Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

projecthalaxy posted:

Am I an idiot or did WWE never run a plumber gimmick? It seems obvious that it would come up in the 80s/90s with all the vocation gimmicks.

TL Hopper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Anthony#World_Wrestling_Federation_.281996-1997.29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

OK then. Carry on.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The impetus for my username! Though why I chose it to begin with is beyond me.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone follow lucha on here? It'd be kind of cool to have a primer similar to the puro threads.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rodney the Piper posted:

Does anyone follow lucha on here? It'd be kind of cool to have a primer similar to the puro threads.

Ax had one but people rarely went into it.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Can someone tell me about ICP's run in the WWF?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The A-Team Van posted:

they tried to shoot on the headbangers in a match, got their rear end kicked, and that was the end of that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

The were brought in for the theme music performers of the small stable called The Oddities during the Attitude Era. The stable had Golga(Earthquake), Giant Silva, Kurgan, and Luna Vachon. ICP was originally just there as music performers but they apparently made a deal with Vince to promote themselves and their music with WWF because they are big fans of wrestling. So they actually joined The Oddities later and even accompanied them to the ring singing, they were kind of over. Then they feuded with the Headbangers and got stiffed a lot because the Headbangers hated them legit and they quit WWF because Vince didn't promote their CDs and on going tour.

Their song is stuck in my head to this day.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

KungFu Grip posted:

The were brought in for the theme music performers of the small stable called The Oddities during the Attitude Era. The stable had Golga(Earthquake), Giant Silva, Kurgan, and Luna Vachon. ICP was originally just there as music performers but they apparently made a deal with Vince to promote themselves and their music with WWF because they are big fans of wrestling. So they actually joined The Oddities later and even accompanied them to the ring singing, they were kind of over. Then they feuded with the Headbangers and got stiffed a lot because the Headbangers hated them legit and they quit WWF because Vince didn't promote their CDs and on going tour.

I've blocked all of this from my memory. I found the Oddities vs Headbangers match where ICP turned on the Oddities and cut Luna's hair. I literally don't remember it happening.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

KungFu Grip posted:

Try listening to the Ron & Fez Show sometimes. Granted, they don't use it anymore, but they used "Oddities" as their opening theme for years and years.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Kurrgan owned in Sherlock Holmes.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I can still remember parts of the Oddities theme music. Didn't one of them start bringing a giant stuffed Cartman to the ring too?

My own question- What happened to Essa Rios post-WWF? I remember him wrestling on Heat with Lita as his valet and I really liked him. Then I went to a Smackdown where he wrestled for a Heat taping or a dark match or something and like a week later he was gone and Lita was teaming with the Hardys.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

bradzilla posted:

Oh poo poo that was him! I saw that at the weekend and knew I recognised the dude!

I think Essa Rios got let go pretty much because he didn't want to learn English, which is why Lita was teamed with him in the first place.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.
Edit: Thought I was on a different page.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bradzilla posted:

He really did.

"<pant... pant> ..... one moment, please....."

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I remember a really weird moment, I think during the Vince/Trish angle. For reason Vince was out of the arena and called Trish or someone to find out how things are. One of his questions was "How's Essa Rios?". I'm not sure why that stuck with me.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LightsGameraAction posted:

I can still remember parts of the Oddities theme music. Didn't one of them start bringing a giant stuffed Cartman to the ring too?

My own question- What happened to Essa Rios post-WWF? I remember him wrestling on Heat with Lita as his valet and I really liked him. Then I went to a Smackdown where he wrestled for a Heat taping or a dark match or something and like a week later he was gone and Lita was teaming with the Hardys.

He spent a few years in Mexico then in 2004'ish he spent maybe six months to a year in TNA as Mr Aguila before deciding that Mexico was more fun.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LightsGameraAction posted:

Yeah, Golga. Otherwise known as John loving Tenta. The last thing motherfucking Earthquake did in the WWF was wrestle under a hood and carry a Cartman doll.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

tzirean posted:

Yeah, Golga. Otherwise known as John loving Tenta. The last thing motherfucking Earthquake did in the WWF was wrestle under a hood and carry a Cartman doll.

He had fun though :unsmith:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

KungFu Grip posted:

And at least it didnt require him to change any of his tattoos!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

:unsmith:

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Earthquake was in the Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania X-7. That was his last appearance.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Earthquake was in the Gimmick Battle Royal at WrestleMania X-7. That was his last appearance.

You're right. Totally forgot about that.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

I bet he had fun then too though so it's all good. :)

I hear that Tenta was a really nice guy.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Was that Dolph Ziggler I saw in the booth on Deal or No Deal tonight? :psyduck:

If so, that's pretty sweet.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Hogan vs. Goldberg was probably the biggest match that WCW gave away for free. What is the biggest match WWE put on free tv? What about TNA?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

^^^^^
I cant think of many matches on the magnitude of Goldberg/Hogan that have been given away on free TV that were not already on a PPV or something.

I guess maybe the singles match between Michaels/Goldberg on RAW?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hogan vs. Goldberg was probably the biggest match that WCW gave away for free. What is the biggest match WWE put on free tv? What about TNA?

Probably... Rock/Foley for the Title?

Maybe the Kurt Angle/Brock Lesnar Iron Man Match?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I think the highest rated segment ever on Raw was an Austin-Undertaker match in 1999. It was like a 9.2 or something.

They also did an Austin-Angle title change on Raw in 2001 right in the middle of their feud. They'd done the match twice on PPV iirc

then they had angle turn heel and join the alliance after being the post-9/11 american hero :geno:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TNA gives away matches for free like it is their job.

They gave away a rematch of the Bound for Glory 2005 main event with Jarrett winning the title back from Rhino.

They gave away the first ever Sting vs Samoa Joe match.

They also did a rematch of Kurt Angle vs Sting two weeks after Sting won the title at Bound for Glory. 3 of the 4 recent Angle vs Styles matches have been done for free. There are more, but these are the biggest ones.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Jerusalem posted:

That, and the Jeff Hardy/Undertaker Ladder Match.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Flair/Edge TLC and the Hardy/Punk retirement match were also pretty huge.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if my question has one true answer, but I don't know if that match would count. It was part of a series of matches between the two, including 2 on PPV, one on Raw and one in that Superbowl match. So while it was given away for free, it was part of a feud that drew a lot of money.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Karmine posted:

I hear that Tenta was a really nice guy.

By all accounts, he's right in the tier below Owen in "nicest guys to get mixed up in wrestling." And that's not a failing of Tenta's, Owen was just that darn nice.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I remember when wrestlers were jumping ship from WCW to WWF about a decade ago (Jericho, Radicals, etc.) they were all saying how much more professional, organized, and less political the WWF was. I believe they said they knew their storylines well in advance and everyone had their parts pretty well defined. .

Most of the crap I read from former WWE guys these days is how political, disorganized, demoralizing the WWE experience is. When did it change? Did they just drop the ball after WCW died?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Are you asking the same people? Because being in the WWE may be like being in a sauna, but late WCW was like dying in a house fire

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I think I have a possible answer to my own question.

I think that Radicalz/DX vs. Too Cool, Rikishi, the Rock & Mick Foley could have drawn money but was given away for free.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

iamsosmrt posted:

I remember when wrestlers were jumping ship from WCW to WWF about a decade ago (Jericho, Radicals, etc.) they were all saying how much more professional, organized, and less political the WWF was. I believe they said they knew their storylines well in advance and everyone had their parts pretty well defined. .

Most of the crap I read from former WWE guys these days is how political, disorganized, demoralizing the WWE experience is. When did it change? Did they just drop the ball after WCW died?

I haven't heard too many people say WWE is disorganized. While at times they don't have much of a booking plan, everything else is pretty well regimented. I think a big part of it is the people who are fired are fired because of drug problems or quit because they hate the road schedule. I'm sure some people like Swagger aren't thrilled with things, but it sounds like most of the times things are a lot saner and happier than WCW.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think I have a possible answer to my own question.

I think that Radicalz/DX vs. Too Cool, Rikishi, the Rock & Mick Foley could have drawn money but was given away for free.

It's kind of a lot to ask to have eight guys in the ring wrestle a match that was booked perfectly at about ten minutes, and run that as a main event on a PPV.

As far as recent events, Chris Jericho v. The Undertaker seemed like a natural headline event that had never been done before.

quote:

They are pretty much all bullshitters, either because they are trying to sell you on the product they currently work for, or they couldn't hack it and need some kind of excuse.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

TNA gives away matches for free like it is their job.

They gave away a rematch of the Bound for Glory 2005 main event with Jarrett winning the title back from Rhino.

They gave away the first ever Sting vs Samoa Joe match.

They also did a rematch of Kurt Angle vs Sting two weeks after Sting won the title at Bound for Glory. 3 of the 4 recent Angle vs Styles matches have been done for free. There are more, but these are the biggest ones.

Goldberg and Hogan were two of the biggest stars during wrestling's hottest period ever. Wasting their first match on free tv doesn't really compare with "wasting" a Rhino/Jarrett rematch, or any rematch for that matter.

I remember thinking Sting/Joe being silly - it ended with a Samoan Drop after like eight minutes - but they were both only around the upper-midcard at that point and you can only save so many matches for ppv without all your tv matches being repeats or squashes. And I can't imagine someone who would've otherwise bought BFG08 deciding not to because Joe and Sting had a short match on tv three years ago. Similarly, Cena and HBK had their first match ever on a Raw in 2005 and iirc they still billed their WM23 match as "for the first time ever".

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 5, 2010