Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Z3n posted:

I had a chance to ride an old (75?) CB400 I4 recently and it was loving awesome. Highly recommended. I haven't had a chance to ride one of the new ninjas, it's possible the top end is a little more neutered than it should be.

We never got the 250cc I4s. Probably because they cost only slightly less than a 600 when they came out.

I'd heard also that they had issues making them meet emissions standards and that it wasn't worth it for them after a point.

Kawasaki did import I4 ZX2Rs into Canada in the late 80s-early 90s, so if you can find one to buy up there and bring it back, you can still get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StroMotion
May 8, 2009
What's the deal on winterizing a pre-gen 250? I ask because I live in Virginia, and while it occasionally gets real cold, we'll also have randomly nice days that make me want to still go riding.

Can you still ride a winterized bike, or what?

I have clearly done absolutely no research on this, feel free to direct me to do so.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

StroMotion posted:

What's the deal on winterizing a pre-gen 250? I ask because I live in Virginia, and while it occasionally gets real cold, we'll also have randomly nice days that make me want to still go riding.

Can you still ride a winterized bike, or what?

I have clearly done absolutely no research on this, feel free to direct me to do so.

It depends on what you do to it as far as winterizing goes. If you're just putting sta-bil in the gas tank, new oil in the engine, putting the battery on a tender, and washing the bike before you put it away, then you can ride it at will by just disconnecting the tender/putting the battery back in.

Just be sure to clean up the bike again before you put it back away, since road grime/salt will corrode exposed metal bits sharpish.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ugh time to clean the carbs. She won't idle or run without the choke way way open. I've been out of commission for the past month with some unexpected health problems and it seems like my bike has suffered the worst. I didn't mean to leave you alone for weeks without any sort of prep little Ninja :(

Goddamn carbs.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Just picked up my 2010 Ninjette. The color looks just absolutely amazing in person.

Some of you may recognize the other bike as Cabledude's from the crash report thread.

Lancek fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 29, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Cablekid posted:

Just picked up my 2010 Ninjette. The color looks just absolutely amazing in person.

Some of you may recognize the other bike as Cabledude's from the crash report thread.

aaaagh i hate you. I was turned down on financing for a new bike (not enough credit history, sucks being young), or I would have one right now. But then I couldn't ride it because I can't afford the gear. But I guess a Corona wife beater and flip flops aren't too expensive...

I'm partial to red myself, haven't seen the blue in person though.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

I'm glad you didn't get more of my bike in that shot, it's all sorts of messed up right now since I've torn it apart :sigh:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I just looked at an '03 250 I am probably going to buy,. 2500 miles, 1100 dollars, runs fine, but has some rust spots on the muffler part below the fairing. Can I just clean this? How big a problem is this? Also the handlebars are slightly bent but I don't think it should matter at all. Everything else is fine, with a few scratches from a no speed drop

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You should be able to clean off the rust spots on the exhaust with a wirewheel, and then use BBQ spraypaint to cover it back up.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
So it should be a go then?
edit
It runs, it isn't messed up, everything looks Ok, its 1100, I don't see how I do better. I can resell it in 6 months for the same price I'm sure.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 30, 2009

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

So it should be a go then?

$1100 for an 03 250 with less than 3,000 miles? Absolutely. That price is so low that I might be a little nervous about its condition, especially considering it has slightly bent handlebars. Maybe I'm underestimating out of season prices or the drop in demand for the old style Ninjas now that the new sexy redesign is all over the place. For reference I paid $2200 for an 06 with a little over 1,000 miles last year, and that was after the spring bike rush. I'd wait for one of the CA elder statesmen like Z3n to chime in.

Today I took the bike out and froze my balls off for a couple hours. Somehow I managed to find the one other biker out today who happened to be a chick on a Ninja 500. After seeing it from the front and rear and toying around on some back roads with her I really like its half-modern half-retro look. When I first looked in my mirror I thought it was a big touring bike. Seems like it would be a nice gentle step up into serious bike land versus buying a 600RR or anything else in that class. I think that might be my next motorcycle purchase in the spring.

Seeing female riders in full gear on a bigger bike than you never gets less emasculating.

kylej fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 30, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ribsauce posted:

I just looked at an '03 250 I am probably going to buy,. 2500 miles, 1100 dollars, runs fine, but has some rust spots on the muffler part below the fairing. Can I just clean this? How big a problem is this? Also the handlebars are slightly bent but I don't think it should matter at all. Everything else is fine, with a few scratches from a no speed drop

Buy it. That's a great deal, pretty much the perfect starter deal. I'm also suspicious that the price is too low, but then again, I have a friend who will dump bikes at 500-1000$ below market value just because he wants rid of them. Obviously, you should look over it carefully, but you really can't go too wrong at that price.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
He had it inspected last week and it passed everything. It runs fine, the bend on the bars is really small, I'm not even sure if I would have noticed it if he didn't point it out. He has had it for sale for a week but some guy jerked him around for 3 days and I just was lucky to email him about 30 seconds after the guy stood him up and the dude lives .5 miles from me.

He just wants to sell it quick. His first listing was at 1500 but he reposted it at 1100 and just wants it gone. I looked it over as best as I could which is not very well and didn't see anything besides what I mentioned above.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I will own it officially.

edit

for what its worth the dude was driving it around town earlier today so at least he doesn't think its secretly broken and will crash into a tree any second.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 30, 2009

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Alright bros, I bought the Ninja, rode it around for 20 minutes in my neighborhood, nothing seemed wrong. He did suggest I go get all the fluids checked and changed which I am planning on. About what should this run me? Is it easy to do myself? The tires look fine treadwise. What do I check to see if they are old?

Thanks for the help.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Ribsauce posted:

Alright bros, I bought the Ninja, rode it around for 20 minutes in my neighborhood, nothing seemed wrong. He did suggest I go get all the fluids checked and changed which I am planning on. About what should this run me? Is it easy to do myself? The tires look fine treadwise. What do I check to see if they are old?

Thanks for the help.

My dealer charges $110 to change oil and filter, check all other fluids, adjust and lube clutch and throttle if needed, and adjust, clean, and oil the chain. I'd imagine you could get all fluids changed on top of that for another hundred or so depending on parts price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ribsauce posted:

Thanks for the help.

Way more info than you'd ever want on tires in here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174783

The section on date codes is what you're looking for though.

You can easily change the oil yourself.

Brakes are also easy if you've got a little mechanical experience.

Coolant flush is sort of a pain in the rear end because you'll probably end up splashing coolant all over everything, but also not horrible.

Are you interested in learning to work on the bike or are you willing to just pay off a dealership to take care of it?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have literally no mechanical experience but I do want to learn. The most complex thing I have ever done is like change an air filter on my car. But I want to learn and am willing too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

I have literally no mechanical experience but I do want to learn. The most complex thing I have ever done is like change an air filter on my car. But I want to learn and am willing too.

Go check out the ninja250.net wiki and buy a service manual. Oil change would be at the top of the priority list and it's got a good walkthrough in the wiki. Don't overtorque your oil drain bolt!

Before you do anything, read through the wiki and the service manual (once you get it) and ask questions here if you're unsure on anything. My first job I ever did was changing the clutch on one of my bikes, I read through the service manual like 5 times and then it went really smoothly.

Good luck and don't be shy about questions :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ya, if you go into it with the right mindset it's not too bad. I only pay people to change my tires because it looks like a pain in the rear end. Everything else I do, or a friend and I do over beer. Prior to this I had only really changed the oil in my car.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
My First bike was a '99 EX250H. Loved that bike. Unfortunately I threw i dropped it a lot but it was a reliable bike and kept running even through the punishment

They are all very reliable bikes, not the quickest but they'll get you from A to B without breaking down in the middle somewhere.

If you ride hard enough you can keep up with the other guys, but it felt pretty dangerous considering the brakes on the bike.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 3, 2009

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Do you think it would be a good idea to take it to the shop for the first time so some professionals can look at it then do the subsequent maintenance myself? I think that is what I am going to do. Like changing the oil or whatever, I can do that each future time, but I should probably get them looking at everything the first time to make sure there isn't anything which is a huge deal.

For those service manuals, its gonna cost me 70 total? Buy the main one then the one focused for my year? Or am I looking at it wrong?

edit
And the manual says 87 octane minimum? Is that what I should use? Any reason to put in premium?

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 3, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You could probably track one down at a dealer, I never bothered and just used ninja250.org's wiki. It's the best resource for your bike on the web easily.

edit: To answer your question, if you compare your bike against the used motorcycle buyers guide you should have a fair assessment as to the condition of your bike, and just start the maintenance schedule from there. If however you've got some cash thats burning a hole in your wallet, take it to the dealer. ;)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 3, 2009

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

Do you think it would be a good idea to take it to the shop for the first time so some professionals can look at it then do the subsequent maintenance myself? I think that is what I am going to do. Like changing the oil or whatever, I can do that each future time, but I should probably get them looking at everything the first time to make sure there isn't anything which is a huge deal.

For those service manuals, its gonna cost me 70 total? Buy the main one then the one focused for my year? Or am I looking at it wrong?

edit
And the manual says 87 octane minimum? Is that what I should use? Any reason to put in premium?

I'd say that, in your case, having someone who knows what they are looking at check your bike out is probably a good idea. The only caveat to that would be make sure whoever looks it over for you is reputable.

If the manual calls for 87 octane then use 87 octane. You won't be doing anything but wasting money and creating some neat carbon fouling by using anything higher. This recommendation changes with aftermarket performance additions or tuning.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Just purchased all the parts needed to fix up my 250, hopefully next weekend I will have a lovely post with the results.

Edit:
How the hell did I forget to buy the drat mirror?!

poo poo, next paycheck I guess.

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 6, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Looks like you guys with the newer Ninja250s got yourselves a recall!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=09V464&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

quote:

Kawasaki is recalling model year 2009-2010 EX250 Ninja 250 motorcycles. Porosity in the engine case could allow engine oil to leak, and be deposited on the rear tire. A small number of upper engine cases for the affected model could have porosity in the aluminum casting. This porosity occurs in the vicinity of a pressurized oil passage just above the transmission output shaft

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Looks like you guys with the newer Ninja250s got yourselves a recall!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=09V464&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

Last time I looked mine isn't leaking so I guess I'm cool.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Do you think this is something we can just check out ourselves? I don't think I need to have a dealer "look" when I can do that myself.

that and the current ability to move my bike would be an issue. :sigh:

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

If anybody is following my story/cares enough about my story...

I got some bike parts today!!! Going to hopefully go for a ride today for the first time in many weeks :)

(Even if it is sans fairings :rock: )

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Cabledude posted:

(Even if it is sans fairings :rock: )

What do the new 250s look like sans fairings?

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

I'll snap a pic later when I'm off work.

Hazlen
May 5, 2007

Shameless bump.

Also seen, Cablekid's new 2010 Blue 250r.

Edit:

Update!!

Got my old clutch lever mounted on my new handlebar and I got to give my bike a ride! Feels good after these past few weeks. Came back after piddling around the neighborhood with my brother to mount my headlight and it started raining :/ but we got the headlight mounted and went out again anyways to test it and all's well. Now I'm just waited for the rest of the parts to come in to finish it.

Click here for the full 360x480 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Hazlen fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 13, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Merry Christmas. Winter is here. Adjust Your valves. Your mother worries.

Hey guys, it's no secret that properly adjusted valves make or break the Ninja 250. I've got more then my reg-fee's worth from this forum and want to help other new motorcyclists get started on the right foot. That being said, I want to offer you guys the use of my Kawasaki valve adjustment tool for 1988-2007 model year Ninja 250s. Naturally one only needs this tool when performing a valve adjustment, so it just sits and collets dust 95% of the time. All I ask in return is a toxx clause stating that you'll return it within 5-10days, and $5 to cover shipping. I'm currently moving, so expect this to kickoff early january. I'd also feel better about loaning it out to people who have at least had their ninja since mid-october, and have already posted in this thread, for obvious reasons. This tool isn't needed to adjust your valves, it just makes it a bit easier. Remember the service schedule is every 6k miles, and one at 500 miles. If you haven't done it and you've owned it since it was basically new or have more then 6k miles on the odo, you probably need to do this.

Prerequisites
1.Owned Ninja 250 since 15 October
2.Posted in this thread prior to this offer
3.Toxx clause yourself stating that you'll return the tool within 10 days. (If it's going to arrive later then 10 days, I won't care if you can show a tracking number/receipt/whatever)
4.$5 shipping (paypal works)
5.Post a cool photo of yourself neck deep in parts and valves (ok, this is optional)

Photo of the Tool:

There are two parts, the wrench and a flathead screwdriver that fits inside the wrench, you'll know what I mean when you get it.

Instructions:
Ok I'm not typing that all out. Go here

Things you'll probably want and other notes:
I may decide to stop, or modify how I'm doing this if I don't think it's going well (i.e. people keeping it for an extended amount of time), but if you really need more time, pm me or email me and we can work it out. It's more intimidating the first time you do it, block off an entire afternoon and take your time. You'll also want to have feelers, and a good wrench set though your toolkit should suffice. Optional but recommended valve cover gasket, and a pair of new spark plugs. They're cheap and you're going to have it all apart anyway, you'll just need to beg/borrow/steal a gapping tool. Also don't buy champion plugs, word on ninja250.org says they suck and explode your engine, I don't have personal experience but the NGK ones aren't too bad so I just use them. It's also recommended to sync your carbs when doing your valves. Carbs are black magic and scary.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'd love to get in on that, but I am also moving and don't know when I'll actually get around to some real maintenance. Some time in January is likely. I'll finally have a garage to do it in, though! :D

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
I just passed an MSF class so now I'm considering buying a used 2004 Ninja 250, and my sister has a friend who is selling one due to financial issues. The previous owner was bumped from behind while sitting at a stop light so it has minor cosmetic damage on the lower left fairing and a crack in the upper right fairing. She also says it has a "subframe that's a little bent." Should I be concerned about the subframe being damaged?

The best part is that it's hardly been used -- it has less than 100 miles on it. The downside is that I have to pay to have it shipped from Sacramento, CA to Seattle, WA. I plan on renting a relocube from upack.com to move the bike. The seller will secure the bike in a cube and then ABF drives it up here. Their online quote was $355, but I still save money over buying locally from Craigslist or a dealer.

Finally, are there any questions I should ask before handing over the money? My sister says it's a good buy and it's in great condition but I just want to be 100% sure without being able to see it in person.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How much are you paying? Do you have pictures of it? How old are the tires?

Also, can you fly down there and ride it back? I know you just completed your MSF, but it could be an option. Fly down, spend a day familiarizing yourself with the bike, change the oil, lube the chain, and ride on home?

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Z3n posted:

How much are you paying? Do you have pictures of it? How old are the tires?

Also, can you fly down there and ride it back? I know you just completed your MSF, but it could be an option. Fly down, spend a day familiarizing yourself with the bike, change the oil, lube the chain, and ride on home?

Hmm, never considered flying down and riding back. I suppose that's possible, but it's a 750 mile trek. Not sure I'd be comfortable enough to handle that at this point. I'll ask about the tires.

I forgot the price: $1200. All the other Ninjas in the Seattle area are above $2,000 but they are newer models. The only pictures I have are small -- I'm working on getting larger ones.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Considering it's got 100 miles, is a 2004, and the front tire is OEM. I'd bet they're 6 year old originals.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Does anyone know if electrical work at a bike shop would be pricey in general?

My 250's electrical system won't come on any more. As in when I put in the key to "ON" no lights come on whatsoever. Battery's fully charged. My engineering-major friend here at RIT looked at the wires and fuses; no short or blown-ness could be discerned.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Honestly this is probably something really simple, ninjas don't have the most complicated of wiring on the planet. Just start tracing wires to make sure nothing's broken or disconnected, but I'd still bet it's a blown main fuse.

The 30a main fuse isn't in the fuse box, it's in the starter solenoid unit next to the fuse box. Easy to overlook it if you just get focused on the fusebox itself.

*edit* http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Does anyone know if electrical work at a bike shop would be pricey in general?

My 250's electrical system won't come on any more. As in when I put in the key to "ON" no lights come on whatsoever. Battery's fully charged. My engineering-major friend here at RIT looked at the wires and fuses; no short or blown-ness could be discerned.

Unless it's something very simple, it will be stupid pricey. So basically, you may as well do it yourself. The 250 wiki has all of the info you should need. If you still have problems, post up and we'll try and figure it out.

Radnor, you have to look at the big picture:

If you figure 300$ for tires, 350$ for transportation, 100$ for a new chain and installation your 1200$ bike just became a 1950$ bike.

If everything is perfect. Chances are, since it only has 100 miles on it, unless it's been started and run regularly, the gas is toast and the carbs are clogged. That's gonna be another couple hundred unless you do it yourself. I don't know what your situation is like, but this is a situation where it's very easy to be penny wise but dollar dumb.

Do you have anyone who'd help you work on the bike? If you can do that, then your costs will go down a bit, and you might be able to make a deal out of it.

• Locked thread