Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Bistro: any advice on a CA list, things I should eventually buy/use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

AHHH! You people are so bad! I really want to play some of these games. I can't get my friends to play warhammer but once a month.... Maybe I'll have to look into this Vassal thing you all got going on...

Anyway, anyone heard anything about FSA releases coming up? I have a friend who wanted to play, but no models for the fleet he wants.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

I just read the infinity weapon chart, jesus gently caress HMGs :aaaaa:

At this stage of game development this is probably more "fix this" than "buy this."

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

At this stage of game development this is probably more "fix this" than "buy this."

There are definitely foils to them, from what Ive seen some dude with a HMG seems pretty scary until someone AD jump deploys 9" or more behind them

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

PaintVagrant posted:

Bistro: any advice on a CA list, things I should eventually buy/use?
Can't really give you a comprehensive overview but:
The only real "must" i can give you is the Obsidon (the big worm) and two Slave Drones (the small worms), it's both medic and mechanic at once and with the slave drones it's basically in three places at once.
Other than i like all manners of drones pretty well and the CA ones are basically standard variants from what i remember, unless i'm forgetting something your only access to total reaction and guided missiles.
A Charontid can be very nasty if you're willing to then the ~80 points on it.
And you should have at least one hacker against anyone but Ariadna.

Fix posted:

What? HMGs are nasty if you can get a good salvo off, but they're in no way overpowered.

On the whole i find infinity relatively balanced but it's generally more fun with a bit of a gentleman attitude instead of mercilessly exploiting every possible advantage like Warmachine.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Can't really give you a comprehensive overview but:
The only real "must" i can give you is the Obsidon (the big worm) and two Slave Drones (the small worms), it's both medic and mechanic at once and with the slave drones it's basically in three places at once.
Other than i like all manners of drones pretty well and the CA ones are basically standard variants from what i remember, unless i'm forgetting something your only access to total reaction and guided missiles.
A Charontid can be very nasty if you're willing to then the ~80 points on it.
And you should have at least one hacker against anyone but Ariadna.

Cool thanks man, Whats your opinion on daturazi?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Smoke grenades give them a decent chance to get into melee and if they to their target is most likely dead. From what i remember on top of my head the CA doesn't have too much stuff with multispectral visors though, so you'l be blocing you own LoS as well. They do have a prettly low BS, so i'd go with the variant with the Chain Rifle.
And if you can get the Coma to go off it game be a huge game turner.

All in all perfectly viable as long as they stay away from stuff that can see through the smoke, from my experience against them.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Anyone wanna do some Infinity Vassal this afternoon?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I cant, but bistro and I have a game tomorrow.

Bistro, what points level do you want to do?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What time is that happening? I definitely want to watch.

Also found this reference sheet which seems pretty useful

barkbell fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2010

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I think 250 points with with one battlegroup would be nice, that way we can have a bunch of special stuff and cover most or all of the mechanics at once. (at 250 you could also make two groups of almost entirely cheapo stuff but that's less entertaining. I play this game for invisible ninja hackers and orbital drop drones, not for twenty guys with basic rifles)

And don't forget that slave drones don't count for battlegroup models, it's entirely possible to end up with more than 10 figures.

Edit:
Depending on what you want we could also do lists together and/or play with open lieutenants, drop troops etc, your call.

It's 20:00 for me and i think 14:00 EST

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 3, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ok, 250 sounds good, just bear in mind Ill be slow as heck for the first turn or two trying to keep track of all my guys/special abilities.

Yeah, we are 6 hours apart, so its 2pm for me.

e: in the meantime, Ill write up a list and try to figure out what all my kool aliens do

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
How important are hackers in most lists? In the two games I've proxied with friends neither of us took one and i never felt the need for one. Was there something I was missing?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
In certain scenarios you need hackers to complete the objective. Hackers also have the ability to disable remotes, TAGs, and HI. You can hack through walls, and hack other hackers for damage. You can also defensively hack drop troops and guided missles. Also, you need to have a hacker (or TAG) to use remotes.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KyloWinter posted:

In certain scenarios you need hackers to complete the objective. Hackers also have the ability to disable remotes, TAGs, and HI. You can hack through walls, and hack other hackers for damage. You can also defensively hack drop troops and guided missles. Also, you need to have a hacker (or TAG) to use remotes.

Without reading the rules, this game already sounds awesome.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I need to stop being a lazy gently caress and read the drat infinity rules already. :ohdear:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Unfortunately, the Infinity rules can be sorta confusing at times, especially in regards to taking cover and AROs.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone who wants to spec/hang out in vassal during an infinity game can jump in at 2:00 EST (about 35 minutes from now)

Bistro, we're still on?

If bistro cant make it I think kylo will play, so either way a game is happening

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm still good to go, list is ready, vent installed.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

I'm still good to go, list is ready, vent installed.

cool, see you in 20

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
how'd it go? Cover and los is crucial in infinity and I'm curious as to how the 2d view worked. Especially with changing height and getting on top of things. I checked the server and I didn't see anyone so I'm assuming you finished.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

henne posted:

how'd it go? Cover and los is crucial in infinity and I'm curious as to how the 2d view worked. Especially with changing height and getting on top of things. I checked the server and I didn't see anyone so I'm assuming you finished.

It's still going on

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Anyone who wants to spec/hang out in vassal during an infinity game can jump in at 2:00 EST (about 35 minutes from now)

Bistro, we're still on?

If bistro cant make it I think kylo will play, so either way a game is happening

we had a pretty awesome game, bistro graciously held my hand through a bunch of poo poo I didnt understand very well.

Some interesting things from the game:

- snipers are hard to get LOS with, the vassal terrain is very dense and there really isnt a whole lot of really high stuff to snipe from

- Zonds (nomad remotes) are bastards, especially the one that can drop guided missiles on enemies heads

- A Charontid behind cover is really tough to hurt.

- Having at least one model with multispec visor in your army is pretty much essential.

- drop troops work a lot better when you dont scatter them off the board

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
It was a really cool game to sit and watch, the 3 and a half hours flew by...well maybe not flew...but it was still cool! :D Gonna attempt to read through the rules and get an Ariadna force together, were-wolves and flamers will be my trademark! :) You are right though, nothing makes a game easier to learn that sitting down and playing it (or watching it being played with lots of explanation).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, that was an exceptionally educational game, thanks again Bistro!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I just bought a Malifaux starter box along with a friend. He went for Rasputina, I went for Ramos. Any tips on playing well with him, or what I should get next? My friend bought the geisha mercenary too, I am planning to get the sniper guy so our forces are even.

I'm looking forward to playing something a bit different.

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais
Any chance you could post some pics of the stuff you got in the starter box?

Bistro, you wanted the .AI file of the vectored unit / army badges right? I will try and get the rest pushed out for Monday.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, so I dug out my old Griffin Confrontation stuff, and did a tally of what I have. I didn't realize how much of this stuff I had bought.

Eschelius the Ardent
Misericord
Deacon Tiberius
Inquisitor
2 Templar of the Inquisition
Witch Hunter
4 Templar of Hod
6 Duellists
4 Praetorian Guardsmen
2 Griffin Executioners
4 Griffin Thallions
6 Griffin Conscripts
Abel the Ill-Tempered
5 Griffin Veterans (including a musician, standard)
Magistrate
3 Fusiliers
Fire Elemental

I had no idea I had this much stuff. :psyduck: About half of it is painted, most of it primed. I was thinking of getting rid of it (see earlier) but knowing that I have around 40 men I'm thinking again.

Any ideas what to do with this? Any other games I could run with these guys?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yay, my MonPoc stuff arrived. Cant wait to get a game.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Wiltershaw posted:

Any chance you could post some pics of the stuff you got in the starter box?

Bistro, you wanted the .AI file of the vectored unit / army badges right? I will try and get the rest pushed out for Monday.

Unfortunately I don't have a camera on hand at the moment, but the box contained just the models and the stat cards, nothing else.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Serotonin posted:

Yay, my MonPoc stuff arrived. Cant wait to get a game.

Sweet. :hfive:

What you get?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Sweet. :hfive:

What you get?

S/he got

ebay posted:

33/69 Yasheth
34/69 Ultra Yasheth
36/69 Spitter (x3)
39/69 Elite Squix
40/69 Task Master

PLANET EATER ARMY
ROGZOR
ROGZOR ULTRA
GORGHADRA
GORGHADRA ULTRA
DESTRUCTOMITE X 3
DESTRUCTOMITE ELITE X 2
EXPLODOHAWK X 2
BELCHER X 1
BELCHER ELITE X 4
CRAWLER
OIL REFINERY
APARTMENT BUILDING X 2
DOWNTOWN HIGHRISE X 2
SKYSCRAPER
PLUS DICE BAG, MAPS AND ACCESSORIES

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Furret Basket posted:

S/he got

With that list, I highly recommend getting units from the Savage Swarm faction. They really give PE a lot of help in unit choices. :D

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais

Bob Smith posted:

Unfortunately I don't have a camera on hand at the moment, but the box contained just the models and the stat cards, nothing else.

No worries man, it was 4am and me being lazy. Searching the Internet didn't occur until I woke up later this morning. :v:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

With that list, I highly recommend getting units from the Savage Swarm faction. They really give PE a lot of help in unit choices. :D

I was looking through the Savage Swarm in the gallery the other night, gotta say, love the Mantis's ultra. Mega isn't bad either, stealth the whole swarm?

But I wouldn't run them with just SS models right now, you need some of the planet eaters stuff to give them the versatility.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Manticon's blue stealth is such a pain in the rear end. :mad:

Yeah it's good.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lighttigersoul posted:

I was looking through the Savage Swarm in the gallery the other night, gotta say, love the Mantis's ultra. Mega isn't bad either, stealth the whole swarm?

But I wouldn't run them with just SS models right now, you need some of the planet eaters stuff to give them the versatility.

As a noob in what way do SS help with Planet Eaters?

I got a Now starter set too, came with CyberKhan. Not very impressed with the moel to be honest, the mix of flat white and transparent orange looks pretty shoddy.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Serotonin posted:

As a noob in what way do SS help with Planet Eaters?

I got a Now starter set too, came with CyberKhan. Not very impressed with the moel to be honest, the mix of flat white and transparent orange looks pretty shoddy.

Sadly, UCI figures are the worst looking figures in monpoc. :(

SS gives PE some mobility and range, something a lot of their units are lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, that was an exceptionally educational game, thanks again Bistro!

I had fund as well, and learned stuff about Vassal.

I can't imagine playing Warmachine or anything bigger like that though.

Wiltershaw posted:

Don't sweat it, it's not urgent or anything.
I thought about feeding them into my cutting machine to make logo bases, so it would be great if you could post them in some format that Illustrator can handle.