of sidechaining to hell, why not use a trancegate-kind of thing in a retro 1994 ironic way, and then continue when "It's that time of year". Instead of sidechaining everything, just sidechain everything that's not in the lead's frequency range. Also, put a break in at the "I think something's burning" because it's the best spot to do it.

also eq the gently caress out of it and throw in some autotune at selected spots if that even matters :v:

you know

because you can

For what it's worth I really like the start here and you should be able to hawk it as some whitelabel kind of thingy.
Great advice as usual, on my laptop working in town on new stuff but will try this out when I get home. And though I loving love the autotune idea idk how well that'll work considering at any one time, there'y like 6 vocal lines going on in the acapella :argh:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Separate post for new material/bumpage:

Seriously I'm gonna travel back in time 20 years and it will be awesome and I will be famous.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

mezzir posted:

Seriously I'm gonna travel back in time 20 years and it will be awesome and I will be famous.

What the hell possessed you to make that? It's awesome as hell. Maybe a little less processing on the vocals to give it a true 80's sound?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mezzir posted:

This is amazing.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Ty to both of the above posts and sorry for completely whoring this thread but better than a new thread cluttering things up I suppose?

Anyways, trying to wrap this track up, in the same vein as the above:

It's for a remix contest Run The Red Light is having (http://www.facebook.com/runtheredlight?v=app_6009294086 / http://runtheredlight.ca)

Anyways, the deadline's not until January 31st but I want to get this one in asap as I have another I'm working on, and they're putting submissions up to listen to so the week and a half of good press in theory could help for my chances / get people to listen to my poo poo.

So, that said, anyone got any feedback for this track?

edit: gently caress it i'll finish the flood:

This is the other track I'm working on for the same contest, same deal, getting nearish to done but could definitely use feedback from people who haven't heard of it.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 21, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
im limited to like 8kbps presently so cant listen, did you fix the stereo image?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Haha yeah I did, other stuff as well.

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

mezzir posted:

This is completely ridiculous. I went back to surfing after hitting that link and when the music stopped I brought up my music player wondering why the music stopped. I had forgotten I was listening to a song some random goon put up on the internet and thought it was a song I had paid money to listen to.

The time machine would be a very good investment.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

mezzir posted:

This is excellent! Who did the vocals?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mezzir posted:

Great advice as usual

Thanks. Still digging the original version. Can't wait for my new car stereo that I can jam an USB stick in so I can put it on permanent rotation.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

mezzir posted:

This is pretty nice but I think it still could use some tweaking.

Something about the kick drum isn't working for me, either it's out of key with the rest of the song and/or it's got a little too much upper midrange click or something. It sort of sticks out more than it should.

Also, I think things get way too busy during the chorus, it makes the song feel much too crowded and almost a little oppressive. You might want to think about rolling back the tempo, and thinning out the instrumentation during the chorus (plus I'm not entirely sure everything is interacting well harmonically with each other).

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i really liked it

GVP
Oct 17, 2005

No se balien men, no se balien... Para poder baliarse hay q saber con quien

mezzir posted:

Awesome! Welcome to my ipod...

I'm looking for someone to collab with me in a new project

What do you guys think?

GVP fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 22, 2010

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Slowly but surely getting better at this. I've been having a bit of trouble finding a bass sound I like, but I can only really use a couple of synths properly as it is. Sytrus is one hell of a tool.

Edit: I haven't got band limiters on anything, so it's probably a bit loving rough.

Edit2: Further revisions, sounds a shitload better now, actually has a flow.

I'd really appreciate some feedback.

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 23, 2010

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

mezzir posted:

edit: gently caress it i'll finish the flood:

This is the other track I'm working on for the same contest, same deal, getting nearish to done but could definitely use feedback from people who haven't heard of it.
Here's my version of this so far:

And I'm not reusing a track I already did :colbert:

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini

quote:

Another question. If I'm going to for electronica and trance music, is Logic or ProTools going to really give me any advantage over Ableton as a workshop, not as a tool I can use to DJ live?

I have both Logic 9 and Live 8.0 Suite. I love Logic because its a whole lot easier to produce a high quality sound. It's a pretty complex but its worth its weight in gold with the results you can get from it. I find the stuff I make in Logic sounds a whole lot better than the stuff with Live (Granted I've spent more time developing my skills in Logic vs Live).

I primarily use Live for the APC40 controller. I make most of my clips in Logic, and then bring them into Live. So I primarily use it as a DJ tool. If you can afford it I would suggest getting Logic, and then getting Live intro. Also these software have steep academic discounts as well.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Jerky Beef Kong posted:

Please finish this.

My buddy came over for about 3 hours today and we got a big chunk more of this done, plus some remixing and polishing. We're thinking of calling this track Fine Print and ourselves Depth of Field so keep an eye out!

We plan to extend it a bit further and have a breakdown immediately after where we are now, a slow build up to that grungy bit, the popcorny bit again and then end it.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

I've been working on a little D&B tune for the past couple days and would like to know what you guys make of it. It started when I recorded myself playing some funky guitar chords into Logic - I think it's pretty different from a lot of D&B tunes. It's a pretty fun track, but although I can tell that the arrangement is lacking, I'm not sure how to improve it. Arranging tracks is probably the thing I'm worst at, so any tips would be very much appreciated!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
My workhorse headphones bit the dust while making this and I'm not quite used to the way my new headphones sound so hopefully I didn't make a fatal error while mixing it. Also playing with some different vsts than I'm used to.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

makin dubstep again

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

trill rear end posted:

makin dubstep again

yes

haha amens, sick

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet
I just started really getting into making electronic music and started programming my own sounds, learning a little bit about mixing, etc. However, the speakers AND headphones I have right now are garbage. This is still a work in progress, definitely needs some embellishments and stuff, but I was hoping you guys could help tell me where to improve. It's progressive/electro house:

sorry for low bit rate, since it's a work in progress I figured it didn't matter TOO much?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Project Lithium posted:

I just started really getting into making electronic music and started programming my own sounds, learning a little bit about mixing, etc. However, the speakers AND headphones I have right now are garbage. This is still a work in progress, definitely needs some embellishments and stuff, but I was hoping you guys could help tell me where to improve. It's progressive/electro house:

sorry for low bit rate, since it's a work in progress I figured it didn't matter TOO much?

you can start by dropping the bass OSC's down an octave, tighten amp Decay/sustain and closing the filter abit. add more sounds, spread it out.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
couple of my new bits:

dub techno

new mixdown of this techno thing

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

trill rear end posted:

makin dubstep again

drat, that sounds so good. I've got a long rear end way to go.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Someone recommend me a really nice reverb plugin!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Aether
Eos is more limited but good at it's particular thing
VariVerb Pro is a good one that's not as well known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

breaks posted:

Aether
Eos is more limited but good at it's particular thing