Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it Microsofts fault or do games need to be programmed to throw a shortcut in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Is it Microsofts fault or do games need to be programmed to throw a shortcut in there?
I don't know all the details, but what I've seen so far leads me to blame Microsoft. For one thing, all of its data is built into the registry so there's no sane way for a user to edit it. It also will put games on the list automatically, and has several times added games which I don't own, or it will add a game twice. It has automatically detected several steam games I own and added them, but it throws an error if I try to launch them. If I add steam games manually it won't give them correct icons. If I drag and drop spelunky.exe into the window it doesn't create a shortcut, it makes a copy of the file (which then can't run without its other files). A huge number of my games have been placed in an "unspecified" section of the window. Windows' documentation never explains what that means, and I'm unable to launch, edit, or remove them. Basically the entire thing is broken to the point of being unusable and if I was a higher up at Microsoft I wouldn't have allowed such a terrible (and ultimately superfluous) feature to be added.

But all of this has nothing to do with Good Old Games!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I think it's probably a standards thing... which is also why different games save their user data in a dozen different places. I think at one point, the Games For Windows stamp of approval required games to save user data in My Documents... but it didn't specify exactly where. Consequently, you'd have some games saving to a folder right in the middle of My Documents, others would actually be nice and save in My Documents/My Games/, but then some would be complete douches and save in something like My Documents/[PublisherName]/[DeveloperName]/[GameName]/

Couple that with the fact that there's still a number of games that save in their install directory and it's no wonder that whenever I wipe my HD I end up never going back go games I was in the middle of. I always forget something.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm curious, has anyone ever run across a game that actually stores save data in the Saved Games folder in Vista/7? I own close to 200 PC games and I have never, ever seen one that actually uses that folder. It's the one thing that's consistent across the board.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's not entirely MS' fault, I just installed Red Faction Guerilla from D2D and it wouldn't let me install it wherever I wanted. Retarded.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Essobie posted:

I think it's probably a standards thing... which is also why different games save their user data in a dozen different places. I think at one point, the Games For Windows stamp of approval required games to save user data in My Documents... but it didn't specify exactly where. Consequently, you'd have some games saving to a folder right in the middle of My Documents, others would actually be nice and save in My Documents/My Games/, but then some would be complete douches and save in something like My Documents/[PublisherName]/[DeveloperName]/[GameName]/

Couple that with the fact that there's still a number of games that save in their install directory and it's no wonder that whenever I wipe my HD I end up never going back go games I was in the middle of. I always forget something.

BioWare/EA does this poo poo and I hate it. It took me 20 minutes to find out where the Dragon Age saves were because I normally don't store things in owner/documents/company name.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not entirely MS' fault, I just installed Red Faction Guerilla from D2D and it wouldn't let me install it wherever I wanted. Retarded.
Only pirates need custom directories.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Dead Space is the worst for obnoxious saving locations: It creates both Documents/Electronic Arts/Dead Space AND Documents/Electrontic Arts/Dead Space for separate things.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

teethgrinder posted:

Or more commonly, people with multiple hard drives. My C: drive filled up long ago.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Is there any chance they'll get the Gangsters: Organized Crime games? I'm looking at Mob Rule and it just isn't the same :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teethgrinder posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Thompsons posted:

Is there any chance they'll get the Gangsters: Organized Crime games? I'm looking at Mob Rule and it just isn't the same :(

Moby Games says they were published by Eidos, so GoG would need to get them on board first. It's possible, but even if Eidos shows up, there might be further rights issues to deal with.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Weedle posted:

I'm curious, has anyone ever run across a game that actually stores save data in the Saved Games folder in Vista/7? I own close to 200 PC games and I have never, ever seen one that actually uses that folder. It's the one thing that's consistent across the board.
The Sacred 2 demo did for me, apparently. :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

quick question. I just bought a game off of GOG and I got a screen for Mastercard Securecard that was supposely sponsered by my bank. I didn't do it. Just wondering if anyone else saw that and if its legit, or if someone was trying to scam me.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BigRed0427 posted:

quick question. I just bought a game off of GOG and I got a screen for Mastercard Securecard that was supposely sponsered by my bank. I didn't do it. Just wondering if anyone else saw that and if its legit, or if someone was trying to scam me.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

I picked up Red Faction Guerrilla during the $5 sale on Direct2Drive, and I was able to choose the install directory just fine.
It's installed to 'D:\D2D\RFG' on my computer, which was the directory I picked for it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Weedle posted:

Looking at there, apparently Halo 2 and Tom Clancy's HAWX do.

edit: Except, apparently only HAWX actually has the saves there.

Halo 2 on the other hand, creates four separate folders all around the place, in addition to the actual program folder:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Halo 2 <-- this is where the actual saved games appear to be
C:\Users\[user]\Saved Games\Halo 2
C:\Users\[user]\Documents\My Games\Halo 2
C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Game Studios\Halo2

That I could call obnoxious cluttering.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 10, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

It's the "Verified by Visa" check. I always get it too and no scams so far.

edit: Or the MasterCard equivalent, of course.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 10, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I just installed Red Faction Guerilla from D2D and it wouldn't let me install it wherever I wanted. Retarded.

I managed to install it on D: just fine.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Worst one in recent history is Star Trek Online, the whole loving game seems to install in c:\users\public\ *wtf*

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Ansob. posted:

I managed to install it on D: just fine.

Goddamn internet, I read this and thought you installed it on "unhappy face."

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

glug posted:

Worst one in recent history is Star Trek Online, the whole loving game seems to install in c:\users\public\ *wtf*
Same reason WoW does: To be able to patch without administrator access

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Do any of you guys have combat tips for Realms of Arkania 1+2? I bought them when they just came out and played the first one for a bit, but the fighting seemed incredibly boring and I didn't know what to do with my mages.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Hobo posted:

I picked up Red Faction Guerrilla during the $5 sale on Direct2Drive, and I was able to choose the install directory just fine.
It's installed to 'D:\D2D\RFG' on my computer, which was the directory I picked for it.

I wonder what the hell I did wrong, I installed, uninstalled, then reinstalled again just to make sure. In any case, I moved the directory and it works fine anyway.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Kikkoman posted:

Do any of you guys have combat tips for Realms of Arkania 1+2? I bought them when they just came out and played the first one for a bit, but the fighting seemed incredibly boring and I didn't know what to do with my mages.

You might also get a good response from the gog forums too. They are super helpful

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Weedle posted:

Risen does which surprised the hell out of me considering what kind of title it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kikkoman posted:

What specifically do you need help on? Do your mages actually know any spells?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

I wonder what the hell I did wrong, I installed, uninstalled, then reinstalled again just to make sure. In any case, I moved the directory and it works fine anyway.

I know with a couple of games, you have to choose "customize install options" to be able to even choose where the game is installed. In fact, some games that's the only thing you can customize.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/space_quest_4_5_6

Space quest 4, 5 and 6 are all up for $9.99

Patiently waiting for a non-adventure game. :colbert:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Phantasmagoria is out too for $9.99

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

slidebite posted:

Patiently waiting for a non-adventure game. :colbert:

You'll have to wait a little longer because they just released Phantasmagoria as well, also at $9.99. :v:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

slidebite posted:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/space_quest_4_5_6

Space quest 4, 5 and 6 are all up for $9.99
Wouldn't you be better off buying the Space Quest Collection for Windows XP that has 6 Space Quest games? It's $15 at Amazon.

As for Phantasmagoria, that was a surprise. That was pretty drat controversial at the time due to the rape scene. The sequel even had somebody saying "gently caress" a couple of times which was A Big Goddamned Deal in the mid 1990s. Plus it had two guys nearly kissing which was Also A Big Goddamned Deal in the mid 1990s.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

tonelok posted:

As for Phantasmagoria, that was a surprise. That was pretty drat controversial at the time due to the rape scene. The sequel even had somebody saying "gently caress" a couple of times which was A Big Goddamned Deal in the mid 1990s. Plus it had two guys nearly kissing which was Also A Big Goddamned Deal in the mid 1990s.

lovely games though...buy it for the funny FMV and bad acting.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

MrMidnight posted:

lovely games though...buy it for the funny FMV and bad acting.
It was revolutionary at the time :colbert:

That actress never acted again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

tonelok posted:

Best news I've heard all day.

e:
"I haven't acted since, some would say I didn't act during, but er,... those would be unkind people. I did my best."

extra e:
"She couldn't actually interact with, you know, with another actor. I've never seen that before, and I've never seen that since. But I've just seen the FMVs, and it looks okay, though."

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 11, 2010

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

tonelok posted:

It was revolutionary at the time :colbert:

Oh sure I understand that. When I was younger I was a big Sierra guy. I would have to say though Phantasmagoria was the beginning of the end. The second Gabriel Knight game did this style of game the best IMHO.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

tonelok posted:

Wouldn't you be better off buying the Space Quest Collection for Windows XP that has 6 Space Quest games? It's $15 at Amazon.

Or just get all six games on Steam.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

tonelok posted:

That's only true if you assume all spacequest games are worth the same amount of money, and it's still pretty close anyway.

But wasn't the first space-quest like, 4 colors or something? I played most of them and I do play old games but even I don't think I could go back and play 1 ever again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Swamp Zero posted:

That's only true if you assume all spacequest games are worth the same amount of money, and it's still pretty close anyway.

But wasn't the first space-quest like, 4 colors or something? I played most of them and I do play old games but even I don't think I could go back and play 1 ever again.

Edit: Whoops wrong game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Doesn't look bad at all.

That's the VGA remake of SQ1; the original Space Quest looked like this: