Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

6 weeks is pretty young (we hope for 8-12 weeks here). That means he probably missed out on some socialization with mom & siblings-- which is to say, he missed the part where you learn how hard it's okay to bite. Your new kitty will teach him this in time, by yelping. It will probably still happen sometimes. It isn't a problem unless he's drawing blood or she starts exhibiting signs of stress (peeing in the wrong place, hiding in one place for a day or more and refusing to come out, not eating, etc.). You'd both do better to stay out of it and let them settle it. You guys yelping and stopping the fight is probably just confusing him- he isn't sure who he's hurting or how.

My cat is BFFs with my roommate's cat, and he really likes playing with her and tries to make her chase him, but even he sometimes yelps alarmingly when they play. She hasn't really decided to bite gentler yet :rolleyes: but it seems to be all right most of the time, and he's happy and still seeks her out for play.

Tldr, yelping and squalling isn't the end of the world. Let them sort it out and the kitten will learn to give as good as she gets, or Bruce will learn where the limits are in time.

Yeah, we got him from the Minnesota Humane Society and he was the last left of his litter. They fix their kitties real early as well - both had it done before we took it home. Emma, the new kitty, got to stay with her litter a little longer and was fostered for a few weeks by a vet tech at the facility. We will just keep them seperated during the day until she gets big enough to handle the rough playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Yeah, we got him from the Minnesota Humane Society and he was the last left of his litter. They fix their kitties real early as well - both had it done before we took it home. Emma, the new kitty, got to stay with her litter a little longer and was fostered for a few weeks by a vet tech at the facility. We will just keep them seperated during the day until she gets big enough to handle the rough playing.

Kittens are a lot tougher than we give them credit for. They can also be drama queens. When I brought Ęsa home, she would scream bloody murder if an adult cat just LOOKED at her funny. It's good to keep them separated and take it slow, but at some point you gotta just let the chips fall where they may.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

If it helps, my two cats are littermates and the best of buddies but they still bite each other when they play. One will yelp or get ornery if the other is playing a little too rough but they don't seem to mind biting outside of that.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My cat Khan is nearly a year old, and is declawed. The declaw was done at her spay, and was not with my knowledge nor consent: the boyrfriend at the time called the vet "on my behalf" and asked them to do it with her spay, but this is another story for another time.

My issue is, there is a growth coming out of one of her front, declawed toes. It is black, hard, and looks like a malformed claw is trying to grow back. I had no idea this was a possibility. I called the vet but couldn't get a definitive answer out of them. I have a day off in a week and a half where I can take her in, but if its an emergency or situation where she is uncomfortable I can call in sick.

Khan isn't limping or favoring that paw, although she won't let me touch either of her front paws since the surgery, otherwise I'd have a picture. Eating, playing, all her other behaviors are normal.

Is this common/normal? Or from a botched declaw job? Does this need to be removed ASAP? Is it likely causing her pain and she just isn't showing it?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Dienes posted:

My cat Khan is nearly a year old, and is declawed. The declaw was done at her spay, and was not with my knowledge nor consent: the boyrfriend at the time called the vet "on my behalf" and asked them to do it with her spay, but this is another story for another time.

My issue is, there is a growth coming out of one of her front, declawed toes. It is black, hard, and looks like a malformed claw is trying to grow back. I had no idea this was a possibility. I called the vet but couldn't get a definitive answer out of them. I have a day off in a week and a half where I can take her in, but if its an emergency or situation where she is uncomfortable I can call in sick.

Khan isn't limping or favoring that paw, although she won't let me touch either of her front paws since the surgery, otherwise I'd have a picture. Eating, playing, all her other behaviors are normal.

Is this common/normal? Or from a botched declaw job? Does this need to be removed ASAP? Is it likely causing her pain and she just isn't showing it?

Wow that's pretty retarded of your boyfriend. :\

Anyway, I googled around a bit. Apparently if the declaw is not done completely, claw tissue can continue to grow (albeit in a really hosed up way). It could be this or maybe some weird freaky infection. Either way, I'd get her in ASAP since it's undoubtedly a bad thing and almost certainly is painful. I'd try to take her to the same vet because if the claw is growing back, they hosed up the surgery and should be held responsible.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
*** Kitty Emergency ***

If you saw my previous post, our 10 month old cat was having a biting problem with our new 10 week old kitty. They fighting has increased over the last few days but when we came home today Bruce, the older cat, was completely lethargic. On closer inspection his right eye was dilated and his inner eyelid was "sticking" half way over his eye. He has since not improved, very slow moving and his one eye is still dilated. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

What is happening? I kind of feel it was possibly scratched during one of the fights but my girlfriend's Google-fu comes up with much bleaker scenarios.

Edit: Both eyes are doing it now and he just sits there with his paws over is face, not moving from his favorite spot in my computer chair.

Doc_Uzuki fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2010

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It probably doesn't have anything to do with the fighting (don't forget a lot of cat "fighting" is actually playing and/or sorting out hierarchy). He's probably very sick.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Doc_Uzuki posted:

*** Kitty Emergency ***

If you saw my previous post, our 10 month old cat was having a biting problem with our new 10 week old kitty. They fighting has increased over the last few days but when we came home today Bruce, the older cat, was completely lethargic. On closer inspection his right eye was dilated and his inner eyelid was "sticking" half way over his eye. He has since not improved, very slow moving and his one eye is still dilated. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

What is happening? I kind of feel it was possibly scratched during one of the fights but my girlfriend's Google-fu comes up with much bleaker scenarios.

Edit: Both eyes are doing it now and he just sits there with his paws over is face, not moving from his favorite spot in my computer chair.

Call an e-vet and describe his symptoms. They can tell you if it's something you need to see them NOW for or if it can wait till your appointment.

I doubt it has to do with the fighting.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Doc_Uzuki posted:

*** Kitty Emergency ***

:ohdear: I'd hit up the e-vet if I were you, that sounds really bad.

Augh, with all these terrible kitty emergencies everywhere I feel sort of bad for asking something so minor but . . . One of my kitties has lots of dry peeling skin on his pawpads. There's no cracking or bleeding or anything but it still looks like he has some very dry skin on his paws. It's a typical Wisconsin winter here right now which means lots of cold dry air, but we do have a humidifier so it shouldn't be crazy dry. Have you guys seen anything like that? Should I do something about it? If so, what?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

HondaCivet posted:

Augh, with all these terrible kitty emergencies everywhere I feel sort of bad for asking something so minor but . . . One of my kitties has lots of dry peeling skin on his pawpads. There's no cracking or bleeding or anything but it still looks like he has some very dry skin on his paws. It's a typical Wisconsin winter here right now which means lots of cold dry air, but we do have a humidifier so it shouldn't be crazy dry. Have you guys seen anything like that? Should I do something about it? If so, what?

This used to happen to my dog growing up - my mom put jojoba or coconut oil on her paws when it happened and it worked really well. (Does wonders for human skin and hair, too!)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Goreld posted:

When he bites you, one thing you can do is cram your hand farther into his mouth until he's forced to disengage.

When my little bastard bites now I tickle his tongue or the roof of his mouse, he hates it, and actually seems to be learning his lesson now.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
Vet says that Bruce essentially has pink eye. He is on medication now.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

chippy posted:

When my little bastard bites now I tickle his tongue or the roof of his mouse, he hates it, and actually seems to be learning his lesson now.

This Freudian slip made my evening.

A quick question for the locals:

I think my cat has ear mites, she's an indoor-only kitty and we live high up in an apartment complex so she has pretty much zero contact with anything even remotely related to the outdoors. How did she pick up parasites?

Also, if I get her an OTC miticide, can I swab the extra cerumen out of her one ear safely, or is that a vet-only kinda treatment?

hgdjhdguid
Mar 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Lonely cat?

Capone (I didn't name her) was my girlfriend's cat. She came to live with me after she moved. She's been with me about a month and has started to act strangely: she'll walk to an empty corner, meow a few times, then dash upstairs. Later she'll come back into the computer room and meow. Sounds like she wants attention, right? but she has little interest in strings or the laserlight, and I can only pet her for so long. And once the attention stops, she's meowing again. Her poop looks & smells normal and her appetite is fine (Iams meaty kibble, no grains/corn syrup, sometimes catches a housemouse). I'm worried for her: she seems lonely. Would another cat make things better or worse? Is there anything I could do to make her easy? Other than the constant need for attention, she's a wonderful cat: purrs whenever touched, happy to see me in the morning, never bites or scratches and all that

other details: seems to be between 4-6, middle-aged. Last vet visit was over a year ago but has no tics, scratches or anything noticeable. Has been an inside cat for the last 4+ years. Spayed and has no front claws (she was a stray before gf brought her in -- I'd never amputate). Also, it doesn't matter because I love her anyway, but does anyone have a guess to her breed?

hgdjhdguid fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 5, 2010

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Stew Man Chew posted:

I think my cat has ear mites, she's an indoor-only kitty and we live high up in an apartment complex so she has pretty much zero contact with anything even remotely related to the outdoors. How did she pick up parasites?

Also, if I get her an OTC miticide, can I swab the extra cerumen out of her one ear safely, or is that a vet-only kinda treatment?
Your cat should go to the vet because there's no way to tell the difference between ear mites and ear infection with the naked eye with absolute certainty. If she's indoor-only and it's just one ear, I'm leaning towards infection.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

hgdjhdguid posted:

Lonely cat?

Capone (I didn't name her) was my girlfriend's cat. She came to live with me after she moved. She's been with me about a month and has started to act strangely: she'll walk to an empty corner, meow a few times, then dash upstairs. Later she'll come back into the computer room and meow. Sounds like she wants attention, right? but she has little interest in strings or the laserlight, and I can only pet her for so long. And once the attention stops, she's meowing again. Her poop looks & smells normal and her appetite is fine (Iams meaty kibble, no grains/corn syrup, sometimes catches a housemouse). I'm worried for her: she seems lonely. Would another cat make things better or worse? Is there anything I could do to make her easy? Other than the constant need for attention, she's a wonderful cat: purrs whenever touched, happy to see me in the morning, never bites or scratches and all that

other details: seems to be between 4-6, middle-aged. Last vet visit was over a year ago but has no tics, scratches or anything noticeable. Has been an inside cat for the last 4+ years. Spayed and has no front claws (she was a stray before gf brought her in -- I'd never amputate). Also, it doesn't matter because I love her anyway, but does anyone have a guess to her breed?

If she doesn't like any of her toys, I'd highly recommend trying Da Bird or any other thing-on-a-string-on-a-stick toy. Virtually no cat can resist them and it's pretty easy to tire out a cat quickly with one.

Getting another cat is worth considering. Do you know if she's ever been around any other cats? Some cats just really hate other cats and want to only be around people, so if she's one of those you definitely don't want to introduce a "friend." If you're not sure or if she's gotten along with other cats in the past then it might be worth a shot. If you go for it, just make sure the introduction is good and proper and slow. The second part of the OP has a good explanation of what to do. Also, you should probably get her to the vet for her annual checkup before you do this just in case she has anything going on that could be passed to the other cat or increase the stress of having a new cat around.

She looks like a mutt to me. Maybe a little Maine Coon several generations back? Breed isn't important in cats like it is in dogs so don't worry if you don't know.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

edit: nothing to see here, move along.

wrong thread sorry guys

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 8, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I need a toy suggestion . . . One of my cats loves to chew on poo poo, most often stringy and/or plastic things. Can you guys think of any small toys that would be good/enjoyable for him to chew on?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HondaCivet posted:

I need a toy suggestion . . . One of my cats loves to chew on poo poo, most often stringy and/or plastic things. Can you guys think of any small toys that would be good/enjoyable for him to chew on?

Our cat is a HUGE chewer, and the Discount Pet Center near us has freeze-dried dog treats by the counter. I wish I could remember the brand, but its stuff like goat, beef, and chicken around sweet potato and other cat/dog friendly veggies. They aren't too hard for her, like rawhide is, and its no big deal if she swallows any, like a cloth toy. Khan positively loves them.

funkawilikus
Jul 23, 2007
I typed a long post but deleted by accident. The short(er) version:

My two-year-old male cat, Momo, is pissing everywhere, including on my bed when I'm in it. He has a good diet, gets exercise, attention (I'm home a lot), and I keep his litter box immaculate.

I don't know what to do. Today I tried taking the cover off his litter box (he's real big) but I don't know if that will help.

I can't make it to the vet unless it's a real emergency till the weekend, most likely. As for now it seems that my washing machine has broken from the near 24/7 washing of linens, futons and cushions and I have only a few sheets left for the week...it's only Tuesday :(

My only other idea: There is construction going on in the building, which seems to bother him, but I can't do much about that. Already scanned a few threads and don't see what the problem could be or what I can do about it.

One more thing: I have a studio apartment but CAN move him into the kitchen or bathroom when gone, but the little guy will take a piss right in front of me when I come home and let him into the living room anyway. He seems otherwise very healthy. He is neutered, of course.

Does this seem like a behavioral or medical problem? Is it a phase? Other advice? Thanks in advance.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

funkawilikus posted:

Does this seem like a behavioral or medical problem? Is it a phase? Other advice? Thanks in advance.

Oftentimes peeing everywhere is a sign of disease, so if it's come on suddenly you should take him to the vet to get checked out.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Seconding this, if he's not usually like this then there's a fair chance he's ill, either that or really freaked out by the building work.

edit: You haven't changed his litter or anything like that have you? Is he still making GBS threads where he should?

funkawilikus
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks guys. I did change litter, but months ago. He still shits in the right place. I'll let you know how it pans out if it's anything interesting.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My cat is 4 years old, and I've had her for about two weeks now. One thing she loves to do is get on my lap, and start kneading like crazy and nuzzling me. Is this some sort of nursing reflex? Is it an affection thing or should I worry about it?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Chin Strap posted:

My cat is 4 years old, and I've had her for about two weeks now. One thing she loves to do is get on my lap, and start kneading like crazy and nuzzling me. Is this some sort of nursing reflex? Is it an affection thing or should I worry about it?

It means she loves you and trusts you and you should pet her. Congrats, she sounds awesome.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

It's just a silly happy cat thing, don't worry about it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Chin Strap posted:

That sounds like the beginnings of a very serious illness, you should probably save yourself the trouble and just put her down now. :colbert:

But seriously, cats CAN be affectionate, in spite of what a lot of people like to think. Some cats just show it in weirder ways than others. For instance, my cats show me their love by sleeping on my face and trying to sit on my computer.

Soup!
Sep 14, 2003
N\A
My cat loves being petted but absolutely hates being brushed. This is a problem for me because she sheds so much. I've tried almost every comb out there including a mitt. I try to make the experience as pleasant as possible and use no pressure while brushing. The funny thing is as soon as I put down the brush she jumps back on my lap and begs to be petted. Also, she's not food motivated at all.
Any ideas PI?

Soup! fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 10, 2010

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Soup! posted:

My cat loves being petted but absolutely hates being brushed. This is a problem for me because she sheds so much. I've tried almost every comb out there including a mitt. I try to make the experience as pleasant as possible and use no pressure while brushing. The funny thing is as soon as I put down the brush she jumps back on my lap and begs to be petted. Also, she's not food motivated at all.
Any ideas PI?

If she'd start using something like this on her own, you might be able to step from there into a soft currycomb: http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=9761

Rockets
Nov 8, 2003
Fitness is rocket science :smith:

Chin Strap posted:

My cat does this too. And he loves to lick my arms when I'm wearing a knitted sweater, like he's grooming me. It's so cute :keke:. I consider the kneading a free kitty massage.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Soup! posted:

Any ideas PI?

Just wondering what you feed her? My cat shed horribly before I changed his food to a better brand. Now it's very moderate and I can actually enjoy petting him and not have my hand covered in cat hair.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
We use the tidy-cat breeze litter system with those odor repellent pellets. And the urine pad below. We have a hard time finding replacement pellets and the pads aren't too hard to find. I think the pellets are clay, and they don't absorb urine or clump the fecal matter. Well we'd like to try and switch to the newspaper ones, or maybe the generic clay type that is available at local pet stores. But if the smell is greater than it is now we probably couldn't handle it since we keep one box in the office and one in the master bath area. Are there any other odor items that can help in conjunction with the new pellets or do the new pellets work fine?

The pellets we use now we change once a month while the pads once a week (as per instructions) how would it alter under a new system.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kerfuffle posted:

Just wondering what you feed her? My cat shed horribly before I changed his food to a better brand. Now it's very moderate and I can actually enjoy petting him and not have my hand covered in cat hair.

This. If her diet isn't very good, a change in food might help quite a bit. It won't make her stop shedding entirely but it could make it much less of a problem.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My cats, a shorthair and a longhair, both shed like crazy and they're on EVO or Merrick BG.

Soup!
Sep 14, 2003
N\A

Engineer Lenk posted:

If she'd start using something like this on her own, you might be able to step from there into a soft currycomb: http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=9761

Thanks, I placed an order. Hopefully she'll like this.

quote:

She's currently on the blue buffalo kitten formula and EVO is hard to find here.

Soup! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 10, 2010

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Lillehammer hates the ZoomGroom, whichs sucks because so far it's the only affordable tool that gets her undercoat out. She just gets mad and runs away after I use it on her. Same goes for slicker brushes, she'll let me use a flea comb and that's it so far. Soft bristle brushes don't pick up any hair, and she's spooked by the static that comes with them, either.

What works on a double-coated cat that won't piss her off? Might have to shell out for the Furminator. :sigh:

Strelnikov
Jul 25, 2004
I want to compose and decompose.
My siamese cat Miso pees outside the box in kind of a strange way. He goes inside the box and starts peeing, then walks out of the box while still going, spraying pee behind him all over the front of the box and the wall. He developed this habit in the past couple weeks.

We have two litterboxes (used to have three; took away the uncovered one because he'd miss it entirely and spray pee all over the wall behind the box). We clean them at least once a day, and if I see a cat using the box I'll clean it right away. One box has Feline Pine Scoop, the other we recently changed to World's Best just in case he was doing this because he hated the Feline Pine. He doesn't really seem to show a preference for either box, he poos normally and sprays pee all over the place no matter what box he's using.

He's fixed btw -- we had him neutered right after we got him, when he was around 6 or 7 months. In the couple weeks before his neuter, he never sprayed or peed inappropriately. We did just move to a new apartment, but we've lived here a couple months already and he's only recently started peeing like this. Is this normal peeing or is he marking? Or is it a signal that something is wrong and he should go to the vet?

Here's a picture of him and our other cat. They aren't exactly best friends, but they don't have serious fights and they have always shared litterboxes before without problems.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Strelnikov posted:

My siamese cat Miso pees outside the box in kind of a strange way. He goes inside the box and starts peeing, then walks out of the box while still going, spraying pee behind him all over the front of the box and the wall. He developed this habit in the past couple weeks.

We have two litterboxes (used to have three; took away the uncovered one because he'd miss it entirely and spray pee all over the wall behind the box). We clean them at least once a day, and if I see a cat using the box I'll clean it right away. One box has Feline Pine Scoop, the other we recently changed to World's Best just in case he was doing this because he hated the Feline Pine. He doesn't really seem to show a preference for either box, he poos normally and sprays pee all over the place no matter what box he's using.

He's fixed btw -- we had him neutered right after we got him, when he was around 6 or 7 months. In the couple weeks before his neuter, he never sprayed or peed inappropriately. We did just move to a new apartment, but we've lived here a couple months already and he's only recently started peeing like this. Is this normal peeing or is he marking? Or is it a signal that something is wrong and he should go to the vet?

Here's a picture of him and our other cat. They aren't exactly best friends, but they don't have serious fights and they have always shared litterboxes before without problems.

It doesn't sound like spraying. Especially since it started pretty suddenly, I'd get him to the vet.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Seconding the vet. Any time changes in peeing behavior happen pretty suddenly, it's time to take the beasties in. It could be nothing, or it could be that you've caught something potentially serious fairly early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Can someone tell me how to stop my 4 month old cat franklin from being an absolute terror? He's been pretty spunky ever since we got him, and we love him to death. He gets along great with our other cat, but he's been getting out of hand lately. We've started having to close the door to our bedroom because at night he will bite and chew on our older dogs face, which gets him pretty pissed off when he's trying to sleep, but he's a golden and wont do anything but growl, which has no effect on frankie at all. But because he's a cat you don't refuse, he will sit there and scratch, and scratch, and scratch, ALL night at the door wanting in. He will scream like he's being killed, scratch with both paws. We've tried hitting the bottom of the door with our hands, yelling no, spraying him with a spray bottle.

We've recently tried just letting him in for the night for a few weeks to see if he would get over it, but he's started crawling all over the bedroom, knocking my speakers for my computer over, ripping at the blinds, going under our bed and clawing the poo poo out of the under sheet, trying to play with the dog. We're out of idea of things to do. We haven't slept a full night in weeks. We're basically going to start locking him in the basement for the night with a litter box and our other super chill cat, but that's a last resort. He's got the full run of our pretty big house and our other cat to play with, why does he need to be in our room or die trying?

I'd basically just be happy if we could stop him clawing at the door at night and coming in and keeping us up, he's pretty awesome other than that. Do Sss cats work?