Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Fitted new tyres to my RX-8, replacing Kumho Ecsta SPTs with Bridgestone Potenza RE760s. I have high hopes for these new tyres, they have a better UTHQ number (should last longer) and get better rankings from most automotive press.

I also got new brake pads (still OEM, but new), so the brakes should be more responsive too.

Now all I need is to get a replacement driver's side visor, and my car will be back up to 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
New shoes!

17x8 +25 5zigen zr+520's

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Let's see.

Was running rich so I had to take it to a shop with a Tech-2.

Was only measuring 2.0-2.5, and was closer to 3. gently caress. Started by replacing my MAF, and from there...

My arcing seat heater switch, gone. My lovely non-NGK resistors, my air filter since I had it up anyhow, my cabin filter - might as well, and decided - gently caress it - traded up my dead SID2 for one that worked that someone decided not to upgrade to in their rig (They were still SID1).

I hope to hell I'm done for the winter.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Well, it's a Land Rover Discovery, so I was welding... Ran out of wire, so back to the garage to finish off tomorrow. Sill patches, "B" pillar base repair and a rear wheelarch repair panel on the drivers side, haven't looked at the passenger side yet!

Few other little jobs still to do - 4 new door panels to fit (99p on eBay!), replace some broken trim clips & headlight trimmer socket, dismantle the front seats and wash the covers (did the backs, came up really clean), and some other general niff-naff & trivia. Oh, and refit the sodding interior!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Took this:

Patched it with these:

Then put this "fishplate" over it and plug welded it for good measure

Stupid rusted out 1st gen toyota pickup frame

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It is. The recall removes the two black spark plug retainer brackets and zip ties the plug wires out of the way, but in most cases they don't replace the gasket under the recall.

I'd just as soon do it myself considering how rear end backwards redneck terrible my local Pontiac dealership is.

I took my 98 in a few months ago and they did the gasket. Took about 30 minutes at the dealership. Now I get lots of flyers in the mail telling me to buy a new car.

King-Kong
Oct 15, 2003
Leader of the Apes
Flogged it around the Gainesville Road Race track!

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010
Changed engine + diff oils. It was overdue but the oil wasn't too dark. Also remembered how horrible gear oil smells.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Hacked together a cable for the auxiliary input that allows the stock head unit to play video. Only when the car is moving less than 5mph. But it will be nice for car shows.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Reset the P0300 random misfire CEL in the Volvo. Not sure what that's about.

Also replaced that missing center cap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Painted the valve cover and it turned out like poo poo. :suicide: Tomorrow I get to buy some aircraft stripper and sandpaper to prep it properly and hopefully get the wrinkle coat to look right.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Spent the afternoon under the hood getting to know her better.

Mostly I wanted to check the cams for evidence of wiping before I did my 80K timing belt change.

No wiping, but I really wanted the experience (and the piece of mind).

I had to remove the EGR solenoid and well...

Yeah, thats what regular sulphur diesel fuel does to your intake system and that's not the worst. Cleaned that off with some hot soapy water and while I wouldn't eat off it; it is MUCH cleaner.

Come spring/summer I'll clean out the soot from the intake and replace the brake fluid (and throw in steel line too!).

For now I just ordered the service manual, oil change goodies, filters and power steering fluids. The rest will come in once I get a better feel for what a timing belt change entails.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Last week I had the water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, hoses, and belts replaced in my 330i. The cooling system should be tip top for awhile.

This week I gave my right hand a new treat:

old (peeling, dirty, cracked)

new:

Now I'm contemplating a black kidney grill swap for fun (only like 30 bucks), but I'm hesitant. Thoughts?

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

ynotony posted:

unimportant bullshit

Now I'm contemplating a black kidney grill swap for fun (only like 30 bucks), but I'm hesitant. Thoughts?

I personally like it a lot better with the black. Do it up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ynotony posted:

Not enough of a difference for me to mind one way or the other. Unless you can get the lower grill in matte black, too. That would probably look pretty good. What about the headlight surrounds? Can those be changed to black? Just that little bit of extra black doesn't really change the look of the car, in my opinion.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

ynotony posted:

For $30 it looks good. Go for it.

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010
---

thewheelsteve fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Smittykins
Jan 29, 2010
Finally put CA plates on.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I drove it for the first time. :swoon:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
removed a bunch of junk for rally-x this weekend:

no rear seats, nothing in the trunk, no more roof rack. I'd say I saved at least 50lbs. Also going to try to borrow a lighter and lower driver's seat.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Installed a Mugen grill (wicked JDM!) on my TSX. I like it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

nerdrum posted:

New shoes!

17x8 +25 5zigen zr+520's

High five.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced the taillight bulb in my friend's '05 Altima. Seriously, you need tools. You can't do it without a flathead screwdriver and a deep-well 8mm socket. Pliers help, too.

It was pretty easy, but still, you shouldn't need tools to replace a headlight or taillight bulb.

Man, my car it takes longer to open the packaging than to replace the bulb, and no tools required. Are all new cars like that?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Picked up my H1 after it being away at the paint shop for a while. Had a dealer swap out a brake line and bleed/refill with fresh DOT-5. Got a good deal on that.. but..

They quoted me on an alignment and misc service items.....

:doh:

$890 for an alignment and $400 to swap the fuel and air filter ( I didn't ask for service items, just brakes and alignment)

:cawg:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

$60 and 10 minutes later the 2 filters are done. I'm getting the alignment done tomorrow for $75-100 and then back putting the interior in and installing weatherstripping.

$890 for an alignment... sheesh, the suspension was all redone with new control arms, bushings and all brand new frame bolts. What the christ. And the service manager wonders why some H1 owners work on their own trucks.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 21, 2010

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Installed two new front shocks (bilstein) into my Typhoon. I can play with the old shocks like an accordion. I suppose 18 years and 130K miles will do that though.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
New plugs, wires, cap and rotor. And installed the cheap autometer tach from ebay that someone here posted about.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Skyssx posted:

Instrument panel bulbs are a huge pain in the rear end. Part of this ZX2 is that the wiring supplying the license plate lights fuzed and fried every bulb in the car before blowing the fuse. All the easy ones got replaced, so the panel lights are left to me.

Yeah those are a bitch. You have to drop the steering wheel and take the whole assembly out anyway so just take it inside with you and replace all the bulbs. This place makes inexpensive drop in LED replacements for standard wedge base bulbs if you're into that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Last weekend: Had the exhaust pipe welded back into the catalytic converter at a shop that I am 90% certain is a money laundering front for the Chinese mob. Nice guys, no appointment needed, and they got me in and out in less than half an hour, though. Still snow on the ground so I didn't get a close look at the quality of the weld, but on something I call "The poo poo Van," what's important is that the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from a leak right under the poorly sealed sliding door is gone.

thewheelsteve posted:

Changed engine + diff oils. It was overdue but the oil wasn't too dark. Also remembered how horrible gear oil smells.
How did you forget in the first place?

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

How did you forget in the first place?

I had hopes that I was exaggerating it in my head from the last time I smelled it.

Today walked up to it and noticed there was stuff everywhere in it and my seat was forward. Also, both doors were unlocked and all my bins and compartments were open. Guess someone got into it last night, by jimmying the lock instead of breaking any windows thank gently caress (no comp insurance since it's 20 years old and lovely). Only thing nicked was a bluetooth earpiece, so I'm not too upset. Makes me feel vulnerable and poo poo though. :(

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head
A lot this weekend:

My Civic 2008 LX (car has 78,000 miles on it):
1.) Coolant Flush
2.) Power Steering Fluid change
3.) Tire Rotation
4.) Serpentine Belt
5.) Oil change with Royal Purple Oil 5W-20 and Royal Purple Oil Filter

My Wife's 2010 Honda Fit Sport (2,400 miles):
1.) Oil change with Royal Purple Oil 5W-2- and Royal Purple Oil Filter

My Friend's 2002 V8 Durango:
1.) Oil change with Castrol Blend 5w-30 and Bosch Oil Filter

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Raced it!

No pictures (yet), sorry (not as sorry as I am, I wanna see the pics!).

Drove down to a small, shallow lake near Regina, and drove around on the narrow track carved into the snow. I did not win. But I had more fun than I thought possible while wearing a seat belt.

Well, I do have ONE picture. This is the only picture I was able to take as a driver on the lake today.

Before we got everything organized and set up, I had a chance to zip around (the wrong way, as it turned out) the track just to test out my car on real ice (rather than that fake ice that forms from compacted snow on roads). The rest of the time, I was too busy driving to handle the camera.

More pictures to come when they get posted to the racing club's boards. I'm really hoping there's a good shot of me in my Prelude sliding sideways around a corner with snow blasting out from under the wheels.

indecision
May 17, 2009
Tried to do an oil change. Here's as far as I got.

Click here for the full 614x580 image.

My full write-up about the experience is here, but suffice to say it took a few hours and was frustrating as hell.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I started trying to change a rear wheel bearing and was doing well until I had two rather special moments. The first was when I forgot to release the brake shoes and spend a full 20 minutes hammering and tugging on the brake drum trying to free it, and the second was just now when I neglected to think of how I was going to press the new races in until I got to that point. :downs:

Now I'm sitting waiting for my neighbour to come back and hope he either has some magical race pressing tool or a couple of sockets that are a good enough fit.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

ExecuDork posted:

Raced it!

No pictures (yet), sorry (not as sorry as I am, I wanna see the pics!).

Drove down to a small, shallow lake near Regina, and drove around on the narrow track carved into the snow. I did not win. But I had more fun than I thought possible while wearing a seat belt.

Uh, where is this? I live in Regina and would love to take my jeep out for some spinney fun on a lake!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

superv0zz posted:

Uh, where is this? I live in Regina and would love to take my jeep out for some spinney fun on a lake!

https://www.qcma.org

Next event is March 7. Bring your jeep, and a friend if you like, and for non-members it's $30. Winter tires are essentially a minimum requirement. Studded is better.

It's at Oyama Lake Regional Park. Drive southeast down highway 33 (Alcona road or something like that) until you get to Kronau. Turn left. Follow the weird white-on-brown stylized triangle thing sign to the regional park. It's about 4 or 5 km down that grid road.
The park is basically permanently closed, but the QCMA has an agreement with whoever the local committee responsible and has a key. Talk to the club, through the forums there.

And if you've got a tow rope, bring that too - pretty much everybody got stuck at some point, and got yanked out of a snowdrift by the recovery truck (i.e. a big red GMC pickup with a tow rope).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I did this:

verhulce
Mar 3, 2007
Fuel pump. '91 Saab 900.

And drat does having a real fuel pump lock ring tool beat doing it in a parking lot in East Detroit at night with a tomato stake, a hammer, and a chipped flat blade screwdriver.

indecision
May 17, 2009
That stuck oil filter above?

Got it.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I finally got started on tearing down the accessory side of the motor in my 1998 Ford ZX2 to gain access to the timing belt and pulleys. I have reeeeeeally been slacking on that one.

Over the weekend I did a four wheel brake job on my brother's friend's 1993 Lincoln Mark 8 and my wife's friends 2002 Ford Crown Vic P71.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

PBCrunch posted:

I finally got started on tearing down the accessory side of the motor in my 1998 Ford ZX2 to gain access to the timing belt and pulleys.

How many bolts did you break off? :v:

PM or email me if you run into any snags. I did this on an '03 last month. And budget for a water pump and coolant change. It's not run off the timing belt, so it's not critical, but it's still right there.