Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can't really screw yourself too bad, but you'll have an easier time if you pick two masteries that obviously go well together (ie two physicals or two magicals). Some easy examples are Defense+Warfare, Nature+Spirit, Rogue+Hunter, yadda yadda.

I didn't even know you got two. Well that makes my Rogue or Hunter decision a lot easier. Knowing you can buy points back helps too. Seems like a fun enough game an hour in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Anything for Far Cry? Checked the wiki and there was nothing.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows

Hello Pity posted:

Titan Quest?. An old one (might gave been addressed previously but the thread is pretty drat long) but it was cheap on Steam this week so I though I'd check it out.

Just wondering if there are any build/classes that I should avoid or if there's anything particularly good. Or if there's anyway to screw myself from the get go.

You can use this badboy to plan out your character skills. Not really a tip so much as a helpful way to NOT feel like you made terrible decisions along the way.

Someone posted that here months ago and it helped me plenty.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bob Shabazz posted:

There's been a ton through the thread but it's summed up as:

The AI is craptastic, you'll die a lot to rocket men in towers and the story takes a bend for otherworldly in the second half of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Bob Shabazz posted:

Learn to do accurate headshots on moving enemies. The second half of the game will be VERY hard otherwise.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've learned I have the day off tomorrow and decided to try to beat Half-Life 2 finally. I never got past some bullshit trap vent in HL1 (there are a couple of soldiers outside of it if anyone else got stuck there at any point) so I read the wiki before I started on 2. I'm just about an hour into 2, I've gotten this far about 3 times now and always get bored :(

I digress though, im focused this time damnit! I need to know why goons love this game so much so I was just wondering if there are any tips or poo poo i should know about certain points to keep me moving and kicking rear end. How long is the game anyways?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Titan Quest: Dream Mastery is the most overpowered mastery in the game. You can use it with literally any other mastery and you will instantly have a viable class that can take you through the whole game.

Archers basically shoot out exploding shotgun blasts of arrows once you get them built up enough. They are great against groups (they are actually capable of doing more raw damage than any other type of character against large groups), but are kind of tough to play by yourself. The rogue mastery or dream mastery are good matches for it. With the hunter/warrior or hunter/rogue combos, you can also make yourself a pretty bitchen' spear class.

Unfortunately there are some mastery combinations that just suck. And also unfortunately the degree to which they suck doesn't become apparent until either late in the game or partway into the next difficulty level. I don't remember if you can undo entire masteries, but respeccing isn't cheap anyways. I suggest that you google a little program called TQ Defiler to edit your save and basically give you free respecs.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Nitramster posted:

I've learned I have the day off tomorrow and decided to try to beat Half-Life 2 finally. I never got past some bullshit trap vent in HL1 (there are a couple of soldiers outside of it if anyone else got stuck there at any point) so I read the wiki before I started on 2. I'm just about an hour into 2, I've gotten this far about 3 times now and always get bored :(

I digress though, im focused this time damnit! I need to know why goons love this game so much so I was just wondering if there are any tips or poo poo i should know about certain points to keep me moving and kicking rear end. How long is the game anyways?

Just play until you get the weapon after you ditch the boat.

Make sure you explore around with things. There are a a lot of hidden secrets and such that can get you a lot of extra health ammo if you're having trouble. Play on Hard if you're finding the game too easy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nitramster posted:

Seriously, the airboat section is a drag, the game picks up again after that. You just need to get your head down and power through. And the episodes are better than HL2 as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I felt the airboat was one of the best parts. Raven-whatever pissed me off to no end because of annoying spawns and stunted pacing. It anything, that place will be the biggest downer to plow through.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah the infinitely respawning enemies there were a bummer. Also, the couple of "place turrets to fend off a massive onslaught of combine" sections were kind of lovely. Easily the two worst parts of the game, in an otherwise great FPS.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nitramster posted:

I beat it for the first time this weekend. It took me around 9 hours, but I had watched someone else play it before and I had played Episode 1 already, so I wasn't completely new. It's a pretty accessible game, although there were some confusing sections in the city and one of the larger battles was bullshit.

There isn't a whole lot of advice to give, most of everything is easy to figure out. As far as personal enjoyment, use every weapon you have. There are always ammo caches for difficult parts or segments where you need a weapon (rockets lying around when you shoot down helicopters), so if you hoard your supplies you're just depriving yourself of fun.

For the zombie level (We Don't Go To Ravenholm), keep moving, many of the zombies respawn. The crowbar is good for manhacks. The gravity gun isn't a massive part of combat, you can still shoot things for 90% of the game.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I beat it for the first time this weekend. It took me around 9 hours, but I had watched someone else play it before and I had played Episode 1 already, so I wasn't completely new. It's a pretty accessible game, although there were some confusing sections in the city and one of the larger battles was bullshit.

There isn't a whole lot of advice to give, most of everything is easy to figure out. As far as personal enjoyment, use every weapon you have. There are always ammo caches for difficult parts or segments where you need a weapon (rockets lying around when you shoot down helicopters), so if you hoard your supplies you're just depriving yourself of fun.

For the zombie level (We Don't Go To Ravenholm), keep moving, many of the zombies respawn. The crowbar is good for manhacks. The gravity gun isn't a massive part of combat, you can still shoot things for 90% of the game.

This reminds me: Ammo can get tight during Ravenholm, and there's a reason you go through that area right after getting the gravity gun. There are lots of sharp objects (Circular saw blades, for example) lying around in Ravenholm for you to pick up with the gravity gun and fire for decapitations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The gravity gun isn't a massive part of combat, you can still shoot things for 90% of the game.

You can also not shoot for a large portion of the game after getting the gravity gun. Killing combine with thrown physics objects is fun!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah the infinitely respawning enemies there were a bummer.
There were really only 3-4 sections (less than 10% of the area) that had respawning enemies. And those were just normal zombies, encouraging you to keep moving in the right direction.

Also, yes, it's amazing how many people don't put "you just got a new toy" + "plenty of fodder for new toy" + "little normal ammo" together and end up being frustrated after their normal guns run out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xander77 posted:

Also, yes, it's amazing how many people don't put "you just got a new toy" + "plenty of fodder for new toy" + "little normal ammo" together and end up being frustrated after their normal guns run out.

It's funny, if you try to do all of that town with only the gravity gun, like for the 360 achievement, it's pretty easy until EXACTLY when you are given the next gun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

There were really only 3-4 sections (less than 10% of the area) that had respawning enemies. And those were just normal zombies, encouraging you to keep moving in the right direction.

It took me forever to realize the fast headcrabs in the mineshaft near the end respawned and ended up wasting a ton of ammo. gently caress those fast headcrabs. Ravenholm's entire point was to get you acquainted with the gravity gun but it's such a buzzkill. The entire thing kills the tight pacing of the game as you're forced to go through annoying platform puzzles and defend several spots while Crazy Christian shoots things with a shotgun.

The next area is a vehicle section but it's so wonderfully put together. You'll drive past creepy abandoned houses, defend a town against a combine battalion, scale a collapsed bridge, and just have much more fun than zombie killing with saws and 2x4s.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
Skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see Mass Effect 2...Any things I should definitely know before starting? (Just finished ME1 a few days ago)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

BrokenLinux posted:

Skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see Mass Effect 2...Any things I should definitely know before starting? (Just finished ME1 a few days ago)

Don't be like me and pick engineer unless you want to challenge yourself or something.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
GameFly is shipping me Saboteur today (for the 360). Anything I should know going in?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Never played Silent Hill 2 when it was new, and it's on the way to me now. Can one even be given advice for this game?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Never played Silent Hill 2 when it was new, and it's on the way to me now. Can one even be given advice for this game?

On normal difficulty you can make it through almost the entire game without firing a shot. Melee weapons (you'll be using the pipe a lot) are your friends because two whacks will make anything fall down and it's only a matter of beating the enemy into submission from there.

I will say that you shouldn't read any spoilers on how to get the different endings because this is one of those rare games that has an organic method of acquiring the endings and you'll ruin it if you find out the mechanics behind it. Just play the game normally and watch the rest of the endings on youtube when you beat it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Press X when you've beaten an enemy to the ground and you'll instantly kick it to death (works on most enemies). Makes the whole game a breeze.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

GameFly is shipping me Saboteur today (for the 360). Anything I should know going in?

Most people use the silver and gold perks from the store (you can buy one of each) for the car collecting challenges. Use explosives liberally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Renoistic posted:

Press X when you've beaten an enemy to the ground and you'll instantly kick it to death (works on most enemies). Makes the whole game a breeze.
Does that work on the big guy with the knife and the funny hat?

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot
Anything I should know about White Knight Chronicles?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Very big "no."

Silent Hill 2 is honestly a game that you don't really need to know anything going in, unlike SH1 and its traditional methods of "you have to do X and Y to get the best ending and there's no way you'd know this beforehand." It's just fine if you're playing it for the first time and don't really know what to expect.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Requesting Dead Space. I just picked it up for cheap and I'm in the first chapter.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Requesting Dead Space. I just picked it up for cheap and I'm in the first chapter.

Pick one or two guns and focus on them. Ammo only drops for the weapons you're carrying, and if you focus your upgrade nodes on fewer tools, each will be more effective.

You only need one or two air upgrades in your suit; other than that, the health upgrades are really useful.

Always carry an extra node or two around; there are locked rooms you can use them to access, and the rewards inside are more valuable than the node itself.

I'm sure this is mentioned plenty, but don't ever stop dismembering your enemies. There is no exception to this rule. Knock off a couple limbs, then stomp them into paste. The sound/animation for stomping are among the best things about the game.

Don't be afraid to use your stasis module regularly. There are refill stations scattered about pretty liberally, and there will almost always be one available during or just before a sequence requiring it.

Stomp suspicious corpses. Sometimes they're waiting for you to pass by before they leap up and chew off your buttocks.

This game uses a fair few jump scares, so keep your head on straight and murder until everything calms down. You'll get a hang of it pretty quickly.

Forgot one: Some enemies can move through wall/floor/ceiling vents. Don't fight with your back to one unless you like having monsters on your rear end every ten seconds or so.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm about to start up X3: Terran Conflict, how hosed am I as far as a learning curve? I hear you can set up hug space stations, end up owning huge fleets and whatnot. Sounds great, whats the catch?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

BrokenLinux posted:

-You will be able to change how your imported character looks and his/her class. Pick Sentinel it is the best IMO.

-Depending on what you accomplished in ME1 you will recieve bonuses at the end of your first mission. Carrying over a level 60 Rich character will start you at level 5 with tons of cash and resources.

-There are a couple questions you'll be asked shortly after the game starts, only one will actually change the game world. It will be obvious which it is.

-There is no Charm or Intimidate now. Your Paragon/Renegade values determine your ability to use those conversation options, and your class' one passive ability will increase the amount of Paragon or Renegade you get from a conversation.

-Talk to everyone you enlist for your team, they all have upgrades for themselves or the Normandy that are only available after you ask about them.

-Upgrade your ship.

-No, seriously. Upgrade the gently caress out of your ship, it's actually important.

-If you cheat on your ME1 love interest, there will be "consequences" in ME3. Do it anyways because your selection is a lot better this time around.

-Each new weapon you pick up is always better than the one you had.

-The new mining feature for gathering resources from planets may look irritating, but it's not. Get the scanner upgrade from Miranda ASAP, only bother scanning planets that register as "Rich", and tap the Scan button as you move so it goes quicker.

-Make sure you stop by our solar system and attempt to probe Uranus.

-Pretty much every store will have something new in it when you get to the second half of the game.

-Feed your fish after every mission or they WILL die.

-It is possible to seduce Yeoman Kelly Chambers by obvious methods with no consequence to your other possible relationships. She will have a new conversation after almost every plot mission. Gain her favor and she'll offer to feed your fish for you (not a metaphor)

-All the non-combative crew members you can converse with have a little fetch quest you can do to improve morale. (no real effect to the gameplay)

-If you gain the loyalty of someone you enlist, they get access to a new outfit and power. Your Shepard can learn *one* of these bonus abilities through the Advanced Trainning research. If you pick a different one afterwards, it will overwrite your last choice and return the points spent in it.

-When you reach the mission with IFF in the title, you will only have a one mission window after you complete it before you need to go past the point of no return. There are very obvious consequences for procrastination.

-To get the best ending: You need common sense, a mostly loyal crew, and you need to actually *listen* to them.

-After you complete the game, if you survive, you can keep playing to wrap up any missions you still want done. Any save you make during this time is good to import to ME3.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

21stCentury posted:

Anything I should know about White Knight Chronicles?

It's not very good?

Sorry, that's not very helpful, or objective. One thing to know is that when you start the game you go through a bunch of menus to setup how your avatar looks. This is going to be the guy you play with online, and make sure you're happy with what he looks like, because you can't change it after you're done (without buying some $5 DLC). Note that this guy is also going be a silent participant in cut scenes during the single player campaign, which adds a certain comedy element to the game.

Another thing to know is that you're not going to be able to get into the online part of the game right away -- you have to play through an hour or two of the campaign (I guess your time might vary depending on how much you skip cutscenes). But don't expect to boot it up, set up an avatar, and then hop online with friends, like I did. Basically you have to get through a pretty typical JRPG opening segment, and regain access to the overworld map, before you can do any of the GeoNet stuff.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

-When you reach the mission with IFF in the title, you will only have a one mission window after you complete it before you need to go past the point of no return. There are very obvious consequences for procrastination.

This actually varies. I've seen the PNR hit right away, and I've seen it not hit for 3-4 missions. However, once the PNR hits, you can't do more than one mission before the last one or there will be consequences.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

m2pt5 posted:

This actually varies. I've seen the PNR hit right away, and I've seen it not hit for 3-4 missions. However, once the PNR hits, you can't do more than one mission before the last one or there will be consequences.

Yes, that's what was said. You can only do one mission after completing the "IFF" mission without there being consequences. In other words, make sure you've done everything you want to do before the "IFF" mission.

21stCentury
Jan 4, 2009

by angerbot

McCoy Pauley posted:

It's not very good?

Sorry, that's not very helpful, or objective. One thing to know is that when you start the game you go through a bunch of menus to setup how your avatar looks. This is going to be the guy you play with online, and make sure you're happy with what he looks like, because you can't change it after you're done (without buying some $5 DLC). Note that this guy is also going be a silent participant in cut scenes during the single player campaign, which adds a certain comedy element to the game.

Another thing to know is that you're not going to be able to get into the online part of the game right away -- you have to play through an hour or two of the campaign (I guess your time might vary depending on how much you skip cutscenes). But don't expect to boot it up, set up an avatar, and then hop online with friends, like I did. Basically you have to get through a pretty typical JRPG opening segment, and regain access to the overworld map, before you can do any of the GeoNet stuff.

Thanks, but that's what i already know... :\

Plus, i assume this thread isn't about subjective judgements of value!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Don't be like me and pick engineer unless you want to challenge yourself or something.

Engineer isn't that bad in ME2. You need to use your Drone a lot though. I mainly used the drone, incinerate, and overload in my play through. The drone is on a short cooldown, and is great for either distracting some enemies, or for pulling them out of cover. Your drone should almost always be active, especially once you get it to Rank 4, and it starts doing actual damage. Overload makes short work of shields or mechs. And Incinerate is good for a decent amount of damage on anything non-mech (overload is better on mechs) when your drone is already up.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Yes, that's what was said. You can only do one mission after completing the "IFF" mission without there being consequences. In other words, make sure you've done everything you want to do before the "IFF" mission.

What I said was that it could be from one to several missions after doing the IFF mission that your entire crew gets abducted, and after that happens you can only do one more before the final mission. That spoiler is the true PNR, but you don't control exactly when it happens.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

21stCentury posted:

Thanks, but that's what i already know... :\

Plus, i assume this thread isn't about subjective judgements of value!

Well, for what it's worth, the WKC thread here has a very excellent and detailed OP that helped me understand a lot of the basic game concepts, without spoiling anything. When I started WKC, I found that what I had read in that post was pretty helpful.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

When you see Pyramid Head, run. You can't kill him. Without spoiling anything, the game will literally tell you when you can actually kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

Once you get the ability to blow up bridges, you should do so immediately. The perk for it is great.

You should also steal 5 civilian vehicles and store them in your garage right off the bat. It gives you a racecar for getting around the city more easily.

The silenced SMG is badass.

You can win a car in the secret basement of the strip club.