Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Rhaegar posted:

... his issue with BlueNile was that they basically buy huge lots of diamonds ranging in quality from crap to awesome and that you don't really know what you are going to get.

The secret here is that not all GIA color and clarity grades are consistent, and not all "Ideal Cut" diamonds are the same. There is no legal definition of an "Ideal Cut Diamond" so there is a lot of wiggle room. I just searched for the diamond you mentioned (0.50 to .55 carat, J, SI1, Ideal); isn't it a bit suspicious that the pricing ranges from $751 to $1,242 for supposedly identical diamonds?

This is where the myth of buying a diamond solely from the certificate falls apart. The paper certificate is not a guarantee of quality. It is an opinion of the gemological laboratory of the grading of a diamond, using a subjective grading methodology, and the document is not legally binding. It is an opinion and nothing more.

There are fantastic SI1 diamonds, but also ugly SI1 diamonds. These companies count on the fact that consumers do not have the information needed to fact check their marketing and presentation. You have to be careful out there.

(Plus there's the fact that they were sued for their practices of selling treated gemstones without disclosure.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g3k
Oct 1, 2009

oh god, how did this get here i am not good with computer
Got a quick question about Catholic weddings and preparing for them.

What are the requirements of a Catholic wedding? Like do I have to actually do anything with my bride-to-be before we qualify to be married in the Catholic church?

I was raised in a Catholic house and I was confirmed, etc, but I've shied away from religion as a whole and consider myself agnostic. I pretty much have no say in the matter of where we are married (and I'm fine with it), I just want to know what I'm getting in to while we wait to get married. According to my mother, who is a practicing Catholic, meet with the priest regularly, and go to some sort of class for a weekend. According to HER mother, we have to wait 8 months or some poo poo, as well as do other weird things (she has brain tumors, so she might of been rambling about stuff, she is difficult to understand sometimes :()

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

g3k posted:

Got a quick question about Catholic weddings and preparing for them.

What are the requirements of a Catholic wedding? Like do I have to actually do anything with my bride-to-be before we qualify to be married in the Catholic church?

I was raised in a Catholic house and I was confirmed, etc, but I've shied away from religion as a whole and consider myself agnostic. I pretty much have no say in the matter of where we are married (and I'm fine with it), I just want to know what I'm getting in to while we wait to get married. According to my mother, who is a practicing Catholic, meet with the priest regularly, and go to some sort of class for a weekend. According to HER mother, we have to wait 8 months or some poo poo, as well as do other weird things (she has brain tumors, so she might of been rambling about stuff, she is difficult to understand sometimes :()

The requirements for getting married in an individual church might vary - most churches require at least one of the bridal party to be a registered member of the church. You might also be restricted to getting married on specific days/times (i.e. don't expect to get married during the Christmas season or during Holy Week).

For the Church as a whole, you will need at least six month's prep time. Some churches will have you do a retreat, some will have you do classes, some will have you do both. These help you understand what you will be undertaking in your marriage. If your bride is not Catholic, you will have to get special permission to get married in a Catholic church.

Unless you're older, you both also must promise to have babies and raise those babies Catholic.

g3k
Oct 1, 2009

vanessa posted:

The requirements for getting married in an individual church might vary - most churches require at least one of the bridal party to be a registered member of the church. You might also be restricted to getting married on specific days/times (i.e. don't expect to get married during the Christmas season or during Holy Week).

For the Church as a whole, you will need at least six month's prep time. Some churches will have you do a retreat, some will have you do classes, some will have you do both. These help you understand what you will be undertaking in your marriage. If your bride is not Catholic, you will have to get special permission to get married in a Catholic church.

Unless you're older, you both also must promise to have babies and raise those babies Catholic.

We're both technically Catholic, just not practicing Catholics. After posting this thread and doing some Googling, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Cana which basically describes what you are talking about. From what I understand about the priests at this particular church is that they are very hardline Catholics, so it'll have to be by the book. I'm friends with a few Catholic priests (weird story), and I'd love to have one of them marry us, but I have little say in the matter.

I actually look forward to the classes, they should be interesting. I do feel a little guilty going through the motions, like going to confession, getting communion, etc when it's not really my beliefs, but I do what I must :|

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

g3k posted:

We're both technically Catholic, just not practicing Catholics. After posting this thread and doing some Googling, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Cana which basically describes what you are talking about. From what I understand about the priests at this particular church is that they are very hardline Catholics, so it'll have to be by the book.

Are you sure you'll end up just doing classes? My church (sounds very laid back in comparison to your church) just had us do an all day Saturday retreat to go along with the standard meet with the priest a few times thing. I will say it's worth talking to all of the priests if you don't already know them to figure out which one you want to do your prep with. We changed halfway through our prep from a high-strung guy to a very chill guy. Made all the difference in the world and he was great with the non-Catholics we had in/at the wedding.

Some churches require you to have a sponsor couple, meet with them and do all kinds of stuff. Others have evening classes that are spread out instead of an all day retreat. My friend actually did her prep where I live with the retreat, but then the church back home where she was marrying required them to get a sponsor couple there as well.

Odds are, one of you will need to be a registered member of the church. You'll need to produce paperwork (with parish seal) for your baptism & confirmation. You'll also take the FOCCUS questionnaire thing which forms the bulk of discussion with the priest. There will be a booklet with all of the readings/prayers you need to pick out, though there is leeway with that usually. Our priest reworded prayers and stuff to make things flow better.

PM me if you have any specific questions (before I write a novel here). I just did the whole Catholic wedding thing in September, so it's fresh in my mind.

g3k
Oct 1, 2009

fine-tune posted:

good :words:

Unfortunately, I haven't bought PM yet. I'm almost certain I'm going to be required to go to a weekend retreat, from what my mom told me, its a whole weekend of classes and couples learning stuff about marriage.

Her mom is very traditionally Catholic and she is basically paying for the whole thing, if you are wondering why I'm going through this whole thing. It's what my fiancee wants because her mom won't be with us for long, so it's what I want.

I'm going to have to bother my mom to pull up all of my paperwork, that should be fun ;/ Our meeting with the priest is next Thursday at 5, so I guess I'll find out more then.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

For your paperwork, if the church where you'll be doing the prep is the same as the church where you were confirmed, then the church will have the baptismal certificate already.

They won't take the original certificate from when you were baptized or confirmed, as they need one dated within the last year to verify that you were never married before.

Don't worry about "going through the motions." Your heart is in the right place and it's good that you want to make your mom happy.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

g3k posted:

Unfortunately, I haven't bought PM yet. I'm almost certain I'm going to be required to go to a weekend retreat, from what my mom told me, its a whole weekend of classes and couples learning stuff about marriage.

Her mom is very traditionally Catholic and she is basically paying for the whole thing, if you are wondering why I'm going through this whole thing. It's what my fiancee wants because her mom won't be with us for long, so it's what I want.

I'm going to have to bother my mom to pull up all of my paperwork, that should be fun ;/ Our meeting with the priest is next Thursday at 5, so I guess I'll find out more then.

The retreat probably won't be as bad as you think. Probably some awkward moments (like I had to contain myself when the natural family planning couple was talking), but nothing that will kill you. I can give you a run down of what my husband and I went through in more detail for moral support, just shoot me an email. mboing at gmail dot com

You can just contact your church of baptism/confirmation directly to get the paperwork. They've done this sort of thing before and should know exactly what you need.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Has anyone else seen these brooch bouquets? See http://offbeatbride.com/2010/01/brooch-bouquet

I want one. Really bad. But both of the places that I can find that make them (the woman in the Offbeat Bride article) and at https://www.fantasyfloraldesigns.com charge in excess of $500 for each, and that's not including the brooches used. My mom has an absolute ton of old costume jewelry that my Great Aunt left her and she thinks it'd be a great idea to use those to make one, but I haven't the slightest idea where to start. I have a general idea that I could do something with florist wire and tape, attaching the wire to the back of the brooch and then wrapping the wire in tape to simulate a stem, then creating the bouquet just like you'd do a normal one. Or perhaps if I took the brooches and a photo to a florist they could do it? Any ideas?

I have looked on etsy, and there are similar things but they involve lots of buttons and other little things and what I want is strictly the flower brooches, like in the links.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I bet you could use florist foam to support the broaches, something like this: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/bouquetholder.html

You'd still have to wire the broaches, but then you could stick the wire into the foam instead of trying to tie all the wires together.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My engagement/wedding rings (same for us) are free; my grandma is a jeweler, and she's making them for us. :)

Okay, I can't figure this out. We'll be living in California when our date comes, but we're getting married in North Carolina. How on earth do I do the paperwork? I know people get married in different states all the time, but everything I can find seems to suggest that you have to visit the state a month or two in advance just to apply. There must be an easier way.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Zaftig posted:

My engagement/wedding rings (same for us) are free; my grandma is a jeweler, and she's making them for us. :)

Okay, I can't figure this out. We'll be living in California when our date comes, but we're getting married in North Carolina. How on earth do I do the paperwork? I know people get married in different states all the time, but everything I can find seems to suggest that you have to visit the state a month or two in advance just to apply. There must be an easier way.

Do you mean the marriage license? That depends on the state and/or county you're getting married in. We are getting married in another state and the county requires we get the license at least one day before so we're going to go get it when we fly in. It varies everywhere though and some places require bloodtests and whatnot.

If you meant vendor paperwork, use the internets, fax, or snailmail, whatever the vendor is equipped for.

Edit: I'd also like the thank the airline network for making it cheaper to fly into Milwaukee with a stop in Chicago than it is to just fly into Chicago. We're already over budget and I didn't even put airline tickets in there. :(

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 5, 2010

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Zaftig posted:

http://www.weddingvendors.com/marriage-license-laws/united-states/north-carolina/

This site is pretty accurate. I also live in California, but I'm getting married in Wisconsin, and we have to apply for the license at least a week before we get married. It looks like you can just go to a county clerk office and get everything taken care of in one stop just a day or two before you plan to wed.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
That link is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! I could find bits and pieces and thought it might be okay to get a license the day before or something, but I wasn't sure.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Zaftig posted:

That link is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! I could find bits and pieces and thought it might be okay to get a license the day before or something, but I wasn't sure.

Just confirming what vanessa posted, it's really easy to get your marriage license in NC. We didn't even have to show proof of our identification beyond our drivers licenses. If you have more questions, google for the county's register of deeds office. That's where you'll go to get your license.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

GoreJess posted:

I bet you could use florist foam to support the broaches, something like this: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/bouquetholder.html

You'd still have to wire the broaches, but then you could stick the wire into the foam instead of trying to tie all the wires together.

That's a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic, but I'd be covering the whole thing in ribbon anyway. My mom has a friend who has a friend who is a florist :rolleyes: and she is going to talk to her about what she would charge to try and do it.

I'm really wanting to do a lot of things myself if I can, not only to save money but because I'm a crafty person and like having lots of little projects. I want my wedding to be personal. Mom, of course, wants to pay somebody to do absolutely everything. We had the whole "it's my wedding" conversation last weekend. She keeps pulling the "I never had a real wedding" card so "I just want yours to be something that you want and will remember forever as being the most special day of your life." And "I don't want you exhausting yourself trying to do every little detail, because this day is supposed to be about you!" If my mom didn't always talk like a goddamn Hallmark card it'd be really pissing me off. But that's par for the course with her. Hurray for DIY weddings!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Nione posted:

That's a good idea. I'm not a huge fan of the plastic, but I'd be covering the whole thing in ribbon anyway. My mom has a friend who has a friend who is a florist :rolleyes: and she is going to talk to her about what she would charge to try and do it.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but you need a tussy mussy! You could put a block of foam down inside & then stick the broaches into that.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
Wanted to share my Save the Date postcard fronts because I think they are awesome and also to get any last minute critique before sending these bad boys out to the printers. I'm not super thrilled with the orange text but haven't been able to come up with anything better yet, so if anyone has any clever ideas for that I would be thrilled. The back of the postcard will have a more formal layout with all the required information listed there.

Click here for the full 500x743 image.

Also, what's the etiquette on who I have to send STD's to? Is it everyone who will be getting an invitation later on? It seems kind of silly to spend money on printing and postage to send these out to people who already know when our wedding is and that they are coming, but I don't really want to offend anyone either...

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
Save The Dates are typically sent to those people who would have to make hotel or travel arrangements to get to your wedding, thus informing them of any discounted blocks arranged by you for your guests or simply allowing them warning to make their own plans. Since 90% of our guests are "out of town" we just sent cards to everyone. Your approach may be different based on your situation of course. Love the Hot Fuzz look.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

This is so loving amazing. I didn't want to include a picture of my fiance and me on our STD's because I couldn't think of any pose that wasn't going to be mocked mercilessly by my family (My cousin is getting married two months before me, and her STD's are of her and her fiance holding a poster that says "Save the Date!" in sloppy handwriting in the middle of a field of hay. We mocked that one for a week straight, and then some.) so ours are postcards with retro owls and "Save the Date" in a funky font on one side and our info on the back.

But man, now I'm wondering if it's not too late to steal this idea...

(I'm not going to steal this idea.)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Lord Hawking posted:

Save The Dates are typically sent to those people who would have to make hotel or travel arrangements to get to your wedding, thus informing them of any discounted blocks arranged by you for your guests or simply allowing them warning to make their own plans. Since 90% of our guests are "out of town" we just sent cards to everyone. Your approach may be different based on your situation of course. Love the Hot Fuzz look.

Totally agree with this. But since your STD is just so loving awesome, it'd be a shame to not send it to your friends (even if they aren't out of town) because they'll actually get the joke. You could even hand them out in person to save on the postage.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

GoreJess posted:

Totally agree with this. But since your STD is just so loving awesome, it'd be a shame to not send it to your friends (even if they aren't out of town) because they'll actually get the joke. You could even hand them out in person to save on the postage.

We absolutely hand delivered a great deal of our Save the Dates. We did them as magnets, so they'd be on people's fridges and they'd see them all the time (and hopefully remember to attend). It worked pretty well; we had a high turnout.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
This is so cool. I would totally Photoshop our faces into something now if I didn't already have something planned.

Ignore the date (it was an early draft; we're actually doing it this October for lots of reasons), but I'm doing an invite post card and this is the front:

It's a backyard BBQ and people are going to say stuff about us having a low budget anyway, so I figured I might as well put dinosaurs everywhere.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That's so cute oh my god. I love it. I love the garter on the brideosaur :3:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Alright, just bought a ring from Brilliant Earth and I can't really tell anyone I know because they all suck at secrets so I'm telling all of you! Stats:

0.57 carat, round shape, super ideal cut, H color, VS2 clarity, 5.34 x 5.31 x 3.32 mm measurements, set in a 2mm solitaire 4-prong ring.

Simple, understated, Canadian. It doesn't get here for like 10 days so basically I'm just a big bundle of nerves.

Wish me luck!

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

Zaftig posted:

This is so cool. I would totally Photoshop our faces into something now if I didn't already have something planned.

Ignore the date (it was an early draft; we're actually doing it this October for lots of reasons), but I'm doing an invite post card and this is the front:

It's a backyard BBQ and people are going to say stuff about us having a low budget anyway, so I figured I might as well put dinosaurs everywhere.

Oh it would be a shame if you used anything but this for your cards. Now I want two StD's so I can have adorable dino ones too :( At least we are having a dino cake topper :D

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Losing my job in like two weeks so we're trying to cut back costs wherever possible (finding out you're going to be unemployed six months before your wedding is SUPER AWESOME, btw) so it's great to hear we don't have to send cards to everyone, Sounds like my original plan of just sending them to out of towners and people who may not be sure of the date will be fine. Yay! Friends will be getting it via email/facebook. We're living in CA and the wedding is in WA with all my friends and family sooo no way to hand anything out by hand unfortunately.

vanessa posted:

(I'm not going to steal this idea.)
I would be totally flattered were someone to steal this idea, haha. I totally feel you on not wanting the generic couple in a field with handpainted sign sentiment. We briefly considered it, but like you figured our friends would mock us mercilessly over it. Would love to see your cards if you are comfortable posting them, pretty much all the bird cards I have ever seen have been awesome :3:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Kitten Kisses posted:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Losing my job in like two weeks so we're trying to cut back costs wherever possible (finding out you're going to be unemployed six months before your wedding is SUPER AWESOME, btw) so it's great to hear we don't have to send cards to everyone, Sounds like my original plan of just sending them to out of towners and people who may not be sure of the date will be fine. Yay! Friends will be getting it via email/facebook. We're living in CA and the wedding is in WA with all my friends and family sooo no way to hand anything out by hand unfortunately.

Sorry to hear about your job. We're in a similar situation, I've still got a job but I've had a 15% pay cut and been dropped to 32 hours/week since the start of the year. Good luck with the job hunt, just remember that in 10 years you and your spouse will remember how much you went through to have a wedding and how much fun you had with it even though things were tough and it'll be even sweeter. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

I absolutely LOVE your save the dates. I agree that it would be a shame to only send them to the out-of-towners. What if you mailed the postcards to people coming in from out of town and emailed a jpeg or pdf version to everybody else? We're doing email save the dates because they'll have a link to our webpage.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Can someone please recommend a reputable and easy-to-deal-with site for Honeymoon Registries? (i.e., a site that will parcel up your honeymoon into things like "cost of plane ticket," "cost of hotel," "cost of meals," "cost of activities" that can then be added to one's registry?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

FairGame posted:

Can someone please recommend a reputable and easy-to-deal-with site for Honeymoon Registries? (i.e., a site that will parcel up your honeymoon into things like "cost of plane ticket," "cost of hotel," "cost of meals," "cost of activities" that can then be added to one's registry?
Honeyfund.com is excellent and doesn't take a cut of your money.

Sheabel
Aug 11, 2008

Sheabel kind of fragile
So has anyone had a wedding or been to a wedding that has no bridal party? My fiancee and I don't want to deal with all of that and had originally planned to not have anyone in the wedding (except maybe a flower girl, ring bearer). My future father in law says that we at least need to have a maid of honor and a best man because they have responsibilities during the wedding. Do we really need to? I haven't been to many weddings and I'm not sure if we need to consider the possibility or not.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Sheabel posted:

So has anyone had a wedding or been to a wedding that has no bridal party? My fiancee and I don't want to deal with all of that and had originally planned to not have anyone in the wedding (except maybe a flower girl, ring bearer). My future father in law says that we at least need to have a maid of honor and a best man because they have responsibilities during the wedding. Do we really need to? I haven't been to many weddings and I'm not sure if we need to consider the possibility or not.

You don't necessarily need a bridal party, but you will need formal witnesses who sign the marriage certificate.

Plus depending on how formal you guys are going, it's nice for the bride to have someone in charge of her dress' train.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

Sheabel posted:

You don't quite need them, but, like Vanessa said, the Best man and Maid of Honor are usually the main witnesses for the marriage certificate, so you'd need to decide who you want to fill that roll. I have been to a wedding before with no wedding party and visually it was just fine.

Sheabel
Aug 11, 2008

Sheabel kind of fragile
Thanks guys. I think we may consider having at least a maid of honor and a best man.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
I had no bridal party. Just me, my husband, and our officiant. It was fine. To say that the people I know are prone to drama would be a tremendous understatement. I didn't really want to deal with who would have been chosen and who wasn't. If you want to go simple like we did, you don't really need "official signers" anyway. People kept telling me that and I just nodded and smiled and did nothing. My best friend and his wife signed as witnesses the next morning. No big deal.

Sheabel
Aug 11, 2008

Sheabel kind of fragile

maso posted:

I had no bridal party. Just me, my husband, and our officiant. It was fine. To say that the people I know are prone to drama would be a tremendous understatement. I didn't really want to deal with who would have been chosen and who wasn't. If you want to go simple like we did, you don't really need "official signers" anyway. People kept telling me that and I just nodded and smiled and did nothing. My best friend and his wife signed as witnesses the next morning. No big deal.

Thanks! That's so good to know, because we really DON'T want to deal with choosing people for those spots either because of the drama. When the future father in law said that I just kinda smiled and said nothing. I guess we'll talk about it but I'm glad to know that it worked out just fine without a bridal party.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Kitten Kisses posted:

Would love to see your cards if you are comfortable posting them, pretty much all the bird cards I have ever seen have been awesome :3:

I would've posted this sooner, but we just got these finalized. My future mom-in-law is so amazing for designing these for us.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

vanessa posted:

I would've posted this sooner, but we just got these finalized. My future mom-in-law is so amazing for designing these for us.

Theory proven: bird cards remain awesome. I love those owls :neckbeard:

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Kitten Kisses posted:

Theory proven: bird cards remain awesome. I love those owls :neckbeard:

I actually can't wait to see what our invites look like...the owls are part of a larger image we found (and paid to use) that had the owls on a tree and a moon in the background. Our invites will use that whole image, so that everything is tied together.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Post those too... I love this kind of stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

vanessa posted:

You don't necessarily need a bridal party, but you will need formal witnesses who sign the marriage certificate.

Plus depending on how formal you guys are going, it's nice for the bride to have someone in charge of her dress' train.

Check with the laws in your state as to who and what you need to make it really official. In Florida we didn't have to have formal witnesses, but it varies. Florida's awesome in that you can get married by a notary public - no religion necessary.