Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I remember reading a book (or possibly a series of books) when I was younger about a female adventurer, I remember very little about the books. I remember that on the cover she had long hair and wore a vest. She was kind of Indiana Jones-esque as an explorer.

The information I have is so vague I don't think anybody could answer but my long search has left me with nothing thus far. I think (though I'm not sure) that the author was female.

I would have read this in the early to mid 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Minor
Jul 3, 2004

I'm hoping to identify a science fiction story I read about ten years ago. Some psychologist has a machine that allows him to go into the minds of his patients. A blind woman goes to him to undergo the process because she would like to know what it is like to see. It was a short novel, less than 200 pages in length. If anyone could identify this story, thanks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

E Minor posted:

I'm hoping to identify a science fiction story I read about ten years ago. Some psychologist has a machine that allows him to go into the minds of his patients. A blind woman goes to him to undergo the process because she would like to know what it is like to see. It was a short novel, less than 200 pages in length. If anyone could identify this story, thanks.

The Dream Master - Roger Zealzny one of his lesser known under-rated ones.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Syfe posted:

I remember reading a book (or possibly a series of books) when I was younger about a female adventurer, I remember very little about the books. I remember that on the cover she had long hair and wore a vest. She was kind of Indiana Jones-esque as an explorer.

The information I have is so vague I don't think anybody could answer but my long search has left me with nothing thus far. I think (though I'm not sure) that the author was female.

I would have read this in the early to mid 90's.

Lloyd Alexander (the same guy who wrote The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, etc) wrote a series of books that fits this description. The character's name is Vesper Holly, and the books in the series are The Illyrian Adventure, The El Dorado Adventure, The Drackenberg Adventure, The Jedera Adventure, The Philadelphia Adventure, and The Xanadu Adventure. There are a shitload of different covers to the books though, so I have no idea if any of them showed her wearing a vest.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Mnemosyne posted:

Lloyd Alexander (the same guy who wrote The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, etc) wrote a series of books that fits this description. The character's name is Vesper Holly, and the books in the series are The Illyrian Adventure, The El Dorado Adventure, The Drackenberg Adventure, The Jedera Adventure, The Philadelphia Adventure, and The Xanadu Adventure. There are a shitload of different covers to the books though, so I have no idea if any of them showed her wearing a vest.

Oh thank you, I've been trying to figure it out for forever. I remember reading them around the same time that I read other Lloyd Alexander books I don't know why I never put two and two together.

I must find these books now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
HAH!!!

Got it!

Damnable by Hank Schwaeble.

God, I loving HATE the sony software for the reader library. Did it take them a whole weekend to code it?

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

I'm looking for a play that was performed years ago at my college. It was performed by the Pan african department. I thought it was called 'A day no work was done' but nothing comes up when I search for it. It's a play done in white face somewhere in the 1950's. All of the black people in their town disappear, and the white people are completely incapable of doing anything.

I read another play by the author where two white people have their new neighbors over for dinner, and there are undertones of racism. Then when the black couple leave, the white couple are glad that it's over with and uncover the sheets hiding all the racist paraphernalia decorating their apartment.

They were really interesting to read, and I cannot remember the titles for the life of me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was a movie made a few years back called something like "The day the mexicans disappeared", which was basically the same thing. They vanish, and suddenly the world comes to a stop.

It might be based on that play.

No idea about the dinner one though..

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There was a movie made a few years back called something like "The day the mexicans disappeared", which was basically the same thing. They vanish, and suddenly the world comes to a stop.

It might be based on that play.

No idea about the dinner one though..

Thanks! That led me to imdb, where someone stated that it was a knockoff of 'A Day of Absence' written by Douglas Turner Ward.

edit: And the second play I was remembering is called "Brotherhood." Awesome.

Schistosity fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 8, 2010

Autarch_Severian
Sep 8, 2007
Hopefully I'm not repeating a request that has already been in the thread. I scanned through it and didn't see any mention of the story I remember.

It's a short story, science fiction, I had to read it around 2002, but I remember it was from possibly the 70's-80's. It's roughly about the future of the cold war, where America and Russia send a squadron of soldiers each every year to fight to the death in some sort of large arena, the last 'team' with a survivor or group of survivors wins resources and bragging rights for a year, and the survivor is allowed to live the rest of their life without having to obey laws.

I know it's probably "the survivor" or "the arena" but there are quite a bit of short stories and stories with those names.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Autarch_Severian posted:

Hopefully I'm not repeating a request that has already been in the thread. I scanned through it and didn't see any mention of the story I remember.

It's a short story, science fiction, I had to read it around 2002, but I remember it was from possibly the 70's-80's. It's roughly about the future of the cold war, where America and Russia send a squadron of soldiers each every year to fight to the death in some sort of large arena, the last 'team' with a survivor or group of survivors wins resources and bragging rights for a year, and the survivor is allowed to live the rest of their life without having to obey laws.

I know it's probably "the survivor" or "the arena" but there are quite a bit of short stories and stories with those names.

See if this rings any bells. If it's not that one, it might be something else by the same author; he wrote some other stuff in the same setting.

Autarch_Severian
Sep 8, 2007

Unkempt posted:

See if this rings any bells. If it's not that one, it might be something else by the same author; he wrote some other stuff in the same setting.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be exactly it. I appreciate your help, though! I've emailed my old high school science fiction teacher to see whether or not he can help me in this matter. Fingers crossed!

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
So I'm trying to remember a name of a book, it was a book from middle school where a disease strikes the world which makes the adults in the world vanish/die, and the children in the story set up their own "tribes", where one group is good and on a farm, and the other group is "bad".

I'm going nuts trying to figure it out!

Thanks!

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

So I'm trying to remember a name of a book, it was a book from middle school where a disease strikes the world which makes the adults in the world vanish/die, and the children in the story set up their own "tribes", where one group is good and on a farm, and the other group is "bad".

I'm going nuts trying to figure it out!

Thanks!

Not sure how old you are, but could it be "The Girl Who Owned a City?"
http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Owned-City/dp/0440928931

There's a similar book that came out 2 years ago called "Gone." Maybe searching for similar books would help.

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

Gary2863 posted:

For many years, my stepfather has brought up this story just about anytime he hears anything about Nazis. He read it a long time ago and he claims it is a true story. A Nazi concentration camp was being liberated by Allied soldiers. They found that the Jews in the camp were well fed, but the Nazis were all starving. It turned out that the Jews, using ancient magic, had made a golem to protect them and get them food.

Has anyone read this story?

Bumping this, has anyone read it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Gary2863 posted:

Bumping this, has anyone read it?

No, but it sounds awesome.

e: True story though? Really?

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

Dead Alice posted:

No, but it sounds awesome.

e: True story though? Really?

That's what he says.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I tried looking for it, but couldn't find anything like it. I found one about a golem in a concentration camp but it wasn't the same. It was about a golem who was built in a concentration camp, but he escaped from it and became a resistance fighter or something like that.

PS: Something tells me it's not really a true story (or else why don't we have more golems hanging around today?), but it might be some kind of modern folklore or urban legend.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I bought this book when I was in the army and read like 50 pages of it, then forgot about it. Now I need to read it again because in my head I have built it up to be an awesome book. The problem is I only remember a few details. It's a fantasy book (first in a trilogy I believe). The main character is a prince in a sort of backwoods kingdom. I think maybe something happens to his parents and he has to run away. Also there is a big city with like a priesthood who wear red. And somewhere in between this I THINK there's a pirateship that is a giant turtle. :v:

e: I think maybe water is a big deal in the book(s)? Or different elements or something. loving hell this is driving me mad!

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

Frantick posted:

I tried looking for it, but couldn't find anything like it. I found one about a golem in a concentration camp but it wasn't the same. It was about a golem who was built in a concentration camp, but he escaped from it and became a resistance fighter or something like that.

PS: Something tells me it's not really a true story (or else why don't we have more golems hanging around today?), but it might be some kind of modern folklore or urban legend.

I don't believe it's a true story, of course. I'd like to see the story you're talking about though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Biplane posted:

I bought this book when I was in the army and read like 50 pages of it, then forgot about it. Now I need to read it again because in my head I have built it up to be an awesome book. The problem is I only remember a few details. It's a fantasy book (first in a trilogy I believe). The main character is a prince in a sort of backwoods kingdom. I think maybe something happens to his parents and he has to run away. Also there is a big city with like a priesthood who wear red. And somewhere in between this I THINK there's a pirateship that is a giant turtle. :v:

e: I think maybe water is a big deal in the book(s)? Or different elements or something. loving hell this is driving me mad!

Aside from the turtle ship, this sounds vaguely like The Death Gate Cycle. First book in the series is Dragon Wing

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 15, 2010

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Autarch_Severian posted:

I've read that one. Details I recall include the protagonist wondering if the other team cuts an X in their bullets, Generals never survive, symmetry of the arena and teams, etc.

My first thought was that it's a Vonnegut story, but it really doesn't quite fit his style.

I'll do a little searching since I wouldn't mind reading it again.

edit: Fritz Leiber maybe? I'm trying to find details of a story called "The Reward" with no luck so far.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 15, 2010

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Gary2863 posted:

I don't believe it's a true story, of course. I'd like to see the story you're talking about though.

It's "The Golem of Auschwitz"

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

Frantick posted:

It's "The Golem of Auschwitz"

Thanks! It doesn't sound like the story my stepfather describes, but I'll show it to him.

EDIT: I showed this story to him. He says it's not the one. He first read the story about the golem in a concentration camp when he was in grammar school in the late 1960s or early 1970s. He says the story you found was better written than the one he had read, and it was probably written by a smarter person.

I got some more details about the story from him. He says that when the liberating troops found the healthy Jews, they thought they were traitors who were working with the Nazis. But after interviewing several of them they learned about the golem, which was used to scare the Nazis into giving the Jews whatever they wanted.

Gary2863 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 15, 2010

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah I didn't think that was the one, since it sounded pretty different in what happened to the golem.

The only other story I was able to find was the original story of the golem in Prague, so I'm all tapped out.

I hope you can find it though!

Gary2863
Jul 19, 2000

Frantick posted:

Yeah I didn't think that was the one, since it sounded pretty different in what happened to the golem.

The only other story I was able to find was the original story of the golem in Prague, so I'm all tapped out.

I hope you can find it though!

He says he comes across the story every few years. I'm sure he'll figure out what it was eventually. Thanks for looking!

Autarch_Severian
Sep 8, 2007

dee eight posted:

I've read that one. Details I recall include the protagonist wondering if the other team cuts an X in their bullets, Generals never survive, symmetry of the arena and teams, etc.

My first thought was that it's a Vonnegut story, but it really doesn't quite fit his style.

I'll do a little searching since I wouldn't mind reading it again.

edit: Fritz Leiber maybe? I'm trying to find details of a story called "The Reward" with no luck so far.

That's it exactly! Though I'm having no luck looking up "The Reward" either. Remember at all where you read it?

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Schistosity posted:

Not sure how old you are, but could it be "The Girl Who Owned a City?"
http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Owned-City/dp/0440928931

There's a similar book that came out 2 years ago called "Gone." Maybe searching for similar books would help.

This is it, thank you so much!

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009
I remember reading a series about a young boy living in Europe in the early Dark Ages, like a couple hundred years after the fall of Rome. There's a scene where he's actually in Rome, and it's a cesspool, and he plays dice. Also his dad's estate is in an old Roman bath. That's what sticks out.

The covers of the books were well done too, in an early Dark Ages style. Can anyone help?

Tachykinin
Jan 28, 2009
This was a relatively short novel, I think released in the mid-late '80s about a virus that has swept the US and drove some of the people who contracted it into psychopaths and others into catatonia. The book focuses on a small town somewhere. One of the antagonists was a guy who became a psycho but managed to hide it (I think I remember a crucified dog?). I *think* it was written by a writer for Marvel comics around the same time (I thought Chris Claremont, but that didn't pan out).

Tachykinin fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2010

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Autarch_Severian posted:

That's it exactly! Though I'm having no luck looking up "The Reward" either. Remember at all where you read it?

Yeah, it's in a collection of short stories I have somewhere in my house. My books are mostly boxed up and scattered hither and yon, so I'm having a hard time finding the exact book.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Fantasy book.

There is something like 4 or 5 tribes or kingdoms and for whatever reason they need to pick a new overlord and the way this is done is one person from each tribe/kingdom is chosen by some special cat/lion/etc and they have to perform a number of difficult tasks. One of the tasks was something about panning salt out of the salt fields? Whatever that means.

Anyway some random young guy gets picked to be one of the competitors by the magic cat despite the fact that it's usually big older burly guys, and he obviously by the end of the book succeeds.

There's something about how important cats are to this country/land and I think at some point he gets bitten by one of the big cats and it leaves a scar on his wrist or something?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Autarch_Severian posted:

I remember this one too - it made a few SF collections when it came out. Look for short story volumes around the time period and you'll find it shortly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nevermind, found it!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 21, 2010

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

This is an older story (30+ years, probably). The whole thing is a dialogue between two cops who are sitting in a stakeout looking for a plague carrier that they call "Johnny Plague" or something like that.

They go on and on with the exposition about how every few years somebody will pop up with some kind of horrible infectious disease and half the people in the world die from it.

At one point, one cop, to illustrate a point, pulls out a lighter and holds his hand in the flame for 10 seconds before wincing and pulling it away (the upshot being that the plagues have culled the weak from the human race and we are looking at what would be, compared to us, superhumans).

Anyway, if anybody knows title and author, I'd appreciate it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Trying to remember a book from my childhood. Figure late 70s-early 80s. It was a collection of horror / fantasty stories aimed at the 8-10 year old bracket. The book (which may have been part of a series, I seem to remember having another similar book) was large sized, maybe 10-12" tall, and hardbound, and fully illustrated - full color pictures on almost every page. The only story I clearly remember is of a boy who while wandering comes across an imp, who were known to have secret caches of gold but were very sly and would do anything to get out of giving you the gold. The boy caught the imp and held on until the imp showed him where the gold was -- in the middle of a field of thistles, under one particular thistle. The boy doesn't have a shovel so he ties his belt around that one thistle plant. After returning with the shovel, he finds that the imp had tied an identical belt on every thistle plant in the field.

The only other detail I can remember is from another story in that book, a little demon creature who looked like a cross between Gollum in the LoTR movies and a troll doll (the ones with the hair), with a very wrinkly brown face.

Not much to go on, I'm afraid.

e: I'm not certain, but I think the name of the book was something like "The Giant book of Ghosts and Goblins" or "The Massive Book of Monsters and Magic", "The Humongous Book of Haunts and Horrors", something along those lines.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 22, 2010

RandomEffects
Apr 3, 2004

"That's not why people watch TV. Clever things make people feel stupid and unexpected things make them feel scared."

regulargonzalez posted:

The boy doesn't have a shovel so he ties his belt around that one thistle plant. After returning with the shovel, he finds that the imp had tied an identical belt on every thistle plant in the field.

I remember this part of the story but it was not a boy it was a man and it was a leprechaun. hope it helps

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

RandomEffects posted:

I remember this part of the story but it was not a boy it was a man and it was a leprechaun. hope it helps

I did some googling and it appears this is a common Irish folk legend. While it's possible I'm misremembering, I'm fairly confident that the book just reworked the legend with a boy and an imp (or anyway, not a leprechaun). I could be wrong - it's been almost 30 years since I read it - but I'm reasonably sure.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

angelicism posted:

Fantasy book.

There is something like 4 or 5 tribes or kingdoms and for whatever reason they need to pick a new overlord and the way this is done is one person from each tribe/kingdom is chosen by some special cat/lion/etc and they have to perform a number of difficult tasks. One of the tasks was something about panning salt out of the salt fields? Whatever that means.

Anyway some random young guy gets picked to be one of the competitors by the magic cat despite the fact that it's usually big older burly guys, and he obviously by the end of the book succeeds.

There's something about how important cats are to this country/land and I think at some point he gets bitten by one of the big cats and it leaves a scar on his wrist or something?

This could be a total stab in the dark here, but it sounds like it could be by Andre Norton? She wrote lots about cats (and the story description rings a very faint bell with me, too!).

Edit: In fact, thinking about this more, I am fairly sure it's Norton, and that I've read it, too. Goodness knows what it's called, though.

Edit 2: A bit of Googling has led me to think it could be The Mark of the Cat. Have a read of the descriptions on this page and tell me if they ring a bell :)

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

This could be a total stab in the dark here, but it sounds like it could be by Andre Norton? She wrote lots about cats (and the story description rings a very faint bell with me, too!).

Edit: In fact, thinking about this more, I am fairly sure it's Norton, and that I've read it, too. Goodness knows what it's called, though.

Edit 2: A bit of Googling has led me to think it could be The Mark of the Cat. Have a read of the descriptions on this page and tell me if they ring a bell :)

I'm in awe of how you managed to figure this out from my haphazard description.