Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Doctor Zero posted:

It's not sneaky, it actually makes sense. The idea is that the general populace doesn't want to pay for motorcycle programs (or whatever) and that the special programs don't want their funds raided when the budget shortfalls hit (because the money doesn't come out of the general funds). It makes it far harder to kill a program if it is specially funded, and is supposed to ensure funding for a small segment of the population. You want to ride bikes? You pay for the MSF.

Of course, in reality they end up raiding the special funds for cash when they get in trouble anyway, even though they aren't supposed to. :argh:

In Texas we're taxed for that but they don't actually fund any. True Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

That's why they call it a use tax.

Since I'm the 3rd owner of my 2010 Ducati (seriously...) Washington state has made something like $2,700 in tax off it in 2009.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Doctor Zero posted:

Huh? It's not opinion. In TN at least that's the idea behind those special fees. I wasn't attempting to say if it's right or wrong, just that there's nothing "sneaky" behind it (unless you find the special programs themselves sneaky). TX might do it differently, though.

I was saying that whether it should be done that way is a matter of opinion, didn't mean anything personal by it.

And yeah "use" tax is pretty gay, it's like how dividends are taxed twice. The current tax system in general is pretty gay.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Since I'm the 3rd owner of my 2010 Ducati (seriously...) Washington state has made something like $2,700 in tax off it in 2009.

That's assuming 3X the tax you paid? It was more for the 2nd owner, and even more for the 1st owner. They probably made closer to $4000.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39381

Holy poo poo, Suzuki's not homogulating the 2010 GSX-Rs? No importing? Goddamn, that's...insane.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Endless Mike posted:

That's why they call it a use tax.

bull. That's what your yearly registrations pay for. And property taxes. That pays for USE. At least in illinois the used sale tax costs are low enough to not even be a bother. And they have the balls to call it a sales tax here.

And line item fees almost never actually goes to pay the projects they're earmarked for...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nerobro posted:

bull. That's what your yearly registrations pay for. And property taxes. That pays for USE. At least in illinois the used sale tax costs are low enough to not even be a bother. And they have the balls to call it a sales tax here.

And line item fees almost never actually goes to pay the projects they're earmarked for...
I was being sarcastic.

Sales tax on (new or used) vehicles is 3% here, so it's actually not that big a deal.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Well, my east coast and southern US friends, looks like you'll be taking some snow days off from the bike, won't you?

So, I will do the riding for you. In Alaska. That seems normal!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Well, my east coast and southern US friends, looks like you'll be taking some snow days off from the bike, won't you?

This is what we got in north TX today and it's still snowing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We got something like four feet between Saturday and Wednesday, and have more coming on Tuesday. :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was supposed to try ice racing this weekend, but my dad's friend wrecked the piston rings on the bike that's set up for it. Somehow most of that snowstorm missed us, so the lake should still be fairly clear.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnomad posted:

If I lived in an area that got enough snow to justify a set of studded tires I would love to ride in the snow. Sadly the 2-3 days of snow we have had so far just aren't enough for me to swap tires/wheels for studs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=39381

Holy poo poo, Suzuki's not homogulating the 2010 GSX-Rs? No importing? Goddamn, that's...insane.

It's not a big deal, there's no new/updated 2010 Zooks anyway, they've obviously just got more than enough 09 stock to cover sales they've projected.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At least they're being smart about it. They could bring over all the 2010's and then be all :qq: we have all this overstock!!!!!!!! :qq:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

At least BMW is optimistic about 2010: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/5762/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Motorcycles-Bullish-About-2010.aspx

Keep buying bikes, CA!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's not a big deal, there's no new/updated 2010 Zooks anyway, they've obviously just got more than enough 09 stock to cover sales they've projected.

Yeah it's just weird that they won't even homogulate the latest bikes. Of course, they're probably not offering contingency anymore either.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Yeah it's just weird that they won't even homogulate the latest bikes. Of course, they're probably not offering contingency anymore either.

I'll homogulate you if you don't behave. ;-*

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Z3n posted:

Hahaha that's the second time i hear the word homogulate in my life and the first was a couple hours ago

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I'll homogulate you if you don't behave. ;-*

Better watch out, i hear that baglbeabs* is the only man allowed to homogulate on his turf.

niethan posted:

Hahaha that's the second time i hear the word homogulate in my life and the first was a couple hours ago

You say one thing, but your avatar says another ;)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 12, 2010

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

drat you, Rochester (and RIT), and your obscene preference for blanketing the whole place in salt.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm a little worried about the ride home tonight. I live in Florida and we're having some pretty nasty weather. They are calling for possible black ice on bridges in the area. I have to travel a 3-mile bridge on my way home. I have zero riding experience on ice/snow. Any tips?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a little worried about the ride home tonight. I live in Florida and we're having some pretty nasty weather. They are calling for possible black ice on bridges in the area. I have to travel a 3-mile bridge on my way home. I have zero riding experience on ice/snow. Any tips?

Get a ride?

Bridges ice over before the roadways do, and the possibility of a 3 mile stretch of black ice for the unitiated is not recommended. If you have to do it, travel in the track of a car in front of you. If there is enough traffic, the heat from the tires may keep the pavement from freezing. Be mindfull of steering, throttle and braking and most of all, relax! If you can keep the wheels rolling you can ride over almost any surface, but getting all hunched up and tense wil transmit extraneous steering inputs and you don't want that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gnomad posted:

Get a ride?

Bridges ice over before the roadways do, and the possibility of a 3 mile stretch of black ice for the unitiated is not recommended. If you have to do it, travel in the track of a car in front of you. If there is enough traffic, the heat from the tires may keep the pavement from freezing. Be mindfull of steering, throttle and braking and most of all, relax! If you can keep the wheels rolling you can ride over almost any surface, but getting all hunched up and tense wil transmit extraneous steering inputs and you don't want that.

Thanks for the tip. I made it home in one piece, nothing too exciting except for it being balls cold.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Ninja 650R Update: So it turns out that it's actually been impounded since mid December or something and it's $20 a day for storage, so it was about $650 plus 6 hours driving and gas to get it out. I had a friend pick it up and I'm going to see it tomorrow - I'll post pics. Apparently it was stolen and the guy was running from the cops at 140MPH, which is fast as the bike will go. He dumped the bike eventually and ran on foot, but the cops caught him.

The brief description that I got of it was that the gas tank seemed in all right condition, the bike was mechanically in one piece (had to have been to be going 140MPH), and that the handlebars were screwed up from being ditched during the cop chase.

Still, getting it back in working condition for $700 isn't bad. Gonna wait a couple months to see if the PO ever gets back to me, then either part it out or fix it up depending on the condition.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Take a mountain bike, toss in a 17hp engine and some other goodies. You get the FX Bike https://www.fxbikes.com

Now I want to build my own with a 50-125cc two stroke with a full clutch but then I would pretty much end up with a trials bike.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 14, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
All the traffic info signs on the freeways today had "share the road, look twice for motorcyclists" on them, I thought that was pretty cool.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

redscare posted:

All the traffic info signs on the freeways today had "share the road, look twice for motorcyclists" on them, I thought that was pretty cool.

In the summer, Texas folds up their "watch for ice" signs and it shows a picture of a motorcycle and reads "Share the Road". I imagine most people see that and think to themselves "about time someone put those maniacs on bikes in their place :smug:"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

redscare posted:

I'm in San Diego for the weekend and I saw a couple of those. I'm also surprised by how few bikers I see out here. I think I've seen like eight bikes total on the highways and another half dozen around Coranado. Still, that's a infinitely more bikes that I've seen on the snow covered streets of IL.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My father just brought home an '08 CBR 600RR from crashedtoys.com so we can tool around in the middleweight class this season.

I had to test ride it.

I live in Wisconsin.

I can't feel my face :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

T-Square posted:

My father just brought home an '08 CBR 600RR from crashedtoys.com so we can tool around in the middleweight class this season.

I had to test ride it.

I live in Wisconsin.

Don't scratch the black patches that will form, no matter how much they itch.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

T-Square posted:

I had to test ride it.

I live in Wisconsin.

I had the same experience today with my $600 Ninja 650R. Finally saw it today and it was in remarkably good shape. The fairings on one side were busted and someone went crazy with black spray paint, all over engine, frame, gas tank, and plastics. But it had only an extra 3000 miles since I sold it and the engine started straight up and ran great for the 10 minutes I rode it in 40 degree temps with no helmet (dumbest thing I've ever done). Can't wait for a couple months to pass so I can register it and start riding it again. Already ordered new ignition, gas cap, and helmet lock for it for an absolute steal ($80 with key). Along with a couple hundred bucks for new tires, I'll have a 650R in great shape for under a grand.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
You lucky bastard. If only 650R's hadn't started out in 2006, they're enticing machines. My budget is only as far as the SV650 :(

bung
Dec 14, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Take a mountain bike, toss in a 17hp engine and some other goodies. You get the FX Bike https://www.fxbikes.com

Now I want to build my own with a 50-125cc two stroke with a full clutch but then I would pretty much end up with a trials bike.

I really want one of those.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

drat you, Rochester (and RIT), and your obscene preference for blanketing the whole place in salt.

I was going to make a joke about those icons actually being pictures of road salt, but you beat me right to it. :v:

...I took a screenshot of my own weather app screen, though I'll refrain from posting it. That would be mean.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

T-Square posted:

I had to test ride it.

I live in Wisconsin.

drat you!

I had to drag the Yamahas out of the garage today (in the sunny-but-still-28*-afternoon) and ride them around the apartment complex. Uh...to make sure they still ran. Or something.

I couldn't feel my cheeks or the tops of my thighs for about 10 minutes after I came back in the house. But I think the grin was welded (frozen?) to my face.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I was being sarcastic.

Sales tax on (new or used) vehicles is 3% here, so it's actually not that big a deal.

Wow, you're loving lucky. Californians have to pay full-rate sales tax (highest in the nation, usually) on vehicle prices that are usually higher anyways. Paying 9% on a car or bike sucks.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Radbot posted:

Wow, you're loving lucky. Californians have to pay full-rate sales tax (highest in the nation, usually) on vehicle prices that are usually higher anyways. Paying 9% on a car or bike sucks.

If I remember correctly tax is a flat 28 bucks here in Illinois for buying a used bike.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Rear brakes on the 250 needed changing today. Turns out I had a set of sintered pads lying around from when I did my fronts last month. Didn't feel like ordering in new pads so I went ahead and popped the sintereds (is that a word? well it is now) on the back :krad:

Fun times ahead!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

-Inu- posted:

Rear brakes on the 250 needed changing today. Turns out I had a set of sintered pads lying around from when I did my fronts last month. Didn't feel like ordering in new pads so I went ahead and popped the sintereds (is that a word? well it is now) on the back :krad:

Fun times ahead!

Have you tried them out yet? I've heard its stupid easy to lock the rear up with sintered pads, though maybe that's just a pre-2008 thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Radbot posted:

Yeah, I'd pay that if I could ride year round. As it is, I dug my covered bike out of four feet of snow this morning.