Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

People are reporting that they still can find The Third Man Blu-Ray at Border's brick and mortar stores. So if you feel you've missed your chance, you might want to shop around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FitFortDanga posted:

People are reporting that they still can find The Third Man Blu-Ray at Border's brick and mortar stores. So if you feel you've missed your chance, you might want to shop around.

It's true, I just bought a copy at my local Border's about a month ago, it was listed at $34.99 but Border's coupons are easy enough to find to make it even cheaper.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From cf.org:

quote:

I can't disclose too much information, but a source has told me that Criterion is in the middle of restoring The Thin Red Line under supervision of Terrance Malick and they hope to get it out by the end of the year. This source is extremely reliable so I would believe what they say.

This is awesome if true. I've been holding out on buying TTRL just in case something like this was in the works.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:aaaaa: That's like 5 titles I can scratch off my top 10 list now.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

From cf.org:

This is awesome if true. I've been holding out on buying TTRL just in case something like this was in the works.

Any idea whether it will be the theatrical or the extended cut of the film? I've always wanted to see the 5-hour version.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
:woop:
The Fox DVD doesn't do it justice.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Maybe I'll be able to understand The Thin Red Line now. Good call for Criterion if its true.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
I know this is the DVD thread but Ebert just tweeted about this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion email posted:

Dear Criterion collectors,

Our three least favorite initials: OOP. Since we launched the Criterion Collection more than twenty-five years ago, we’ve endeavored to keep everything we’ve published in print. But despite our efforts to renew rights, we are losing a large group of titles from StudioCanal at the end of March, and we wanted to give you advance notice that our editions will be going out of print. Until we’re out of stock, we will be offering these titles at an additional $5 off on our website. The titles are going to Lionsgate, and we don’t know when they may be rereleased. As ever, we will continue to try to relicense the films so that they can rejoin the collection sometime in the future.

Here are the titles that will soon be out of print:

Alphaville
Carlos Saura’s Flamenco Trilogy (Eclipse Series 6)
Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Diary of a Country Priest
The Fallen Idol
Forbidden Games (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Gervaise (Essential Art House edition)
Grand Illusion (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Le jour se lève (Essential Art House edition)
Last Holiday (Essential Art House edition)
Mayerling (Essential Art House edition)
The Orphic Trilogy
Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfèvres
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)
Trafic
Le trou
Variety Lights (Essential Art House edition)
The White Sheik

Take note: this may be your last chance to pick up spine number 1 from the collection.

Happy viewing!
The Criterion Collection

I actually don't own any of those. I might pick up Diary of a Country Priest, even though it's one of the few Bressons I don't like very much. Tempting to grab as many as I can for future eBay purposes.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I may grab The Tales of Hoffmann, I've been wanting to see that for a while. Trafic? Hasn't that only been out like a year?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

I may grab The Tales of Hoffmann, I've been wanting to see that for a while. Trafic? Hasn't that only been out like a year?

Year and a half, but I'm guessing they knew this was coming, considering all the Essential Art House films going OOP. They probably put them out just to get something out there since they knew they wouldn't have time to make full editions.

If I had confidence that Lionsgate would put out better editions of some of these I wouldn't mind so much.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Jeez that sucks. I guess I will pick up Peeping Tom, Tales of Hoffmann, and Trafic sometime soon so I don't have to pay out the nose for them later. The others I don't really care about, or own already, although Small Back Room and The Fallen Idol were both pretty good. I would pick up Grand Illusion but there are no doubt a ton of copies sitting in stores across the country already so waiting on it might not hurt.

Apex
Jan 26, 2004

Anyone know of any big sales looming for blu-ray criterions? I have a lot of movies I want to pick up, including Pierrot Le Fou, but I wouldn't mind getting it a bit cheaper. I missed out on the Third Man because I was avoiding this thread like the plague while I was unemployed, however now that I have a decent job I'm just waiting for a good sale to come around.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If I had confidence that Lionsgate would put out better editions of some of these I wouldn't mind so much.

This is about special features, right? I don't know much about rights issues and licensing with regard to particular transfers, but I can't imagine Lionsgate would put any of these movies out without using the Criterion restorations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Criterion email posted:

Peeping Tom
Pierrot le fou (DVD and Blu-ray editions)
The Small Back Room
The Tales of Hoffmann (Criterion and Essential Art House editions)

:frogsiren:

I have no money but I must buy these now, and I've only seen one and a third of them. That's how little trust I have in Lionsgate.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This is about special features, right? I don't know much about rights issues and licensing with regard to particular transfers, but I can't imagine Lionsgate would put any of these movies out without using the Criterion restorations.

Primarily yes, a bunch of those films could use better, or any, special features. With Lionsgate one can never be sure about anything, though I guess if the actual transfers were licensed from Studio Canal then they'll be reused.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I called this a few months ago!

Thankfully, I already got Grand Illusion (EAH edition) and Peeping Tom... but Optimum (UK) has Blus planned for this year with new remasters. I think their SC ports last year were region free, so these might as well. Don't splurge unless you have money to burn or can't live without the extras.

I guess I'll go ahead and get Pierrot Le Fou since I've wanted to see it again.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I've never seen The Fallen Idol but I absolutely love The Third Man. Is it worth a blind buy?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Friedpundit posted:

I've never seen The Fallen Idol but I absolutely love The Third Man. Is it worth a blind buy?

No, they're not very similar. Fallen Idol is okay, but the central character is a really irritating child.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Don't splurge unless you have money to burn or can't live without the extras.

Or if you think they won't come back out quick. The Flamenco Trilogy doesn't strike me as something Lionsgate is burning to reissue.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Blah. Watching how it appears that Lionsgate is going to handle their release of Ran, I don't trust them do justice to any of these titles.

Luckily there's only a few from this list that I really need to have. I was holding out for a Trafic blu-ray (I know it's not his best, but I still enjoy it) but I guess now I'll finally break down and pick it up.

Definitely on the fence for a few of these, like Le corbeau, for instance.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
The Pierrot Blu-Ray is only 24 on Amazon so I went ahead and picked it up. I liked it enough to consider watching it again but since I don't trust Lionsgate to do basically anything correctly I might as well buy it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Man, I own seven of those on that list, but I still have a way to go. I don't want to miss out on some of those releases. :(

Never got my Nights of Cabiria either. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, buying two premium releases might be cheaper off Criterion's site than even Amazon. Pierrot Blu + Trafic = $54. On Amazon, it's $60 plus S&H (if not super saver). This will be the first time I buy directly from Criterion (besides a Janus shirt a few months ago).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 3, 2010

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Oh god. Thin Red Line on Blu-ray. I may just have to buy a bluray player.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater

soggybagel posted:

Oh god. Thin Red Line on Blu-ray. I may just have to buy a bluray player.
I just got around to seeing Days of Heaven and had almost the exact same thought. Hopefully they add some of the cut footage like the entire Mickey Rourke character. Apparently the first cut was 5+ hours long and I would have no problems with watching it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I just got back from seeing the new Janus 35mm restoration of M. Hulot's Holiday... beautiful! It does have a lot of printed-in scratches in opticals, but it's very nicely detailed. This is going to look great on BluRay.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Eric Skillman released this image today for one of his upcoming Criterion covers, but removed the title treatment as the film hasn't been announced yet:

Click here for the full 511x720 image.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zeroordie posted:

Eric Skillman released this image today for one of his upcoming Criterion covers, but removed the title treatment as the film hasn't been announced yet:

cf.org nailed it: Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

zeroordie posted:

I think it's fairly safe to say that it isn't Frozen. Come to think of it I can't think of a "criterion worthy" film that takes place on a ski slope or chairlift/gondola.

EDIT: Beaten by FFD, making my speculation useless. Also is The Spy Who Came in from the Cold worth buying, I'm not expecting The Third Man quality but I'm really in the mood for a good spy flick.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Got my Pierrot Le Fou bluray today, just in time I guess since Amazon has it at shipping in 10-14 days now.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

cf.org nailed it: Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich

Yeah, good call. I checked over there first but looked in the wrong thread and missed that.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Got my Pierrot Le Fou bluray today, just in time I guess since Amazon has it at shipping in 10-14 days now.

My copy came freakishly fast. I ordered it on thursday afternoon, used free shipping, and it was at my house on Saturday. Now if only Criterion would hurry up with my Trafic/Diary of a Country Priest I'd be in business.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

SneakySneaks posted:

Also is The Spy Who Came in from the Cold worth buying, I'm not expecting The Third Man quality but I'm really in the mood for a good spy flick.

I thought it was fantastic, I'm no expert on the genre but I'd say it was the best spy film I've ever seen.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone here seen Mishima, and if so would you recommend it?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yes and yes. It's a pretty fascinating movie. I wouldn't pay for getting Patriotism too, though.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

I love it, and I highly recommend watching it with the Japanese audio, it fits the movie so much better.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apparently a Hollis Frampton set is in the works. I've been meaning to check out his work. All I know about him is:

* experimental filmmaker
* "Zorn's Lemma" is on the TSPDT 1000 list
* someone here didn't like him (PeacefulAnarchy, I think?)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently a Hollis Frampton set is in the works. I've been meaning to check out his work. All I know about him is:

* experimental filmmaker
I've only seen Zorn's Lemma, so I can't say I don't like him, but yeah I didn't like Zorn's Lemma at all.

I suppose it's nice to see Criterion going out on a limb, even if I wish it were a different one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

TheManWithNoName posted:

If anyone is concerned with Amazon running out, I just got a copy at Borders. Their price is $39.99 but Borders Rewards members get a 33% off coupon this week that brings it to almost the same price as Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

* experimental filmmaker

I'd rather see a collection of Len Lye, if any experimental filmmakers are to be considered. A few of his GPO films were issued by BFI in England, but none of his films are available in the US legally.