Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compo
Mar 30, 2007

Cats have been killed for less.

Baby_Hippo posted:

1. People will never stop not taking of themselves or getting sick so there will always be a need for nurses. But you should want to get into the job because it's what you want to do, not because it's "recession proof."

2. No. Here is the breakdown for your current schedule, if you are planning on going to community college and have not taken ANY classes so far:

2 years for your associates degree
2 years for nursing prerequisite classes
2 years of nursing school

Of course the first four years will only be accomplished in that amount of time if you seriously bust your balls. You will NOT be able to work more than twenty hours a week at your job while in nursing school, unless you retain knowledge very well or can survive on very little sleep.

3. I don't know where you are but here LPN/LVN programs are only one semester shorter than RN and require all the same prereqs - why waste your time and money if you just want to go on to being a RN?

Not sure where you are located. I am in my last semester of nursing school, and it didn't take six years at all. I did two years at a community college getting prerequisites (and the associates degree), then transferred to KU. It was another two years for a BSN. Total: 4 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Totally Negro posted:

Yea I understand that, but no other health professional goes out of their way to make it that clear, even the "mean old" surgeons I've worked with.
Nurses care a lot about their patients they are with them 13 hours a day instead of just popping in for 14 minutes once a day and receiving a couple calls during the night when they crash. We really just don't want you to gently caress anything up too much.

Lycanthropic Howl
May 4, 2005
Why is it that when you kill a man in the heat of battle it's considered heroism, But when you kill a man in the heat of a passion it's considered murder

Compo posted:

Not sure where you are located. I am in my last semester of nursing school, and it didn't take six years at all. I did two years at a community college getting prerequisites (and the associates degree), then transferred to KU. It was another two years for a BSN. Total: 4 years

Yeah I'm with you, 6 years seems a bit excessive unless you're taking like 6 hours a semester.

I knocked all of my prereqs out taking 12 hours one semester and then anatomy and physiology as an 8 weeker in the summer. A&P as an 8 week class sucked but frankly, I would encourage anyone interested in nursing to to do just that, take it as an 8 week class. As badly as I thought that sucked, so far the nursing program has made A%P seem like some kind of magical land of blow jobs, ice cream, and fluffy pillows. Anatomy and Physiology around these parts is known as the "Hard Class" and it's more or less the class that is used to weed out the incredible morons and dip shits, from your more run of the mill standard morons and dip shits like myself.

I'm a month into an LPN program and at least in Kansas the LPN certification takes 2 semesters of being in class 4-5 times a week for 5-8 hours a day. It however translates to the first year of an ADN program and there are several options to bride your LPN to an RN. Most of these bridging programs take about 8 months so in the long run you're still looking at about 2 years for you ADN minus prereqs.

Then you of course have the option of bridging that ADN to a BSN which takes anywhere from a year to two years once again putting you right on track for having you bachelors in 4-ish years.

In regards to the RN vs. BSN debate that comes up every so often I've been told several times this. "As a CARE PROVIDER nurse you won't make any more money with a BSN" But if you want to go on to a masters program like a practitioner or a CRNA then obviously you'll need the bachelors. Also you can teach in a lot of programs with the BSN so that's something to think about too if it interests you. The BSN will open a lot of doors for you in administration too so that's something to think long and hard about too if you don't want to be doing direct patient care for the rest of your life.

So with all of that being said I would in some ways recommend the LPN route provided it would work the same for you in your state, at least as an LPN you can work part time or during the summers and make a decent amount to help supplement pell, student loans, or what have you.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Lycanthropic Howl posted:

Yeah I'm with you, 6 years seems a bit excessive unless you're taking like 6 hours a semester.

Hey this guy said he was going to try do this while working 30 - 40 hours a week. Like I said, he MIGHT be able to completely bust his balls and get the AA done in two years and prereqs in one while basically working full time but it would suck big time.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009
I just turned in my pre-application form today! It becomes my application form when I get them my official transcripts and the nursing councilors said that if I maintain the same grades this semester, I have a guaranteed spot.

As far as time goes, all told, I'll be spending a year and a half doing pre-reqs, two years for the ADN, and two years for the ADN-BSN or ADN-MSN program. Probably throw in an extra year after the ADN for more pre-reqs.

Webman
Jun 4, 2008

Lycanthropic Howl posted:

I knocked all of my prereqs out taking 12 hours one semester and then anatomy and physiology as an 8 weeker in the summer. A&P as an 8 week class sucked but frankly, I would encourage anyone interested in nursing to to do just that, take it as an 8 week class. As badly as I thought that sucked, so far the nursing program has made A%P seem like some kind of magical land of blow jobs, ice cream, and fluffy pillows. Anatomy and Physiology around these parts is known as the "Hard Class" and it's more or less the class that is used to weed out the incredible morons and dip shits, from your more run of the mill standard morons and dip shits like myself.

Quoted for posterity.
There were people in my A&P course that wanted to be doctors and nurses and ended up failing a 100-level bio course. These weren't 18 year olds fresh out of high school, but people in their 20s.

Also, people were frightened and disgusted by frogs in formaldehyde and sheep pluck. How the gently caress are you going to change the dressing on a gangrenous wound or even a bedpan if you can't handle the same dead frogs that they let 7th graders dissect?

Okay, I'm done ranting about people who have no business trying to become nurses.

Silk Spectre
May 11, 2009

Bunway Airlines posted:

What degree do you have? AA, BSN, MSN?
Why did you go into nursing?
Was it your first career?
What area do you work in?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your job on a daily basis?

Degree: BSN/MSN/PhD/ANP
Went into nursing after volunteering in an AIDS Hospice.
First career: uh...stripper
Currently work in occupational medicine
I am at about a 7 in job satisfaction, but I am in the process of quitting my job and trying to finish a book on the history of nursing (already accepted for publication).

If anyone has questions about occupational health careers or graduate degrees in nursing I might be able to help.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Webman posted:

Quoted for posterity.
There were people in my A&P course that wanted to be doctors and nurses and ended up failing a 100-level bio course. These weren't 18 year olds fresh out of high school, but people in their 20s.

Also, people were frightened and disgusted by frogs in formaldehyde and sheep pluck. How the gently caress are you going to change the dressing on a gangrenous wound or even a bedpan if you can't handle the same dead frogs that they let 7th graders dissect?

I had a girl in my A&P 1 class who wanted to be a nurse but she WOULD NOT touch the dead cat we were dissecting. She was gagging from the formaldehyde. I think she is doing PT now. Don't they still have to deal with people making GBS threads themselves?

My A&P2 class had its first exam yesterday on the endocrine system, blood and cardivascular system. The class average was a 64%. This was on a multiple choice test and the teacher gave us powerpoints that had all the testable material on it. Hell, you didn't even need to read the book. Coming from an Electrical Engineering background, it blows my mind that people are doing this poorly. The material isn't difficult to understand but just requires a little effort to learn.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Hughmoris posted:

I had a girl in my A&P 1 class who wanted to be a nurse but she WOULD NOT touch the dead cat we were dissecting. She was gagging from the formaldehyde. I think she is doing PT now. Don't they still have to deal with people making GBS threads themselves?
This is why I love the idea of being a nurse, but I acknowledge that the reality of the job entails a lot of gross poo poo I'd really rather not do. Luckily my field will be insurance, not medicine. :)

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Hughmoris posted:

I'm in week 3 of my A&P 1 class. There was a girl who wouldn't touch the slide of compact bone because she said it was disgusting, and then went on to tell everyone she would never donate her body to science. It's mind boggling.

science pole
Nov 8, 2009
No love for psych nurses? I just graduated with my BSN and I am working a hospital psych floor. I love it but is this going to make a transition to ED or more medical floor difficult? We don't do much medical stuff. I know it may make things more difficult but please elaborate.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

science pole posted:

No love for psych nurses? I just graduated with my BSN and I am working a hospital psych floor. I love it but is this going to make a transition to ED or more medical floor difficult? We don't do much medical stuff. I know it may make things more difficult but please elaborate.

How do you like the psych floor?

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I'm a psych RN, used to be telemetry.

Being a psych RN is cool, less physical work, more observations and assessments, but when poo poo hits the fan, its rough, you can be assaulted and hurt, and don't ever think it can't happen to you, its happened to some good coworkers of mine. Even if you do everything right, some patients can snap.

But I love it and don't want to go back to the medical side ever again.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Axim posted:

I'm a psych RN, used to be telemetry.

Being a psych RN is cool, less physical work, more observations and assessments, but when poo poo hits the fan, its rough, you can be assaulted and hurt, and don't ever think it can't happen to you, its happened to some good coworkers of mine. Even if you do everything right, some patients can snap.

But I love it and don't want to go back to the medical side ever again.

As a CV/SICU nurse mad props to you psych nurses. When my patients get feisty I just up the propofol and slap on restraints. More respect if you don't end up hating your patients day after day. Psych nursing is loving difficult, I can wean my patients off the vent, yank their patients swanns and chest tubes after two days and ship them out to tele, you guys don't have that luxury.

By the way I have read studies and psych nurses are way more likely to be assaulted than police officers.

science pole posted:

ED sucks. It's either tooth aches or car wrecks. At least where I was at which was our county's level I trauma center. If you were ED you rotated. You spent like 3 days doing stubbed toes and then 1 day in trauma to make sure everyone didn't get stuck on stubbed toe duty. So it's days of assigned boredom, with fun interspersed. You'll do fine and most likely if it is a level I trauma center med students will do half your job. If it isn't a level I you'll likely dick around and arrange transfers.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 6, 2010

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Axim fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 14, 2010

science pole
Nov 8, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

How do you like the psych floor?

I absolutely love it. I've been holding steady around an 8 most days. It's an adult population by the way with average pt stay of around 6 days.

Into my third week I was attacked. Bi polar manic tried to wrestle me to the ground and was going for my throat. He got close enough to scratch my throat a bit, didn't realize I was scratched til later of course. I lift weights (i knew there was a reason why!), so I used brute strength to control him until help arrived. I couldn't remember any techniques!

Anyway I still love it. :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Axim posted:

Scary poo poo about the psych ward...

Thanks for posting that. I honestly don't think I could work in the mental health field. I really don't like not being able to get a read on somebody, makes me uneasy. When checking on patients, do you roll around in pairs? I know the female staff have to worry a little about being overpowered before help can arrive.

Science Pole posted:

I absolutely love it. I've been holding steady around an 8 most days. It's an adult population by the way with average pt stay of around 6 days.

Into my third week I was attacked. Bi polar manic tried to wrestle me to the ground and was going for my throat. He got close enough to scratch my throat a bit, didn't realize I was scratched til later of course. I lift weights (i knew there was a reason why!), so I used brute strength to control him until help arrived. I couldn't remember any techniques!

Anyway I still love it.

What is the protocol when being attacked by adult men? Are you allowed to protect yourself by whatever means necessary, or are you just supposed to try to restrain him until help arrives? I can't imagine only being allowed to hug someone while he is punching me in the face.

Is the pay for working in the psych ward above typical nursing pay? It would seem like it would have to be for putting up with what yall have to.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

What is the protocol when being attacked by adult men? Are you allowed to protect yourself by whatever means necessary, or are you just supposed to try to restrain him until help arrives? I can't imagine only being allowed to hug someone while he is punching me in the face.

I'm currently in my Mental Health Nursing semester (survived med/surg yay!) and we're taught to just run away. You can defend yourself if necessary but for the most part, if you follow the rules and use some common sense it's actually sort of difficult to get into a really bad situation like that. Always keep yourself between the patient and an exit, never go into a patient's room by yourself, etc.

I'm actually really surprised at how much I'm looking forward to my clinicals starting. I'm not nearly as terrified of psych nursing as I was when I started med/surg. I have tremendous respect for psych nurses and am pretty stoked to get started.

As for med/surg...well I bashed it a bit last semester but truth be told I learned SO MUCH! I never did end up getting to drop an NGT or start an IV but the fact remains that I learned more in that class than I have in any class ever and overall it was a really good experience.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Mangue posted:

I never did end up getting to drop an NGT

I'm supposed to do that this semester and I am soooo not looking forward to it. The only one I've seen in the hospital setting was horrifying, the nurse went super slow, pt started throwing up blood as a result and was immediately shipped back up to ICU. I felt so bad for him. :ohdear:

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Baby_Hippo posted:

I'm supposed to do that this semester and I am soooo not looking forward to it. The only one I've seen in the hospital setting was horrifying, the nurse went super slow, pt started throwing up blood as a result and was immediately shipped back up to ICU. I felt so bad for him. :ohdear:

Yeah I have heard horror stories haha. Nose bleeds, vomit, massive resistance, etc. Good luck!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Baby_Hippo posted:

I'm really interested to see how I'm going to handle seeing something like this. I've seen a fair amount of blood but nothing extremely traumatic like guts hanging out, limbs severed, people writhing in agony. I like to think I'll be able to take it in stride but I guess I won't know until I see it.

In that spirit, for the former and current students, what was your first big "HOLY poo poo! No way that dude is going to live!" moment?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

In that spirit, for the former and current students, what was your first big "HOLY poo poo! No way that dude is going to live!" moment?

Personally, I've never had any...traumatic or emergency moments in which I think that, but I have taken care of a few patients who I knew were going to die. (Still a student so death is all still pretty new to me).

The saddest ones I have taken care of were the ones who seemed pretty ok one week, then I'm back the next week and just happen to see them again (passing out trays, helping out a CNA) and my former patient is completely far gone and out of it. Just...went downhill and I knew they probably weren't going to make it.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Why do so many adult nurses seem to have such a disdainful attitude towards pediatrics? It seems like every time I get floated to an adult floor and they find out I'm from peds, I have to hear the same "Oh my God I could NEVER stand all those kids!" song and dance from at least one nurse. Is it really that much better having to work with confused, cranky geriatrics?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Doppelganger posted:

Why do so many adult nurses seem to have such a disdainful attitude towards pediatrics? It seems like every time I get floated to an adult floor and they find out I'm from peds, I have to hear the same "Oh my God I could NEVER stand all those kids!" song and dance from at least one nurse. Is it really that much better having to work with confused, cranky geriatrics?

It's not then kids. It's the parents.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Axim fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 14, 2010

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.

Axim posted:

And the parent's, they are very protective, which they should be, but its kind of hard to explain to parents what you did, why you did it. In some cases the parents need some mental health services too (not a joke), and when you explain to Mommy why little Timmy had to be restrained about he attacked four staff members, bit them, drew blood, threw a chair at the nurse, and tried to claw out someones eyes.... and Mommy says, NOT MY BABY... HOW DARE YOU RESTRAIN HIM AND THEN GIVE HIM A SHOT OF (insert psychoactive med here)?

This. Even if they SEE their kid trying to punch/kick a staff member for no reason, they insist their kid is a sweet little angel, and that the staff is at fault. I'll never understand it.

Also - I'm starting my maternity rotation in a few weeks, and studying for it now. I've cared for babies before but I've never observed a maternity unit from the medical side. Does anyone have any tips? Is it really as fast-paced as they say?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

leb388 posted:

This. Even if they SEE their kid trying to punch/kick a staff member for no reason, they insist their kid is a sweet little angel, and that the staff is at fault. I'll never understand it.

Also - I'm starting my maternity rotation in a few weeks, and studying for it now. I've cared for babies before but I've never observed a maternity unit from the medical side. Does anyone have any tips? Is it really as fast-paced as they say?

It's fun and very different but it isn't really any more fast paced than anywhere else. For every exciting moment in Labor and Delivery there's the staggering dullness of Postpartum. I also found it much easier from the medical angle because your population is almost entirely young and healthy. There are only a handful of drugs you need to be familiar with and most of them won't be necessary anyway.

My only tip would be to check out NICU if you get a chance. It's like ICU except your patients are adorable and about ten times as hopeless. Very interesting though. It's one of those areas like flight nursing where positions only open up when nurses die of old age and I can completely see why.

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.
I'm actually doing my peds clinical now (along with med-surg and OB/GYN) and so far its not bad, although it is in the cardiac floor, and my only patient was older and very used to any kind of procedure. The mother was pretty crazy, however. I spent a day in the pediatric ER, however, and it did seem far more interesting.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Bunway Airlines posted:

I was curious about this so let's have an informal poll:

What degree do you have? AA, BSN, MSN?
Why did you go into nursing?
Was it your first career?
What area do you work in?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your job on a daily basis?

I'd really like to hear from anyone and everyone on these questions. If you're still in school, you can answer as well.

1. 4th year BScN

2. Hard to say, didn't know what to do when I was about to leave high school and did this HUGE career and education test thing that said nursing would be a great choice. My councilor knew an NP working in a clinic locally and I had a day there shadowing and really loved it. Met interesting people, did interesting tasks, seemed to be fairly autonomous and enjoyable. Compensation was pretty nice too.

3. Yes, not even really in it yet...

4. As a student you get a whole lot of different placements, most of which I have not liked at all or marginally tolerated, and one I can say was pretty enjoyable. What I have enjoyed is working with a federal government agency; analyzing policy, doing community assessments, making recommendations etc. Very autonomous, reasonable hours, good work environment and so on. The absolute worst are the adult med/surg units. Horrible staffing issues, too much time being taken up by menial tasks, poor work environment... I really don't see how people actually want to do that stuff. I have marginally tolerated acute psychiatry (it was fun but the staff were horrible to students, which is very common anywhere) and geriatric psychiatry.

5. Honestly, I'd say with the student experience I'd give it a 3. It's a lot of academic work, which is great because that is what university is about, but much of it is irrelevant and it distinctly feels like busy work and doesn't contribute to learning. The student working experience is generally bad. If you are lucky the preceptors and units you are on will actually try to help you learn, not use you to fill in for absent nurses. Generally it's a very anxiety inducing experience either way, as you learn to swim by being thrown in the deep end so to speak.

Looking back I don't know if I regret my decision to follow this degree through. There are some amazing opportunities for nurses outside of the hospital setting, such as public health, that seem to be a more suitable role for the degree-prepared nurse in the context of the modern health care system. My nursing degree allowed me to explore public and community health issues, which I am interested in researching further at the masters level.

By no means am I trying to play down the importance of nursing in the delivery of health care, I just feel there are significant problems in the career that most people feel too powerless to address or consider "part of the job." If nursing is to realize it's full potential as a profession, there must be significant change in the future.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

It's fun and very different but it isn't really any more fast paced than anywhere else. For every exciting moment in Labor and Delivery there's the staggering dullness of Postpartum. I also found it much easier from the medical angle because your population is almost entirely young and healthy. There are only a handful of drugs you need to be familiar with and most of them won't be necessary anyway.

My only tip would be to check out NICU if you get a chance. It's like ICU except your patients are adorable and about ten times as hopeless. Very interesting though. It's one of those areas like flight nursing where positions only open up when nurses die of old age and I can completely see why.

Thanks for the insight, and trust me, I'll be sure to visit the NICU if they let students in. I'm already getting trip reports from people in my class (we float out a few people a week to the maternity department) and they're all saying they love maternity and they don't want to leave. I don't mind our rehab unit (I got to see a blood transfusion!) but it sounds amazing.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

If anybody has any questions about the administrative side of nursing schools, ask away. I work in the nursing division of a company that owns 25 proprietary nursing schools around the country. I know that these schools can have a bad reputation, so don't hold back.

Edit: What I do is the research required for new nursing programs by the state Board of Nursing. I work very closely with the nursing executive staff at our corporate office and the individual school's directors of nursing, so I have learned quite a bit about the non-student side of nursing programs.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2010

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Man, I hated maternity (aka postpartum) in school, and still do. It's basically dumbed down med-surg with bloody vaginas. My continued loathing of PP probably has more to do with the dozen calls per night we get in L&D from them, usually asking one of us to come up and put in a Foley or an IV. So, basic nursing skills that they should know how to do, especially since most of the PP nurses have been nursing for 20+ years :bang:

L&D is where the action is, if you're interested in women's services. Especially if you land a sweet job in a well-funded hospital that serves a low-income, high-risk demographic. Satisfies the adrenaline junkie in me just fine, since you never really know what the hell will be rolling through the door. We had a lady come in abrupting because she rubbed cocaine on her gums for a toothache. We rushed her to the OR, opened her up, and GUSH out comes several pints of blood. Scary as hell, but it gets the adrenaline pumping.

clubfedgoon
Jul 2, 2009
People keep saying nursing is a recession proof job, which seems to have a lot people enrolling in public colleges and for profit schools(they are advertising like crazy on TV right now) to study nursing. With everyone running to this field won’t we see a lack of positions in the next three to four years when these people begin to enter the workforce?

clubfedgoon fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 16, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

clubfedgoon posted:

People keep saying nursing is a recession proof job, which seems to have a lot people enrolling in public colleges and for profit schools(they are advertising like crazy on TV right now) to study nursing. With everyone running to this field won’t we see a lack of positions in the next three to four years when these people begin to enter the workforce?

I'm thinking with the burn-out rate of the job and the difficulty of the school itself, hopefully there will always be openings. Also the recession hopefully has bottomed out and we can slowly inch our way back to a decent economy.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Plus being halfway skilled puts you leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of people who somehow got through a nursing degree. It's amazing how stupid some people can be and stay registered.

I'm talking stuff like giving someone who's just attempted suicide by OD their drug stash back when they ask for it, and watching them re-OD. Or panicking whenever someone's BP isn't exactly 120/80.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Silentgoldfish posted:

... Or panicking whenever someone's BP isn't exactly 120/80.

As a CNA I find this hillarious. A new aid was taking vitals and got a bp of 116/54 which was typical for the resident in question. The aid came out of the room and went up to the nurse. The aid told the nurse, "I think maybe you should call 911 because so-and-so in room XXX had an extremely low blood pressure". After vitals were retaken, I heard the new aid say "That'll be the last time I save someone's life."

Of course this was an aid who took vitals and documented a temp of 80.2F and became irate when it was suggested she was perhaps...wrong? Sadly it took 3 more months to fire her and she never got any better.

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

Pixi posted:

Man, I hated maternity (aka postpartum) in school, and still do. It's basically dumbed down med-surg with bloody vaginas. My continued loathing of PP probably has more to do with the dozen calls per night we get in L&D from them, usually asking one of us to come up and put in a Foley or an IV. So, basic nursing skills that they should know how to do, especially since most of the PP nurses have been nursing for 20+ years :bang:

Yeah, postpartum doesn't look like the most fascinating thing in the world, but I think I'm interested in caring for neonates. Even in our nursing lab I enjoyed the little things, like learning how to hold and swaddle infants.

clubfedgoon posted:

Nursing isn't a recession-proof job, and I know some nurses who have been laid off. But there are so many options available for nurses, it's a better degree to have than most. If anything I think there's going to be a shortage of nurses in coming years, as the baby boomers age and many older nurses retire.

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em
So, Friday I complete my course for becoming a NA/HCA. March 17th is the date for my STNA tests.

What should I do from here, school-wise? Also, what's the best place for a person to work as an NA: hospital, nursing home, or home care. And am I allowed to ask here what local goons think are the best facilities in the area?

Edit: How much did people pay for just the NA+STNA program?

Dalai Lamacide fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 18, 2010

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I'm betting he's going to work as a bailer. Ours work Saturday/Sunday twelves and are paid as though they work 36 hours. They're the counterbalance to the nurses with enough seniority that they can work weekdays only. Bailer positions fill up very, very quickly.

Wow, this is from a really long time ago but there's still some flesh on it.

And yes, bailer. My hospital actually counts Friday night through Sunday night as the qualified shifts, so I work Friday and Sunday nights and get every Saturday off. Our hospital doesn't just pay us for 36 hours, they actually put a permanent increase on our pay rate (think "permanent overtime") so any extra shifts we pick up during the week are worth the bigger bucks as well. We don't get sick time, we don't get holiday time, but we're otherwise the same in benefits as everyone else.

I realize this is really a best-case scenario, but if your hospital has a bailer program it's definitely worth looking into it just to see what's up.

Also, chiming in as well to avoid med/surg at all cost. gently caress people telling you about "building your skills" first. It's a waste of time, few of them transfer and you're going to be retrained from the ground up anyway, and really, you're better than that. If you want that sort of action, ICUs are where it's at. :)

Digger-254 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

clubfedgoon posted:

As already mentioned, it is far from recession proof. Especially in areas like public and community health, where significant cuts have occurred recently halting any chance of job growth in those areas for a significant amount of time. Also, jobs that would usually be filled by an RN are being filled with RPNs (or their equivalent) putting many full time positions out of reach for new graduates or younger nurses. It's not as though you wont have a job because of the eternal and ongoing shortage, but it doesn't mean you will have a secure full-time position in a field you want. The postings have been looking pretty dismal lately, and the outlook upon graduation doesn't look anything like it was made out to be.