Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Where did "this is a shoot, brother" come from? Did Hogan actually say that at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Much like, "You're not my father!" from Star Wars, the exact line never happened, but Hogan said poo poo like that all the time.

One example is when he was recruiting Horace to the nWo.

"What's your name?"

"Horace."

"No, brother. Let's shoot with this thing."

"Horace... Hogan!"

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

LividLiquid posted:

Much like, "You're not my father!" from Star Wars, the exact line never happened, but Hogan said poo poo like that all the time.

"Luke, I am your father." :eng101:

That's the line everyone "remembers." When, the exchange really is:

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Vader: No. I am your father.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've heard both. And my point was that neither is actually in Empire, much like the point I was trying to make about "This is a shoot, brother."

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Hockles posted:

"Luke, I am your father." :eng101:

That's the line everyone "remembers." When, the exchange really is:

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.
Luke: He told me enough! He told me you killed him!
Vader: No. I am your father.

I want to punch anybody that misquotes it.

I didn't watch wrestling from late 2001-2004/5, so I missed out on Brock Lesnars run. Where the gently caress should I start with it and what matches should I watch? I want to be a witness of this poo poo.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

The A-Team Van posted:

I didn't watch wrestling from late 2001-2004/5, so I missed out on Brock Lesnars run. Where the gently caress should I start with it and what matches should I watch? I want to be a witness of this poo poo.
Lesnar vs Hardys, Judgement Day 2002
Lesnar vs RVD, King of the Ring 2002 Final
Lesnar vs Hogan, Smackdown
Lesnar vs The Rock (WWE Championship Match) Summerslam 2002
Lesnar vs The Undertaker Hell In A Cell, No Mercy 2002
My fave Lesnar moment

Dragging Iron Feet fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 8, 2010

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

The A-Team Van posted:

The here comes the pain dvd is p good for what it is (has rock match, a big show match, undertaker hiac, angle wm19) and a few neat segments. I got mine at walmart for like five bucks iirc

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The links for these are the same?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Fallon posted:

The links for these are the same?
Fixed.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Plus an Angle and Lesnar funny moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUMYjauEsk

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
"Mankind and Mr. rear end go one on one!" - Jim Ross, 5/24/1999

:D

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can anyone tell me why Steiner is gone from TNA? Did he get fired or did he quit? Did he and Hogan have a bad relationship or something? All I read is "Steiner gone from TNA" but no supporting details.

Bombogenesis!
Feb 5, 2010

by Ozma

ColeM posted:

Plus an Angle and Lesnar funny moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUMYjauEsk

They had so much chemistry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhlJ0sUZM8

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Can anyone tell me why Steiner is gone from TNA? Did he get fired or did he quit? Did he and Hogan have a bad relationship or something? All I read is "Steiner gone from TNA" but no supporting details.
That's all that's out there so far.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Perhaps a Jeff Jarrett buddy? I don't really know where Steiner stood in the political hierarchy.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Perhaps a Jeff Jarrett buddy? I don't really know where Steiner stood in the political hierarchy.

Huh?

On a more serious note, though... I'd like to hope that someone finally got through to him about needing to take it easy and heal up some, take some bulk off... maybe get some recreational pogo stick time?

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

ColeM posted:

Man I just realised, Lesnar destroyed Hogan, The Rock & Undertaker in like 6 months of debuting. That's loving amazing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are WWEClassics.com subscriptions available to users in the UK? Sounds like a good deal.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I think I have a possible answer to my own question.

I think that Radicalz/DX vs. Too Cool, Rikishi, the Rock & Mick Foley could have drawn money but was given away for free.

that's actually the match that got me back into wrestling. I remember seeing it on a TV in a bar and being absolutely blown away.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are WWEClassics.com subscriptions available to users in the UK? Sounds like a good deal.

Considering that it says "Available worldwide" on the frontpage of the site, then I'm going to guess that yes it is available to users in the UK.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MrBling posted:

Considering that it says "Available worldwide" on the frontpage of the site, then I'm going to guess that yes it is available to users in the UK.

It honestly didn't say that when I looked yesterday. Maybe it's because I followed a US goon's link, but it just had the dollar prices for subscriptions there.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I was digging around WWEClassics and they have 3 episodes of The Bobby Heenan Show up.

That is something everyone needs to see, it's a piece of art.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Why did the Undertaker switch his finisher to the Last Ride when he came back as American Badass Taker?

With his knees getting shoddier you'd figure he'd move away form moves the require him to support the entire weight of another person on top of him.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Pile drivers were banned for a period of time, and are still only used sparingly today, so he needed a new finisher. He did do the tombstone pile driver on Triple H when he returned with the bad rear end gimmick, and that pile driver led to the ban in the first place because Triple H got a stinger from it.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Pile drivers were banned for a period of time, and are still only used sparingly today, so he needed a new finisher. He did do the tombstone pile driver on Triple H when he returned with the bad rear end gimmick, and that pile driver led to the ban in the first place because Triple H got a stinger from it.

I forgot about the pile driver ban, but I thought that was because of Owen breaking Austin's neck?

Didn't Steiner have a really ugly botch with his old pile driver finisher that's why he switched finishers too?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LightsGameraAction posted:

I forgot about the pile driver ban, but I thought that was because of Owen breaking Austin's neck?

Didn't Steiner have a really ugly botch with his old pile driver finisher that's why he switched finishers too?

The Steiner screwdriver looked like it should have killed people. I'm surprised anyone would take it. I assume this is the move you mean?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Yea I forgot the name. And I thought he did almost kill somebody with it, which is why he stopped. Forget who though.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

The pile driver ban came years later in 2000. The Austin incident happened in 1997.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Interesting, on the wikipedia page it says only Undertaker and Kane are cleared to perform piledrivers in the WWE now, but I feel like I've seen other people performing them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What's the source on these move "bans" that have happened from time to time? They always struck me as something that the IWC types just made up during slow news days.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Minidust posted:

What's the source on these move "bans" that have happened from time to time? They always struck me as something that the IWC types just made up during slow news days.

I don't know about any others but the piledriver one was real, although they apparently make some exceptions for signature moves. I don't know who makes it official though.

It just has to do with the risk of loving up and almost killing someone involved in a move. Piledrivers are on average extremely dangerous even if both people know what they're doing.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Interesting, on the wikipedia page it says only Undertaker and Kane are cleared to perform piledrivers in the WWE now, but I feel like I've seen other people performing them.

HBK piledrove Cena at a Wrestlemania.

I find it hard to believe that HHH and HBK aren'y allowed do whatever move they want whenever they want, because they're trusted to be safe.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Von Linus posted:

I find it hard to believe that HHH and HBK aren'y allowed do whatever move they want whenever they want, because they're trusted to be safe.

HBK was the first to bring back the crossface, so yeah, they probably can piledrive people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wasn't one of the ironic things that it was Taker's piledriver that lead to the ban on piledrivers but one of the only wrestlers who was still allowed to do them because he was safe was.... Taker!?!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Von Linus posted:

Considering a piledriver almost put an end to WWE's biggest cash cow in history (Austin), it's just typically not worth it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The weird thing is, the traditional piledriver is a pretty darn safe move as the head is totally protected. The tombstone is a bit more iffy since it is all up to placement.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Von Linus posted:

John Cena was out for months because he tore his pec on a hip toss. If you're WWE you don't want your top stars doing anything that will provide unnecessary risk. You're going "hey, all my wrestlers are getting neck injuries. I'll ban piledrivers since that's one of the riskier moves. Also, the handful of times they're used will be super-over too."

Hell, it's the same logic that worked in Mexico and Memphis if you look at the psychology of banning it. It was a banned move and the guy who took it acted like it could be a career-ending injury. The fans were conditioned to believe that it was a huge deal.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WeaselWeaz posted:

Hell, it's the same logic that worked in Mexico and Memphis if you look at the psychology of banning it. It was a banned move and the guy who took it acted like it could be a career-ending injury. The fans were conditioned to believe that it was a huge deal.

But in Memphis it was banned in the storyline, but not in real life (although what with it being lawlers finisher, I would be suprised if many other people ever used it in memphis anyway). So when King busted it out the fans knew it was banned and he was doing an illegal move (along with the "Its banned because its so dangerous!" cachet). In the WWE it was the opposite situation, it was banned in real life, but (as far as I know) never banned in the storylines, so it didnt gain that cachet, wrestlers just stopped using in.

Unless I am mistaken, did they give a storyline reason for it being banned?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't one of the ironic things that it was Taker's piledriver that lead to the ban on piledrivers but one of the only wrestlers who was still allowed to do them because he was safe was.... Taker!?!

Welcome to the fantastic high school world of wrestling!

Also it's nutty that someone could think the piledriver ban isn't true. The fact I can actually remember every time a standard piledriver has been performed in the past 5 years or so should be a good indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

Of course, now when Undertaker does the Tombstone, the opponent's head is practically at his nuts when the impact hits.