Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My new job gives me hardly any free time to practice modeling, working at a proper studio sucks :D
Here's what I'm working on at the moment, I was in a barren patch of inspiration so I thought I'd have a go at the old CG standby. I guess I'm trying to do it less of a cliche way but yes, it's the most unoriginal thing ever to model. Sue me.
Everything is WIP, the legs are a bit wacky now that I look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Dude that totally rocks as always. Where dis you learn anatomy I really want to get better at it!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

brian encino man posted:

Dude that totally rocks as always. Where dis you learn anatomy I really want to get better at it!

What he said!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 30, 2010

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Here's something I've been working on for the past couple days. We're (hopefully) going to be providing some frames to this guy that buys islands and builds/rents villas out for obscene amounts of money, in the $4500 USD/night 3 night minimum range. Lots of modeling left, and a proper water shader with some interaction with the sand, but it's moving along. Finally made a displacement map out of modeled stone masonry, works a lot quicker than the old rocks & blobmesh overkill.

Click here for the full 1200x640 image.

edit: Thanks for ruining the page with a first reply masterpiece, eoin you jerk. One thing that has always bothered me about orc models is the cleanliness of the navel tie. I've always imagined they, as a primitive race, wouldn't have the most skillfully done belly buttons. Nitpicky, I know, but really I have nothing else to complain about, looks great!

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2010

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Handiklap posted:

Here's something I've been working on for the past couple days.

I'm trying to not give you comments on poo poo you're already planning to do, but really spend some time on the water/beach interaction (use a camera projected image which you made in photoshop if you have to) because thats going to make or break the image.

It's got potential to be an awesome image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm trying to not give you comments on poo poo you're already planning to do, but really spend some time on the water/beach interaction (use a camera projected image which you made in photoshop if you have to) because thats going to make or break the image.

It's got potential to be an awesome image.

No, by all means. Reinforcement of plans is just the same to me. It's a bit tough being the only 3d guy at a company, with everyone drooling over your rushed, admittedly half-baked attempts at visualization. Hard to get a feel for what's really working and what's just "oh wow a 3d tree! It's got leaves and everything, totally cool, handiklap".

I'm going to grade and smooth that slope a bit more, and the water will be modeled with the leading edge rolling over and foaming. A few well-placed falloffs on the sand for diffuse and reflection/glossiness and it should be a lot more convincing.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Handiklap posted:

Here's something I've been working on for the past couple days. We're (hopefully) going to be providing some frames to this guy that buys islands and builds/rents villas out for obscene amounts of money, in the $4500 USD/night 3 night minimum range. Lots of modeling left, and a proper water shader with some interaction with the sand, but it's moving along. Finally made a displacement map out of modeled stone masonry, works a lot quicker than the old rocks & blobmesh overkill.

Click here for the full 1200x640 image.

I know next to nothing about 3d and your job, but can I ask what's going on int he sky? It look like a black version of the northern lights, only pixely and in a tropical island. Maybe I just don't know what its supposed to be, but for me thats really distracting when looking at the image.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That would be a lighting or reflection environment image I'm guessing. The final sky will be comped in or replaced at a later time.

Brian Encino Man: Anatomy is about observation and learning the purpose of each muscle group and how it relates to bone structures and fatty areas that lie underneath/on top of it. I've just picked it up by practicing and making a lot of lovely models. If you go back through this thread you'll probably find some pretty ordinary anatomy by me. It's something you never finish learning though, like everything :(

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Pretty amazing sculpt Eoin.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

EoinCannon posted:

cliche

Cliches are awesome when done well, your's is awesome.

On the other hand I spent a few hours the other day rigging a dogs junk. Good times.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Well, I haven't posted in this thread in approximately 6000 years. Glad to be back!

Here's a model I'm working on in Max, made for a short film. It's not textured yet -- that's what I'm hoping to do today.

Animating the drat thing turned out to be a huge bitch, since I couldn't quite get an IK solution working. I ended up using Reactor. :pwn:

Feedback would be much appreciated!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
drat, I've forgotten how long it takes to texture something nicely. Granted I've been following a tutorial on hard surface texturing to try and get some better-looking results than usual though.

I've textured the counterweights for the meantime:

There are pretty much only wide shots of this thing which is why I'm not putting in a huge amount of detail in those little crevice bits. I'd be keen on trying something procedural to help it along though.

UVW unwrap is not one of my strengths so I'm learning with this one as I go. :q:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It looks nice so far. Sometimes you've just got to spend the time with texturing to get it looking good. You could reuse textures and use procedurals on lots of the little bits to speed it up I reckon.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

EoinCannon posted:

It looks nice so far. Sometimes you've just got to spend the time with texturing to get it looking good. You could reuse textures and use procedurals on lots of the little bits to speed it up I reckon.

Thanks! Yeah, that seems wise to me. When I get some downtime in the next couple of days I'm gonna do quick renders for each shot to figure out how much detail is required, and then do the rest of the texturing accordingly.

A friend of mine was telling me that in this music video they used procedurals for everything except for little details that got close to camera. In a way the VFX in it is a little bit dated, but other than that I guess it works.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Could someone tell me if it's possible to render only an Ambient Occlusion pass out of Cinema 4D? Like without it having to render all the other shaders and stuff.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

FLX posted:

Could someone tell me if it's possible to render only an Ambient Occlusion pass out of Cinema 4D? Like without it having to render all the other shaders and stuff.

I have absolutely zero experience with C4D, but in a lot of other applications there's a rendering option for an override material, which would be applied to all objects at render time, without the need to assign it manually or reassign materials afterwards.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Speaking of C4D, are there any really good tutorials out there for this thing? I can find a lot of tool-specific stuff, but no project tutorials(modeling a character from scratch, etc). I already know how to model and render and all the other good stuff in Maya and Max, I just like learning a new program with a really comprehensive tutorial that helps me find all the tools I know by heart in other apps. C4D is actually pretty fun to use compared to most other 3D programs and I want to get into it deeper.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Sigma-X posted:

Retopo after making a high-res sculpt is the way pretty much everyone does it, especially for characters.

I have one question- after looking at some tutorials and such online, as I understand it, the workflow is:

1) Model base mesh
2) Import into sculpting program, sculpt high res details
3) Make retopologized mesh with proper edge flow etc.
4) Apply displacement map calculated from high res mesh and original model to retopologized model

How do you ensure that the displacement map will be correctly applied? I imagine that the retopologized mesh will not have the same UVs as the original model which was used to generate the displacement map, so how do you ensure that everything lines up properly? For instance in this video by Wayne Robson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP9_frQw5Dw

He applies the displacement map to the retopologized mesh and then has to fix some errors with the displacement. I imagine after he generates a new, accurate map for use with the retopologized mesh during rendering. In his video the displacement map applies pretty nicely despite having to do a few fixes, but I imagine that that wouldn't necessarily be the case every time depending on how much the model changes between the base mesh and the retopo, and I think that I'm missing a step. Thanks in advance for any info.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

You make UVs for the retopologized mesh, then caculate the normal map or displacement map from the difference between that and the sculpt.

Xnormal is a good tool for this but I think Topogun also generates normal maps too.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 3, 2010

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
I've been doing some slapcomps with the still-not-finished derrick to see how it's looking with the footage:

Hmmm. I think this is gonna be a pretty big job. I'll need to do a better shadow pass too.

Part of the challenge is that a lot of my footage alternates between overcast and sunny weather (in fact the plate for the shot above was very sunny with a blue sky & hard shadows) so I'm gonna grade everything to look overcast and then do the CG from there, I guess.

And yeah, I know it's a totally unlikely place for an oil derrick to be, but that's part of the idea :)

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

schmuckfeatures posted:

:lost:

I'm happy to find out the background is a plate. I was about to be pissed that you beat me to the punch posting an ocean/foam shader.

Still needs some work, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

schmuckfeatures posted:

I've been doing some slapcomps with the still-not-finished derrick to see how it's looking with the footage:

Hmmm. I think this is gonna be a pretty big job. I'll need to do a better shadow pass too.

Part of the challenge is that a lot of my footage alternates between overcast and sunny weather (in fact the plate for the shot above was very sunny with a blue sky & hard shadows) so I'm gonna grade everything to look overcast and then do the CG from there, I guess.

And yeah, I know it's a totally unlikely place for an oil derrick to be, but that's part of the idea :)

To my completely trained eye, this looks near photo-realistic, and I imagine you'll fix that parts later that stood out to me (the black space beneath the derrick for one, I would think it would have been filled with sand at some point).

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Handiklap posted:

:lost:

I'm happy to find out the background is a plate. I was about to be pissed that you beat me to the punch posting an ocean/foam shader.

Still needs some work, but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Nice, that looks pretty good. I'm hoping I won't have to make any CG ocean or foam -- I tried to get enough plates so that I'd be able to do the ocean entirely through compositing, since water tends to be such a bitch to do convincingly.

quote:

To my completely trained eye, this looks near photo-realistic, and I imagine you'll fix that parts later that stood out to me (the black space beneath the derrick for one, I would think it would have been filled with sand at some point).

Thanks dude. Yeah, the shadows definitely need work and that little recessed area underneath the derrick has definitely gotta go.

Gonna do some more work at this over the weekend.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I finally got myself Zbrush, so I thought I'd open it up and give it a whirl.

I ended up creating this thing:

I'm pretty proud since this is the first time I've ever done anything like this, and I've never even been able to draw either.

Edit:

Petey Piranha anyone?

Jewel fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 6, 2010

Unconventional Oven
Jan 24, 2006

Not your ordinary oven.
I started zbrush just recently too, this is my 4th or so try with messing around in the program. I really enjoy it so far. His lips are a little weird, but I like how it came out.

me trying to fiddle with the textures :I

Unconventional Oven fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 7, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that could build a 3D model from a 3D file? Probably with a 5 axis mill or similar?
I have to build something for my final year project and places are after £20k and stupid poo poo.
Any goons in the industry? Could really do with some help here.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Your best option is to have it printed in plastic. Prices range anywhere from $20-$50/square inch. Just search around for "3D Printer Service" or if there's a major art school in the area sometimes the students have access to them and you can pay them a little less.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

A5H posted:

Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that could build a 3D model from a 3D file? Probably with a 5 axis mill or similar?
I have to build something for my final year project and places are after £20k and stupid poo poo.
Any goons in the industry? Could really do with some help here.

Teesside University up here in Boro have a 3d printer. Only problem is the price rises stupidly quickly the bigger your model gets and you can't seem to have colour unless you want to pay thousands.

Incidentally, my newest folio piece.

Click here for the full 1224x950 image.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Are the gears just straight normal mapped or did you bake just an AO pass onto it? They look like they're all molded together which doesn't look right. I would add some color variation and mess with the specular to make the gears more anistropic looking. It almost looks self illuminated and if you're going for that kind of look you may as well paint in the gears to give them more of a layered effect.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Aliginge posted:

TaDaa! an 841 polygon low poly cube!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

I like the colours and the render and everything, but can we get a wireframe? I think that looks way too high poly for what it is, especially considering you're using a normal map. Also a 2048 texture seems a little excessive. Don't worry these are always the same issues everyone starting out has, but let's try and get it a bit more efficient.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

ceebee posted:

Are the gears just straight normal mapped or did you bake just an AO pass onto it? They look like they're all molded together which doesn't look right. I would add some color variation and mess with the specular to make the gears more anistropic looking. It almost looks self illuminated and if you're going for that kind of look you may as well paint in the gears to give them more of a layered effect.

Normal mapped with AO and a few modelled gears for some extra depth. Since the extra depth isn't really showing I may as well remove those modelled gears and stick with just a normalled surface then. :shobon:

brian encino man posted:

I like the colours and the render and everything, but can we get a wireframe? I think that looks way too high poly for what it is, especially considering you're using a normal map. Also a 2048 texture seems a little excessive. Don't worry these are always the same issues everyone starting out has, but let's try and get it a bit more efficient.
Yeah, I see where I can get the polycount down. I'll do out another render and get you a wireframe when I optimise the poo poo out of it. Curse my love of chamfered edges. :)

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 8, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ceebee posted:

Your best option is to have it printed in plastic. Prices range anywhere from $20-$50/square inch. Just search around for "3D Printer Service" or if there's a major art school in the area sometimes the students have access to them and you can pay them a little less.

Yeah I don't think this would be feasible for the size I'm looking at. I have to do a car in about 1/4 scale. So just about a metre in length.

My uni have a 3D mill, but only 10 people a year can use it, and since I don't know any of the technicians, I missed out on getting to do it that way.

Also Aliginge, I'm from Boro, how strange. Doing a auto design degree down in Coventry though.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
vray distributed rendering is awesome. seeing a frame buffer with 60-something buckets in it is a thing of beauty.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

A5H posted:

Yeah I don't think this would be feasible for the size I'm looking at. I have to do a car in about 1/4 scale. So just about a metre in length.

You have to, and the uni wont provide it? Thats really loving weird, they cant expect to throw something like that down and expect you to cough up a 20k bill in your final year. At that size, it wont be cheap anywhere.

Have you spoke to the higher ups? only letting 10 people use a machine each year which is essential for a final project is a total joke, you need to bring that up.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 8, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

You have to, and the uni wont provide it? Thats really loving weird, they cant expect to throw something like that down and expect you to cough up a 20k bill in your final year. At that size, it wont be cheap anywhere.

Have you spoke to the higher ups? only letting 10 people use a machine each year which is essential for a final project is a total joke, you need to bring that up.

They just say that if I can't afford it I should just work in clay instead. It seems unfair, but that's life I guess. Some people that did placements at Jaguar and the like just have the company they worked for build it.

It also blows my mind that there are students that cough up 20k for a model. What the hell.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

Teesside University up here in Boro have a 3d printer. Only problem is the price rises stupidly quickly the bigger your model gets and you can't seem to have colour unless you want to pay thousands.

Your screen doesn't look to be of laptop proportions (16:10 or whatever, it looks closer to 11:10 or something). All the gears on the top are the same material, spotless, and otherwise completely undifferentiated. Make them subtly different shades, or altogether different materials, or at least cut and paste each gear out and rotate the "kind of not really brass" material you're using so the fine details don't all go in the same direction.

Overall your textures look rather blurry for 2048x2048. Run a sharpen filter over it at the very least.

and yeah, 841 tris is an awful lot for something that is nearly a perfect box. Even with the feet and the wood bars on the top I can't see this getting that high.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A5H posted:

It also blows my mind that there are students that cough up 20k for a model. What the hell.

And I thought the couple hundred my old college use to require students to spend to professionally bind a large artbook/portfolio of their work for graduation was ridiculous.

No offense or anything but usually the models you make in college sort of suck and after you have a professional job for 3 months you look back at your old work in horror. I couldn't imagine spending 20k on anything I modeled in college. I don't have anything now that I'd be willing to fork that much over.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You could probably whip up some augmented reality poo poo for less than that. Throw the glasses on and boom - the 3d car model is full size in the room and you can walk around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

A5H posted:

My uni have a 3D mill, but only 10 people a year can use it, and since I don't know any of the technicians, I missed out on getting to do it that way.

Also Aliginge, I'm from Boro, how strange. Doing a auto design degree down in Coventry though.

Hah that's where I am. Sorry mate..