Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

What sucks about small venues is they have the worst light. So, you either learn quickly how to shoot in bad light or you get frustrated. It's a great place to grow but step into with expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eeek posted:

What sucks about small venues is they have the worst light. So, you either learn quickly how to shoot in bad light or you get frustrated. It's a great place to grow but step into with expectations.
Or you just blitz :)

fenner posted:

Thanks for the writeup psylent, sounds like a lot of effort which i'm not willing to put in as gig photography doesn't interest me a lot, I just wanted to give it a go. I will probably just shoot some small events without getting paid for the experience.
You should really just shoot what you like, and it really helps to shoot music you like, too.

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Got Jemina Pearl and Polysics next week. It's going to be nuts.

Some shots from over the weekend.

The one thing that is a bummer about venues that book across the board (unproven local bands to internationally known acts) is that the artists don't always know how to work it for a crowd or a photographer and another band might not be from the most visually exciting genre. For one of the bands playing (bottom photo)it was their first time performing outside of their small hometown a hour or so out from the club. The touring band, Parade Schedule (top photo), put on a great show but being roots blues/country music I wasn't expecting splits or any crazy member interaction. But it's still better than shooting midwestern nu-metal.

THIS IS RUBBISH fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 2, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I ran across some concert photos done by this photographer that adds fake lens flares into every photo in addition to the usual over-processing. I died a little inside.

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl

HPL posted:

I ran across some concert photos done by this photographer that adds fake lens flares into every photo in addition to the usual over-processing. I died a little inside.

I bet his photos look like a Geocities homepage.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

You should really just shoot what you like, and it really helps to shoot music you like, too.
This is pretty much what I do now. Although it means I have to get to venues ultra early to shoot from anywhere near the front. I'm getting too old to stand around with a bunch of hyped up students for 3 hours waiting for the band to come on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

psylent posted:

This is pretty much what I do now. Although it means I have to get to venues ultra early to shoot from anywhere near the front. I'm getting too old to stand around with a bunch of hyped up students for 3 hours waiting for the band to come on.
Come on, dodging crowd-surfers' half the fun 8)

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Tonight I am shooting Owl City in a venue like that. It's sold out, an all ages show and in a smaller place. I can't wait for all the fun i will have.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, you know who like Owl City? A bunch of screaming teenage girls. However, many of the moms were hot.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Get any shots of Lights?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Some, not a lot. They were awesome, though.

That is what I was working with. I did not want to dig through the crowd.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Bring down the saturation on the magenta channel in that first photo. It'll bring out some detail in the arm.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Anyone shot Porcupine Tree before? I've heard they use a lot of background projections, dunno about the actual band members though. Hopefully the background isn't too busy :ohdear:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

thehustler posted:

I really like both of these. Band looks relaxed in the first shot, and that drummer shot is pretty rad. I always struggle to freeze drummers in the act but when you pull it off it's cool. Sometimes a little bit of blur adds to the shot, of course.
Thanks! The drummer hamming it up because he knows I'm shooting him doesn't hurt either. It's rare I can get so close but that's one of the perks of tiny venues.

ZoCrowes posted:

I'm so jealous you got to see this show. I love both Redbone and Kotke.
Have one (two) more for the road...

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 7, 2010

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Eeek posted:

I'm confused!

I am probably going to go shoot my first concert tonight, Ruben DeGroot at the Mansion in Kingston. The venue is TINY, and one of the reasons I like it is that with such a small space and small crowds they have it lit fairly bright/warm. How is that bad?

I'm looking forward to this, though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

strangemusic posted:

I'm confused!

I am probably going to go shoot my first concert tonight, Ruben DeGroot at the Mansion in Kingston. The venue is TINY, and one of the reasons I like it is that with such a small space and small crowds they have it lit fairly bright/warm. How is that bad?

I'm looking forward to this, though.

It's not, as long as you have a wide angle in your kit to get the whole band in one photo. Most small venues are fairly low budget and:

a) can't afford good lighting
b) can't be bothered to use the lighting they have either out of ignorance or apathy
c) don't use their lights to their fullest because it'll blow the circuits or turn the room into a sweatbox.

That plus small venues seem to have gigantic hardons for red lighting gels which looks like crap on cameras.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

That plus small venues seem to have gigantic hardons for red lighting gels which looks like crap on cameras.

This is why I no longer like small venues. One of the ones I shot in back in MI finally got around to changing that before I left after me and another photographer who have been shooting there for years suggested they up their lighting to set them apart from the rest.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Lately I've been seeing a really popular trend in bands liking .gifs, especially for profile pictures. They're pretty easy to do in Image ready, but what does everyone think of them?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

AtomicManiac posted:

Lately I've been seeing a really popular trend in bands liking .gifs, especially for profile pictures. They're pretty easy to do in Image ready, but what does everyone think of them?

They have their uses.

(my hosting)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

Really? Actually, that's kind of a neat idea as long as it's used properly like for small headshot photos.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

HPL posted:

Really? Actually, that's kind of a neat idea as long as it's used properly like for small headshot photos.

I see it for a few things, the best use was when the band had some choreographed thing they do, and the photographer burst fires at it to catch the move. Another one I saw went around the band, kind of like they were standing still and the last one I saw had a band holding umbrellas, then being "blown away".

If you don't know how to do it in image ready, basically just make a new folder, and put the slides in order as 001,002 (etc) and then select "Input folder as slides". From there it's just tweeking the time and saving as a .gif

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Funny you mention that- I am in Jacksonville, Florida and there is this lady here that has been doing that- shooting bands and making gifs. Like them hopping around or running to/away from the camera. She's been on a kick with that for the last couple of months. And people, meaning the bands, love it and are asking to have it done.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
anybody want to trade cities for a few weeks? seriously getting tired of my venues lighting... starting to feel really stagnant as far as what I can achieve.

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I'm starting to do promo work. I need a gimmick. Shooting with a D3 and primo glass is already taken, as well as making everything look like a jeans advert. This .gif thing, I might have to steal...

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm going to a show on the 22nd, Flogging Molly at the NorVa in Norfolk, Virginia. Anybody here know the area well enough to recommend some magazines or any kind of publication that I might contact about getting a press pass, in return for some photos? How's that usually work?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

jackpot posted:

I'm going to a show on the 22nd, Flogging Molly at the NorVa in Norfolk, Virginia. Anybody here know the area well enough to recommend some magazines or any kind of publication that I might contact about getting a press pass, in return for some photos? How's that usually work?

Theres not much that I have found for music in Hampton Roads. The local paper uses stock photos from the band and hey just shut down the local culture magazine that had food, music, events in it. Any photographer I've seen at the NorVa was there from a larger nationwide magazine. I was also thinking of going to the show, Dropkick is the day after, deciding which one to go to.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I shot an evening last weekend at uni. Two stages, local bands. I was one of 8(!) photographers, and I'm quite happy with what I got.

Whole set here.

I also shot a bit in film for the first time:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Any photographer I've seen at the NorVa was there from a larger nationwide magazine.
That's the answer - I'll just contact Rolling Stone and get them to give me one! :)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I was also thinking of going to the show, Dropkick is the day after, deciding which one to go to.
I haven't seen dropkick murphys, but for what it's worth FM puts on an amazing show, I've seen em a bunch of times.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
finally got out to shoot another gig. First time shooting a concert with the d700. This is all 6400 ISO with natural lighting. Game changing performance IMHO

full set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brillwill/sets/72157623358921682/

miasma blues
May 18, 2008

There fly those who didn't survive the winter.
It's going to be spring soon.
So tonight I took my camera to a concert for the first time. It's way too late to sift through the images and find something presentable, but there's one I have to share right now:

How not to shoot a band live

It was a really small joint, no stage, just 'here's the band, there's the audience'.
Also, the band announced that was their second gig.

wankle
Jun 22, 2004

by Ozma
Friend's band (Memphis Radio Kings) opened for The Blasters at the tractor in Ballard (Seattle) lat night. Lighting was spectacularly bad (extremely orange), and there was no room to move around, but I got a few shots I'm happy with.

Loving my Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Much more useful length than a 50mm on my 7D, and 1/3 the price of the 35L.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

That dude makes some loving ugly faces.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Eeek posted:

I didn't know Matt Dillon had a retarded brother.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
if you had told me that was James Franco I'd have believed it

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Rarely I see a singer make a face like that- I just see them when I look in post. But I watched him make a poo poo load of ugly faces- enough to think 'get the shot, he looks horrible.'

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Most musicians can't play guitar like him, though. That face is permissible when you jam out guitar.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
He can make that face and he still gets to sleep with some of the hottest women in the world. I'd hate to see his O face.

VVVV: She looks like someone who's going to have a lot of plastic surgery in the future.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 8, 2010

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Ask Taylor Swift. :o:

spritely
Oct 13, 2009
So...can we talk about our most harrowing experience? ...

Mine: I'm from Texas. Houston, specifically. I usually do small clubs. But I decided to check out my heroes The Sonics on their reunion show at The Warsaw in Brooklyn, 2007. Big deal for me since I don't EVER travel. This isn't a great shot by any means but for purposes of illustration here's what I got:

So I get there and rumor is the heavies there are shaking down photographers for hundreds of dollars for the privilege of shooting Cavestomp. Actually not a rumor. Pay up at least $300 or NO picutes. This had nothing to do with the organizers OR the bands. Strictly opportunistic fees on the part of the dubious club. I don't give a gently caress about your legit experience with The Warsaw. I've NEVER heard of such a shakedown EVER. Absolute bullshit since all the bands are 60s and 70s bands that would not ever be opposed to photographers at their show, much less the organizers. But whatever...

So knowing this, I have an SLR around my neck and a Holga with a flash in my purse. So I walk in and they immediately confiscate my SLR. "Got any thing else?" Me: no. So they search my purse and find my Holga. I get pulled from the crowd and pulled into the back room by some russian/polish/brooklyn heavies and get the third degree. They take my Holga, my flash and tell me to come back and get it after the show. I play dumb and agree, apologies and all the Texas charm I can muster.

So I waddle into the show. When i get into the crowd I pull the Nikon out that I smuggled in from its hiding place between my legs...thank Jehovah it was winter and it was easy to conceal under my winter clothes....I didn't get great shots, but outrunning the bouncers all night just added to my satisfaction from shooting the show.

Ah, memories...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That's hosed up. I've had a few run-ins with over-zealous security guys, but never anything like that.

Meanwhile - shooting from the side of stage hanging onto a speaker stack with one hand to stop myself falling over:

Black Lips in Sydney

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 8, 2010