Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Aliginge posted:

Yeah, I see where I can get the polycount down. I'll do out another render and get you a wireframe when I optimise the poo poo out of it. Curse my love of chamfered edges. :)

841 polygons is fine, I honestly don't see why anyone is bitching about it unless it's a game model. It's not a straight box, I see the rounded edges and curved profiles in the cross sections

If it was 65,000 polygons I'd have an issue but I don't see why folks are concerned with a 841 polygon steampunk laptop model. It's fine.

Unless it's for a game or something, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned about polycount as long as it's used effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I think the point of listing the polycount is a dead giveaway that he's trying to make it for some kind of game. We're not bitching we're giving crits, and I'm pretty sure a game company cares about optimal use in polygons if he's trying for a modeling job.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 8, 2010

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
It's fine guys, it's a legitimate problem I overlooked. :)

Sigma-X posted:

Overall your textures look rather blurry for 2048x2048. Run a sharpen filter over it at the very least.

and yeah, 841 tris is an awful lot for something that is nearly a perfect box. Even with the feet and the wood bars on the top I can't see this getting that high.
Well, I just managed to drop it to 140 without any real difficulty. Just general cleanup but I found an extra couple of meshes in there which shouldn't have been.

Oops. :v:

As for the textures, looking at it again, I would blame that on the viewport grab. Tilting surfaces seem to blur the texture on a straight screengrab. I'll get some actual renders out instead once I've re-mapped it.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 9, 2010

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Or throw it into Marmoset :P

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Aliginge posted:

As for the textures, looking at it again, I would blame that on the viewport grab. Tilting surfaces seem to blur the texture on a straight screengrab. I'll get some actual renders out instead once I've re-mapped it.

Turn bitmap filtering off for all your maps, it makes them much sharper.

edit: new personal project :)
Trying to improve my lackluster modeling.

I normally texture as I go, but for this i'm going to finish the model then do all the texturing seperatly - just to see how that works out.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 9, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Something I've been working on since yesterday for my first showreel:

I want to make a fake commercial with motion graphics and this fictional 3D USB Sounddock.

What do you guys think? The speaker grid, which is just a 2D surface with an alpha map for the holes, takes awfully long to render (I'll need 2x or maybe 4x AA in the end and I'd like an AO pass as well). Do you have any tips on how to optimize something like this?

EDIT: Rendering with Cinema 4D's standard renderer.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2010

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

FLX posted:

Something I've been working on since yesterday for my first showreel:

I want to make a fake commercial with motion graphics and this fictional 3D USB Sounddock.

What do you guys think? The speaker grid, which is just a 2D surface with an alpha map for the holes, takes awfully long to render (I'll need 2x or maybe 4x AA in the end and I'd like an AO pass as well). Do you have any tips on how to optimize something like this?

How much actual geometry is being revealed by the alpha channel? Other than the speaker with the line around it (which I assume is a motion graphics flourish) it looks like all we're really seeing beneath the speaker grid is just blackness. Could you get away with just having a simple non-alpha diffuse map and try seeing where a bump map gets you?

cubicle gangster posted:

Turn bitmap filtering off for all your maps, it makes them much sharper.

edit: new personal project :)
Trying to improve my lackluster modeling.

I normally texture as I go, but for this i'm going to finish the model then do all the texturing seperatly - just to see how that works out.

Doesn't look lacklustre to me! :)

How much of it are you planning to use procedural textures for?

schmuckfeatures fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 10, 2010

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

FLX posted:

Do you have any tips on how to optimize something like this?

You should say what you're rendering it in, but if it's vray go into where the alpha map is and turn bitmap filtering off. Always do this for alpha maps, vray really hates them.

schmuckfeatures - I've been hitting modeling pretty hard for a few weeks now. I think i'm at the point where I could do most things, but i'm still pretty slow and clumsy - need to get my speed way up.
I'm planning to try and unwrap/paint as many textures as possible, it's a pretty weak area of mine so I could do with the practice. I reckon i'll do the details procedural though, with just the large surfaces unwrapped.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

schmuckfeatures posted:

How much actual geometry is being revealed by the alpha channel? Other than the speaker with the line around it (which I assume is a motion graphics flourish) it looks like all we're really seeing beneath the speaker grid is just blackness. Could you get away with just having a simple non-alpha diffuse map and try seeing where a bump map gets you?
Thanks, that's a good idea. I'm not sure yet how close I'll get to the grid with the camera, but I can definitely render some shots without the alpha map.

cubicle gangster posted:

You should say what you're rendering it in, but if it's vray go into where the alpha map is and turn bitmap filtering off. Always do this for alpha maps, vray really hates them.
I'm rendering with Cinema 4D's standard renderer.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

nevermind :)

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 24, 2010

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib

Aliginge posted:

Teesside University up here in Boro have a 3d printer. Only problem is the price rises stupidly quickly the bigger your model gets and you can't seem to have colour unless you want to pay thousands.

Incidentally, my newest folio piece.

Click here for the full 1224x950 image.

Hey Tees Goonbuddy - you attending Animex? Im there again tommorow and friday for the lectures - just did a workshop there today.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster: That looks pretty great so far!

Can anybody point me to some normal map workflow for zbrush 3.5r3 ???
Without zmapper it seems nearly impossible to get perfect normal maps out of zbrush these days. Zmapper used to have presets for both max and maya and without those, it is really a struggle getting out proper normal maps.

Here is a test generating a normal map in maya.

Retopologizing is fun! :suicide:

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 11, 2010

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

UPDATE!

I removed the feet as they weren't adding much to the model except doubling the polycount, which is now down to a nice, low 124 polys and only using 1024-res textures. Going lower could be done, but I'd have to reprioritise my UAV space.

olblue posted:

Hey Tees Goonbuddy - you attending Animex? Im there again tommorow and friday for the lectures - just did a workshop there today.

Nah, can't afford it, being a broke-rear end postgrad and all :/

Although I heard the Double-Fine and Infinity Ward speeches went down well, at least until someone asked about the Dedicated Servers....

What workshop did you do? I did a character concept art one two years back and I've seriously never drawn that fast in my life. :)

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Good job man, looks much better and is much more optimized.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
What would be the best way of posting video? I have a few character animations I wanted to show, but was unsure of how to do so.

Edit: Thanks,

Some character animations I've been working on. Still need work, but getting close.

http://www.vimeo.com/9369775

http://www.vimeo.com/9369805

le capitan fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 11, 2010

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

le capitan posted:

What would be the best way of posting video? I have a few character animations I wanted to show, but was unsure of how to do so.

Upload to youtube, post link here.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
or vimeo depending on your quality standards

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

DefMech posted:

or vimeo depending on your quality standards

Vimeo is better I think but of course youtube is more exposure. There are lots of demo reel sites out there too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Vimeo:youtube::pitchfork:rolling stones

A while back I mentioned a cel shaded animation called Logorama, you can now watch it online and it's in the running for Best Animated Short at the Schloshcars

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc3h1f_logorama_shortfilms

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

olblue posted:

You smell of wee!

In other news, destroying buildings can actually get pretty complicated, who knew.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Aliginge posted:

UPDATE!

I removed the feet as they weren't adding much to the model except doubling the polycount, which is now down to a nice, low 124 polys and only using 1024-res textures. Going lower could be done, but I'd have to reprioritise my UAV space.

Looking way nicer and you can hardly tell you just shrunk the texture size down to 1/4 of what it used to be! My only thing to say is you have some very strange cuts going on in there that don't really seem to be doing anything. I'm guessing you're not vertex lighting, so looking at that model they really stick out. If you're going for optimisation, which you should, I'd really sort them out. Other than that, nice job dude, and well done for taking the crit well and addressing it; it's a bigger step than it sounds!

Click here for the full 1024x677 image.

edit: just suddenly realised what those cuts are on the bottom left. How are you rendering your wireframes, and in what program?

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 11, 2010

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

brian encino man posted:

Looking way nicer and you can hardly tell you just shrunk the texture size down to 1/4 of what it used to be! My only thing to say is you have some very strange cuts going on in there that don't really seem to be doing anything. I'm guessing you're not vertex lighting, so looking at that model they really stick out. If you're going for optimisation, which you should, I'd really sort them out. Other than that, nice job dude, and well done for taking the crit well and addressing it; it's a bigger step than it sounds!

Click here for the full 1024x677 image.

edit: just suddenly realised what those cuts are on the bottom left. How are you rendering your wireframes, and in what program?

Thanks a lot. :)

As for the wireframe, they are just screengrabs from the 3dsmax viewport and the bottom left image was a composite of a wireframe render and a regular render which didn't occlude wires behind the lid. Didn't work too well. I corrected that in the render just now.

The edgeloop cuts horizontally and vertically across the monitor continue around the lid itself and terminate on the back of the lid in a triangular-shaped quad, the extra cut you circled in red is to make that a quad and not a triangle, just playing it safe.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 11, 2010

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

They all get converted to triangles anyway man, its 5 sideds plus you need to worry about frankly. Cuts that terminate in the middle of a line, without joining up to a vertex after that line, make 2 quads when you could have 2 triangles AND a 5 sided on the other side of the line.

brian encino man fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 11, 2010

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Alan Smithee posted:

A while back I mentioned a cel shaded animation called Logorama, you can now watch it online and it's in the running for Best Animated Short at the Schloshcars

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc3h1f_logorama_shortfilms

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Very imaginative and a nice dark edge to it.

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib

Ratmann posted:

You smell of wee!

In other news, destroying buildings can actually get pretty complicated, who knew.

Sup Cuban ladyboy goon :) Been looking forward to you showing me how to do that sort of effect in Houdini for a while now.

Spent yesterday teaching a workshop on hard surface modeling and rigging at Animex then today I saw Stuart Sumida do his talk on Dinosaurs and Dragons and the work on creating hybridized creatures for the new How to Train Your Dragon film. Some interesting things on the importance of the co-operation between 3d artists and traditional Paleontology and how it has bought out new understanding of how dinosaurs physiology works. I think he probably has a book out on it somewhere however I know he will be talking at Red Stick in New Orleans on the 10th November this year so he will be worth watching for anyone who will be in the area at the time. Hopefully I can get over for the first time this year as I would love to catch Red Stick.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas for prop models that would complement my portfolio so far?

http://www.gingerchris3d.com/

I'm just drawing a blank on ideas right now. I suppose I could attempt a vehicle or aircraft or something, but would that be doing my portfolio a disservice by including something other than props?

If nothing comes back I might have a go at doing a hacked-together fallout-esque weapon model. I could do with doing grungy again.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

olblue posted:

I think he probably has a book out on it somewhere however I know he will be talking at Red Stick in New Orleans on the 10th November this year so he will be worth watching for anyone who will be in the area at the time. Hopefully I can get over for the first time this year as I would love to catch Red Stick.

Stuart is at pretty much every Red Stick Festival. His talks and workshops always go over well. A couple years ago they had one of the world's foremost experts on theropod locomotion give a talk on how TRexes stand and move. It was pretty hardcore science, but completely captivating listening to the process he went through in his research. It's a pretty small festival, though. I have a hard time recommending flying all the way down here just for it.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Aliginge posted:

I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas for prop models that would complement my portfolio so far?

http://www.gingerchris3d.com/

I'm just drawing a blank on ideas right now. I suppose I could attempt a vehicle or aircraft or something, but would that be doing my portfolio a disservice by including something other than props?

If nothing comes back I might have a go at doing a hacked-together fallout-esque weapon model. I could do with doing grungy again.

A good idea is to look at what company you'd like to work for, and make assets that would fit into their game environment.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Frankly you can't go wrong with a barrel, a crate and some general all purpose stuff. As long as you do them as well as you can!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Barrels and crates are boring as gently caress.

Show you can model and texture something more complex than a cylinder or a crate. A vehicle or some other hero prop would be a lot more interesting than small-scale props.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
What about guns and other weapons?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

RizieN posted:

What about guns and other weapons?

That works too, just realize that if you're modeling an AK-47 literally thousands of people have modeled an AK-47 and unless you are modeling an AK-47 that is competitive with the one in MW2, MAG, Other New Shooter, etc, its not going to be as helpful because you are going to draw unfavorable comparisons.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

That works too, just realize that if you're modeling an AK-47 literally thousands of people have modeled an AK-47 and unless you are modeling an AK-47 that is competitive with the one in MW2, MAG, Other New Shooter, etc, its not going to be as helpful because you are going to draw unfavorable comparisons.

Hell, even I've modelled an AK47 before, it's not a patch on my newer models so that's probably why it's not on my folio.

Anyway, I managed to borrow an airsoft SA80 from one of my airsoft soc buddies and I think I'll have a go modelling one of those. This will be the first time I've modelled something I have in front of me so it should be fun.

Going to make some changes though, I fancy decking it out in some grotty wooden furniture, dirtying it the gently caress up, getting rid of the scope and keeping it to the iron sights like the model I have, bit of duck tape here, crappy AK replacement parts there, sprayed on logos/slogans, that sort of thing.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 12, 2010

ThreeHams
Sep 28, 2005

Ride the pig!

Aliginge posted:

Hell, even I've modelled an AK47 before, it's not a patch on my newer models so that's probably why it's not on my folio.

Anyway, I managed to borrow an airsoft SA80 from one of my airsoft soc buddies and I think I'll have a go modelling one of those. This will be the first time I've modelled something I have in front of me so it should be fun.

Going to make some changes though, I fancy decking it out in some grotty wooden furniture, dirtying it the gently caress up, getting rid of the scope and keeping it to the iron sights like the model I have, bit of duck tape here, crappy AK replacement parts there, sprayed on logos/slogans, that sort of thing.

Make sure you get some real-world reference. Airsoft guns are notoriously inaccurate, or mix-and-match different variants. It's also difficult to tell moving parts from static ones - not to mention material types.

Beyond that... if you haven't done it already, do some research and think about the story behind this gun. If this is a "hero" prop, it should have some history to it, rather than just being some object that gets duplicated thousands of times in one level.

So:
- Who owns this gun? What's their background? This would affect the sprayed-on markings (the language they're written in, logos, local slang, etc).
- How did they end up with it? There was never a civilian variant, and only the British military has ever deployed it, so you're probably talking about military, ex-military, someone on the opposing side who picked it off a dead soldier, etc.
- Why are they using it? The whole SA80 series is notoriously fragile and unreliable in harsh environments, even when it's new - let alone abused. This lets you play around with hacked-together improvements - after all, it's a very personalized weapon.
- Where is it? This would have a major effect on the type of wear it sustains (desert vs. jungle environment, rust, sun damage on wooden parts, etc). Also, if it's an L85 with AK parts, it'd imply that it's rare in its location, and that AKs are common, hence needing mismatched parts to keep using it.

You don't have to spend days on this, but just coming up with a short background can really help your weapon stand out among the thousands of other ones out there.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Ideally it would be good if you are going to showcase a gun, have it held by a well modeled character or vehicle.

There are way too many demo reels out there with spinning gun props. If you want to be a prop modeler you will want to be good at modeling everything else also.

From a production standpoint you don't "just" hire a prop modeler. You hire a well rounded modeler who can also do other modeling tasks [organics/hard surfaces] and occasionally they'll do props.

/edit You beat me before I could resend a less snarky reply :doh:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 12, 2010

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

ThreeHams posted:

Beyond that... if you haven't done it already, do some research and think about the story behind this gun. If this is a "hero" prop, it should have some history to it, rather than just being some object that gets duplicated thousands of times in one level.
This is some drat good advice and I'm going to hold off modelling for a little while and see if I can do just that.

Hmm, anyone with any practical sense with guns wouldn't choose to keep an SA80 if AKs and other more reliable milsurp is available, unless in a survival situation that's all they can get their hands on. So already I have a STALKER-ish type character roaming the post-apoc british wastelands who raids TA bases for his gear.

As for the weapon, apparently things like the top cover of the handguard commonly needs taping down, charging handles snap off, the mag release isn't the most secure, the cheekrest on the airsoft version I have is uncomfortable as gently caress so maybe gaffer tape some foam onto that...

It's a poo poo gun but it sorta has character :shobon:

BigKOfJustice posted:

If there's a gun on your demo reel there better be a kick rear end character* holding it or it's off to a reject pile, IMO.

(* - or kick rear end vehicle)

A vehicle I'd be more inclined to do at this point. My characters are basically inferior to my props and show off my flaws way more, not good when looking for that entry level games job.

floofyscorp posted:

Speaking of, if I don't see your application in my inbox on Monday I am going to rage at you :p All you have to do is pour your heart and soul into the art test!

I was just waiting to do them all at once oh god dont kill me :cry:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 13, 2010

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Aliginge posted:

A vehicle I'd be more inclined to do at this point. My characters are basically inferior to my props and show off my flaws way more, not good when looking for that entry level games job.
Speaking of, if I don't see your application in my inbox on Monday I am going to rage at you :p All you have to do is pour your heart and soul into the art test!

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Dude with a cut up welded post box for a suit of armour:p

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BigKOfJustice posted:

Ideally it would be good if you are going to showcase a gun, have it held by a well modeled character or vehicle.

There are way too many demo reels out there with spinning gun props. If you want to be a prop modeler you will want to be good at modeling everything else also.

From a production standpoint you don't "just" hire a prop modeler. You hire a well rounded modeler who can also do other modeling tasks [organics/hard surfaces] and occasionally they'll do props.

/edit You beat me before I could resend a less snarky reply :doh:

in games this is pretty much untrue which is where he's trying to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

brian encino man posted:

Dude with a cut up welded post box for a suit of armour:p

Someone needs to mod this into Fallout 3 right now.