Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
The paint/coating/whatever is coming off the surface of my Filco's A key. It doesn't really look bad because it is like black stuff coming off of black plastic, so you don't really notice it. It is just a bit weird, I don't get why there is a coating.

Other than that, my home row is nice and shiny now after using it for a few months. I'm sure it happens with every keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

HKS posted:

It's really heartwarming to see all these testimonials from people I assume used to be membrane users crossing over. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the HHKB yet, kind of hoping the change from cherry blue > topre is just as eye-opening.

Mechanical keyboards are cool and everything but for some reason they completely neglect to add modern features to any of them (like media keys) which a lot of people (including me) use all the time so purchasing one is kind of out of the question for me at this point.

If someone would make something that had more keys than just the standard layout I'd definitely consider it, but judging by who their target market is (mostly the sperglords on geekhack) that'll never happen so

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Just logged in my order for a Filco Blue after all the positive feedback pushing me over the edge. My Acer OEM keyboard works pretty well all things considered (i.e. it came with my PC), but I do get some sort finger joints lately since I've been typing a lot more. The clicky noises on the blues are sweet succour to a typewriter-loving, nostalgic-for-things-before-his-time journalist. Oh god I hope this is worth it :ohdear:

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
I'm going to have to disagree with the claims that the Logitech diNovo Edge is not great for typing or gaming, it's excellent for both.

Blah blah anecdotal evidence etc etc. I've used heaps of different keyboards, Model M, IBM piece of crap, standard HP keyboard, standard Dell keyboard, HP/Dell laptop keyboards, Logitech Cordless Duo, Logitech G15 and now finally the Logitech diNovo Edge. These are keyboards I've used for over a year each, and when/if my diNovo Edge breaks I'll be getting another one just like it. It is by far the most comfortable keyboard I've used, and I use it for everything.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

Jetfire posted:

Just logged in my order for a Filco Blue after all the positive feedback pushing me over the edge. My Acer OEM keyboard works pretty well all things considered (i.e. it came with my PC), but I do get some sort finger joints lately since I've been typing a lot more. The clicky noises on the blues are sweet succour to a typewriter-loving, nostalgic-for-things-before-his-time journalist. Oh god I hope this is worth it :ohdear:

Let me know how the blues go. I'm pretty drat tempted to buy another Filco after only owning one for 12 hours :V

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!
Had my Filco for maybe a month, n-key rollover with the less clicky keys (brown?)

I love it. I had a Steelseries prior and the keystroke was the same but it only had a right side windows key which was unacceptable because im a windows pro and I need to use my windows key shortcuts. (spawned from the left side windows key nub)

I haven't done much serious typing on it mainly shitposts and YOSPOS'tin, but i already spilled beer and got it greasy with pizza grease and it has held up.

Edit: oh yeah, I played about 50 hours of TF2 on it and I loving own; I was the best medic even before, but with this keyboard I'll own your face. The Doctor is IN.

z0rge Costanza fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 4, 2010

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Actually I was wondering, would my Filco be easier to clean than whatever I had before? (random membrane and scissor switch keyboards)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So after all this time, I finally went and pulled the trigger on a brand new Filco Tenkeyless Cherry Brown keyboard (and a set of super duper nerdy purple WASD keys to go with it).

I'm really looking forward to trying it out and seeing if these things really are as great as everybody says they are. Honestly, as long as typing on it feels "at least as good" as my current keyboard I'll be happy, because the biggest selling point for me is honestly the removal of the numberpad. At work, numberpads are fine, but they're annoying and redundant for home use, in my opinion. If typing on the thing turns out to be an improvement, well that's just icing on the cake then.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
How much louder is a keyboard with cherry browns than a logitech g15 or similar boards? I'd be tempted to get a filco tenkeyless with browns, but I don't want my roommates to hate me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Filco makes keyboards with Cherry Blacks as well, and they're the quietest keys out of all the Cherry series, just so you know. They have no ergonomic "bump" in the travel of the key, and you don't have to press the key to the bottom of the keyboard to activate it, so it's basically as silent as it can be. However, they're supposedly not as good for typing as the Blues or Browns due to the lack of tactile response.

Also, you'd be surprised at how many nerds on YouTube record the sounds their keyboards make. I'd start there to get a general idea.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 4, 2010

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The cherry browns are louder than regular keyboards, but they aren't really that loud. Most of the noise comes from the rebound, rather than the key bottoming out.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
I've found the browns to be not that bad in terms of noise unless you bottom out really hard every stroke.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Randuin posted:

Actually I was wondering, would my Filco be easier to clean than whatever I had before? (random membrane and scissor switch keyboards)

Probably, as you can simply pop all the keycaps off , which gets you to the tray where all of your dust and junk collects around the stems.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
Currently trying to decide between Logitech's diNovo "for notebooks" (i.e. without the bluetooth and frills) and the Illuminated Keyboard around the $50 level.

This is for a standard desktop setup. If you're curious (or indignant), I was looking at the Notebook diNovo for its price point, the fact that it apparently isn't all that much smaller than a standard keyboard, and the wireless capability which lets me be flexible re: other devices. My previous setup was a LX710 keyboard/mouse that served me well for a number of years, but is starting to seriously show its age.

The diNovos I've found are new, the Illuminated is refurb. Thoughts? Other equivalent keyboards I might be better off with? Thanks in advance.

a tea tree fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 5, 2010

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

a tea tree posted:

Currently trying to decide between Logitech's diNovo "for notebooks" (i.e. without the bluetooth and frills) and the Illuminated Keyboard around the $50 level.

This is for a standard desktop setup. If you're curious (or indignant), I was looking at the Notebook diNovo for its price point, the fact that it apparently isn't all that much smaller than a standard keyboard, and the wireless capability which lets me be flexible re: other devices. My previous setup was a LX710 keyboard/mouse that served me well for a number of years, but is starting to seriously show its age.

The diNovos I've found are new, the Illuminated is refurb. Thoughts? Other equivalent keyboards I might be better off with? Thanks in advance.

Is gaming important to you? If not, get the dinovo, if it is, get the illuminated.

Futhark
Apr 3, 2009

a tea tree posted:

I can't comment on the Illuminated, but I just bought a diNovo for Notebooks keyboard and it's the bees knees. Typing is far more comfortable than my previous keyboard (MX5500) and in the limited time I've had it it's been great for gaming. No fancy pants LCD screens or USB ports or anything, but I'm happy to get back some desk real estate.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Priam posted:

Is gaming important to you? If not, get the dinovo, if it is, get the illuminated.

If you're looking at multi-key presses, skip the Illuminated. I ended up switching to a Microsoft X6 because about a third of my combos weren't registering.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Between the Topre Realforce and the HHKB2, which is generally recommended as the best quality board? I like the compact form factor of the HHKB2, but the layout looks like it will just piss me off.

I hear nothing but good things about both these boards, and have yet to see someone prefer another keyboard over these. What do you guys think?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems like they should be nearly identical quality, so I'd just get the one that you like the layout of more. You can also get the realforce boards with key weights that vary depending on what finger goes to them, which could be nice.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

powderific posted:

It seems like they should be nearly identical quality, so I'd just get the one that you like the layout of more. You can also get the realforce boards with key weights that vary depending on what finger goes to them, which could be nice.

I saw that too, but I am interested in the one with all 55g keys. Just to get the weighty feel most like my Model M.

The HHKB2 uses all 45g keys for example.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Bonobos posted:

Between the Topre Realforce and the HHKB2, which is generally recommended as the best quality board? I like the compact form factor of the HHKB2, but the layout looks like it will just piss me off.

I hear nothing but good things about both these boards, and have yet to see someone prefer another keyboard over these. What do you guys think?
Only other boards that seem to be regarded as highly are the Unicomp Customizer/SpaceSaver/Eudorapro, i.e. new production of the classic Model M, Kinesis Advantage, or maybe the Cherry MX Brown Filcos, if you like light feel.

I also really wish that Filco would produce a tenkeyless board that has a Fn key numpad overlay like many laptops or the Topre boards. Now if only Unicomp would start producing the original IBM Space Saving Model M and/or the old industrial gray...

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 5, 2010

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonobos posted:

I saw that too, but I am interested in the one with all 55g keys. Just to get the weighty feel most like my Model M.

The HHKB2 uses all 45g keys for example.

If you want something that feels like your model m, any reason you wouldn't just get a Unicomp? It's be cheaper and pretty much exactly like your model M.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Isn't 55g actually closer to Cherry Browns? I thought buckling springs were much heavier than that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cherry browns are about 45, buckling springs are something like 75.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Randuin posted:

Isn't 55g actually closer to Cherry Browns? I thought buckling springs were much heavier than that.

powderific posted:

Cherry browns are about 45, buckling springs are something like 75.

Off the top of my head, the weights are more like:
Unicomp/IBM/Lexmark buckling spring - ~65g
ALPS White - ~60g
Cherry MX Black (linear) - ~40-80g
Cherry MX Blue - ~45g
Cherry MX Brown - ~40g
Cherry ML - ???
Topre RealForce/HHKB - 35/45/55g, depending on model

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Bonobos posted:

It pretty much comes down to form factor. You could beat a whole group (gaggle? flock?) of angry hobos to death with the HHKB or Realforce 87 and it would still be ready to go.

Honestly, unless you are really in love with with the HHKB layout, I'd get the Realforce. I don't use many IDEs to program, so Fn+[;'/ for arrows along with VI style hotkeys works for me. I can see where it would be really annoying to someone used to a normal keymap though.

That being said I love my HHKB Pro 2s, and wouldn't change them out for 87s ever.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Priam posted:

I game on a diNovo Edge, I don't see people's beef with it.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Tornhelm posted:

If you're looking at multi-key presses, skip the Illuminated. I ended up switching to a Microsoft X6 because about a third of my combos weren't registering.

Could you list them?

I remember reading about a program a while back that would test a keyboard for multiple-key-press problems, does anyone know the name of it?

edit - durrr it's called KeyScan, and is shown in the Amazon.com video review of the Logitech keyboard.

KracKiwi fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 6, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

KracKiwi posted:

I remember reading about a program a while back that would test a keyboard for multiple-key-press problems, does anyone know the name of it?

edit - durrr it's called KeyScan, and is shown in the Amazon.com video review of the Logitech keyboard.
You could also try this:
http://random.xem.us/rollover.html

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Is there a good Windows equivalent of the aluminum Apple keyboard? I love the one I use with my iMac. I know it works fine with Windows and you can get the buttons working properly, but I figure if I'm buying another keyboard I may as well check if I can get one specifically for Windows.

Also needs to be good for gaming, though I don't need all that macro or LCD display stuff.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

KracKiwi posted:

Could you list them?

I can't really remember all of them (it was when I'd just migrated over from a G15 v1), but I do remember from the basic "left + right shift +" test there were about 8-9 keys missing and that was just on the letters, not numbers/symbols.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I was able to try out a G15 last night and it was one of the squishiest keyboards I've ever used.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

I was able to try out a G15 last night and it was one of the squishiest keyboards I've ever used.

Yep. I actually bought one from Best Buy because I've heard great things about them, took it home, and had it open, played with, and put back in the box to be returned within ten minutes. The keys felt awful.

edit: and that was before I even knew about the super keyboards talked about in this thread.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 9, 2010

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

I've always thought the g11/g15/gwhatever keyboards sucked, never really understood why "gamers" liked them so much. Plus they take up so much loving space on your desk :pwn:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
What is the best place to order a Filco Tenkeyless Chery Blue? I think elite keyboards has been linked a couple times in this thread but they are all out of stock. Any other trustworthy places to order them from?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Priam posted:

I've always thought the g11/g15/gwhatever keyboards sucked, never really understood why "gamers" liked them so much. Plus they take up so much loving space on your desk :pwn:

They probably like them because they look like robot keyboards from the future. Plus, they have that little screen on them that tells people stuff. Honestly though, I have heard that the screen is really useful, but personally I couldn't get past the way the keys felt.

And besides, it's not like any of these "pro, mechanical switch keyboards" are advertised anywhere in any form at all. Most people simply have no idea they exist. I certainly didn't before I found this thread.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Linux Nazi posted:

What is the best place to order a Filco Tenkeyless Chery Blue? I think elite keyboards has been linked a couple times in this thread but they are all out of stock. Any other trustworthy places to order them from?

I think he's the only dude that sells them.

The only people that find the screen on the g11/g15 useful are the people trying to justify spending a ton of money on a terrible keyboard.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Glumwheels posted:

I think he's the only dude that sells them.

The only people that find the screen on the g11/g15 useful are the people trying to justify spending a ton of money on a terrible keyboard.

Not entirely true, I use a G13 that has the exact same screen and it's semi-useful for vent in raids.

And welp that's about it, and there's an overlay that could be used that accomplishes the same thing. Or you could move vent to a second screen I guess.

The G13 owns owns owns though, so it is basically just a bonus to have that pointless screen attached to the thing.

The keys on the G11/G15 would be horrid for typing on regularly though.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

In the US Elite Keyboards is your only real option unless you feel like importing from Japan or Korea. Same for Topre, of which Elite Keyboards is the exclusive American distributor.

GreatGreen posted:

They probably like them because they look like robot keyboards from the future. Plus, they have that little screen on them that tells people stuff. Honestly though, I have heard that the screen is really useful, but personally I couldn't get past the way the keys felt.
Same opinion here. The Logitech G15 et al. are so bad it's almost comical. Why people keep buying that trash I have no idea. Not like it's even cheap...

quote:

And besides, it's not like any of these "pro, mechanical switch keyboards" are advertised anywhere in any form at all. Most people simply have no idea they exist. I certainly didn't before I found this thread.
If you want bad marketing, check out Unicomp, who owns the design rights and tooling to the original IBM Model M. The Das Keyboard guys are the only ones who seem to market properly and what they sell in the current third-gen model is just a rebadged Costar keyboard* (second gen was a Cherry G80-3000).

* Costar also manufacturers the ABS M1 and Filco Zero keyboards. Filco's Majestouch are made in-house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

EnergizerFellow posted:

In the US Elite Keyboards is your only real option unless you feel like importing from Japan or Korea. Same for Topre, of which Elite Keyboards is the exclusive American distributor.

Figured. Welp ordered one but they are back-ordered til the 12th. I guess I can still use my Model-M for home defense.

• Locked thread