Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
replace the timing belt idlers since they won't make it to the next timing belt/water pump service.

I've never used any sort of a tool to put the timing belt on. Turn the driver intake cam with a wrench to put the belt on, pull the belt downward to hold the gear in place, rotate the exhaust cam to line up the marks, slip the belt on. Once the belt is over both gears it shouldn't take much to hold them in place, and the gears on the other side line up without any load on the valve springs.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Slow is Fast posted:

Jackson Rally's impreza is nuts. Greatly improved lift and departure angles over stock.

A kid in the subaru club around here lifted his OBS. One inch spacers made by Jackson Rally along with general grabber truck tires. He says they fill his wheel well with no rubbing. Now he's out in utah loving around in the desert with Dirty Impreza people.

ha ha hahahaha holy crap. That is exactly what I want to do and I have no idea or funds how to go about doing it. I think I'm just going to play more DiRT2 and save up for some swaybars in the future.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Just Another XY posted:

I think I'm just going to play more DiRT2
DiRT's driving model is really unsatisfying for some reason. You don't have that kind of braking power on dirt; I don't get how it works. But it's insanely fun to play the big Dakar trucks and ram your opponents on hairpins.

quote:

and save up for some swaybars in the future.
You don't necessarily need swaybars to do well in rallycross or rally driving in general. But I don't know that's what you were saying.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

a bigger rear bar helps for rallyx, especially in a low-power car. I'm turning my rear bar to full stiff before the next event. As it is, a little braking on turn in gets the car to go sideways pretty well, but under power it pushes unless I can get enough wheelspin.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

You don't necessarily need swaybars to do well in rallycross or rally driving in general. But I don't know that's what you were saying.

You dont need sway bars at ALL for gravel. The front on my car waves like a dick in the wind (needs to be there for the rules, but a link is disconnected) and the rear is the smallest bar possible.

Despite being not the most powerful car out there, it tends to win. We're batting 4th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 1st and leading before a driver wrong direction.

quote:

a bigger rear bar helps for rallyx, especially in a low-power car. I'm turning my rear bar to full stiff before the next event. As it is, a little braking on turn in gets the car to go sideways pretty well, but under power it pushes unless I can get enough wheelspin.

Soften the front up, reducing grip on the rear is simply covering the real problem. Your car is not weight shifting right - wheel spin a symtom of it. Either that or if you have coilovers, raise the rear a few mm.

And also use the Latvala school of handling thought. Throw it in harder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cat Terrist posted:

Soften the front up, reducing grip on the rear is simply covering the real problem. Your car is not weight shifting right

Isn't that how the torsion bar VWs handle naturally?
e: gently caress I thought this was the rally thread.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Apparently one of my wheels got messed up when I loaned my car to my brother. He hit a curb, the tire is fine but the rim is slightly bent and air was leaking out. (firestone caulked it, so it's holding the air fine now) I'm using this as an excuse to get new wheels anyway (I get one free now), so my question:

I've got Brigestone Potenza RE960's with less than 10K miles on them. Would the Enkei EKM3 17" wheels be able to use the same tires? Is there anything I should be looking out for when getting new wheels (such as tire pressure gauge stuff?), any recomendations for wheels or warnings?

The car is a '08 Legacy GT in Diamond Grey. I'm thinking the gunmetal wheels will look awesome with the car color.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 9, 2010

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Here's the grill I finished making. Total cost was $130 or so. $60 for the grill, $30 for the mesh, and $40 for the STi badge (laugh).

Parts:

Completed:

No pics of it installed yet, because I just finished it tonight. :)

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't the original grill come with a Subaru badge?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Since I knew I'd just be cutting the guts out of it, I decided to spend $60 on an off-brand replacement instead of a Subaru 'official' one.

edit: I also didn't want to use my stock one just in case I made a horrible mess of this one.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Getting a slightly weird, but minor, electrical quirk in my '09 2.5i:

The rear wiper occasionally ignores the intermittent setting and runs constantly while it's not supposed to. Usually see this if it's set to the intermittent position while starting the car, though not every time so I'm not able to generate a specific way to reproduce the error. Can be fixed by turning the rear wiper off for a few seconds then back to intermittent.

It seems minor but is it worth mentioning when I take it in for 7.5 month service in a few weeks just to see if it's a known problem?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I would mention it. Is something like that covered under warranty?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

It's not even 7.5 months old so yeah, definitely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cuntpunch posted:

The rear wiper occasionally ignores the intermittent setting and runs constantly while it's not supposed to. Usually see this if it's set to the intermittent position while starting the car, though not every time so I'm not able to generate a specific way to reproduce the error. Can be fixed by turning the rear wiper off for a few seconds then back to intermittent.

It seems minor but is it worth mentioning when I take it in for 7.5 month service in a few weeks just to see if it's a known problem?

Does it happen while in reverse? If so, that's a feature.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Does it happen while in reverse? If so, that's a feature.

Next time it happens I'll try and do a mental snapshot of everything's settings in the car, but I want to say that I've been in neutral waiting for the car to warm up while this has happened.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
If anyone is interested in the lifted 2001 Outback I posted a few days ago, I can link you to a crapload of pics I took last weekend (25mb download, not posting it in public.. on my personal host but I'll probably put it on rapidshare/etc soon).
This weekend I'll have it put on a lift at a shop so I can shoot the underside.
I will make a Greatest Hits compilation to post for those who want to see how the lift kit works, and so I don't have to post 40mb of photos for people who aren't actually considering buying it.

PM me if you want the download link, and drive safe!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Got my parts today, waiting on the gallon of Lightweight Shockproof.
$700 in parts alone :woop:, C'mon Labor!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Got my parts today, waiting on the gallon of Lightweight Shockproof.
$700 in parts alone :woop:, C'mon Labor!

$150 for a timing belt? As in, just the belt? :psyduck: Holy poo poo.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

$150 for a timing belt? As in, just the belt? :psyduck: Holy poo poo.

Think about it though, its a 100,000 mile belt.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Think about it though, its a 100,000 mile belt.

Right, but the last timing belt I bought (Prelude) cost me $40 or so, IIRC. I would have figured about the same or a bit higher, maybe $50 - $60 tops for the Subaru belt.

I guess the nice thing about the SVX is that I can run the belt till it snaps without really worrying about it. :smug: Although when I had the front end apart over the summer, the belt looked like it had been replaced relatively recently anyway.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Black88GTA posted:

Right, but the last timing belt I bought (Prelude) cost me $40 or so, IIRC. I would have figured about the same or a bit higher, maybe $50 - $60 tops for the Subaru belt.

Its about $55 for a Gates timing belt at Rockauto. If I remember correctly Gates makes the OEM belts as well.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Wrong thread, jeez.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 11, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

on subaru genuine parts it's $110. You can expect the same % discount on everything else from there.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Newb question. We got just over a foot of snowfall yesterday and I have a 40 foot driveway. I've got a NA 09 forester and it really hasn't ever seen so much snow. Anyway, I had a doctor's appointment to go to and I didn't have the time to shovel. So I just sort of hit the gas and plowwed my way 40-50 feet in snow that was wway above my wheel wells. It worked pretty beautifully and I didn't have to dig myself out.

Question: Do I have to worry about underside damage from scraping on the snow? It was sort of ideal snowwball type snow, not the fluffy stuff. Anyone havve experience with this?

ub818
Feb 19, 2003
Yuv goat tae huv a go!

Vladimir Putin posted:

Question: Do I have to worry about underside damage from scraping on the snow? It was sort of ideal snowwball type snow, not the fluffy stuff. Anyone havve experience with this?

I would say you have no worries. Even though you probably heard scraping, I highly doubt even with some hefty ice chunks in it that it did any damage. Times when I don't have my driveway plowed, I drive right through the snow/ice mixture that the county plows leave. I haven't noticed any damage at all this winter. (Aside from snow getting packed into the grill)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

I've done this pretty much every day during the winter for the past two years. I only shovel a little section at the end of my driveway for guest cars, and then a little area around my Subaru so I can open the doors. When the plow leaves a big pile of snow at the end of the driveway I just crawl the car back and forth over it until its sort of flat.

So far no damage to speak of, but I have had some days where I have a ton of snow stuck to the wheels giving me vibration at highway speeds. Also my front lower control arms are pretty rusty. Everything else on the underside of the car has been undercoated and is holding up well.

Also leaving for work and just smashing your car through the wall of snow blocking your driveway while your neighbours are out with shovels trying to dig out is pretty :smug:

8ender fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 11, 2010

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

8ender posted:

Also leaving for work and just smashing your car through the wall of snow blocking your driveway while your neighbours are out with shovels trying to dig out is pretty :smug:

Haha yeah, this is what I did. The plow pushed all of the snow in front of my driveway and made a little wall. I just accelerated from several feet away and flew right through that thing. Wee!

But then this morning I got stuck. :smith:. I'm not exactly sure how it even happened. I think I hit an icy patch that was under the snow and the snow was really deep. It was a bit high for my Forester to clear so it might have been teetering a bit and not been able to get full grip on an already icy surface. So I spent 15 minutes digging myself out alternating with rocking the car back and forth.

Should have gotten a car with a locking differential. :mad:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

Should have gotten a car with a locking differential. :mad:

Next time this happens try applying a little brake while you accelerate slowly. This "tricks" the open diff into putting some power to the other wheel.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Apparently one of my wheels got messed up when I loaned my car to my brother. He hit a curb, the tire is fine but the rim is slightly bent and air was leaking out. (firestone caulked it, so it's holding the air fine now) I'm using this as an excuse to get new wheels anyway (I get one free now), so my question:

I've got Brigestone Potenza RE960's with less than 10K miles on them. Would the Enkei EKM3 17" wheels be able to use the same tires? Is there anything I should be looking out for when getting new wheels (such as tire pressure gauge stuff?), any recomendations for wheels or warnings?

The car is a '08 Legacy GT in Diamond Grey. I'm thinking the gunmetal wheels will look awesome with the car color.

Bump to see if anyone can weigh in on this.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
As long as the stock wheels and the Bridgestones you have on there are 17" you should not really have a problem going to another 17" wheel. Also, caulking to prevent an air leak from a bent wheel? :wtc:

Does your car have TPMS?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
all 07+ legacies have TPMS. Let me tell you how excited I am about that wonderful piece of automotive regulation/legislation.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

TurboLuvah posted:

As long as the stock wheels and the Bridgestones you have on there are 17" you should not really have a problem going to another 17" wheel. Also, caulking to prevent an air leak from a bent wheel? :wtc:

Does your car have TPMS?

It's not a bent wheel, it's just got a slight jag in it. (It looks like it ground on the curb a bit). The leak wasn't that bad until we started having the really cold mornings (teens) warming up to high 30's and low 40's by the afternoon. I was losing about 5 psi per week until then (it happened a month and a half ago), then I started losing 5psi per night or more. The caulking is holding pretty well for a temporary fix.

Yes, I have the TPMS as well.

Other than the EKM3's does anyone have any other 17" wheel recommendations?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Baby's first snow!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is it best to turn of the VDC when driving in deep snow? I recall the dealer mentioning something like that right before he handed my keys over to me, but I wasn't listening.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Cuntpunch posted:

I thought the same thing was happening with my '09 STi. I realized it only happens when you shift in reverse and that it is a feature. I felt kinda stupid. It happens when you shift into reverse, not just when you are actually reversing, so you could be sitting in the car with your brakes on and it will be wiping all the time as long as the shifter is in reverse.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've got a 2006 Impreza (non-turbo) with 77,000 miles on it. I noticed it was leaking oil so I took it in for service. They said the cylinder gaskets need to be replaced and it'll cost me $2400.

How the gently caress does a meticulously maintained Subaru with that few miles on it need that kind of major service? I've taken it to the dealership every time for service, never missed an oil change, and I saved all the invoices to back that up. I don't know a drat thing about cars, just that I needed to keep mine properly maintained, and I thought I did that.

I definitely don't have $2400 to pay for this so I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do. My warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Anybody have any suggestions? Am I screwed? :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

8ender posted:

I did the opposite in an old piece of poo poo cavalier I had in high school. I parked on the street, and the plow had left a big pile of snow where I park. I achieved ramming speed :black101: and slammed over it, essentially beaching my car on a pile of snow. I really hated that car.

I hated myself when it didn't warm up that day like it was supposed to and I had to lower my car to the ground through very careful shoveling of the snow that was supporting its weight.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fletcher posted:

I've got a 2006 Impreza (non-turbo) with 77,000 miles on it. I noticed it was leaking oil so I took it in for service. They said the cylinder gaskets need to be replaced and it'll cost me $2400.

How the gently caress does a meticulously maintained Subaru with that few miles on it need that kind of major service? I've taken it to the dealership every time for service, never missed an oil change, and I saved all the invoices to back that up. I don't know a drat thing about cars, just that I needed to keep mine properly maintained, and I thought I did that.

I definitely don't have $2400 to pay for this so I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do. My warranty ran out at 60,000 miles. Anybody have any suggestions? Am I screwed? :(

Get a second opinion

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Get a second opinion

Yeah I agree with this. Subarus can leak oil from a ton of different places, like mine. I think I have about three different tiny oil leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

fletcher posted:

if it's not a warranty repair, don't have it done at the dealership. Find a good subaru mechanic/ subaru performance shop in your area, and you can get it done for less than half that.

Additionally, I would go back and bitch and complain that the car is a piece of poo poo and that it should be covered under warranty. On some models the headgasket warranty was extended to 100k miles.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 12, 2010