Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Goldberg and Hogan were two of the biggest stars during wrestling's hottest period ever. Wasting their first match on free tv doesn't really compare with "wasting" a Rhino/Jarrett rematch, or any rematch for that matter.

I remember thinking Sting/Joe being silly - it ended with a Samoan Drop after like eight minutes - but they were both only around the upper-midcard at that point and you can only save so many matches for ppv without all your tv matches being repeats or squashes. And I can't imagine someone who would've otherwise bought BFG08 deciding not to because Joe and Sting had a short match on tv three years ago. Similarly, Cena and HBK had their first match ever on a Raw in 2005 and iirc they still billed their WM23 match as "for the first time ever".

Yes, they don't compare. But it was at a time when TNA had no star power. They announced Bound For Glory was their Wrestlemania for no reason, and then had the rematch 2 weeks later and reversed the title change. It'd be like if after Wrestlemania I they had a return of the main event on Superstars the next tapings to let you know there's no reason to buy PPVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Yes, they don't compare. But it was at a time when TNA had no star power. They announced Bound For Glory was their Wrestlemania for no reason, and then had the rematch 2 weeks later and reversed the title change. It'd be like if after Wrestlemania I they had a return of the main event on Superstars the next tapings to let you know there's no reason to buy PPVs.

Like the time Angle won against Brock at Summerslam but lost the title back to him on Smackdown weeks later? I'm not sure I agree that losing a title you won at a ppv invalidates that whole show; I could see someone feeling like it cheapens the moment but I'm not on that wavelength I guess. It doesn't affect my potential enjoyment of a card if last year the main event winner lost the title soon after. Either way that's not the same topic as squandering a dream match. I know this is a strawman here, but to me, Hogan/Goldberg would be like giving away HBK/AJ on impact. Right? But you wouldn't say that's just like the time Rhino won the world title at a ppv then lost it immediately.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 5, 2010

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
When did the Rock first say "If you smell what the Rock is cooking?" I've been looking back at the early days of big names, trying to find the origins of their catchphrases and whatnot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Needs More Jazz posted:

When did the Rock first say "If you smell what the Rock is cooking?" I've been looking back at the early days of big names, trying to find the origins of their catchphrases and whatnot.

I believe it was first used at WM 14 during his inteview with Gennier Flowers, but I could be wrong. In fact, that interview had a few great lines.

modern villian
May 4, 2009
I'm planning on going to TNA Lockdown in April in St. Louis. What are usual TNA PPV ticket prices? Should I be concerned about getting tickets the day they go on sale?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

modern villian posted:

I'm planning on going to TNA Lockdown in April in St. Louis. What are usual TNA PPV ticket prices? Should I be concerned about getting tickets the day they go on sale?

If you get them too early you might have to pay for them.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I believe it was first used at WM 14 during his inteview with Gennier Flowers, but I could be wrong. In fact, that interview had a few great lines.

Yes in his book he pointed that out exactly

Question: which wrestler autobiographies are total shoot and which are (at least somewhat) in character?

Shoot: Foley, Hart, etc.
Character: Rock, Rey, etc.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

I haven't heard too many people say WWE is disorganized. While at times they don't have much of a booking plan, everything else is pretty well regimented.

They usually don't have a booking plan at all for anyone below the main event, and their tendency to hire and fire arbitrarily is annoying and reeks of corporate miscommunication. But they're not WCW by a long shot because they're still actually making money.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
"'Stone Cold' Steve Austin's intense, physical, style will meet Tripple H's smooth, technical, style." - Jim "JR" Ross 5/17/1999

Yes HHH's technical wrestling skills.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ultimateforce posted:

"'Stone Cold' Steve Austin's intense, physical, style will meet Tripple H's smooth, technical, style." - Jim "JR" Ross 5/17/1999

Yes HHH's technical wrestling skills.

He actually does have technical wrestling ability. hasnt used it since he stopped being the blue blood but yeah he actually has it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
This was right at the start of the MY TIME!! phase and it made me smirk at work.

Yes, I can watch old wrestling bootlegs at work.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Yes in his book he pointed that out exactly

Question: which wrestler autobiographies are total shoot and which are (at least somewhat) in character?

Shoot: Foley, Hart, etc.
Character: Rock, Rey, etc.

Jericho's is a total shoot but it's not like he has anything really controversial to say. Flair's is also a shoot but at the same time real life Ric Flair and kayfabe Ric Flair are pretty much the same.

I mean, if the book has the WWE logo anywhere on it it's almost definitely gonna be at the very least a little biased toward them, but in the case of someone like Jericho or Bret who got their books published without WWE's endorsement they can get away with a lot more honesty.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

AkumaHokoru posted:

He actually does have technical wrestling ability. hasnt used it since he stopped being the blue blood but yeah he actually has it.

And compared compared to a lot of other wrestlers (especially Austin***) whose entire repertoire is/was mainly *punchpunchpunch* *throw into ropes, clothesline* *punchpunchpunch* *throw into corner, kickkickkick* *throw into ropes, punchpunchpunch* *signature move, other signature move, pin* he's an amazingly technical wrestler.

***= For Austin you'd have to add about 6 Lou Thesz presses in there randomly.

As far as main eventers at that time from the attitude era go, you had The Rock, Austin, and Triple H. Yes, Triple H was the only technical one there who could even come close to being called technical.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Benoit and Jericho were late-attitude era but worked an incredibly great technical style. Same with Angle.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

Benoit and Jericho were late-attitude era but worked an incredibly great technical style. Same with Angle.

Late attitude era was much better about showcasing technical prowess. At the time that quote was taken from though Jericho and Kurt had more or less just started out in the company and Benoit was still in WCW. The only main eventers running around when that quote was taken was Austin, Rock, and Triple H.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
What do people think of Rock's wrestling ability compared to people currently in the main event?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

What do people think of Rock's wrestling ability compared to people currently in the main event?

I'd say he's roughly equivalent to John Cena. He's not going to have a great hold-for-hold wrestling match, but he always came up huge in big match situations.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

TL posted:

I'd say he's roughly equivalent to John Cena. He's not going to have a great hold-for-hold wrestling match, but he always came up huge in big match situations.
This is basically how I feel too. Rock though, while not a fantastic wrestler, was far more exciting to watch in the ring than Cena is.

Still my main complaint with Austin/Rock was always that 9/10 times if you've seen one of their matches, you've seen them all(especially if it was Rock vs. Austin) and that's the same feeling I get with Cena too.

I like all 3 of them much more for their personalities than I do for their wrestling.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Maybe it's just the forums I frequented at the time, but I remember Rock getting a LOT of hate around 2000-2001. People blew a gasket when he randomly started using the Sharpshooter.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

TL posted:

I'd say one big difference in how Rock and Cena's matches are perceived is that brawling outside the ring was a hell of a lot more commonplace during Rock's time.

I was just rewatching Rock's Iron Man match in 2000 and I think one of the reasons it was more well-received than the Shawn-Bret Iron Man was that the time-killer spots that were taken up by restholds in the '96 match were taken up by brawling segments outside the ring in the 2000 match.

Outside of matches with guys like Shawn, Cena's best stuff has mostly been in brawls like the Last Man Standing match with Umaga. Since it seems like WWE wants to limit those kinds of matches nowadays, we mostly get... well, what we're seeing now.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Minidust posted:

Maybe it's just the forums I frequented at the time, but I remember Rock getting a LOT of hate around 2000-2001. People blew a gasket when he randomly started using the Sharpshooter.
That was because his execution of the sharpshooter was anything but excellent. It never seemed like he truly "stretched" his opponent. I'd compare it to Jericho's Lion Tamer once coming to WWE. Of course Jericho made his more of a Boston Crab (and getting rid of putting his knee in the opponent's back - used to be one of my favorite moves to do to friends cause it really loving hurt) but even then, he didn't seem to lean back far enough. Same with Rock's sharpshooter.

I always missed Rock's DDT he did where he floated over his opponent to hit it. I think Swagger did one to HHH this past Monday. Rock's was always very fluid. (I'm pretty sure it's actually called a "float-over DDT" but I could be wrong - and I think Rock's version had a unique name)

Rock belongs to a certain group of wrestlers who had a lot of promise in terms of technical ability before they made it big, and then once making it big, they stopped enhancing their movesets and even cut some of their fan-favorite moves. Some of this has to do with changing from heel to face, some of it probably has to do with facing larger opponents, and some of it would have to do with the person actually gaining a lot of muscle mass. I'd say HHH belongs to this group, too.

It's rare to find guys who actually improve wrestling-wise after making it big. The best examples here would probably be Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Kurt Angle. Of course the three of them have never really gotten that much bigger physically. They got more muscle definition, but nothing like the "transformation" Rock and HHH each went through on their ways to the top.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
haha yeah that's true about HHH's change in size. I remember back in like '96 when HHH was noticeably smaller than most of the roster. He was that guy who would get gorilla-pressed by wrestlers who didn't normally do gorilla-presses.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

LightsGameraAction posted:

And compared compared to a lot of other wrestlers (especially Austin***) whose entire repertoire is/was mainly *punchpunchpunch* *throw into ropes, clothesline* *punchpunchpunch* *throw into corner, kickkickkick* *throw into ropes, punchpunchpunch* *signature move, other signature move, pin* he's an amazingly technical wrestler.

***= For Austin you'd have to add about 6 Lou Thesz presses in there randomly.

As far as main eventers at that time from the attitude era go, you had The Rock, Austin, and Triple H. Yes, Triple H was the only technical one there who could even come close to being called technical.

That sort of move set totally fit into the Stone Cold Steve Austin character. Austin wrestling a technical style after becoming Stone Cold would not have fit the brawling, beer-drinking redneck character. Also I think his neck injury really limited him.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

TenaciousJ posted:

That sort of move set totally fit into the Stone Cold Steve Austin character. Austin wrestling a technical style after becoming Stone Cold would not have fit the brawling, beer-drinking redneck character. Also I think his neck injury really limited him.

I know that. For as much as I enjoyed it, one of my biggest criticisms of the early Attitude Era(for both companies) was how little actual wrestling ability was at the top of the mountain.

In the WWE Triple H basically carried that torch until Kurt got his big push and the actually talented guys from WCW started abandoning ship and getting the pushes they deserved in WWE.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Austin's matches should have been 100% stunners.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

cletus42o posted:

That was because his execution of the sharpshooter was anything but excellent. It never seemed like he truly "stretched" his opponent. I'd compare it to Jericho's Lion Tamer once coming to WWE. Of course Jericho made his more of a Boston Crab (and getting rid of putting his knee in the opponent's back - used to be one of my favorite moves to do to friends cause it really loving hurt) but even then, he didn't seem to lean back far enough. Same with Rock's sharpshooter.

I always missed Rock's DDT he did where he floated over his opponent to hit it. I think Swagger did one to HHH this past Monday. Rock's was always very fluid. (I'm pretty sure it's actually called a "float-over DDT" but I could be wrong - and I think Rock's version had a unique name)

Rock belongs to a certain group of wrestlers who had a lot of promise in terms of technical ability before they made it big, and then once making it big, they stopped enhancing their movesets and even cut some of their fan-favorite moves. Some of this has to do with changing from heel to face, some of it probably has to do with facing larger opponents, and some of it would have to do with the person actually gaining a lot of muscle mass. I'd say HHH belongs to this group, too.

It's rare to find guys who actually improve wrestling-wise after making it big. The best examples here would probably be Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Kurt Angle. Of course the three of them have never really gotten that much bigger physically. They got more muscle definition, but nothing like the "transformation" Rock and HHH each went through on their ways to the top.

With wrestling games I usually stuck with CAWs but there was a particular game that I cant remember that fORCED me to use The Rock, because every time you hit that move Jim Ross would scream 'THE ROCK ROCKS THE BODY THAT ROCKS THE PARTY'. It was loving awesome. DDT THEROCKROCKSTHEBODYTHATROCKSTHE DDT THEROCKROCKSTHEBODYTHA DDT THEROCKROCKSTHE

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This was Shane in WWF Attitude.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Ok - How does one confuse Rock and Shane

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
No, I mean Shane was the commentator that said that phrase in WWF Attitude. Not JR.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

No, I mean Shane was the commentator that said that phrase in WWF Attitude. Not JR.

Oh thank gently caress. Thought I'd gone batshit

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Web Jew.0 posted:

If you get them too early you might have to pay for them.
Really, though. They paper the poo poo out of the events.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Someone will eventually answer, painfully, for the decision of making Shane and King the commentators for Attitude.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Probably the same guy that decided to make it combo based

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah for a long time wrestling games were pretty much mortal kombat with wrestlers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Karmine posted:

Yeah for a long time wrestling games were pretty much mortal kombat with wrestlers.

Holy poo poo, I never thought about that. You're right.

I remember the SNES Royal Rumble game being my time-waster of choice back in the day, and the gameplay was pretty much 'get your opponent to red life, hit finisher, pin'.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

As WWE Elimination Chamber: the PPV approaches, which is your favorite Elimination Chamber Match? Mine is a tie between Elimination Chamber 1 and the Raw Chamber from NWO 09.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

projecthalaxy posted:

As WWE Elimination Chamber: the PPV approaches, which is your favorite Elimination Chamber Match? Mine is a tie between Elimination Chamber 1 and the Raw Chamber from NWO 09.

Whichever one had Edge take out Kofi beforehand and wind up winning the title. I think it was the Raw one from last year. Chamber matches all kind of blend together for me, as for the most part there's nothing to set them apart. It's a similar thing with MITB matches.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there really isn't one standout EC match. The Summerslam 2003 one would have been head and shoulders above the rest if they had done the right finish.

It's funny because they introduced it to one-up HIAC, but it never gained the HOLY poo poo rep that HIAC had for a few years. HIAC started to lose its luster around then as well.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Whichever one was when they talked up the unbreakable chambers or whatever and Goldberg speared Jericho through one.

According to wikipedia, Triple H is 4-1 in elimination chamber matches. Shawn Michaels is the reason for that one loss, so the odds are in Triple H's favor in the upcoming one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

NYR 2006 easy