Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
Decided to start a mini-series using the set up I posted a little earlier. Here's a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

That looks really nice. :)

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

fordan posted:

As an employee taking pictures as part of his job, I'd assume the copyright would rest with his employer, making publicity rights/model releases the sticking point.

that depends... my job (intern architect) has me insanely busy, but my employer recognizes my photographic skills - so I photograph the firm's work under separate contract and retain copyright :)

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Leyendecker posted:

Decided to start a mini-series using the set up I posted a little earlier. Here's a new one.

That's nice. Would you mind giving some information on your lighting setup?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Alfajor posted:

I've got a gig for Metromix for today... :words:

I'm not trying to be an attention whore, I swear :shobon:
I went and did this, here are the pictures: http://reno.metromix.com/events/photogallery/10th-annual-winter-wine/1729578/content
What I learned: People like having their picture taken. Specially if you tell them they're going to be online on a hip/modern site for them to check out and show to their friends.
It was a bit stressful, since my mission was to get pictures of "attractive people in their 20s and 30s", and there were a lot more older people than the people I was supposed to get. An hour in, I only had a dozen shots, so I worried I wasn't going to find anymore, but I did eventually.
At first, I was a bit shaky asking people if they wanted their picture taken, and even more shaky when I had to ask them for their name. But as I went on, I got more comfortable, and it was a lot more fun.

As for the pictures themselves, I need more practice with my flash and exposure. I would have liked to have more background light, and some of them have horrible composition (like a green "exit" sign right behind them), so those are little things that would have made me feel more proud of what I did.
However, my mission was accomplished, and I got paid. So, :c00l:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Do you recall which of the shots were taken with the flash off camera ?
I was interested in the Lumiquest products but it seems like there is still a very bright hot spot on people's faces with it.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I actually took all the shots with my flash on camera. I checked the bag and forgot to get my TTL cable out of it, so I was "stuck" with the flash on there and that was it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

I like this one. :)

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A couple more from me. First, from the photo night thing we do at my office, with strobes:

A couple from a wedding I was at:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Reichstag posted:

I like this a lot more than I like your usual hyper grainy stuff.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Glad you like it. How about something grainless?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Reich normally I can get behind your stuff, I'm not crazy about your style but I can see thought behind most of your images, I can see talent, I like dull colours, depressing hues and crushing tones... But I really dislike that image. His face is oddly coloured, perhaps it's my monitor but he has a slight magenta tint that just looks odd. The depth of field isn't picking sides, does it WANT to be shallow and simply reveal an eye or does it want to cover his face? At the moment it just looks as if you took it at the wrong stop or didn't carry the one when measuring DOF. That and the focus appears to be on his cheek bone. You've avoided blow-outs on his skin (barely) which is great but otherwise the lighting looks like it's trying to do the hipster dead on angle thing but comes out looking just flat, blah. I know you like destroying the rules of composition but in this case his centre position in frame just gives him no space to look into and, like the lighting, rather than achieving a deliberate-messy affect it just looks uninspired.
Overall it looks like a shot I would have taken with a point-and-shoot at a friends party while he's talking to someone.

I don't have anything on you, you're a better photographer than me times a thousand but that image just don't cut it man.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
My latest session. I tried a first, in that the camera was on a tripod and I had a remote shutter in hand. It was so great getting to be close and interact with the subject with no camera in front of my face.

Writeup here, with a setup shot too: http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/01/firstshootwithlightpanels.html

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

poopinmymouth posted:

My latest session. I tried a first, in that the camera was on a tripod and I had a remote shutter in hand. It was so great getting to be close and interact with the subject with no camera in front of my face.

Writeup here, with a setup shot too: http://mr-chompers.blogspot.com/2010/01/firstshootwithlightpanels.html

This stuff is amazingly, dramatically awesome.

[Edit] My GF says: Either people in Reykjavik dress like they're in Brooklyn, or people in Brooklyn dress like they're in Reykjavik.

thetzar fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2010

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

Hop Pocket posted:

That's nice. Would you mind giving some information on your lighting setup?

It was just an sb-600 bounced from the ceiling at like 1/16 in a dark room- but it was in a doorway, so the light really bounced around a lot.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

thetzar posted:

This stuff is amazingly, dramatically awesome.

[Edit] My GF says: Either people in Reykjavik dress like they're in Brooklyn, or people in Brooklyn dress like they're in Reykjavik.

Thanks. It's shot here in Cologne, Germany, and the model is German, but he lived in CA for a while.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

XTimmy posted:

Reich normally I can get behind your stuff, I'm not crazy about your style but I can see thought behind most of your images, I can see talent, I like dull colours, depressing hues and crushing tones... But I really dislike that image. His face is oddly coloured, perhaps it's my monitor but he has a slight magenta tint that just looks odd. The depth of field isn't picking sides, does it WANT to be shallow and simply reveal an eye or does it want to cover his face? At the moment it just looks as if you took it at the wrong stop or didn't carry the one when measuring DOF. That and the focus appears to be on his cheek bone. You've avoided blow-outs on his skin (barely) which is great but otherwise the lighting looks like it's trying to do the hipster dead on angle thing but comes out looking just flat, blah. I know you like destroying the rules of composition but in this case his centre position in frame just gives him no space to look into and, like the lighting, rather than achieving a deliberate-messy affect it just looks uninspired.
Overall it looks like a shot I would have taken with a point-and-shoot at a friends party while he's talking to someone.

I don't have anything on you, you're a better photographer than me times a thousand but that image just don't cut it man.

If you ask me, based on your critiques, this is probably one of Reichstag's most successful images.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Just plain people :)

miasma blues
May 18, 2008

There fly those who didn't survive the winter.
It's going to be spring soon.
Just a snapshot. drat bag on the couch.

Any hints on the white balance? Seems a tad red I think.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

nonanone posted:

Does my insurance cover me in case of centipede infestation?
Very technically accomplished shot good work!

miasma blues posted:

Just a snapshot. drat bag on the couch.

Any hints on the white balance? Seems a tad red I think.
Yeah slight reddish cast, check out the back wall, I get the feeling it was white originally and it doesn't look it any more.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

nonanone posted:

Liking all 3 of these, doesn't hurt they're all handsome.

miasma blues
May 18, 2008

There fly those who didn't survive the winter.
It's going to be spring soon.

I do have a photo of both of them, just not postprocessed it. Lesson learned: 3d-glasses make for a lot of reflections.

This one is a tad dark, but I like it a lot.

Click for big.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Reichstag posted:

What differentiates this from a random snapshot? Do you put any conceptualization into these? To me your photos always seem like a formula of random interesting friends + film colors = good photo. I don't see anything engaging, or unique in the actual shooting. What do you actually do at the time of taking the photos that would differentiate your photos from a digital shooter grabbing snapshots of their friends?

reaps-test
Mar 11, 2003

Edit: screwed that up.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

poopinmymouth posted:

Questions...

Reichstag posted:

I'm glad that got so much interest in that photo. I'm leaving for the airport in a few minutes, so I don't have time to respond, but have a good couple months. :)

Looks like he's not going to be able to answer your question (for a while).
(Also, I was always under the impression that the photos were composed as to look as much like a snapshot as possible, as to try and recreate some imaginary scene of friends. But that these people were posed, rather than him just capturing them standing. But this theory isn't based on much.)

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I get the feeling reichy would very much like us to think that.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Natural light from our balcony, I'll be pulling out the reflector next time I do this.
repost from SAD

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Would be a tad more engaging if she were looking at you!

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

XTimmy posted:

I get the feeling reichy would very much like us to think that.

Well, I assumed he would want us to think that, so I also assumed that he would actually do that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

nonanone posted:

Anime eyes :nyoron:

Tziko
Feb 18, 2001
Some shots for work.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Tziko posted:

Some shots for work.

I like the way the green banner bulges a bit. Makes it look kind of like a button. A jolly, candy-like button.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

HPL posted:

I like the way the green banner bulges a bit. Makes it look kind of like a button. A jolly, candy-like button.
now it looks like an apple jolly rancher to me

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
its so web 2.0

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm definitely seeing some sort of cartoon paint tube.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

nonanone posted:

Focus on the eyes, not the nose! :mad:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

they are in focus :colbert: I think...

edit, he has contacts

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
These are from a company party. How do they look?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

These are from a company party. How do they look?

They're not bad. Looks like you bounced, which is of course a good idea. Now I'll lay on the bad stuff...

Gel your flash to match the ambient (tungsten, it looks like) if you're going to shoot at a large aperture or slow shutter speed. I'm pretty sure that's why the lady's forehead is a cool tone. You can see the same effect at the top of the wall in the second shot. They're all slightly underexposed. The wall is entirely unnecessary.

I also wouldn't get so close with a 50mm. All I see is that lady's nose.

Whoever who shot those for will be very happy, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Interrupting Moss posted:

They're not bad. Looks like you bounced, which is of course a good idea. Now I'll lay on the bad stuff...

Gel your flash to match the ambient (tungsten, it looks like) if you're going to shoot at a large aperture or slow shutter speed. I'm pretty sure that's why the lady's forehead is a cool tone. You can see the same effect at the top of the wall in the second shot. They're all slightly underexposed. The wall is entirely unnecessary.

I also wouldn't get so close with a 50mm. All I see is that lady's nose.

Whoever who shot those for will be very happy, however.

ohhhh thats what the blue is from. It was creeping into everything towards the top of photos. I've been meaning to get some gels since they are pretty cheap. Thanks man. Should there be more space around the first portrait of the woman or is that just an unflattering angle for her nose?

I thought the wall was kinda cool, but I could see it also being a distraction.