Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Retrograde posted:

"To the abyss with thee!!"

"Tis better I bury thee in a secret grave with stakes of oak piercing thy hearts and Wraith worms shall hollow out thy noble brows and robust cheeks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Tempted to buy Constructor, I loved that game, but not sure how it aged. Would kill for Theme Hospital on this sucker. But maybe this one will soothe me until then.

I must admit, being a poor kid during the original release of these games, I feel it is my duty to buy them now. Probably going to pick up Vampire and Constructor. Ahh, who am I kidding, getting them now.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AxeManiac posted:

I must admit, being a poor kid during the original release of these games, I feel it is my duty to buy them now. Probably going to pick up Vampire and Constructor. Ahh, who am I kidding, getting them now.

That is half my problem with game collections, buying tons of stuff I never got to get as a poor kid and barely touching them afterwords.

I don't care though, it's still worth it to just have for playing someday. :colbert:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

AxeManiac posted:

Tempted to buy Constructor, I loved that game, but not sure how it aged. Would kill for Theme Hospital on this sucker. But maybe this one will soothe me until then.

I had never heard of Constructor before and I bought it on a whim. It's actually very well made but HOLY poo poo is it frustrating. There are a million things that you need to take care of at once. It started out leisurely enough but as things scale up I started feeling like I was playing Starcraft or something.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The most frustrating part of Constructor is that your workers don't act as guard dogs. When an enemy foreman comes to take over a lot, the workers won't do poo poo until you select them and attack the foreman, even if they're standing in the yard. When you go take over an enemy's lot, his guys will come right after you. With all the other stuff going on -- rich people complaining that their yard doesn't have 14 amenities, repairmen ignoring areas farthest away from the HQ, deliverymen stuck in perpetual loop bugs with kennels -- you'll often miss the warning light that a lot is being stolen.

Still fun, though. I love beating the poo poo out of hippies before my cops can arrest them.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Guzwar posted:

The most frustrating part of Constructor is that your workers don't act as guard dogs. When an enemy foreman comes to take over a lot, the workers won't do poo poo until you select them and attack the foreman, even if they're standing in the yard. When you go take over an enemy's lot, his guys will come right after you. With all the other stuff going on -- rich people complaining that their yard doesn't have 14 amenities, repairmen ignoring areas farthest away from the HQ, deliverymen stuck in perpetual loop bugs with kennels -- you'll often miss the warning light that a lot is being stolen.

Still fun, though. I love beating the poo poo out of hippies before my cops can arrest them.

Yeah, I think I recall just using cheats and messing around with the city builder to smash hippies.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Overwined posted:

I had never heard of Constructor before and I bought it on a whim. It's actually very well made but HOLY poo poo is it frustrating. There are a million things that you need to take care of at once. It started out leisurely enough but as things scale up I started feeling like I was playing Starcraft or something.

I had Constructor years ago and yeah, it's basically impossible. You'll want to love it because it has a few fun components but the game is beyond ridiculous in its player demands so you'll never really get to experience them.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Zachack posted:

I had Constructor years ago and yeah, it's basically impossible. You'll want to love it because it has a few fun components but the game is beyond ridiculous in its player demands so you'll never really get to experience them.

Yeah there are definitely some things that should be automated. We get to automate repairs (poorly) why can't houses be set to auto-let when a tenant dies or leaves?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone know if we're scheduled to see another release today?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mob Rule is up. I remember playing the demo religiously and never finishing the tutorial because some dude with a chainsaw or something appears and destroys everything. I sunk more time into the demo than most other games trying each time to beat it but nope.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

al-azad posted:

Mob Rule is up. I remember playing the demo religiously and never finishing the tutorial because some dude with a chainsaw or something appears and destroys everything. I sunk more time into the demo than most other games trying each time to beat it but nope.

How does this compare to say Gangsters/Gangsters 2?

Both of which they need to get by the way.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Mob Rule is basically the sequel to Constructor and suffers most of the same problems. There's just too much going on that even on the second level things start to get impossible. It's a shame, though, since it's a fun little game otherwise.

wretched_gavek posted:

How does this compare to say Gangsters/Gangsters 2?

Both of which they need to get by the way.

Mob Rule is more of an RTS game, where you're building houses and recruiting units and have to manage an economy along with it. Based on a LP of Gangsters from a while back, it seems like Gangsters is closer to a management game, with more focus on bullying the local businesses and doing a few other things to keep your profit up.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

All gog needs to be perfect is a small utility which you run once and it adds shortcuts to your steam game list, a play shortcut for all gog games you have installed and an "install" shortcut (which just downloads and runs the installer) for all you own but don't have installed. It is odd how much a central game list means to me as a way of remembering that I even have the games.

Then again, this would be something like a few dozen lines of script to create, so perhaps I should just get on it :silent:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
There's a big box copy of Mob Rule at my local Menard's, probably from 1999. It's covered in dust.

It was weird seeing GOG's Top Ten without any Fallout games on it, but it looks like Fallout crept back up to #4.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

All gog needs to be perfect is a small utility which you run once and it adds shortcuts to your steam game list, a play shortcut for all gog games you have installed and an "install" shortcut (which just downloads and runs the installer) for all you own but don't have installed. It is odd how much a central game list means to me as a way of remembering that I even have the games.

Then again, this would be something like a few dozen lines of script to create, so perhaps I should just get on it :silent:

?

Can't you just use 'add non-steam game to list'?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

?

I think he wants Steam to support GoG?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Fooley posted:

I think he wants Steam to support GoG?

Or GoG to support steam, it seems like.

Really, you can easily just add GoG games to your steam list and it's not that hard to do. Plus, you can name them things like Half Life Episode 3 or Portal 2 and get people messaging you about it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

?

Non-steam-game shortcuts are indeed what I want, but I would like to get them added automatically, and in the case of games which I own (are on my gog account) but don't have installed I would like a "Install Fallout" shortcut added, which just runs a wget/curl off of gog.com and runs the executable.

The point being that I have learned from Steam that I am terrible at getting around to games if I don't have them right in front of my face with a minimum of clicks to get to play.

The very best may have been if both gog and Steam did something like that in the Windows "Game folder" (which could be considered neutral ground), the key is just that I would prefer to have a unified and automatically maintained list of the stuff I actually own.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
????
I have shortcuts on my desktop for the games I've installed from GOG.
I'm not exactly sure why it's easier to log into steam and use steam to run your short cuts. What I'm saying is, I think you might be pretty weird. And I think you're asking to buy something at Walmart but have them put it in a Target bag or something.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Non-steam-game shortcuts are indeed what I want, but I would like to get them added automatically, and in the case of games which I own (are on my gog account) but don't have installed I would like a "Install Fallout" shortcut added, which just runs a wget/curl off of gog.com and runs the executable.

The point being that I have learned from Steam that I am terrible at getting around to games if I don't have them right in front of my face with a minimum of clicks to get to play.

The very best may have been if both gog and Steam did something like that in the Windows "Game folder" (which could be considered neutral ground), the key is just that I would prefer to have a unified and automatically maintained list of the stuff I actually own.

That is really, really lazy and not in a cool or good way.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I think he's just saying he wants his games in a unified list, which is ostensibly the purpose of the Windows "Games Explorer." GoG games place shortcuts there, but Steam doesn't as far as I know.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man this is turning into a lengthy explanation of a rather simple note about what I like in usability. What I would personally like to have is a way to get a list of all the digital download games that I own, whether installed or not. I own games in a couple of different places, and am notoriously lazy, leading me to favor one place over another purely on convenience of access.

Since Steam is pretty locked down and gog is reasonably open it is doable to make this happen for the Steam+gog combination by a simple utility which creates links for the game downloads on gog in the Steam list. I think it would be terrific if such a utility existed, since I could install Steam, run the utility once (providing my gog login) and have it just populate the Steam game list appropriately. That is, just get links created to one-click download and install a gog game ("Install Fallout from GoG"), and get the shortcut to the game itself added to the Steam game list when the process completes.

Now that I have explained what I happened to (perhaps deeply wrongly) want to have I promise never to mention it again. I somehow thought that spreading my game collections over more download services was troublesome to manage, but I have now learned that I am just horribly lazy.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Here's what I did. I made a folder on my desktop called "Games" and then I dragged the shortcuts in that folder.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Here's what I did. I made a folder on my desktop called "Games" and then I dragged the shortcuts in that folder.
Other things you did:
  • Not read my post.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I maintain a text file listing the games I own, organized by digital distribution service. Having to go to gog.com and download the installer manually isn't really that difficult.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Weedle posted:

Having to go to gog.com and download the installer manually isn't really that difficult.

Tell that to my sausage fingers!!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

I just keep a list of all sites I've purchased from in a bookmarks subfolder...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I use start shortcuts and desktop icons call me old fashioned or something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use PStart to gather games together into little anal-retentive lists:

pegtop.net/start

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I promised not to post about it again, but for brevity and clarity:

What I expressed a desire for is a unified list of games I own. Across services. Installed or not. Preferably with a convenient way to install them.

Weedle has the right idea, though I would prefer something more automatic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You're hosed. Stop being a lazy rear end.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I like how all of a sudden, wanting to be more organized is considered lazy. :confused:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, it has nothing to do with organization. poo poo, make an excel chart if you want to be organized. He is asking for something that doesn't exist. There is no super program that will list every single game he owns across the universe and have one click install.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Oh for fucks sake, I have no idea how this turned into this debate. The whole point of the original post was that I outlined how GoG, being unique in how open it is, actually makes it possible to fairly easily create exactly a tool to merge ones GoG game list into the Steam list. Seeing how I am apparently the only guy in the universe the least bit bothered by having my games all over the place I wont bother to actually make the tool, but it is still extremely doable. Can we please drop the lengthy debate on the many ways in which I am apparently wrong for wanting this now?

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 9, 2010

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Oh for fucks sake, I have no idea how this turned into this debate. The whole point of the original post was that I outlined how GoG, being unique in how open it is, actually makes it possible to fairly easily create exactly a tool to merge ones GoG game list into the Steam list. Seeing how I am apparently the only guy in the universe the least bit bothered by having my games all over the place I wont bother to actually make the tool now, but it is still extremely doable. Can we please drop the lengthy debate on the many ways in which I am apparently wrong for wanting this now?

There's someone on Mars with the same problem. Make the program.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
No now he's not going to because you made fun of him :colbert:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Oh for fucks sake, I have no idea how this turned into this debate. The whole point of the original post was that I outlined how GoG, being unique in how open it is, actually makes it possible to fairly easily create exactly a tool to merge ones GoG game list into the Steam list. Seeing how I am apparently the only guy in the universe the least bit bothered by having my games all over the place I wont bother to actually make the tool, but it is still extremely doable. Can we please drop the lengthy debate on the many ways in which I am apparently wrong for wanting this now?

I have no idea either. All you did was post an offhand comment about how it would be neat to have a utility to do that. Why the hell are people getting offended by this? I would use this utility if I had a lot of GoG games, but I've only got a couple.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Farquar posted:

I have no idea either. All you did was post an offhand comment about how it would be neat to have a utility to do that. Why the hell are people getting offended by this? I would use this utility if I had a lot of GoG games, but I've only got a couple.

but one day you may have more games so whose team are you on buddy you need to decide now

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

He is asking for something that doesn't exist.

OH GOD SOMEONE EXPRESSED A WISH FOR SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST BUT WOULD MAKE THEIR LIFE CONVENIENT TO EXIST.

OH GOD WHAT CAN WE DO.

Seriously, why is this argument still going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The Vista/7 "games folder" is supposed to be a list of all the games you own, but too bad it's a horrible piece of poo poo that doesn't remotely work the way it's supposed to and Microsoft will probably never bother fix.