Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Where should I start with Stevie Ray Vaughan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
With Stevie Ray Vaughan, you really can't go wrong with Texas Flood. I really think its a phenomenal album. Couldn't Stand the Weather is also good, but I'd recommend Texas Flood first. Also, on his Live Alive album, he plays a cover of Voodoo Chile that I think is pretty dang good.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Funyon posted:

Where do I start with post hardcore? I mostly listen to metal, but I'm finding it quite hard to get into anything with hardcore in the genre. I like my music more melodic, with less growly vocals. I've been listening to Such Small Hands by La Dispute a lot, but I have no idea where to go from there.

edit: oops, wrong thread. But like I said in the other, mewithoutYou.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I asked about the Mountain Goats a while back, and it turns out I've gone completely gay for everything I've ever heard from Mr. Darnielle, and am wondering how far back it's necessary to go in the catalog. I have everything as far back as The Coroner's Gambit, which I realize doesn't really include many of the "Going to..." and Alpha songs in their series.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

shpladoinkle posted:

I asked about the Mountain Goats a while back, and it turns out I've gone completely gay for everything I've ever heard from Mr. Darnielle, and am wondering how far back it's necessary to go in the catalog. I have everything as far back as The Coroner's Gambit, which I realize doesn't really include many of the "Going to..." and Alpha songs in their series.

All the way back.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

FitFortDanga posted:

All the way back.

Ooookay then, here goes nothing.

e: I was talking LPs, your thoughts on the EPs?

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 12, 2010

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
If I like the Police are there any Sting albums I should check out?

ebonight
Dec 5, 2002

X-Ray Spex: A loner Dottie, a rebel

Frog Strips posted:

This isn't really what the thread is for, but I've started listening to MF Doom. The Mouse and the Mask was great, the references to AQHF were kinda corny, and I really, really liked Mm Food.

I've noticed he's done ten million different collaborations and projects with one hundred million other people. For those of you who've heard a lot of his material, what do you think it worth picking up or locating.

Also, where would you guys recommend I start out with Ghostface Killah.

For DOOM I'd go along with everyone else and recommend the Madvillian album, but no one's mentioned Operation Doomsday which is the album that got me into him back when it came out. Also the KMD albums Mr. Hood and Black Bastards are both really good. I would also recommend Count Bass D who's on Potholderz off of Mmm Food, I'd start with Dwight Spitz and BEGBORROWSTEAL for him.

As far as Ghostface goes, I'm not sure why no one's mentioned Ironman because that was one of the best Wu releases when they first started branching out and doing solo stuff. Supreme Clientele and Fishscale are good, but I'd start with Ironman, RZA was at his top form production wise in those years.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
I'm trying to get more into old school folk music but I'm not sure where to start. I pretty much only know about Bob Dylan and Cat Stevens.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm trying to get more into old school folk music but I'm not sure where to start. I pretty much only know about Bob Dylan and Cat Stevens.

Woody Guthrie & Folkways' "Anthology of American Folk Music".

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Fame Throwa posted:

Pete Seeger's "We Shall Overcome: Complete Carnegie Hall Concert" double album is excellent and covers a lot of territory from the early-sixties folk movement. European ballads, American civil rights tunes, a few foreign-language classics, and some sing alongs. A ton of songs everybody knows were popularized by Pete (and his work with the Weavers). Plus, he's a fiend with a banjo.

Alternatively, you might enjoy the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" soundtrack and the live tour album, "Down From The Mountain". More bluegrass and blues than "straight" folk, but there are some great performances of some classics in there. (That movie was awesome.)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

shpladoinkle posted:

Anything you can get your hands on. Maybe I'm biased because I've been a fan from the very beginning, but I don't think there's a single bad (or even mediocre) Mountain Goats release.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

shpladoinkle posted:

You know, I find myself in the same position as the other people helping out with this. There really isn't a weak Mountain Goats release, and the best thing to do is download his back catalog one by one and work with that. Though to help you out, I would go with Zipotle Machine.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Well, if you're gonna go that far, might as well check out the real early stuff out of curiosity and completionism. I'll go for the EPs after the full albums, though, thanks guys.

Phav Nosnibor
Feb 10, 2010

The Consultant posted:

noise. i like Merzbow and Gerogerigegege but everything else i found (i honestly haven't looked very hard) just sounded like people messing around with sound effects rather than fully realized noise compositions.

People who do not just dick around with effects: Joe Colley/Crawl Unit (I'm a particularly big fan of his disc from that Ground Fault series a few years back and/or "The Future in Reverse"... good, understated stuff that rumbles around with a purpose and bites when it needs to), Randy Yau (often "R.H.Y. Yau"; just look around for MP3s, as the isolated tracks from compilations are as good as anything he released album-wise, and, let's face it, you're not going to find any of his tapes from the '90s now... nice and open, not afraid of silence), and maybe some Vertonen if you can find anything. It's all a lot quieter than what people usually point at as the peaks of the Merzbow discography, but some of it is seriously great stuff.
And if you want screeching and intensity, take a look at Antoine Chessex or his band Monno. (Actually, particularly his band Monno if we're talking recordings; live, Chessex can bruise your brain all by himself.) Sudden Infant puts on some interesting, thoughtful shows, too, and what I've heard of his recordings on Blossoming Noise has been worth the money. (He even does somewhat-recognizable covers!)

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with Ulrich Schnauss?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Iraff posted:

Where do I start with Ulrich Schnauss?

A Strangely Isolated Place was his big mainstream breakout album and that one's very solid, he doesn't really have a bad album IMO.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Where do I start with Mos Def and where do I go from him? Boy is crazy prolific.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Where do I start with Mos Def and where do I go from him? Boy is crazy prolific.

Not sure how best to proceed from there but Black on Both Sides is definitely the place to start with his solo work. Assuming you're already familiar with Black Star.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

Not sure how best to proceed from there but Black on Both Sides is definitely the place to start with his solo work. Assuming you're already familiar with Black Star.

Just got Black on Both Sides and am now working through A New Danger. I suppose it's dorky as hell, but I find Mos Def monstrously overwhelming.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Where do I start with post-Faith No More Mike Patton?

Where do I start with The Residents?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Rubber Biscuit posted:

I guess that depends on what you're looking for, really. The man's done everything from aggressive rock (see Tomahawk and the ep he did with the Dillinger Escape Plan to some electronica fused trip-hop ala Peeping Tom. There's some stuff he's done with John Zorn and the Fantômas thing. So, you've got that range of traditional to experimental to choose from. Personally, I like the Peeping Tom album quite a bit. He's got some keen guest stars, and tracks like this make the album for me.

I'm not familiar with the majority of his work, having heard little of the Tomahawk or the John Zorn stuff. Fantômas can be fun in a creepy sort of way. The album where they just cover movie themes like "The Omen" or "Rosemary's Baby" makes for great Halloween music and their joint venture with The Melvins is worth checking out too.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.
Where do I start with Eldkvärn, Fläskkvartetten/Flesh Quartet or any of Freddie Wädling's other projects?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Mouse Cadet posted:

If I like the Police are there any Sting albums I should check out?

No, there aren't.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Right, after loving the hell out of the CD he did with Aidan Baker, where do I go next with regards to Tim Hecker?

Tortilla Tequila
Nov 4, 2009
Where should I start with The Decemberists? I've had them on my MP3 player for ages and have yet to delve in.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Melt Banana?

Bon Iver?

Pre-Californication RHCP?

Explosions in the Sky?

Which Nas albums should I avoid?

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Where do I start with The Residents?

Here is my personal favorite Patton moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE6WvyYDimA (from the album Suspended Animation)

Fantomas is a great group if you're can let yourself get immersed. If it seems too weird, a better place to start would be the already recommended Director's Cut. Here's The Godfather theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmKnr0lODE

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 4, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

shitttt!!! quote is edit.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

the Bunt posted:

Bon Iver?

He has like, one album and one EP right? Get the album

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

the Bunt posted:

Pre-Californication RHCP?

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Not even a contest.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

the Bunt posted:

Explosions in the Sky?

Fan-favorite "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place," their so-called attempts at love songs, is utterly fantastic, but the songs blend together into a constant sound and isn't totally indicative of their range (which is, I admit somewhat limited to a very particular, but very pretty sound). After TEINACDP, try "All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone."

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Breakfast Cereal posted:

Where should I start with The Decemberists? I've had them on my MP3 player for ages and have yet to delve in.

Picaresque is definitely their best and my personal favorite, followed by Castaways and Cutouts and Her Majesty. The Crane Wife, although really really good, should be left until you've listened to the first three. Hazards of Love is was a nice risky album, but is obviously their worst (which isn't saying much considering how consistent they are).

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

Rhgr posted:

Right, after loving the hell out of the CD he did with Aidan Baker, where do I go next with regards to Tim Hecker?

Harmony in Ultraviolet and Radio Amor. I don't think anything else he's done really sounds like fantasma though

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Mos Def and Kool G Rap, where do I start with those two?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Skilleddk posted:

Mos Def and Kool G Rap, where do I start with those two?

Black on Both Sides and 4 5 6, respectively. Although depending on your taste for older rap you might like some of the G Rap/DJ Polo albums more.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

the Bunt posted:

Melt Banana
I would start with Cell-Scape as it is probably the most accessible and easy to get into of their records. Their earlier stuff is very lo-fi and abrasive but with Cell-Scape they made a turn to a more approachable and melodic style, Yako even sings on one of the songs! Their newest album Bambi's Dilemma is kind of a mix of their early and new styles but with the same hi-fi recording quality as Cell-Scape. However my personal favorite album has to be Teeny Shiny.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Not even a contest.

Holy poo poo, thanks for this. Why did they depart from this sound!?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

the Bunt posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for this. Why did they depart from this sound!?

a) 1991 came and went, and 90's alternative burns a glorious funeral pyre every day on modern rock radio stations

b) Frusciante decided the huge sudden fame sucked and wanted to be a junkie instead. He probably would have remained in that position had he not realized the band were going to replace him with Navarro. Unfortunately, he lost his junkie powers when he got sober. So go the powers, so go the sound.

c) Change or die?

d) They never really departed. Most every album has been the steady brand of funkish themed rock. It's just that they realized what singles worked and which ones didn't?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

They are certainly more pop radio funk more than anything now. In fact, I prefer Frusciante's solo work over 2000s RHCP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Where do I start with The Brian Jonestown Massacre?