Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

h_double posted:

That doesn't quite work. If you want two MIDI tracks to play through the same plugin, you actually need three tracks: an instrument track ("piano") with Monitor set to "In", and two MIDI tracks "left hand" and "right hand", each of which has MIDI output pointing to "piano".

Whoops, sorry about that. I just assumed without testing it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonekora
Sep 11, 2001

gurf
I've had live for a couple weeks now and I've been learning a lot about it. One feature I really like is Looper, unfortunately I don't know if I'm being an idiot or what, I just don't seem to get how to use it right. I've got its main button (record, ovr, play) mapped to my footswitch through my Korg padKontrol, and when I play, say a 2 bar drum loop, it loops it and goes into overdub, but there's seemingly no way to choose when it starts recording and ends other than precisely hitting the pedal at just the right time.

In the videos I've watched when people use Looper, it always seems like they get perfect loops every time. Mine have silence before and after them. Is there a setting I'm missing to get Looper to start recording when you play the first note? I've read all the documentation and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Hey, what's the best reverb plug out there? I'm not a fan of Live's native one.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

The "best"? I haven't heard anything that's better than vss3 and dvr2 from tc electronic, but they don't run natively. You'd need either a system 6000 ($9000) or a powercore with the licenses ($1000).

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Okay, how about one that I can use in Ableton natively?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Afro Thunder posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a glitch type VST? Beat repeater just isn't hacking it and Lucifer isn't available anymore.

Windows Only :(
Bit late on this, but I always tend to do this the old-school effortful bespoke way:

1. Slice the clips to beats (y'should get your workflow practised so this literally takes seconds in Live),
2. Map the clip slices to a keyboard split with an arpeggiator against them.
3. Apply or build a big ol' effects rack on the channel with lots of reverse, granular delay, pitch-shift, distortion, whatever-you-fancy.
4. Map each effect's on/off to notes above the keyboard split, and map primary parameters to MIDI knobs.
5. Jam down chords to arpeggiate the beat slices with one hand whilst the other chord triggers effects on and off, parameters tweaked by hand or foot pedal, assigned knob, whatever.
6. Get lost in sound sculpture fun land.
7. Remember to hit record and chop out good bits later*.

* I can never be bothered with this. Please do yourself!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Okay, how about one that I can use in Ableton natively?

I'm not sure if they're still offering it for free, but try the T.C. Electronic M30. It's only got some Hall plugins, but I find it pretty effective. I'm not a big fan of the native Live reverb, either.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not sure if they're still offering it for free, but try the T.C. Electronic M30. It's only got some Hall plugins, but I find it pretty effective. I'm not a big fan of the native Live reverb, either.

that was just a 3 day promo

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Say I have an audio clip on one track and my guitar going into another track. Is there some way I can change effects parameters on the clip track based on what I'm playing on my guitar? Specifically, I was wanting to do a sort of filter sweep on another track, but with the frequency being based on how high or low I go in pitch when playing guitar. Is this at all possible?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

TylerK posted:

Say I have an audio clip on one track and my guitar going into another track. Is there some way I can change effects parameters on the clip track based on what I'm playing on my guitar? Specifically, I was wanting to do a sort of filter sweep on another track, but with the frequency being based on how high or low I go in pitch when playing guitar. Is this at all possible?

You could probably do this with Max4Live; there are already a bunch of Max/MSP pitch tracking objects out there.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

There's no such thing as "best". There are always budget constraints, and choices for a certain character - precision of convolution, or artificial lushness of algorithmic.

Give http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/product.php?pid=AD023 a try.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I've been using Ambience and it seems fine: http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/#effects

The interface is a little ugly but eh

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

http://www.2caudio.com/products/aether/index.html

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=163

The lexicon one is seriously nice. I use 2c aether. The interface is HUGE but its major fun.

Check out speakerphone for major shits and giggles. http://www.audioease.com/

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

A powercore with a system 6000 bundle is cheaper than that lexicon bundle, and you get a ton of plugins, not just the system 6000 reverbs.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
Aether is looking like it's the winner. It's almost exactly what I was looking for.

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005

I didn't know reverb could do that..

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

rustyw posted:

I didn't know reverb could do that..

Yeah here is what they say.

Don't be limited to only that which you can capture with a microphone. Why contract NASA to build you a $10 billion, 1000-meter geodesic dome made out of the latest nano-material buckyballs to provide a negative refractive index so that you can run your sine sweep impulse through it and capture a static IR? Instead, simply use Aether in some extreme settings to achieve the result you are after. Want a 120 second reverb that decays quickly in the mid range, but sustains more in the highs? Need a reverb that decays infinitely in a one octave mid-range band while all other frequencies fall always quickly, and at the same time reverses it's panning of the late reflections? No problem. Have it your way! You are limited only by your imagination.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx5L3kOoRA

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm loving this program more and more every time I record. gently caress you protools.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm having some trouble setting up some basic effect sends (verb and delay for now). Does anyone have any tutorials that takes you through setting this up?

I've made a seperate track, tossed my reverb on there, then routed my audio track to the verb track, but I can't hear it unless the track is armed. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.

breaks
May 12, 2001

They are a special kind of track in Live. It sounds like you are adding an audio track, and you want to add a return track instead. After you add it, it should show up on the right side, just to the left of the master track. Each return track will get its own send knob on your normal tracks. The leftmost of the return tracks is always A and they always go sequentially through the alphabet from there.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I work mainly in the arrangement view, how can I add plugins to the return tracks that I just created from there? It seems to be a little more intuitive in session view.

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 5, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

I'm having some trouble setting up some basic effect sends (verb and delay for now). Does anyone have any tutorials that takes you through setting this up?

I've made a seperate track, tossed my reverb on there, then routed my audio track to the verb track, but I can't hear it unless the track is armed. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.

For a send/return buss, put the effects on one of the returns on the right (the columns labeled A and B), and use the per-track send dials to route per-track signals to them (if you don't see this stuff, make sure the little "S" and "R" buttons on the right hand side are lit.

If you are routing one track to another (like multiple outs of a drum sampler or whatever), the destination track needs to have Monitor set to "In" (if Monitor is set to "Auto", you'll only be able to hear it if the track is armed to record).

EDIT: woot beaten

pennywisdom posted:

Ah there we go. Where do they show up in arrangment view?

the return tracks show up if you click the little "R" button on the right side of Arrangement view

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

h_double posted:

the return tracks show up if you click the little "R" button on the right side of Arrangement view

Perfect, thanks a ton!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:aaaaa:

That is amazing. You just cost me $250.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I'm re-reading the thread and just came across this video tutorial posted way back. He's using the autofilter and delay on the master track to get some hold effect happening and I'm just wondering how I can automate the feedback and mix of the delay to the frequency of the autofilter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n3LSqb0wU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

I'm re-reading the thread and just came across this video tutorial posted way back. He's using the autofilter and delay on the master track to get some hold effect happening and I'm just wondering how I can automate the feedback and mix of the delay to the frequency of the autofilter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n3LSqb0wU

You could either:

1) map the delay level + autofilter frequency to the same MIDI control parameter (you can even scale them differently)

2) copy the automation envelope from one parameter and paste it to another (right click on the envelope in arrangement view)

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

If you take a peek at that video, the parameters for the delay are being moved when he is using his mouse to tweak the frequency. Is there a way to 'parent' 2 different effects together?

Maybe I'm just confused.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

pennywisdom posted:

If you take a peek at that video, the parameters for the delay are being moved when he is using his mouse to tweak the frequency. Is there a way to 'parent' 2 different effects together?

Maybe I'm just confused.

He says he's mapping the multiple parameters to the modulate wheel on his MIDI controller; you can MIDI learn multiple parameters to the same controller.

Another way you could do it is to put both devices into an Audio Rack and map multiple parameters to a single macro knob.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

So I have an audio clip. Why is it that when I transpose it down and then I do "slice to new midi track", the new midi drum rack keeps the original pitch? How do I change it so that the new midi track will preserve the pitch that I shifted it to?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The transpose is a "soft" operation; it is not applied destructively.

You change this by freezing/flattening the audio clip or track and then you perform the slice to new MIDI track again.

Since transposing apparently can be improved in terms of quality by some algorithms you might want to use a regular wave editor for this instead of Ableton itself, depending on algorithm quality.

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet
Alright, I just picked up Suite. I haven't even installed it yet, but I had a question about rewire. I have a couple of songs I like quite a bit, and somebody in this thread said to use rewire to "bypass reason's lovely mixer."*

I suppose my question is should I use the effects from ableton or reason? I don't really have any VST plugins yet, which was my main reason for even getting Ableton, so should I wait to get some plugins or just use ableton for mixing/mastering and use the stuff that comes with Reason?

*this, I think, was paraphrased.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Project Lithium posted:

Alright, I just picked up Suite. I haven't even installed it yet, but I had a question about rewire. I have a couple of songs I like quite a bit, and somebody in this thread said to use rewire to "bypass reason's lovely mixer."*

I suppose my question is should I use the effects from ableton or reason? I don't really have any VST plugins yet, which was my main reason for even getting Ableton, so should I wait to get some plugins or just use ableton for mixing/mastering and use the stuff that comes with Reason?

*this, I think, was paraphrased.
You're asking some questions that we can't answer for you because that boils down to personal preference and workflow integration. You can use Reason's effects and instruments, or the ones native to Ableton. You can use a combination of the two. The way that Rewire works will essentially force you to use Ableton as for mixing/mastering. I hope this clears some stuff up.

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet
It does, thank you very much. Ideally, what I'd like to do is acquiring some really good VSTs and use Ableton primarily. I'm waiting for NI Komplete to arrive, but there are some songs I have that I've worked out in Reason that I really like and don't want to abandon/COMPELTELY redo.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Project Lithium posted:

I'm waiting for NI Komplete to arrive.
I use Komplete, it's absolutely bomb. Good call.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 9, 2020

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What do you have in terms of audio interfaces? What is hooked up via PCI, perhaps something's trying to prioritize itself? Have you tried disabling your wireless network card if there's anything present? Anything on USB or Firewire trying to steal your CPU's attention?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
DPC Latency Checker is a useful tool for sussing out latency issues caused by hardware/driver conflicts.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I had a similar problem, my $20 PCI wireless card was causing my (firewire) Fireface to glitch, disabling it fixed everything.

It turns out this was a blessing in disguise because that's one less huge potential distraction when I sit down to record/mix (plus it only takes about 10-15 seconds to turn the card off/on in device manager so it's easy enough when I need to move files around or download a patch or something).