Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My Ambush Alley books finally arrived. Seems the first ones they sent me got lost in the mail, so they sent me another set. Great customer service.

Serotonin posted:

Not a tutorial as such, but this is my 10mm US armour division.

I basically used Vallejo Brown Violet, which was drybrushed up with Foundry Moss Shade and Foundry Moss highlight, then washed with devlan mud and then a very light drybrush of the moss highlight again.

http://serotonins.blogspot.com/search/label/Americans

Click here for the full 1200x564 image.

Those look great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Devlan Mud posted:

Here's one I'm kinda fond of
This article really irritates me. The mud splashes are only right if the tank was driving in reverse.....

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whomever told me to get Fortress Europe, thanks! It was exactly what I was looking for.

The Gepanzerte Panzergrendierkompany is the force I was looking for. Just need some more infantry and half tracks for them. Probably support them with from Panzer IVs and the Stugs I got from the starter set.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I now have a whole truck load green drab Airborne! I am starting by painting up my shermans; you can make them look pretty decent with minimal effort.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

This article really irritates me. The mud splashes are only right if the tank was driving in reverse.....

Well, that would be perfect for Italy! :v:

SpinyNorman867
Jan 5, 2006
".....Dinsdale?"
If I have the grenadiers from the Festungskompanie box, can I later upgrade them to panzergrenadiers just by adding the necessary trucks or halftracks? Are panzergrenadier models different and non-interchangeable? They seem to be equipped more or less the same.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

SpinyNorman867 posted:

If I have the grenadiers from the Festungskompanie box, can I later upgrade them to panzergrenadiers just by adding the necessary trucks or halftracks? Are panzergrenadier models different and non-interchangeable? They seem to be equipped more or less the same.

The only real difference (I think) is going to be the piping on their shoulders, so you should probably be okay.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the only real reason they made different panzergrenadier models is so that you can have more variety in your units. After a while it gets a bit odd to see the same three poses of HMG in an army.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Other than the colour of the piping on the shoulders the panzergrenadiers should have a MG model on each base instead of one MG per two. They are classed as MG teams (rof 3) instead of being Rifle/MG teams (rof 2).

Most people wouldn't care that your piping is wrong or count the number of MGs on your bases. Just let your opponent know before than game that they are panzergrenadiers. The Halftracks should give it away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

Other than the colour of the piping on the shoulders the panzergrenadiers should have a MG model on each base instead of one MG per two. They are classed as MG teams (rof 3) instead of being Rifle/MG teams (rof 2).

Most people wouldn't care that your piping is wrong or count the number of MGs on your bases. Just let your opponent know before than game that they are panzergrenadiers. The Halftracks should give it away.
He's using the Festungskompanie box, so he can field them as MG or Rifle/MG teams depending on which regiment of the various infantry divisions were in the area at D-day.

You're right though, most people will just trust you on what they are.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hey guys, we have our own website, but let's just hotlink to photobucket anyway!

On related news, the last of my Soviets arrive today, so expect some pics of them unpainted but based and lined up like a huge hoard of communists.

SpinyNorman867
Jan 5, 2006
".....Dinsdale?"
Thanks for the feedback! I started to order the Festungskompanie box, but canceled when I found out shipping was going to cost me 45 bucks. The Warstore is sold out after having it on clearance for $36, which is a huge bummer. I eventually wound up ordering two panzergren boxed sets plus the command. The Warstore still has the old airborne rifle company on clearance, so I picked that up too. It seems like absolutely killer value. If I'm adding points up from the D-1 book correctly, the old boxed set plus the Sherman tanks from Open Fire should total up to about 1500 points.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lord Commissar posted:

Hey guys, we have our own website, but let's just hotlink to photobucket anyway!

On related news, the last of my Soviets arrive today, so expect some pics of them unpainted but based and lined up like a huge hoard of communists.

They really have the worst loving website. I never even use it when I'm ordering stuff for people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

S.J. posted:

They really have the worst loving website. I never even use it when I'm ordering stuff for people.

I wouldn't say "worst", especially as far as miniature manufacturers go. At least they have pictures of their stuff, and many of them are linked to articles about the minis themselves.

I just thought this was funny.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lord Commissar posted:

I wouldn't say "worst", especially as far as miniature manufacturers go. At least they have pictures of their stuff, and many of them are linked to articles about the minis themselves.

I just thought this was funny.

FoW homesite is loving space age rocket engineering programing compared to Museum miniatures and Irregular miniatures. And I'm pretty sure there's far worse examples that I have managed to forget through heavy drinking after browsing them.

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/

http://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/ (Dave's super nice if you contact him for orders though, so I wouldn't talk poo poo about his company. It's just that his site is pretty bad)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 8, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

Horde of communists, you say?

1 Mi-24 Hind, 5 more BTR-70s, some infantry and a BM-21 and then I'm done and can start on my British. Then when they're done, some mujihadeen.

Also, trying to straighten out soft metal gun barrels is going to drive me insane.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

1500 points of Soviet horde!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Святейшая гречиха!

That's why I was seriously thinking of starting Russians, just have a massive number of guys, but then I realized how much that would cost.

Though for my Mechanized Company, I'm trying to figure out what to get. It's probably best if I just pick up GBX09 Panzergrenadier Platoon and GBX17 Panzergrenadier Company HQ, plus some half tracks for the infantry I already have. At least that's what It looks like.

I'm not going to screw myself if I take every mobile, and not take any field guns am I?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It wasn't that expensive, really. Not compared to 40k, at any rate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Commissar posted:

It wasn't that expensive, really. Not compared to 40k, at any rate.

It's about the same for me really. Though I'm not sure how much the 75mm halftracks are going to cost me in Canadian $.

Maybe I should just save my money and get the big set. I think I saw a mech company one for about $230 or so.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

It's about the same for me really. Though I'm not sure how much the 75mm halftracks are going to cost me in Canadian $.

Maybe I should just save my money and get the big set. I think I saw a mech company one for about $230 or so.

I just meant, if you compared it to a similar-sized force. I know how much I spent on my 225-model IG army, compared to this (which has 373), and this was cheaper.

It's not exactly apples-to-apples, though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Commissar posted:

I just meant, if you compared it to a similar-sized force. I know how much I spent on my 225-model IG army, compared to this (which has 373), and this was cheaper.

It's not exactly apples-to-apples, though.

Yeah... I'd equate one IG dude to one base of standard infantry, model-wise (I know the points don't come out to be the same, but still).

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I couldn't even stand working on my paratrooper army for more than like 20 minutes at a time, I can't imagine what it's going to be like basing/painting that many guys

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

S.J. posted:

Yeah... I'd equate one IG dude to one base of standard infantry, model-wise (I know the points don't come out to be the same, but still).
It's more like a marine to a base of infantry really, there's not that many bases in an army. My 1k points of Germans has about 20 IIRC.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

FirstCongoWar posted:

I couldn't even stand working on my paratrooper army for more than like 20 minutes at a time, I can't imagine what it's going to be like basing/painting that many guys

Well, I have no real plans to make them look museum-quality or anything. I'm gonna spray them for a basecoat.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Right now I'm looking at them thinking which colour is better, Camo Green or Chardonite Granite.

I've studied a lot of German uniforms, and their colours do change from era and front.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Any of you ordering straight from the FoW site? I ordered a few platoons to get started and Fortress Europe, just wondering what kind of time frame I'm looking at 'till they show up (I'm extremely impatient).

e: Also, holy goddamn Lord Commisar! How exactly do formations work for the soviets? I know US/UK/Germany have a few platoons at 30-40 guys a piece for a company, but thats, what, 250 guys alone in the centre? Soviet horde indeed!

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 10, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Basically Soviets up the term used to refer to a unit by one step of the TO&E chart. Squads are Platoons, Platoons are Companies, Companies are Batallions. It's pretty interesting to see the insane hordes of troops that can fit onto a table when a Soviet army goes all-out conscript rush.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Along with what Arq said:

I have 3 companies. 2 have 3 platoons, the last only has 2. Each platoon has 31 troops. So that's 248, plus 3 company command bases, 3 commissar bases, and 3 HMG bases. That brings the total to 272.

Just in pure infantry. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Here's my "proof of concept" first stab at 6mm samurai. I went with basing them for DBA or FoG, but they should work for Killer Katanas 2 too. A funny thing to note is that Shogun: Total War was based on Killer Katanas, and these small miniatures sure resembles the tiny sprites of the early Total War games. I could have squeezed in 16 samurai on each base, but I think even 14 looks very crowded for a 15mm depth base. Might have even less per base on less hardcore units.

Almost done with my 6mm samurai, I only have to finish the bases. I can't decide whether to try with ordinary static grass or if I should order something smaller for them. Since it is sort of a proof of concept thing I went with two different colours, but both of them from the Takeda armies:

Red guys, representing units of Amari Torayasu.

Green guys, representing units of Takeda Katsuyori, the sorry man who lost against Nobunaga at Nagashino.

All of them. I must say that they look pretty good, and this is just 6 bases of them. There were about 12 guys left after basing that I'll save for retainers to put on cavalry bases, since Japanese cavalry fought in mixed formations of both riders and foot soldiers.

SpinyNorman867
Jan 5, 2006
".....Dinsdale?"

lilljonas posted:

Samurai

Nicely done! I think the bases have just the right amount of crowding; it gives them a vibrant or busy feel.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

New Black Powder FAQ: http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/neo/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BP-FAQ_1st_Feb_2010.pdf

Not sure it was really necessary, but there you go.

Also, an interview with Rick Priestly about it: http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=4695

EDIT:

quote:

Rick: Well I have just helped finish the second edition Warhammer Ancient Battles manuscript. Martin Gibbins has done a very thorough job of bringing the game up to date and all I can say is I don’t think current WAB players will be disappointed! To be honest though Warhammer Historical is more ‘hobby’ than ‘work’. Work is a different think altogether. Speaking of which… I’d better get on with it – plenty of toilets to clean, bins to empty, now where did I leave my mop…?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 10, 2010

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

It's more like a marine to a base of infantry really, there's not that many bases in an army. My 1k points of Germans has about 20 IIRC.

Oh I understand that, I just meant like... the amount of effort needed to get the model/base ready for gaming.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

Samurai!

Nicely done mate. How did you find painting them- was it as bad as you thought?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Nicely done mate. How did you find painting them- was it as bad as you thought?

It was really easy actually, with the only really difficult part being the back banners. The areas you paint are usually just require a dot of paint and then you move on. I followed that up with a single highlight for each colour that was even faster, like mere seconds per model. So it was pretty simple, but the ultimate example of batch painting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

S.J. posted:

Oh I understand that, I just meant like... the amount of effort needed to get the model/base ready for gaming.
I find that I tend to get a base fully painted and the static grass glued on in about ten minutes. I'm doing a simple one-colour, drybrush the pollyfilla/spackle basing job but it looks decent at this scale and all I'm aiming for is tabletop quality. There's a mostly finished command base hiding behind these ratlings to give you an idea of how lazy you can be with these and still have them looking awesome as an army.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Are you basing the little samurai guys by covering the base in spackle then pressing the figures into it?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

It was really easy actually, with the only really difficult part being the back banners. The areas you paint are usually just require a dot of paint and then you move on. I followed that up with a single highlight for each colour that was even faster, like mere seconds per model. So it was pretty simple, but the ultimate example of batch painting.

Yeah it is easy. Thats what I try and tell everyone about 6mm, but most people wont beleive me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are you basing the little samurai guys by covering the base in spackle then pressing the figures into it?

They come on strips of four, and the strips are actually kind of thick. I cut the strip so that each one stands on a little square, pour on a bunch of PVA on the base, and then position the models on the base. The problem then was that the thick pieces of strip were very visible, so I took some green stuff and evened it out around the corners. You can still see the empty space between the squares inside the unit if you look closely, but it's pretty much impossible to see from even a short distance. So good enough for me.

Not that you mention it, just pushing them down into a layer of spackle sounds much better and easier too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Not that you mention it, just pushing them down into a layer of spackle sounds much better and easier too.

I've got something like a hundred 6mm infantry to base so am going to be experimenting!