Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009
How much profanity/sexual content is in the movie TAPS? (Reading this you'd think I'm a parent showing this to my kid, actually I'm wondering if it's a movie my mom would like) Violence isn't as big of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Brolita posted:

How much profanity/sexual content is in the movie TAPS? (Reading this you'd think I'm a parent showing this to my kid, actually I'm wondering if it's a movie my mom would like) Violence isn't as big of an issue.

Your mom is weird and awesome.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
My mom will watch Rambo 4 no problem, but cannot make it more than 20 minutes into Knocked Up so I don't think it's actually that weird.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Brolita posted:

I haven't watched it in a while, but to my recollection there's absolutely zero sexual content. I don't think there's a whole lot of profanity either. It's not even that violent until the end.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there some sort of "must see" movie list out there that isn't the IMDb top 250 out there? Like, not necessarily good movies, but just movies that are generally considered must-sees for cultural references.

Also, in a generalized sense, lists of quality/notable movies. I'd like to add some more movies to my Netflix queue/get on DVD/blu-ray

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there some sort of "must see" movie list out there that isn't the IMDb top 250 out there? Like, not necessarily good movies, but just movies that are generally considered must-sees for cultural references.

Also, in a generalized sense, lists of quality/notable movies. I'd like to add some more movies to my Netflix queue/get on DVD/blu-ray

Just work yourself trough the movies in the criterion collection, that's what i'm doing at the moment.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there some sort of "must see" movie list out there that isn't the IMDb top 250 out there?

They Shoot Pictures is an exceptionally good list, and when you find stuff you like, you can search for other essentials from the same director. You can also find recommended viewing broken down by decade, the best films of the 21st century, and a really good list of just noir films there.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You need iCheckMovies.com. They compile all the various lists that are out there, including imdb, Ebert, AFI, the criterion collection, and They Shoot Pictures Don't They, plus dozens of others. There's sure to be a list that fits what you're looking for in there.

In addition, you can track which movies you've seen on all of these lists. I've found it pretty addictive so far...

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 8, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I have referred to Roger Ebert's list to beef up my Netflix queue:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=greatmovies_fulllist

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The various AFI lists are a solid start when you get past quibbles about individual numbering. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI_100_Years..._series

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

The IMDb list isn't actually all that bad if you ignore most of the more recent movies on there (say, post-1995 though there are some must-see movies from that era on the list too). It hits most of the movies I'd expect people people who call themselves film loves to have seen at a bare minimum. The Criterion Collection has a bunch of must-see movies too, but also a lot of esoteric stuff that is cool, but non-essential.

I'd check out the AFI, IMDb, and other similar lists, and make sure at the very least you see all the movies that pop up on all of them. There's about 100 to 200 movies that pretty much are always on lists like those.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/
Has a fairly varied outcome, it also allows you to search the top ten for various groups like Cannes or Golden Globes.

The downside is that they're limited to the last decade so older, classic movies may be loaded.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Popelmon posted:

Just work yourself trough the movies in the criterion collection, that's what i'm doing at the moment.
Don't miss Armageddon!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What film has the worst cost ratio between cost/income?

They talk about something like Waterworld, but when you look at how much it made, it wasn't that bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

twistedmentat posted:

They talk about something like Waterworld, but when you look at how much it made, it wasn't that bad.

The largest absolute loss on any movie was The Adventures of Pluto Nash, which cost $100M and brought in $7M. I suspect that's also the largest ratio.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's actually close between PLUTO NASH AND TOWN & COUNTRY, that movie Warren Beatty directed back in 2001. It cost nearly $100 million, for whatever reason, and made $10,372,291 worldwide.

PLUTO made $7,103,973 worldwide but probably has made more money in DVD sales, since it's kind of a kid movie.

Numbers taken from BoxOfficeMojo.com

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VorpalBunny posted:

PLUTO made $7,103,973 worldwide but probably has made more money in DVD sales, since it's kind of a kid movie.
You'd have to compare the rental numbers with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001), which also lost in the neighborhood of a hundred million. It cost around US$140 million to produce, and took in about US$30 million in theatres, but since then has taken in something like US$75 million in rentals.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How the hell could Town and Country cost that must? Did Betty just pay himself like 70mil for directing or something?

Pluto Nash was one I suspected, as it's pretty infamous for, well, being one of the worst major releases ever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was watching Romancing the Stone and it had that shot where a vehicle drives up, and you see someone's feet as they get out, then the camera slowly pans up. It's a really cool shot and I was wondering who was the first to use it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

How the hell could Town and Country cost that must? Did Betty just pay himself like 70mil for directing or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_and_Country_(film)

quote:

The production itself began on 8 June 1998 on a budget of $44 million, including $5 million up front for Warren Beatty. Filming was originally supposed to wrap by the fall of 1998 for a summer or fall 1999 release. Various problems occurred during filming, however, including Beatty's meticulous demand for many takes. Also, the script was still being developed, as writers were not satisfied with the ending originally written by Michael Laughlin. Various other screenwriters were brought in, including Paul Attanasio and Gary Ross. By April 1999, production was still going, but Garry Shandling had to leave to do another film (What Planet Are You From?) as did Diane Keaton (Hanging Up). It would take a full year before they could gather the cast back together to film the new pages written by Buck Henry.
Reshoots began on 10 April 2000, and wrapped by late April/early May 2000. More money was spent since the other cast members had to be paid their full salaries again.

An example of money wasted, from IMDB:
The winter mountain scenes (filmed in Sun Valley, Idaho) started filming in the early winter. Unfortunately, there was no snow on the ground at the time. Several scenes were filmed with manmade snow. After filming these scenes, over a foot of natural snow feel the next day. Some of the scenes were re-shot in the "natural" background.

Interesting article about the mess:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/15/arts/15LYMA.html?ex=1169960400&en=b6c9a41a52441280&ei=5070

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know if the record still stands, but Cutthroat Island was listed as the biggest box office bomb ever by the Guinness Book of World records. All of the lists I look at online list only films made after 1980 starting with Heaven's Gate, with the exception that some list Cleopatra. I refuse to believe there were no major (inflation-adjusted) box office bombs before Heaven's Gate except Cleopatra because before home video the box office was the end of the line. I suspect it's mostly data collection. More recent movies have more accurate box office totals(or even have totals at all) and recent movies can add 1/3+ to their losses through prints & advertising. For many older movies those numbers just don't exist.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VorpalBunny posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_and_Country_(film)

An example of money wasted, from IMDB:
The winter mountain scenes (filmed in Sun Valley, Idaho) started filming in the early winter. Unfortunately, there was no snow on the ground at the time. Several scenes were filmed with manmade snow. After filming these scenes, over a foot of natural snow feel the next day. Some of the scenes were re-shot in the "natural" background.

Interesting article about the mess:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/15/arts/15LYMA.html?ex=1169960400&en=b6c9a41a52441280&ei=5070

That's insane. Not unlike Cimino and Heaven's Gate though. But there is a history of disastrous productions turning out great. Apocalypse Now seemed like it was headed there, but it turned out to be one of the best films ever made. Same thing with Citizen Kane. So maybe studios are willing to take risks like that.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

That's insane. Not unlike Cimino and Heaven's Gate though. But there is a history of disastrous productions turning out great. Apocalypse Now seemed like it was headed there, but it turned out to be one of the best films ever made. Same thing with Citizen Kane. So maybe studios are willing to take risks like that.

The talk of TITANIC was all doom and gloom, they even moved the release date from summer to winter to give Cameron more time to put the film together. 20th Century Fox was certain it would ruin them.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Dr. Coffee posted:

the Coens

I know I'm a little late to the party, but this is awesome. After I watched Barton Fink, I was really confused about what I just saw, but I liked it anyway, if only because I am a fan of the Coens' movies. A question I have is, are all Coen brothers movies metaphors, allegories, or otherwise retold stories? I understand No Country was an adaptation, and maybe there are others, but I read about The Big Lebowski being about Jesus, and how O Brother, Where Art Thou? is pretty much The Odyssey. I wonder about Fargo, which I have seen parts of, and Blood Simple, which I have not seen yet.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Has anyone watched the movie Thirst, an asian vampire movie? It was a good movie, but I might have missed something because I did not understand one scene near the end, Why did the guy rape a girl in the tent before going off to the sunrise it just seemed pretty out of character unless i totally missed something

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet
It was out of character compared with what he was at the start of the film, but not what he'd become. I mean he'd just (passively) assisted in the slaughter of several people, and had almost lost his ability to control his urges. Thats why he chose to kill himself and her, because he couldnt live with what they'd become. I think that scene was there just to make clear how far he'd degenerated, so that his next action made more sense, and was even kind of noble.

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 10, 2010

CHOICE COD
Mar 11, 2007
Sometimes I'll eat money. Just to do it. Just to see how it feels. It feels good, it feels powerful.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die is pretty thorough: https://www.1001beforeyoudie.com

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Thirst

Nodrog posted:

It was out of character compared with what he was at the start of the film, but not what he'd become. I mean he'd just (passively) assisted in the slaughter of several people, and had almost lost his ability to control his urges. Thats why he chose to kill himself and her, because he couldnt live with what they'd become. I think that scene was there just to make clear how far he'd degenerated, so that his next action made more sense, and was even kind of noble.

but at the same time they showed that he didn't really kill the other girl in the apartment, he just pretended too. If he wanted to rape someone why didn't he just rape her, why go to a village of dying and wounded people to rape someone. Or was it just in some round about way to show those people that he wasn't a god or someone who should be worshiped. I guess that makes sense, it just seemed really out of place to me

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Ok maybe someone can help me with this.

I'm looking for the name of a movie where a guy is hit by a car, launched into the air and shot with a rocket launcher.

I know the movie is awful I also think the guy was on a skateboard, he also shot one of the people in the car before the above happened.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

ghoti sticks posted:

I know I'm a little late to the party, but this is awesome. After I watched Barton Fink, I was really confused about what I just saw, but I liked it anyway, if only because I am a fan of the Coens' movies. A question I have is, are all Coen brothers movies metaphors, allegories, or otherwise retold stories? I understand No Country was an adaptation, and maybe there are others, but I read about The Big Lebowski being about Jesus, and how O Brother, Where Art Thou? is pretty much The Odyssey. I wonder about Fargo, which I have seen parts of, and Blood Simple, which I have not seen yet.

From what I know about Blood Simple, I read once that the Coens actually wrote major portions of the film as they shot it. I don't know how true that is or which scenes where conceived on the day, but I think it's safe to say that there wasn't much in the way of allegory/metaphor there. It's more an exercise in not painting yourself into a corner.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jay Dub posted:

From what I know about Blood Simple, I read once that the Coens actually wrote major portions of the film as they shot it.
What? There was an almost complete shot-for-shot storyboard of Blood Simple. (1985) before they shot the first scene. As far as I know this is true of all of the Coen brothers' films; it's one of their signature eccentricities.

SubG fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 11, 2010

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

SubG posted:

What? There was an almost complete shot-for-shot storyboard of Blood Simple. (1985) before they shot the first scene. As far as I know this is true of all of the Coen brothers' films; it's one of their signature eccentricities.

Huh, that's really weird. I mean, it makes perfect sense that the Coens would be meticulous storyboarders, but I distinctly remember reading about how they more or less flew by the seat of their pants on Blood Simple. I can even recall a professor of mine basing the class's entire discussion of Blood Simple around the fact.

drat you, Dr. Theo :argh:

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

The Croc posted:

Ok maybe someone can help me with this.

I'm looking for the name of a movie where a guy is hit by a car, launched into the air and shot with a rocket launcher.

I know the movie is awful I also think the guy was on a skateboard, he also shot one of the people in the car before the above happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOBbmdJTLdE

I guess my General Movie Question is - why the hell were you watching this movie? And what's the deal with the blow-up doll?

I miss the 80s.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I picked up the 30th Anniversary Close Encounters of the Third Kind 3-dvd box set, and I have the option of watching the theatrical version, the special edition, or the director's cut.

I've never seen the film before. Which one should I watch?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I saw the special edition when it was released in the cinemas so I would say go with that. Any of the three is te right choice, might actually be worth going in order then switching up when you rewatch later.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even Spielberg doesn't like the Special Edition from what I recall (something about the studio pressuring him to include the ship's interior). Watch the director's cut.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is probably a page with this, or i could do painstaking research and figure it out, but are there any examples of movies made in my life time that have kids in them that became stars later on?

Some I know are Elija Wood in Back to the Future 2, Alicia Witt in Dune, Eliza Duskhu in True likes and Thora Birch in Patroit Games.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

twistedmentat posted:

There is probably a page with this, or i could do painstaking research and figure it out, but are there any examples of movies made in my life time that have kids in them that became stars later on?

Some I know are Elija Wood in Back to the Future 2, Alicia Witt in Dune, Eliza Duskhu in True likes and Thora Birch in Patroit Games.

You might want to edit in what constitutes your "life time", for reference. Not trying to be snarky, anyone who wants to answer is going to need to know what timespan you are asking about.
You have already listed things I didn't know, haha, so I have no info at all. Elija Wood was in BttF2? Holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Barometer posted:

You have already listed things I didn't know, haha, so I have no info at all. Elija Wood was in BttF2? Holy crap.

You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!