Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
At first I thought the flag resembled the People's Republic of China flag, but it seems like that might be just the color and stars.

Of course, the "economic engagement" bit set me on edge. I read political themes into things too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Am I the only one who laughed at the line, "In twenty years, you can tell your great-grandchildren..."?

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009

Effingham posted:

Am I the only one who laughed at the line, "In twenty years, you can tell your great-grandchildren..."?

No I thought that was pretty funny too :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Whatever happened to that elven spec-ops team sent into Gobbotopia?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Probably tooling around with the resistance. Redcloak mentioned some elven terrorist attack.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mylan posted:

Probably tooling around with the resistance. Redcloak mentioned some elven terrorist attack.

I assumed that was meant to be V teleporting in to attack Xykon.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Goons can't remember anything

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

That doesn't tell us what happened to them though.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Ooooohhh yeah, V's attack. Then I guess the secret project is the search for phylactery. Durr.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If it's six weeks to the anniversary of the gobbos taking Sapphire City, that doesn't bode well for Belkar.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Bell_ posted:

If it's six weeks to the anniversary of the gobbos taking Sapphire City, that doesn't bode well for Belkar.

Bear in mind that strip #499/500 says that Roy has been dead for almost 4 months (having lost track of time in heaven), by #572 we'll be well ahead of that. Belkar still has plenty of time after the Goblin anniversary.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The last we heard on that subject was Roy saying Belkar has about 7 weeks left on his doomsday clock in #666. Considering the time it took for them to sail to and then explore the desert, Belkar's quickly running out of time, though in comic time, may still be another 50-100 strips before it pays off.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Mylan posted:

The last we heard on that subject was Roy saying Belkar has about 7 weeks left on his doomsday clock in #666. Considering the time it took for them to sail to and then explore the desert, Belkar's quickly running out of time, though in comic time, may still be another 50-100 strips before it pays off.

Don't forget, Durkon is going to return home posthumously and when he does, he'll "bring death and destruction" with him. Considering the last gate will be Kraagor the Dwarf's Tomb, I don't thing Durkon is doing to be around that much longer either.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
^^Does this mean Durkon can't be ressurrected though? I think he's allowed to die and come back and still fulfill that prophecy.

Mylan posted:

Well then that just doesn't make sense! Roy died the day the goblins took the city, and it was at least 3 months later when it was revealed Belkar will die within a year. So if there's 6 weeks until the anniversary of the goblins taking the city, Belkar has well over (a minimum of) 7 weeks. Maybe Roy is just really bad at maths?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
That's what he gets for going to "hit things with sticks" school instead of a wizarding academy!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Noonsaliwah posted:

^^Does this mean Durkon can't be ressurrected though? I think he's allowed to die and come back and still fulfill that prophecy.

Well then that just doesn't make sense! Roy died the day the goblins took the city, and it was at least 3 months later when it was revealed Belkar will die within a year. So if there's 6 weeks until the anniversary of the goblins taking the city, Belkar has well over (a minimum of) 7 weeks. Maybe Roy is just really bad at maths?

Wasn't Belkar told about his death when they first visited the oracle, though he did forget it that time if I remember correctly? That would have made his one year limit start before the battle occurred.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Speaking of the Oracle's prophicies, I still have a theory that V is going to die by the end as well. In #567 he gives all the round-about explanations as to how Belkar is responsible for the deaths of everyone he asked about. The Oracle starts to say "as for the elf" before Belkar stabs him. Why even mention V if it's a negative? I really get the feeling that sentence wasn't going to end with "you have nothing to do with that one."

Cliff Racer posted:

Wasn't Belkar told about his death when they first visited the oracle, though he did forget it that time if I remember correctly? That would have made his one year limit start before the battle occurred.

He was told to savor his next birthday cake. Potentionally, that gave Belkar up to two years, depending on how recently his last birthday was. Then he told Roy that Belkar wouldn't last past the end of the year, so that narrowed it down quite a bit.

Mylan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 4, 2010

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Noonsaliwah posted:

Or maybe it's end of the calendar year; New Year's was right before the attack, wasn't it?

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Noonsaliwah posted:

Maybe Roy is just really bad at maths?

He has an MBA. So yeah, probably.

Sefer posted:

Or maybe it's end of the calendar year; New Year's was right before the attack, wasn't it?

Which calendar? Not the one any of the Order uses. It was Azure city's new year. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Kramer posted:

Which calendar? Not the one any of the Order uses. It was Azure city's new year. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html

I think I remember the graph from when Roy was trying to get into LG heaven had years ending at the same time as the Azure City new year, so I think they all use the same calender.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kramer posted:

He has an MBA. So yeah, probably.

Holy poo poo, I haven't looked at that recently but Burlew changed the character page to reflect Haley stealing the diamond from it.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Manyorcas posted:

I think I remember the graph from when Roy was trying to get into LG heaven had years ending at the same time as the Azure City new year, so I think they all use the same calender.

Nope. #302 Hinjo specifically says they use a different calendar.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo, I haven't looked at that recently but Burlew changed the character page to reflect Haley stealing the diamond from it.

Its been like that for at least a year or so now.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Cliff Racer posted:

Its been like that for at least a year or so now.

Nah, Roy got resurrected last Summer, according to the news page.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

I feel dumb, someone mind explaining the joke to me?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

sansuki posted:

I feel dumb, someone mind explaining the joke to me?

His mother named him "Hobgoblin cleric #2", thereby condemning him to a life as a background character.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Proper names = important. See Daigo and Kazumi during the flight from Azure City.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Well, I guess they found the phylactary then, if Redcloak's getting ready to leave. Probably hasn't told Xykon yet, though, since I doubt he'd allow Redcloak time to square away all the goblin nation business first.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
From his mention of "the elven attack" killing Jirix I'm assuming the terrorist attack is actually V's attack, not something from the elf party.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

wdarkk posted:

From his mention of "the elven attack" killing Jirix I'm assuming the terrorist attack is actually V's attack, not something from the elf party.

Really? Wow!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

wdarkk posted:

Looking it up, Jirix is the guy that O'Chul ran through with one of the bars from his cell, so you're half right.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Wanderer posted:

Looking it up, Jirix is the guy that O'Chul ran through with one of the bars from his cell, so you're half right.

Really? Wow!

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Wait, who's O'Chul?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Maldraedior posted:

Wait, who's O'Chul?
The paladin killing Jirix in this panel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Maldraedior posted:

Wait, who's O'Chul?

The paladin with +5 holy cojones. The paladin who earned hundreds of scars "one saving throw at a time," when he wasn't swimming in huge vats of acid and killing sharks for Xykon's amusement. The paladin who saw his long-term imprisonment and torture not as an ordeal, but as an opportunity. The paladin who taught the monster in the dark that it's not a brainless fool, but merely a slave whose chains are beginning to chafe. The paladin who, when confronted with the person who caused his imprisonment, forgave said person. Just before warning him to never, ever do that to another person. Or else.

In short, the most badass paladin to ever walk the earth. That's who.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

Noia posted:

Really? Wow!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Noia posted:

Yes. I just wanted an excuse to talk about O'Chul being awesome. Because he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

The paladin with +5 holy cojones. The paladin who earned hundreds of scars "one saving throw at a time," when he wasn't swimming in huge vats of acid and killing sharks for Xykon's amusement. The paladin who saw his long-term imprisonment and torture not as an ordeal, but as an opportunity. The paladin who taught the monster in the dark that it's not a brainless fool, but merely a slave whose chains are beginning to chafe. The paladin who, when confronted with the person who caused his imprisonment, forgave said person. Just before warning him to never, ever do that to another person. Or else.

In short, the most badass paladin to ever walk the earth. That's who.

Wait I thought she died when the castle exploded??