Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

Speaking of which: what was the point of the Austin vs Kane first blood match? Was it to make it an automatic loss for Austin? Kane was literally covered, save for the back of his head and maybe his hand.

that was the setup vince booked a match that in practice kane couldnt lose because you couldnt tell when he was bleeding. in the match kane was bleeding first but the ref couldnt see it. kane blasted austin with a chair and busted him open to win it was kind of an awesome match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

LightsGameraAction posted:

That's not half as terrible as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBFPDoQpqU

Not like blading is good or anything, but I guess when you've got main eventers acting too dumb-assed to even make it look believable you've gotta call it quits.

There was a wrestler who talked about how he would blade midway through that move and toss the blade before he landed, and you could never tell. I wanna say it was HBK but Im not sure.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Sionistic posted:

There was a wrestler who talked about how he would blade midway through that move and toss the blade before he landed, and you could never tell. I wanna say it was HBK but Im not sure.

I feel like most wrestlers just do the "take the hit, fall, hold head, blade then" method with hits like that. Really if you can't help but make it obvious you're blading yourself before a hit it's best not to bleed from the hit at all. Unless I guess it's a first blood match.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

AkumaHokoru posted:

that was the setup vince booked a match that in practice kane couldnt lose because you couldnt tell when he was bleeding. in the match kane was bleeding first but the ref couldnt see it. kane blasted austin with a chair and busted him open to win it was kind of an awesome match.

Kane didn't bleed as far as I know.

Also it was The Undertaker that made Austin bleed.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Veg posted:

Kane didn't bleed as far as I know.

Also it was The Undertaker that made Austin bleed.

kane was infact bleeding under his mask. his hair and mask hid it but he was bleeding first.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I remember during one of the many Cena/Orton matches last year, Cena dropped a blade and the ref picked it up. Are there many similar instances that have been caught onscreen?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

I remember during one of the many Cena/Orton matches last year, Cena dropped a blade and the ref picked it up. Are there many similar instances that have been caught onscreen?

it wasn't a blade. this was during the hell in a cell PPV which was during the current no-blood policy.

but to answer your question yes that has happened before but I don't know any specific examples

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I was browsing WWEClassics.com and they've got 25 matches from Cena's first year in the company (2002) and only one is over 7 minutes and it's a tag team match. I had taken a break at this point and didn't get back in until 2004. What was his first year like? Anything worth watching? I can figure it out myself to not watch what I presume are squashes vs the likes of Billy Kidman and Rico's of that era but there are a few matches with Jericho in there.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Sionistic posted:

I don't know if he said or not, but HBK does a beautiful example of that during the HIAC with Undertaker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bearnt! posted:

I was browsing WWEClassics.com and they've got 25 matches from Cena's first year in the company (2002) and only one is over 7 minutes and it's a tag team match. I had taken a break at this point and didn't get back in until 2004. What was his first year like? Anything worth watching? I can figure it out myself to not watch what I presume are squashes vs the likes of Billy Kidman and Rico's of that era but there are a few matches with Jericho in there.

Cena's debut against Kurt Angle was really exciting stuff because they really played up that maybe he WAS going to win against Angle. His stuff with Edge and Rey was entertaining, and his feuds with Eddie Guerrero and Brock Lesnar were pretty entertaining too. I couldn't give you an exact timeline but I'm pretty sure those all fell within his first year.

During his first couple of months at least he used to come out wearing ring gear in the color of <Local City Sports Team> for cheap pops and always had this generically happy look on his face. His Vanilla Ice routine at the superb Smackdown Halloween Special was great and then he shifted into the white rapper gimmick and really developed his personality.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

then he shifted into the white rapper gimmick

Why does it matter that he's white? Huh?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Jerusalem posted:

Cena's debut against Kurt Angle was really exciting stuff because they really played up that maybe he WAS going to win against Angle. His stuff with Edge and Rey was entertaining, and his feuds with Eddie Guerrero and Brock Lesnar were pretty entertaining too. I couldn't give you an exact timeline but I'm pretty sure those all fell within his first year.

I have seen his debut against Angle before which I liked a lot even with his silly hair and "I'm John Cena!" From then until his first feud with the Undertaker I don't think I've seen anything. Never saw the early stuff vs Brock, Eddie, Rey and Edge I'll have to dig that up, thanks.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Is JBL's run as a main eventer worth looking into at all? I watched wrestling for about a year or so somewhere around the middle/tail end of it and both in the ring and on the mic me and all my friends thought he was just so goddamn awful and boring as poo poo. Is there any part of his run that contradicts this?

Also, how in the gently caress did Bradshaw ever get to be a main eventer?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Is JBL's run as a main eventer worth looking into at all? I watched wrestling for about a year or so somewhere around the middle/tail end of it and both in the ring and on the mic me and all my friends thought he was just so goddamn awful and boring as poo poo. Is there any part of his run that contradicts this?

No matches are worth watching, he did some good promos on occasion, and it was pretty strange to see a heel george bush impersonater running around in 2004.

gently caress knows why, lack of other options, had a long career and they thought he deserved a reward I guess V:)V

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This was a terrible time for Smackdown in general, as they were really starved for main eventers, partially because of the brand split, which caused both shows to suffer, and partially because Austin, Rock, Goldberg, and Brock were all gone. This was the obvious motivation for JBL being brought up, and even then Eddie Guerrero had to go to bat for him backstage.

So one week he broke up with APA after Farooq was retired/fired, and the next week his George W. Bush gimmick started. He was elevated from seemingly midcard-for-life status to world champion within a few weeks. The PPV where he won the title is a hilariously bad card.

It was also terrible because he had a god-awful stable full of jobbers, none of whom really went anywhere after it was broken up (the Bashams and Orlando Jordan), although I think Jillian Hall is still around. On the WWE roundtable show they went as far as to single The Cabinet out as one of the worst stables ever. Orlando Jordan eventually became U.S. Champion for about 800 years, and the only memorable thing that came of this was Chris Benoit making him tap out for it in 25 seconds at I think Summerslam '06.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This was a terrible time for Smackdown in general, as they were really starved for main eventers, partially because of the brand split, which caused both shows to suffer, and partially because Austin, Rock, Goldberg, and Brock were all gone. This was the obvious motivation for JBL being brought up, and even then Eddie Guerrero had to go to bat for him backstage.

So one week he broke up with APA after Farooq was retired/fired, and the next week his George W. Bush gimmick started. He was elevated from seemingly midcard-for-life status to world champion within a few weeks. The PPV where he won the title is a hilariously bad card.

It was also terrible because he had a god-awful stable full of jobbers, none of whom really went anywhere after it was broken up (the Bashams and Orlando Jordan), although I think Jillian Hall is still around. On the WWE roundtable show they went as far as to single The Cabinet out as one of the worst stables ever. Orlando Jordan eventually became U.S. Champion for about 800 years, and the only memorable thing that came of this was Chris Benoit making him tap out for it in 25 seconds at I think Summerslam '06.

Hahahaha christ. I just looked up that ppv. The main event was a handicap match between the dudleys and Undertaker. What the hell?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
How did that happen? How did they not have anyone built up enough yet to really carry their shows?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

How did that happen? How did they not have anyone built up enough yet to really carry their shows?

They lost Brock Lesnar the guy they had spent 2 years making into the next big thing just 4 months earlier. Edward had just been elevated from career upper midcarder to main event and was losing the title. So, your two most recently created stars on the brand are out as potential champions.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

DannoMack posted:

They did.

Chris Benoit went to Raw. Edge was drafted to Raw. Kurt Angle was injured. Booker T, Rey, Cena, and Big Show were about upper-midcard at best. Undertaker just returned (to a part-time schedule). Eddie was the only full-time main eventer and he had only been pushed to main event status a couple of months ago.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

DannoMack posted:

Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Austin, and The Rock all left right around that time within months of one another. With the exception of Undertaker most previously active main eventers were on RAW.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

I guess I didn't really know much about what was going on with Brock. Did he leave really suddenly then?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

DannoMack posted:

I guess I didn't really know much about what was going on with Brock. Did he leave really suddenly then?

The news broke like a week before Wrestlemania so yeah pretty sudden.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Triple H's bitterness about Brock's leaving now makes a whole lot more sense to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

Triple H's bitterness about Brock's leaving now makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Brock's response: Hey you Greenwich priss, wanna fight about it?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Meanwhile, Raw had

Triple H
Shawn Michaels
Chris Benoit
Mick Foley
Edge
Kane
Randy Orton
Jericho
Ric Flair
Batista
Christian
and sporadic Rock appearances

I think it was the most imbalanced the brand split has ever been

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

DannoMack posted:

Never heard anything about this, what's the story?

Also, isn't Brock's last match in the WWE considered one of the worst wrestling matches of all time?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, isn't Brock's last match in the WWE considered one of the worst wrestling matches of all time?

Pretty much everyone was pissed, mainly because it was seen as Brock being unable to suck it up. Everyone jobbed for him except for Austin, and the future of the company was riding on him.

The last match was bad because it broke to the smarky MSG crowd that both Goldberg and Brock were leaving, so they poo poo all over it. Then they wrestled a 1983 big-man style match, during which Brock was obviously distracted by the crowd (Goldberg didn't give much of a poo poo). Woo doggy.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

He talks about Lesnar around the 7:35 mark in this interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1FcnvEF2F0&NR=1) but i remember reading a few things where guys condemned Lesnar because so many guys lost to make him look good.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

DannoMack posted:

He talks about Lesnar around the 7:35 mark in this interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1FcnvEF2F0&NR=1) but i remember reading a few things where guys condemned Lesnar because so many guys lost to make him look good.

That's understandable. I stopped watching right around the beginning of Brock's run so I missed out on most of it at the time, but I remember hearing for a while about what a douche Lesnar apparently was in real life.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Web Jew.0 posted:

Meanwhile, Raw had

Triple H
Shawn Michaels
Chris Benoit
Mick Foley
Edge
Kane
Randy Orton
Jericho
Ric Flair
Batista
Christian

Batista, christian and jericho sure weren't main event then, and both the rock and mick foley were gone by then. It was bad, but it wasn't quite that unbalanced.

It was however, the era where I started watching, and chris benoit was the loving man.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
L

Wazzu posted:

Batista, christian and jericho sure weren't main event then, and both the rock and mick foley were gone by then. It was bad, but it wasn't quite that unbalanced.

It was however, the era where I started watching, and chris benoit was the loving man.

Well I mentioned booker/rey/cena/show when I was talking about smackdown so I figured the cut off was former and future world champions. And if foley had wrestled a couple times on SD leading to a Judgment day match, and the rock showed a few times on SD that would've been notable as well. Y'know?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Meanwhile, Raw had

Triple H
Shawn Michaels
Chris Benoit
Mick Foley
Edge
Kane
Randy Orton
Jericho
Ric Flair
Batista
Christian

Now imagine how frustrating it was to be a wrestling fan who didn't have cable at this point. RAW had this top heavy card of really good guys, and Smackdown had a locker room bully with horns on his car.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Y'know it wasn't so much lack of talent but the way they were booked I guess.

Undertaker - dudley boys, papa shango, loses to jbl a bunch of times, unfrozen nazi, terrorists, and well randy orton wouldn't be on this list if they had feuded for less than ten consecutive months

Rey - tag team hell with RVD. No they never had a match against London/Kendrick.

RVD - tag team hell with Rey of all people

Booker T - had a great yearlong arc where he lost three feuds until finally winning the big one at Wrestlemania 25 preshow battle royal

Kurt Angle - enters boring 6-month feud with the Big Show. Wrestles plants and Santa. Hell even after his phenomenal HBK program (which I'm going to say would've been impossible to gently caress up even in WCW 2000/TNA 2010) he entered the shittiest program possible where he lusted for bestiality and booker t of all people beats him clean

Eddie Guerrero - Luther Reigns lol

John Cena - oh never mind he had a bunch of ***** matches with Rene Dupree, Kenzo Suzuki, and Jesus

Big Show - dignity raped

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.
The Wrestlemania pre-show battle royal was 21, not 25. Also, I believe Booker T broke the Masterlock during that too.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Guzim posted:

The Wrestlemania pre-show battle royal was 21, not 25. Also, I believe Booker T broke the Masterlock during that too.

oh sorry i meant 2005. him breaking the masterlock was like the key moment his career turned around then...

losing to triple h - losing to the undertaker - losing to john cena - losing to jbl
BREAKS MASTERLOCK
wins wrestlemania preshow battle royal - beats kurt angle - beats chris benoit - world heavyweight champion

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

RVD - tag team hell with Rey of all people

You forgot the part where RVD injures his leg and is gone for an entire year, minus a couple of one-off appearances.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
We're deep in the PG era now, but what was the most profane segment ever in mainstream wrestling, language-wise? (old ECW doesn't count as mainstream)

I guess only stuff that was actually spoken into a live mic should count. The naughtiest stuff I can think of was wasted on a random Diva Search segment and a Kid Rock concert. Other than that, there was Bret's infamous tirade right before Wrestlemania 13. Also from around 2000-2003, they seemed to make a point of saying "poo poo" on major WWE PPVs.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 12, 2010

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009

Minidust posted:

We're deep in the PG era now, but what was the most profane segment ever in mainstream wrestling, language-wise? (old ECW doesn't count as mainstream)

I guess only stuff that was actually spoken into a live mic should count. The naughtiest stuff I can think of was wasted on a random Diva Search segment and a Kid Rock concert. Other than that, there was Bret's infamous tirade right before Wrestlemania 13. Also from around 2000-2003, they seemed to make a point of saying "poo poo" on major WWE PPVs.

Vince Russo's (worked) shoot at Bash at the Beach 2000 comes to mind, but there might be something rougher I haven't seen.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Who do you guys think is the biggest rear end in a top hat in real life?

For the longest time now I've always assumed it was Flair. Almost everything I've read about his personal life makes him sound like a douche bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Who do you guys think is the biggest rear end in a top hat in real life?

For the longest time now I've always assumed it was Flair. Almost everything I've read about his personal life makes him sound like a douche bag.

Russo. he always considered what he did on tv to be a character...and yet he really believed all that poo poo.