Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Good price on some track/street rubber -- Bridgestone BT-002RS 120/70r17 | 190/55r17 set for 200 bucks:

https://www.cyclesector.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Good price on some track/street rubber -- Bridgestone BT-002RS 120/70r17 | 190/55r17 set for 200 bucks:

https://www.cyclesector.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=465

holy poo poo that is cheap

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
Is it dangerous to mix and match different tire classes front to back? I'm tempted to move up to Dunlop GPA from the Q2s I'm on right now. The front has a lot of tread left and the rear might need replacing after a weekend or two. Bad idea to run a DOT rear and street/track front, right?

For 50-60F weather, is it worth it to move up without warmers or would they be more useful after warmer weather? I'm still slow as molasses, but I have a few weekends coming up in the next couple months. Already have a spare Q2 rear, but I can still return it.

Any experience with rain tires? Is it worth picking up a spare set of rims for rain insurance? How quickly do they burn up when the track starts drying up -- do you have a lap or two?

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 28, 2010

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've had good luck with Tire Express. Ground shipping was fast and free (for orders over $100) and their prices were the best I had found online.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lokigoesrawr posted:

Is it dangerous to mix and match different tire classes front to back? I'm tempted to move up to Dunlop GPA from the Q2s I'm on right now. The front has a lot of tread left and the rear might need replacing after a weekend or two. Bad idea to run a DOT rear and street/track front, right?

Nope that's fine, just as long as you keep the same brand on both ends. Make sure you have a stickier compound on the front that the rear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lokigoesrawr posted:

For 50-60F weather, is it worth it to move up without warmers or would they be more useful after warmer weather? I'm still slow as molasses, but I have a few weekends coming up in the next couple months. Already have a spare Q2 rear, but I can still return it.

Any experience with rain tires? Is it worth picking up a spare set of rims for rain insurance? How quickly do they burn up when the track starts drying up -- do you have a lap or two?

I've done it before. I wouldn't do it on the track, but for casual street riding I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you're learning to ride quicker on the twisties right now, then I'd say you should stick with the same front and rear.

I'm running a Michelin P1 front and a Dunlop Qualifier rear on the ZX6R right now, it does just fine.

For the sake of it though, I'd pull the front and just swap everything out. Hawk the tires for a hundred bucks to some rider in need, or just keep them around as spares.

I've never run rains, I know some guys who use them as track tires on their Sumos. We may pick some up for the endurance race at Miller, just in case, but honestly, I'd run Pilot Powers in the rain and just respect the limits. Sure you can get a knee down in the wet with rains, but why push it like that? There's a lot to learn when you're running on a traction limited bike but at a relatively low pace.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Pilot races on the street this time of year..how retarded of an idea is this? Temps should be heating up pretty soon but as of current the average is around 30-50F. I've never ran on them before so I have no clue how long they take to warm up, especially in cooler weather. Just wondering if I can scrape by with them for a few weeks until I can pull together the money for some power 2CT's.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

-Inu- posted:

Pilot races on the street this time of year..how retarded of an idea is this? Temps should be heating up pretty soon but as of current the average is around 30-50F. I've never ran on them before so I have no clue how long they take to warm up, especially in cooler weather. Just wondering if I can scrape by with them for a few weeks until I can pull together the money for some power 2CT's.

It's not a great idea. It's not the worst thing to do ever, but you're gonna need to be careful and feel out the traction. How old are they? If you have to scrape by with them, it's possible, but still not recommended.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

They were used for one track weekend down at jennings in late december. I'll just be using them for commuting so they shouldn't ever see any sort of lean angles. Is it easy to lose traction on them from accel/braking in a relatively straight line? I've never used race tires before.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I can't imagine a 250 getting that gnarly in any conditions...

Be careful in the wet, the rear might wiggle if you do a big dumb drop-the-clutch downshift when its cold out, but other than that just take it easy and don't go for knee down in the cold and you'll be fine. It's not like you are going to light up the rear under acceleration anytime soon.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Post pics of your 250 track day.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Oops sorry, it's not for the two-fiddy. You could prolly WOT the 250 on pure ice and still keep traction, heh. They're for an R6, so slightly more acceleration there.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm thinking about getting some new tires for my V-Strom DL1000 soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any particular opinions about some good long life, street oriented tires for it. I've heard that the Metzeler Marathon ME880s (in bias ply versus radial apparently?) are pretty much the longest-lived tires around but, in exchange, aren't terribly grippy. On the other hand, Metzeler Tourance tires are apparently much grippier (and can handle a fire road or too) but aren't quite as long lived. Then again, there are quite a few people that love their Michelin Anakees as well.

I know what it comes down to is what I'm gonna do with it, as I won't be going offroad anytime soon with the ME880s (aka an Goldwing tire made for Iron Butt rides), but it's so drat tempting to not have to pay for another tire change for 20K miles.

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?
edit: nevermind

Net Boners fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 11, 2010

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Z3n posted:

What pressure should I run?
There's not one catch all answer here. Each motorcycle will recommend a different pressure. Some bikes can recommend as low as 26F/26R, others can recommend as high as 38F/42R. In general, the baseline that most agree on for standards and sportbikes running modern radials on the street tends to be around 32-34F/34-36R, depending tire construction and the weight of the bike. The big bikes will run higher pressures to compensate for the additional weight.

Maybe a dumb question, bear with me. I've skimmed through the pages quickly but didn't find anything :effort:

Are pressures dependent more on the bike or the tire? I had some Pilot Powers put on at the beginning of January and the tire shop had the pressures set higher than I ran the previous tires; 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. What should I be running at on a 2004 SV650? The SV stickers say 33/36 but is that for the OEM tires? The only numbers the Pilot Powers show are for max load, 42/41. The last two times I checked pressure I set it at 34 and 38 but what should I be running at?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Maybe a dumb question, bear with me. I've skimmed through the pages quickly but didn't find anything :effort:

Are pressures dependent more on the bike or the tire? I had some Pilot Powers put on at the beginning of January and the tire shop had the pressures set higher than I ran the previous tires; 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. What should I be running at on a 2004 SV650? The SV stickers say 33/36 but is that for the OEM tires? The only numbers the Pilot Powers show are for max load, 42/41. The last two times I checked pressure I set it at 34 and 38 but what should I be running at?

Pressures mostly depend on the weight of the motorcycle. 33/36 is the "correct" pressure for an SV, but there's no such thing as a really correct pressure, just what's right for you and the sort of riding you do. I'll boost my bikes up higher for commute duty and lower if they're mostly ridden aggressively.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Awesome, thanks Z3n.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Awesome, thanks Z3n.

No problem. I just actually realized that I wasn't completely clear there and that the important thing is really the total weight of the bike and passengers/luggage, not just the weight of the bike, so take it all into account. If you're gonna load 100 pounds of luggage on the bike or take a passenger for significant distance, it'd probably be a good idea to up the pressures a few PSI to account for that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The tires on the DRZ are completely shot, front and rear. Currently running Avon Distanzias. The DRZ is mostly for street use and messing around but does see dirt/gravel/single track from time to time, hopefully more in the future. I'm guessing 90/10 to 80/20 street/dirt riding. Don't need anything really off road oriented just capable of some mild adventure riding and fire road short cuts.

I have done a bit of searching and seeing what people on ADV are using but am still pretty open to suggestions. I don't want knobbies, just a street oriented dual sport tire. Pretty sure it is a 120 front and could run a 140/150 on the back.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NitroSpazzz posted:

The tires on the DRZ are completely shot, front and rear. Currently running Avon Distanzias. The DRZ is mostly for street use and messing around but does see dirt/gravel/single track from time to time, hopefully more in the future. I'm guessing 90/10 to 80/20 street/dirt riding. Don't need anything really off road oriented just capable of some mild adventure riding and fire road short cuts.

I have done a bit of searching and seeing what people on ADV are using but am still pretty open to suggestions. I don't want knobbies, just a street oriented dual sport tire. Pretty sure it is a 120 front and could run a 140/150 on the back.

Maybe Anakee or Tourance? They're pretty popular dual-sport tires.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

For what it's worth, I've seen people run Pilot Powers on dirt and gravel without any issues. They're not hauling rear end or anything, but there's a point where if you're not gonna have aggressive tires and 95% of your riding will be on the street, you may as well run the tires that give you the most traction for the vast majority of the time that you ride.

Barring that, I'd stick with the Distanzias.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bumping this up to save it from archives, the last thing I want to do is have to rewrite it all. :suicide:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

For what it's worth, I've seen people run Pilot Powers on dirt and gravel without any issues. They're not hauling rear end or anything, but there's a point where if you're not gonna have aggressive tires and 95% of your riding will be on the street, you may as well run the tires that give you the most traction for the vast majority of the time that you ride.

Barring that, I'd stick with the Distanzias.

Went with Pilot Sports. They are sticky and work just fine for the limited off-roading I do.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
I've ordered about five tires through American Motorcycle Tire now, they usually have low prices and ship fairly quickly. Just throwing them out there for a online retailer, becuase if you live in rural area like me, nobody sells motorcycle tires locally.

http://www.americanmototire.com

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Bumping this up to save it from archives, the last thing I want to do is have to rewrite it all. :suicide:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcdxp8g6_0cnph5rfg

Not the most friendly URL - but at least it's saved (and you know I have it), and I'll grab the collected knowledge and add it when I get some time.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Anyone ever use Pilot Road 2's? I will very likely pick up a set of sport touring tires before my long trip this year, since I'd more or less fry a set of more sport oriented set of tires in just that one trip.

Something that works better in cool/wet conditions would be a bonus, as a decent chunk of my riding here in Iowa is done with temps below 50F. If there's no serious snow and I can make it out of my driveway, it's fair game. The Dunlop Qualifiers on my bike really suck in these conditions.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

needknees posted:

Anyone ever use Pilot Road 2's? I will very likely pick up a set of sport touring tires before my long trip this year, since I'd more or less fry a set of more sport oriented set of tires in just that one trip.

Something that works better in cool/wet conditions would be a bonus, as a decent chunk of my riding here in Iowa is done with temps below 50F. If there's no serious snow and I can make it out of my driveway, it's fair game. The Dunlop Qualifiers on my bike really suck in these conditions.

I put a Pilot Road 2 on the back of the SV early last week and am liking it so far. Did a 500 mile interstate trip, a week of commuting and some playtime in the twisties. Good grip so far, will be interesting to see how long they last.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

needknees posted:

I used a set of Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on my 599 for my Alaska trip. They worked so well in all conditions I run them all the time on the bike now. They are as good or better in every aspect than the Pilot Roads that came on the bike.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
When washing your bike, is there any specific treatment one would use on motorcycle tires? Something like armor all or a tire black equivalent?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ari.gato posted:

When washing your bike, is there any specific treatment one would use on motorcycle tires? Something like armor all or a tire black equivalent?

Just scrub them with a stiff brush, water, and whatever soap you're washing your bike with. Tire dressing is SERIOUSLY slick stuff -- making your bike look a little better isn't worth potentially binning it because you got some on the contact area of the tires.

Skier posted:

I used a set of Pirelli Scorpion Syncs on my 599 for my Alaska trip. They worked so well in all conditions I run them all the time on the bike now. They are as good or better in every aspect than the Pilot Roads that came on the bike.

I'll have to look into those. From what I've heard/read the Pilot Roads kinda suck, but the newer Pilot Road 2's are freakin amazing. At least your experience with the Roads fit into what I've heard...

--Edit--

Trying to figure out if it's worth it to get some sort of tire changing machine or pay out the rear end to have a shop swap tires for me. I do a fair bit of riding and living in boring rear end Iowa means I have a lot of ground to cover before getting to anything interesting, so sport touring tires aren't a bad idea. I'm also going to do a number of track days this year and would like to use stickier rubber. I could run sport tires year round but they really suck in a lot of the weather I ride in and I end up flatspotting the poo poo out of them since the majority of "corners" around here are 90 degree intersections between corn/bean fields :haw:

I don't really want to pay 50 bucks a pop to get things changed over... the cheapest I've found in my area is $25/wheel, off the bike. Add another 10-20 bucks if I just bring the bike in.

Cue me thinking about a tire changer. It seems the two most common options are the Harbor Freight setup and NoMar... NoMar seems a lot nicer but is way more expensive. Anyone have experience with both of these?

needknees fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 23, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

No, don't treat your tires with anything unless you like crashing.

needknees posted:

Just scrub them with a stiff brush, water, and whatever soap you're washing your bike with. Tire dressing is SERIOUSLY slick stuff -- making your bike look a little better isn't worth potentially binning it because you got some on the contact area of the tires.

I'll have to look into those. From what I've heard/read the Pilot Roads kinda suck, but the newer Pilot Road 2's are freakin amazing. At least your experience with the Roads fit into what I've heard...

--Edit--

Trying to figure out if it's worth it to get some sort of tire changing machine or pay out the rear end to have a shop swap tires for me. I do a fair bit of riding and living in boring rear end Iowa means I have a lot of ground to cover before getting to anything interesting, so sport touring tires aren't a bad idea. I'm also going to do a number of track days this year and would like to use stickier rubber. I could run sport tires year round but they really suck in a lot of the weather I ride in and I end up flatspotting the poo poo out of them since the majority of "corners" around here are 90 degree intersections between corn/bean fields :haw:

I don't really want to pay 50 bucks a pop to get things changed over... the cheapest I've found in my area is $25/wheel, off the bike. Add another 10-20 bucks if I just bring the bike in.

Cue me thinking about a tire changer. It seems the two most common options are the Harbor Freight setup and NoMar... NoMar seems a lot nicer but is way more expensive. Anyone have experience with both of these?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274113

I've used the no mar in the past, it's not nice enough to justify the premium.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

No, don't treat your tires with anything unless you like crashing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3274113

I've used the no mar in the past, it's not nice enough to justify the premium.

How did I miss that? :psyduck:

After reading through your thread I was looking hard at the Harbor Freight stuff, then I found this:

http://www.cyclehill-tirechanger-secure.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

Slightly cheaper version of the No-Mar, made by... No-Mar. Comes with their nice bar for $365 shipped.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

How did I miss that? :psyduck:

After reading through your thread I was looking hard at the Harbor Freight stuff, then I found this:

http://www.cyclehill-tirechanger-secure.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

Slightly cheaper version of the No-Mar, made by... No-Mar. Comes with their nice bar for $365 shipped.

Meh. That removes the only real gain of the no-mar system. It's essentially a harbor freight knockoff, which is pretty harsh to say. I'm not sure what you're going to break on a HF kit.

http://www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/products/compare

Their comparo is pretty much BS...I've got a no scratch harbor freight setup with a no-mar bar, lube, blah blah blah, for 115$ cheaper than theirs, plus tire irons, 2 clamps, and a bunch of other stuff. Plus you can pick up the harbor freight in person, for cheaper than 115$. But the harbor freight stuff doesn't give you 4 bolts and a masonry bit! :qq: If I were going to spend 365$ on that poo poo, I'd just buy the no-mar kit for 500 with the locking cams to hold the wheels in place.

But I'm cheap almost to a fault.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 24, 2010

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

needknees posted:

--Edit--

You don't need a machine, one of my buds can change tires faster by hand in his garage than he can by using our machine. I'm not sure what his setup is at home though. I could check if you'd like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

You don't need a machine, one of my buds can change tires faster by hand in his garage than he can by using our machine. I'm not sure what his setup is at home though. I could check if you'd like.

You don't need a machine, but goddamn is it handy. Holds the tire in place for you, keeps everything stable, provides something to lever against, no need to worry about scratching up rims or bending rotors if you use it right, etc.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
the only time i ever really wish I had a machine when doing my KLR tires, is for breaking the bead, god I hate breaking the bead

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

-Inu- posted:

Definitely interested :).

Z3n posted:

Meh. That removes the only real gain of the no-mar system. It's essentially a harbor freight knockoff, which is pretty harsh to say. I'm not sure what you're going to break on a HF kit.

Would that be the quick wheel lock?

I'm a tightass too but I don't mind dumping a little coin on something that's going to seriously reduce the frustration level of getting something done, or something that's of such higher quality of the competition that it's not even close. Apparently this is not the case with the HF stuff v. No-Mar/CycleHill. I was looking at it in the cost perspective of once you get the HF kit, add the Mojolever and blocks you're pretty close to what the CycleHill kit costs. If it's no better there's no reason to spend the extra money though.

Fuckin tires :(

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I figure if the tire is still round... that's all that really matters anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

the only time i ever really wish I had a machine when doing my KLR tires, is for breaking the bead, god I hate breaking the bead

Have you set up a wall bead breaker or anything?

needknees posted:

Definitely interested :).

Would that be the quick wheel lock?

I'm a tightass too but I don't mind dumping a little coin on something that's going to seriously reduce the frustration level of getting something done, or something that's of such higher quality of the competition that it's not even close. Apparently this is not the case with the HF stuff v. No-Mar/CycleHill. I was looking at it in the cost perspective of once you get the HF kit, add the Mojolever and blocks you're pretty close to what the CycleHill kit costs. If it's no better there's no reason to spend the extra money though.

Fuckin tires :(

Yeah, the cam lock. I don't mind spending money on something, but honestly, if I did it all over, I don't know if I'd buy the mount-dismount bar...the HF stuff seems to work just as well and I seem to always end up using the tire irons anyways. :iiam:

Zool posted:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I figure if the tire is still round... that's all that really matters anyways.

Very impressive. :golfclap:

How bad was the landing, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
http://www.motostrano.com/masufrwh.html :riker: <- What the hell happened to the non-startrek version of this?

• Locked thread