Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

Whichever one was when they talked up the unbreakable chambers or whatever and Goldberg speared Jericho through one.

According to wikipedia, Triple H is 4-1 in elimination chamber matches. Shawn Michaels is the reason for that one loss, so the odds are in Triple H's favor in the upcoming one.

Pretty sure in the first 3 chambers the pods always got broken into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved the first elimination chamber, I thought the final three of Jericho/HBK/HHH was excellent and I actually convinced myself that Jericho was going to somehow pull the rug out from under the other two and win the belt. I was so happy when HBK won :)

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Which one was the one where it took a Codebreaker, Sweet Chin Music, Pedigree, and Swanton to put Umaga down after he samoan dropped two people at once?

That one.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I really loving loved the New Year's Revolution one that was built around Big Dave. But the best Chamber moment is Edge cashing in the first MITB.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

jeffersonlives posted:

But the best Chamber moment is Edge cashing in the first MITB.

Yes. It's one of the few WWE DVDs I own, mostly because I really enjoy reliving that moment. I get chills each time Edge's music hits, when he enters, and when he wins.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Extreme Elimination Chamber was the best Elimination Chamber, am I right?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Hockles posted:

Yes. It's one of the few WWE DVDs I own, mostly because I really enjoy reliving that moment. I get chills each time Edge's music hits, when he enters, and when he wins.

It's really one of the best angles they've done in the last decade. The match itself, such as it is, was even worked really smartly. Cena kicks out of the first spear, everyone is preparing themselves for Cena to OVERCOME THE ODDS again, then Edge just casually spears him again and pins him clean.

It's also one of the most successful, they turned Edge into an instant superstar and ratings draw in one night after he'd spent years as a stale midcarder.

eta: Part of what helped so much was that Cena and Batista were both on ten month title reigns at the time. When you change the titles so infrequently and make it a really big deal when a title does change, the title switch actually means something. So of course WWE did the opposite and started flipping the titles all the time shortly after this.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 6, 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jeffersonlives posted:

It's also one of the most successful, they turned Edge into an instant superstar and ratings draw in one night after he'd spent years as a stale midcarder.

I agree Edge became a top star and cemented his role in the main event with that cash-in, but he's been making very well received pushes towards main event spots for years before then (normally as a face, and VERY over) but kept getting injured at the worst possible times and losing all his momentum.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I agree Edge became a top star and cemented his role in the main event with that cash-in, but he's been making very well received pushes towards main event spots for years before then (normally as a face, and VERY over) but kept getting injured at the worst possible times and losing all his momentum.

Modern WWE almost never gives guys that last shove to main event status who have been floating around in the upper-midcard for a long period. Occasionally someone like Booker T or Mysterio will float up to the main events for awhile, but they're not viewed by the company as real top guys and as soon as they drop out of title feuds they're back to an upper-midcard spot. It's rare that a guy becomes an official Vince-approved Top Guy, where he's always in the main event, after being established as less than that for years beforehand. Edge is one of the rare exceptions to that.

When I said Edge was stale, it's more a knock on the booking than Edge himself. He'd been stuck at the same upper-midcard level with mostly the same opponents for five years. They probably should have went with him years earlier, and might have if he hadn't had his neck fused in 2003, but most guys in that position they never go with.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What was truly amazing about the first Edge reign is that people reacted to him, he was a fresh face in the title scene, and he actually popped the ratings...

...and they stayed with their HHH-Cena plan, having HHH win some laughable #1 contender's tournament :geno:

Also the perfect time for Edge was around 2003 or so. He went from comedy tag guy, to solid midcard dude, to slowly becoming a fringe main eventer during the Smackdown 6 era, but the injury really derailed him. Plus his face run in 2004 was a mini-disaster. The guy just never adapted to it and it was a huge flop.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

What was truly amazing about the first Edge reign is that people reacted to him, he was a fresh face in the title scene, and he actually popped the ratings...

...and they stayed with their HHH-Cena plan, having HHH win some laughable #1 contender's tournament :geno:

Also the perfect time for Edge was around 2003 or so. He went from comedy tag guy, to solid midcard dude, to slowly becoming a fringe main eventer during the Smackdown 6 era, but the injury really derailed him. Plus his face run in 2004 was a mini-disaster. The guy just never adapted to it and it was a huge flop.

The worst part about his ic title reign was when he retained at summerslam in toronto and got booed (even though he's a canadian/face).

After he won the tag titles with christian then said he's already won them enough times and starts freaking out about the world title I was lollin though

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

They had already spent too much on set design.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I can't believe he kept the water bottle for that entrance

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
He should have borrowed Gangrel's goblet.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
You know, I've been wondering what happened to dragging your opponent into position if you have a top rope finisher? The opponent gets knocked down like halfway across the ring and has to squirm into position now (well, for awhile anyway). It just looks really dumb and takes me right out of the match.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Suben posted:

You know, I've been wondering what happened to dragging your opponent into position if you have a top rope finisher? The opponent gets knocked down like halfway across the ring and has to squirm into position now (well, for awhile anyway). It just looks really dumb and takes me right out of the match.
On a similar note, why does Starship Pain semi-whiff almost every time? You'd think Morrison would catch on after overshooting it so much. With that said, I'm wondering if it's just an especially unsafe move to take head on, and the light grazing is intentional.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
What made the WWE change its mind and allow the shooting star press again?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Evan Bourne never fucks it up.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Captain Charisma posted:

On the other hand, the final match of that tournament gave us Sandman Fan.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Pretty much what KFG said. With Billy Kidman and Brock Lesnar loving them up to nearly disastrous results they decided to cut their losses and just not let anyone (except Paul London, I think) do it. Bourne's is so clean that they decided to let it slide.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CM Junk posted:

Bourne's is so clean that they decided to let it slide.

They made him prove to them that he can hit it clean before he was allowed to do it in the ring.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Timby posted:

Someone will eventually answer, painfully, for the decision of making Shane and King the commentators for Attitude.

I think the "decision" was made by J.R's Bell's Palsy. And like the commenery was the worst thing about that game, I can't believe that's what got me watching wrestling. And then WM2000 took all the hurt away...

And then I played ECW Hardcore Revolution anyway...

Anyhow, are there any openly, actually gay wrestlers active out there? I know there's Kanyon and I think Gerald Brisco (I know one of the stooges, and when I have to guess I'm going to default to the guy called "Gerald")

Got thinking about that when WeasleWeaz linked this, and someone posted about all the homophobic humour in WWE in particular. I really think if they are going PG they should try to set up positive role models about this sort of thing.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 7, 2010

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyhow, are there any openly, actually gay wrestlers active out there? I know there's Kanyon and I think Gerald Brisco (I know one of the stooges, and when I have to guess I'm going to default to the guy called "Gerald")

It was the other stooge - Pat Patterson.

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead
Is there still a wrestlehut zirc channel?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

Is there still a wrestlehut zirc channel?

irc.synirc.net, #wh2k

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead
Gracias.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Minidust posted:

On a similar note, why does Starship Pain semi-whiff almost every time? You'd think Morrison would catch on after overshooting it so much. With that said, I'm wondering if it's just an especially unsafe move to take head on, and the light grazing is intentional.

I think the whiff is on purpose, do you see how hard his knees come down every time? It looks like it could legit hurt.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Why doesn't Morrison have a finisher called The End?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Fallon posted:

Why doesn't Morrison have a finisher called The End?

Because he has not been making conscious Doors parodies for years now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sionistic posted:

I think the whiff is on purpose, do you see how hard his knees come down every time? It looks like it could legit hurt.
I believe Morrison really stiffed Tyson Kidd with Starship Pain when he landed on his face in this match. Granted, I still think his knees took a lot of the impact, but Kidd looked legit dazed for a moment after the match.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is Kanyon gay? I thought he said at some point that it was a publicity stunt and I get the impression he goes back and forth on it.

And there's Men's Teioh who's legit gay. Danshoku Dino's gimmick is an over-the-top parody of him I believe. Dino himself is straight, though, I think.

Orlando Jordan's bi.

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 7, 2010

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Minidust posted:

http://www.prideprowrestling.com/

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Throughout all of history, how many Japanese tables have actually been broken in half? I'd say maybe 3 or maybe 10.

Edit: look at that fuckin doublepost

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

And then WM2000 took all the hurt away...

This game is crazy. For years I figured that it was just hard since I was a kid. Then I got it again and the difficulty was absurd. I was Undertaker wrestling on Heat vs. Gangrel and the guy starts spamming bullshit moves, not giving me a single opportunity to retaliate. I thought No Mercy's rubberbanding and backstage handicap matches were bad, but at least they gave you a chance to win :pwn:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kerck Pnameless posted:

I believe Morrison really stiffed Tyson Kidd with Starship Pain when he landed on his face in this match. Granted, I still think his knees took a lot of the impact, but Kidd looked legit dazed for a moment after the match.

There is also this video where he almost kills Charlie Haas.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 7, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Captain Charisma posted:

This game is crazy. For years I figured that it was just hard since I was a kid. Then I got it again and the difficulty was absurd. I was Undertaker wrestling on Heat vs. Gangrel and the guy starts spamming bullshit moves, not giving me a single opportunity to retaliate. I thought No Mercy's rubberbanding and backstage handicap matches were bad, but at least they gave you a chance to win :pwn:
Run to the ropes, slide under them and face the ring from the apron. 100% of the time, your opponent will come charging at you for an easy missile dropkick. It's the only way to break the game into a win after you've had the poo poo beaten out of you by the Undertaker in three moves.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Run to the ropes, slide under them and face the ring from the apron. 100% of the time, your opponent will come charging at you for an easy missile dropkick. It's the only way to break the game into a win after you've had the poo poo beaten out of you by the Undertaker in three moves.

It didn't help he was facing Gangrel, who for some reason was incredibly strong in that game.

Question: Who was the black guy in the FBI?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

KungFu Grip posted:

Question: Who was the black guy in the FBI?

Mabel?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
JT Smith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CVagts posted:

JT Smith?

Yeah that one. I didn't even realize Mabel was ever in ECW. The guy I was thinking about was the one that Botched moves.